Author Topic: JLB Live Facebook Chat  (Read 2708 times)

Offline goo-goo

JLB Live Facebook Chat
« on: July 30, 2017, 04:36:16 PM »
He answered my question: "Any Official Bootlegs on the horizon?"
He said yes, probably 2018...He mentioned Images and Astonishing shows...

Offline gzarruk

Re: JLB Live Facebook Chat
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 04:50:22 PM »
He answered my question: "Any Official Bootlegs on the horizon?"
He said yes, probably 2018...He mentioned Images and Astonishing shows...

That's great news! I remember a recent interview with him (https://digi.heavymag.com.au/contents-digi-mag-26/dream-theater/) where he confirmed they record pretty much every show they do, so that made me think of something like this.

Did he talk about his next solo album and/or the direction the next DT album is going to have?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 05:10:03 PM »
Yes

-Solo album sometime in 2018.
-He mentioned that the band has an idea of the new album's direction but he didn't want to discuss it further.

I did see Eric Gillette, Alex Argento, Marco Sfogli and Jordan Rudess join the chat (but not participate).

He also said the band decided no official live DVD recording of the Images and Words 25th Anniversary tour...So I am assuming, based on his official bootleg reply, that only audio would be released of this Anniv. Tour (assuming the bootlegs get released).

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 05:33:04 PM »
Thanks for the summary! Now I don't have to sit through the whole thing  ;D

I just want them to finish this tour and focus on the next album already  :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 07:48:29 AM »
It really blows that the music industry has reached a point where artists can't even film a show for a live release. Sad times.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 07:57:11 AM »
It really blows that the music industry has reached a point where artists can't even film a show for a live release. Sad times.

Yes, it's a huge bummer. Especially for a band like Dream Theater, whose live releases have historically done really well. That said, if we get audio recordings of The Astonishing and I&W that have at least some professional touching up, I'm sure I'll enjoy them.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 08:09:50 AM »

Yes, it's a huge bummer. Especially for a band like Dream Theater, whose live releases have historically done really well. That said, if we get audio recordings of The Astonishing and I&W that have at least some professional touching up, I'm sure I'll enjoy them.

I'll admit that I'm thrilled to be getting a live version of TA in some form. I hope it's mastered well. The really killer with that tour was not only didn't we get a live recording, but the cellphone ban has really limited what we can go back and see and relive. I personally love live recordings (video footage) of concerts. They're great in my hobby room. I get to have music on while I'm working on my RC truck fleet or painting stuff, and when a cool solo or something happens I get to look up and see it done.

It really sucks. With LAB's multi-angle Instrumedley as a bonus, I thought the future of live concert recordings would have been entire performances/concerts in multi-angle thanks to the adoption of high capacity bluray, and now we don't get anything at all.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 08:11:32 AM »

For Astonishing I think they should do a DVD / CD combo with the DVD showing the contents from the background screens if no other video is available.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 08:46:42 AM »
I wish DT could film with lower budgest or making crowdfunding and release a DVD from every tour like official bootlegs. IMO I guess what is really missing is a change of business mentallity from DT and to get a little closer to the core fans.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 09:07:54 AM »
Its highly likely they'll do The Astonishing. The ban may work for their benefit here.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 09:18:18 AM »
I'm just happy we'll be getting more official bootlegs.

The situation could be better, but this is nice. Plus, with an Astonishing bootleg coming, I'll probably finally buy those last couple of official bootlegs I've been holding off on getting for so long along with it. :)

Anyway, good Q&A overall. Good fun, very interesting.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:24:08 AM by Robo4900 »
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 02:09:43 PM »
Bootleg(s)? Cool! Looking forward to it.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 02:40:59 PM »
Now, the question isn't if they're going to release them, but when  :huh:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 03:35:36 PM »
Now, the question isn't if they're going to release them, but when  :huh:

SOON

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 03:54:29 PM »

What do you mean by this?  Plenty of other artists, much smaller than DT are releasing live videos (Delain, Circus Maximus both soon, Devin Townsend has many and more to come).

But that's cool to know they have some audio recordings from the TA shows to use.  It really sucks though because that tour had some awesome visuals to go along with it that may never see the light of day again.

Also, I didn't watch but blabbermouth had an article saying JLB solo band is going to be playing ProgPower 2018 and is going to try and do some more shows around that time frame.  That'll be awesome, I'd love to see his solo band live.

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 12:45:34 PM »
Anyone got a link to the video? Last week on FB they said they had to reschedule JLB live vid, then I didn't hear anything else about it. And now I can't find it anywhere lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 01:21:04 PM »
Anyone got a link to the video? Last week on FB they said they had to reschedule JLB live vid, then I didn't hear anything else about it. And now I can't find it anywhere lol

He did one prior to that DT.net announcement. It should be somewhere in his FB, the one he previously did.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 10:38:26 PM »

He did one prior to that DT.net announcement. It should be somewhere in his FB, the one he previously did.
You can find it at DTF Facebook page, You have to dig a little but it was there couple days ago  ;)