Author Topic: Those who have had items signed/gone to meet and greet...please help  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Longestnight71316

Hi Everyone! 
I've been a fan of DT since I first heard them in 1995. 
I was fortunate enough to see them twice in Atlanta in the late 90's and then again last year in Charlotte for The Astonishing Live tour.  All the most incredible experiences.  There is no other band I love more...can't begin to explain what their music means to me. 

My 40th is in November and they're going to be within driving distance (Raleigh), so as a birthday gift to myself I am going to purchase the VIP Meet and Greet package.  I read the thread here about how to have something to say prepared for the M&G, but I need help knowing what to have signed. 

I saw on their website a poster that's says is designed for the M&G, but it's a black and white photo with black on the edges...so the only area they could sign with a black sharpie would be on their faces.  Not what I would want.  Sorry to be so long winded.  I follow on here a lot, but didn't join until last year and haven't posted until now. 

Oh...
I don't have anything other than my CD's and the little pamphlet from the concert last year...and all but one of the women's t's I could find online were black. 

So help me out, please.  What should I purchase.  And I am assuming you don't get the photo of you with the band until after the event, so that's out.  Thanks in advance!

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Those who have had items signed/gone to meet and greet...please help
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 02:59:49 PM »
The way they did the picture in 2011 was that you get it before the show and sometime in the next day or who knows maybe few hours, you will get a link to download your picture.  Things may have changed. Also if the poster is black and white, get a gold marker and their signatures will stand out.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 03:09:36 PM »
During the Self Titled tour, my GF surprised me with Meet and Greet Tickets. She also bought me a copy of Octavarium on vinyl to get signed.

It was funny because Mangini looked at it and said "you... know I didn't play on this, right? Do you still want me to sign it?" I explained that he's part of Dream Theater, and I see no reason why I shouldn't want him to sign it if he's willing to sign it.

Also this
The way they did the picture in 2011 was that you get it before the show and sometime in the next day or who knows maybe few hours, you will get a link to download your picture.  Things may have changed. Also if the poster is black and white, get a gold marker and their signatures will stand out.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 06:40:14 PM »
During the Self Titled tour, my GF surprised me with Meet and Greet Tickets. She also bought me a copy of Octavarium on vinyl to get signed.

It was funny because Mangini looked at it and said "you... know I didn't play on this, right? Do you still want me to sign it?" I explained that he's part of Dream Theater, and I see no reason why I shouldn't want him to sign it if he's willing to sign it.

Yeah some would refuse but if it has special meaning to you and they are clear they weren't on it then I see nothing wrong with it either.

I've had a few people do that but only if they are touring in support if the album and weren't on the recording. Just my personal preference.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 08:38:30 PM »
I wondered about that because I have two copies of Images and Words, but didn't know if Mangini would want to sign it.  I would want him to, because like you I see him as just as much a part of the band so why not sign it (especially this being the I&W tour)!

But, a gold sharpie with the black and white poster is good.  I wasn't sure if I could bring my own marker or not.  I'm sure I am WAAAYYY over thinking this, but it will be the "biggest" thing I've gotten to experience, aside from the births of my children. Hahaha. 

Offline wrighty

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 05:11:21 AM »
I wondered about that because I have two copies of Images and Words, but didn't know if Mangini would want to sign it.  I would want him to, because like you I see him as just as much a part of the band so why not sign it (especially this being the I&W tour)!

But, a gold sharpie with the black and white poster is good.  I wasn't sure if I could bring my own marker or not.  I'm sure I am WAAAYYY over thinking this, but it will be the "biggest" thing I've gotten to experience, aside from the births of my children. Hahaha.

When I did this they had black and silver sharpies ready, and used whichever was appropriate.

I presented MM with my copy of SFAM to sign, and he seemed a little reluctant, asking if I had anything else I would prefer he sign instead.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 08:39:12 AM »
Longestnight reminded me of my only M&G in DC, a few nights after their '4th Wall' performance.  The wife asked a few close friends for any donation towards this as it was a birthday present.  Those who responded with a monetary gift had their names placed on my card (she made up the slight balance).

So......the item I had the band sign was.....the birthday card.  It made for a nice little icebreaker with the band.  IIRC, they asked if that was all that I wanted signed.  The card, pic with the band, badge, and photocopied ticket are framed and on a wall in my study. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 01:55:59 PM »
Wrighty...I think I'm going to go with the poster and I'll have to think on my second item. I am leaning toward The Astonishing CD since I saw that live and it's the album that made all three of my kids fans as well!  :)

Dragon...that was such a thoughtful gift.  What an experience.  The card was a good idea! 

And it's good to know they have both color markers on hand. 

Thank you all! 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 10:20:08 AM »
Easiest issue first:  If you are concerned about how something will look because of the color, bring your own sharpies and just politely ask if the band members wouldn't mind using yours because you want it to look a certain way.  I mean, if they do indeed have their own in that color already, great.  But there is no guarantee, even if that is what they have done in the past.  You just never know what the logistics of a particular show are going to be.  Just to give you an example, when I was let in to see the band do sound check on the Along For the Ride tour, I was told to get there and go to a certain door at a certain time, call their tour manager, etc.  In other words, it was all pre-planned, the logistics were in place, etc.  So one would think that everything would have fallen into place and been perfectly organized.  But as it turned out, there were a few little snags here and there, including getting let in and the tour manager having to scramble around for the next 15-20 minutes to find laminates for us because they had run out of them in the usual place they should have been stored.  Little things like that can happen.  If they run out of silver sharpies at the previous show and haven't had time to send someone to buy new ones, or if all the markers get put in the wrong road case and cannot be located by the time of the meet-and-greet, or whatever, the band will just have what they have.  Nothing wrong with you being prepared and bringing your own. 

As far as what to get signed, that's always a very personal thing.  I have gotten standard things like CDs signed.  I have also done custom forum tour shirts and gotten those signed, which are a bit more personal.  If I were going to have something signed at a show on this leg, I would probably go for a copy of the I&W vinyl, just because it is bigger than a CD and can be framed/displayed if I wanted to do that.  But as to whether or not to have Mangini (and Jordan, for that matter) sign something like that, I could go either way.  On one hand, he has played all of those songs and is now a part of them, and he is playing them all on this anniversary tour.  If you did something like that, I would just tell him something like this before he had a chance to ask you if you wanted him to sign it:  "Mike, I know you didn't write or play on the actual album back then.  But this is my own personal memento from seeing you play these songs with the band on this anniversary tour, and it would mean a lot to me if you would sign it."  I think he would be more than happy to if you did something like that.

If it was me, I'm not sure if I would or not.  I mean, I did that very thing with another band in a similar situation in the past.  But I could also see just having the members sign it that actually played on it, even if that meant I might never be able to track down KM or Portnoy to get theirs.  Hard to say which is the "right" way to go--just think about it in advance and figure out what would mean the most to you, and prepare a short little speech to ask the band and let them know why, like my example above.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 10:28:40 AM »
Suggestion -- There's that artwork floating around of DT I&W 25 and Beyond...if you can find that of decently high quality, and have it printed as an 8x10 picture, that would be a very cool piece to get signed. I won't be meet and greeting (just not going to spend for it), but if I did, I totally would go that route.

That way, all the signatures from the band would be the guys playing the show, and so I wouldn't have the awkward feeling of having Jordan or Mike M sign the I&W vinyl since they didn't play on it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline JohnLocke

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 01:36:48 PM »
They did a free M&G when they came to Maine last year. I had them sign my picture disc of IT, which I framed (as I have 2 copies). I also had them sign my Astonishing box (Mike Mangini signed it twice by mistake).

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 03:01:15 AM »

Somebody came to my signing today with an 'Octavarium' vinyl....REALLY??? Couldn't find a DT album from 2010-2017? Please try to use some sensibility/sensitivity when choosing something for an MM event. Sad I can't post anything on my own FB & Twitter without getting everyone jumping down my throat. Seems everyone's allowed an opinion but me.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 09:28:27 AM »

Somebody came to my signing today with an 'Octavarium' vinyl....REALLY??? Couldn't find a DT album from 2010-2017? Please try to use some sensibility/sensitivity when choosing something for an MM event. Sad I can't post anything on my own FB & Twitter without getting everyone jumping down my throat. Seems everyone's allowed an opinion but me.

Well I did this because the signing (and show) was surprise birthday gift for me, which I didn't know about until we were in the parking lot for the show. My gf bought the record for me to have signed, as Octavarium will always be one of my favorite DT albums.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 05:08:03 PM »

Well I did this because the signing (and show) was surprise birthday gift for me, which I didn't know about until we were in the parking lot for the show. My gf bought the record for me to have signed, as Octavarium will always be one of my favorite DT albums.

I'm joking btw, that quote is almost word-for-word what MP said about the guy with the ADTOE shirt.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 05:59:46 PM »

I'm joking btw, that quote is almost word-for-word what MP said about the guy with the ADTOE shirt.

Thank God. I had a feeling, hence why I didn't get defensive :lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 02:52:44 AM »

This is my concern too, I have the Images and Words Music Tablature/Notation and I want them to sign it, but would I be kinda rude or awkward if I ask MM or Jordan to sign those since they did not play for that album?

And she listens openly

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 07:27:35 AM »
Would it be rude to get 3 items signed instead of 2?

I plan to take an Images and Words vinyl and the ADTOE vinyl to get them signed. I would like for JP and JR to sign their "An Evening with" CD, the original pressing.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 04:00:49 PM »

This is my concern too, I have the Images and Words Music Tablature/Notation and I want them to sign it, but would I be kinda rude or awkward if I ask MM or Jordan to sign those since they did not play for that album?

They may clarify they didn't play on it just in case youre a new fan that didn't know but I'm sure they'd be happy to. 

Offline dream416

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 06:34:15 AM »
Hi everyone,
I'm going to the Toronto show Nov.12TH & purchased the meet & greet. Just wondering how (and if anyone has) to go about getting or upgrading to
the Diamond package. I think it includes a stage tour etc. Thank you.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 02:52:44 PM »
Would it be rude to get 3 items signed instead of 2?

I plan to take an Images and Words vinyl and the ADTOE vinyl to get them signed. I would like for JP and JR to sign their "An Evening with" CD, the original pressing.

I am sure a lot of people take extra, just don't advertise you have more before getting to them, at a meet and greet for G3, we had someone making sure it was just two, but if the artist is willing, they can't do anything. Maybe even hang back in the queue, they tend to linger longer on the last ones.
I wait to last every time. First in line sometimes gets a bonus, but I am getting they feel rushed through because of the queue behind them.

Hi everyone,
I'm going to the Toronto show Nov.12TH & purchased the meet & greet. Just wondering how (and if anyone has) to go about getting or upgrading to
the Diamond package. I think it includes a stage tour etc. Thank you.

I am not anywhere near Toronto, but checking the link to buy, there would be a way to upgrade, contact the website, they should just charge you the difference.
I was able to buy even after they stopped selling last time they toured. Ultimately they want to sell them.  :)