Author Topic: THE STRAIN  (Read 2432 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
THE STRAIN
« on: July 20, 2015, 10:20:37 AM »
Anyone else watching? Two episodes in to the Second Season and it's still fascinating and good IMO. It's a neat way to tell a Vampire story.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: THE STRAIN
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 10:34:31 AM »
Anyone else watching? Two episodes in to the Second Season and it's still fascinating and good IMO. It's a neat way to tell a Vampire story.
My eldest daughter and I are huge fans.  We didn't get a chance to catch the second episode yet - we also watch HBO's Sunday night fare.  We will catch it hopefully tonight.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 06:43:06 AM »
I'm not sure what to think of this show. I think the problem I have with it are there too many characters and some of the actors are terrible. Eff's love interest/partner and his son come to mind. I LOVE the flashbacks with Starkragian? (The Jew). By far the most interesting part for me.

Has anyone read the books? Wondering how they are compared to the show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 02:02:07 PM »
I haven't watched the last episode yet and I actually feel myself caring less and less about 'making sure' I watch this immediately after it airs....which is usually a judge of how much you like a show. It's just been 'acceptable' to me thus far, teetering on 'deletable' from my viewing schedule. I hope it picks up.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 06:20:31 AM »
The latest episode was a step in the right direction. I'm curious enough to keep watching thought I've considered just reading the books.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 04:00:54 PM »
A buddy of mine keeps trying to get me and the wife to watch this.  I began watching the first ep but it didn't suck me off.  I mean in. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 05:53:42 PM »
The latest episode was a step in the right direction. I'm curious enough to keep watching thought I've considered just reading the books.

Just watched the last episode.....it was better.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 06:39:14 AM »
Best episode of the season last week. Two thing really bug me about the show though. Eph's kid is such a terrible actor and annoying character that I'm really hoping vamp mom takes care of him. Also, what is the point of Eph's drinking? So at least it's adding nothing to his character and it's not affecting his work. Seems pointless.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 09:02:37 AM »
Two thing really bug me about the show though. Eph's kid is such a terrible actor and annoying character that I'm really hoping vamp mom takes care of him.

This so much. I haven't seen the latest episode yet....but, I agree that this actor is not that good and the scenes between he and Eph are just BRUTAL to watch. Eph's drinking again would be more worthy of concern had they established just how much it was a problem before. But....they didn't, so I could care less that he's "drinking again". 

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 11:52:54 AM »
Those spider looking kids creep me out.  Not the best show on TV, but worth watching.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 12:15:31 PM »
Those spider looking kids creep me out.

along with the sound effects used that portray whatever the heck noises they and the other vamps are emitting. Just plain creepy sounds......very insect like.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 11:14:48 PM »
Just binge watched the past three episodes. Glad to see the show pick up! It's getting pretty good! Very pleased with how it's shaped up after what I thought was a slow first couple episodes.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 03:50:29 PM »
My wife and I started season 1 last night...

Man this is some freaky deaky shit!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 06:42:43 AM »
This show keeps getting better and better. Has anyone read the books? Are they any good?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 08:22:02 AM »
This show keeps getting better and better. Has anyone read the books? Are they any good?

Haven't read the books but I agree the show is getting pretty good. I thought the first two episodes of season 2 were just 'meh' and then it picked up dramatically. Cool stuff going on.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 09:23:37 AM »
Pretty pissed that Hulu doesn't have Season 2 unless you have some moronic cable subscription with it... Really? Meh. It's a pretty good show and I was looking forward to Season 2 but it's not good enough to buy a cable subscription as well...kinda the fucking reason I pay for Netflix and Hulu. Either way, I really liked Eph's actor and he's great in this. Gotta say though, all the talk about the kid (and just seeing a screen-cap of his face makes me wanna vamp it) in season 2 and the change of actors has me worried. But I'm hoping he's just a backdrop. Whenever it's up on Hulu I'll catch up but I quite enjoyed Season 1.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 01:49:34 PM »
Loving this season so far.  Finally got all caught up.

Yeah, I hate Eph's kid, too.  But everyone is more or less OK.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 08:50:56 PM »
Just finished first season, moving on to the second tonight.  so good!

The fucking season finale was frustrating as fuck; you had the master writhing in the sunlight and you thought it best to FUCKING MONOLOGUE rather than cut his head off?! GERRARA HEA

Eph's kid is so bad at acting its laughable.  I actually laugh whenever he does anything. 

The ninja vampire/ancient guys are my favourite.

this is a cool show.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 06:23:28 AM »
Only 2 more episodes left of season 2. This show has become one of my favorites.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 07:28:45 AM »
Only 2 more episodes left of season 2. This show has become one of my favorites.

I'm two episodes behind thanks to a malfunction of my DVR. I was able to eventually get them recorded but haven't had a chance to watch yet. This show has been good...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 07:56:46 AM »
Caught up to the last episode.

Nice.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 01:32:39 AM »
I just now realized that I've read the books not too long ago and that there's a series that's even being shown on german tv right now. Didn't make the connection because the series is aired as "The Strain" whereas the books were titled/translated as Die Saat (seed or crop), Blut (blood), Nacht (night). I really enjoyed the books, it was a good horror/vampire story although the ending was a bit cheesy imo.

So now I'm eagerly waiting for the DVD.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 01:14:37 PM »
Finale Spoilers below....read at own risk.....

Wow! What a finale! They packed a ton into that hour. That show turned into GoT and TWD there for a bit and just started killing off characters left and right  :lol I wasn't shocked at CoCo becoming a quick snack for the Master....more or less saw that one coming. but Nora being killed off was a bit of a shock. I thought she was pretty 'safe' per say.

I'd like to know how that crippled, overweight Dishwasher navigated the sewer lines with ol' boy half breed warrior though :lol dude can barely walk but suddenly he's a warrior and scurrying through sewers?

I'd have thought the 'ancients' could round up a bit more than $323 million also....they've had so long to save up :lol

Anyway, that was a pretty strong season...can't wait until next one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 07:38:12 AM »
Finally caught up last night.  Great finale.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 11:25:48 AM »
Great finale for a show that turned into one of my favorites. Can't wait for next season though I wonder how much more source material there is.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 12:00:10 PM »
Great finale for a show that turned into one of my favorites. Can't wait for next season though I wonder how much more source material there is.

I recall reading that there were (3) books and Del Toro has planned (5) Seasons to tell the story. He specifically said he would not extend the show....that it was 5 seasons and that was it. Once the story was told....it's told.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 12:04:31 PM »
I'm fine with that. It think it's good to know there is an ending. That is one of my problems with the walking dead. It seems they are going to drag that show out forever.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2017, 11:11:42 AM »
Series concluded last night.

All in all I enjoyed it but I think the final episode last night was rushed....could have used a 2 hour finale rather than the hour it got. Glad I stuck with the show as I did enjoy it.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2017, 12:18:48 PM »
Man the first 4 episodes were so dull that this got put on the back burner. I have them all DVR'd and will finish it soon hopefully.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2017, 12:27:42 PM »
I liked it - the final season started really slow, but ramped up to the end, which was more intense than I was expecting.  I do like the final events and was happy to see that the character who actually ended it all was the one character that drew the most criticism over the course of the series. 

I agree that a two hour finale would have helped, but I think it was cool too - this is our plan, it's our only shot, and it has to work.  I also like that the strigoi didn't just die, they were just left without a communication network, making them easy to finish off.  Of the past seasons, I loved Eph and Dutch's attempt to jam their communications, so it was nice to see that they didn't move away from that that info.