Author Topic: Your Home Bar thread v. spinoff from the drinking thread  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
Your Home Bar thread v. spinoff from the drinking thread
« on: July 25, 2017, 09:40:05 AM »
What's in your home bar, if you have one, and what is on your list of things to get/add to it?

Currently in my bar I have several bottle of single malt scotch (Glenlivet 12, Glenmorangie 10 (almost gone), Macallan 12, Glenlivet 18, Aultmore 6, Oban 14, and a small set of Glenfiddich 12, 15, and 18), some Jameson's, Jameson's Caskmates, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, some spiced rum, I think I'm out of vodka and gin, various unremarkable bottles of wine, a little tequila, and a random bottle of Beefeater's that is full of homemade Grappa.

I want to get:

Macallan 15 Fine Oak (more of a need as I have to replenish)
More Glenmorangie
Glenfiddich 12 full-size bottle
At least one full bottle of vodka, either Grey Goose or Tito's
Tanqueray
tonic water
A good cognac, Remy Martin VSOP mayhaps. Nothing overly expensive but still nice.
tequila, either 1800 Reposado or perhaps some Patron or Cuervo
a light rum, brand tbd

I'd like to have a broader basic setup, just in the off chance I might entertain. Nice to have a stock on hand.

What about you all? What do you have/want/need? Is there something you simply never allow yourself to run out of?
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your Home Bar thread v. spinoff from the drinking thread
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 09:59:21 AM »
Probably easier if I just take a pic later when I get home, but essentially I was given a really nice liquor cabinet by a family friend which I fully stocked (or mostly), but I pretty much never use it as it's only for hosting.  Reason being is that vodka is the only thing I drink anymore and I keep that upstairs (cabinet is in the man cave).

I definitely have:  a couple tequilas, a couple whiskeys or scotches (I'd actually have to check what I have), flavored vodka, grey goose (kept upstairs though), a couple rums, gin, a couple bottles of wine, some champagne, glasses, mixing tools and shakers, I have some liquor chocolates, jagger, fireball, and more stuff I probably can't remember.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 10:09:01 AM »
We currently have a hand-me-down wood bar cabinet that is really poorly designed but holds our liquor. We also have a BEAUTIFUL solid wood and granite bar that was quite literally given to us by a neighbor who was moving. Not sure how we will be implementing it because it is large and not really good for our current set up but perhaps in the next house....anyway that will be fully stocked in time.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:22:07 AM by Hyperplex »
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 10:21:04 AM »
1. Smirnoff vodka
2. Kaluha
3. Baileys Irish cream

4. Captain morgan

5. Johnny walker black
6. Jack daniels

7. Blue moon
8. Yuengling
9. Guiness

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 10:37:54 AM »
Off the top of my head:
Two bottles of The Irishman single malt.
Some French single malt (je n'est c'est quoi).
JD single barrel.
New London gin (for G&T).
Beefeater in the freezer (for Martinis).
Monopolowa in the freezer.
Bacardi Dark Solara
Capt. Morgan
Chinaco silver
I think there's a bottle of Rumpleminz down there, as well.

Some of it's pretty old and I rarely hit the bar. The single malts pile up as they're trophy bottles from a nice streak of picking football games.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 10:44:38 AM »
Jameson Whiskey
Woodford Reserve Bourbon
Some Vodka my wife drinks
Kahlua
Cruzan Rum (Wife and I toured the plant on our honeymoon)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 11:26:41 AM »
A friend of mine texted me that he wanted me to get a bottle of The Macallan M from their 1824 Masters series. Did he want to chip in? No of course not, he just wanted me to purchase it so he could mooch.

Price of said bottle? Roughly $5,400. Yeah if I get that, it's fucking MINE.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 12:24:12 PM »
WTF.  What a mooch.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 12:31:09 PM »
Craft beers in the fridge. Bourbon and some fireball on hand at the moment. That's my version of a bar
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 12:37:06 PM »
WTF.  What a mooch.

Yea seriously, and I thought my friends were bad with mooching off my booze :lol 

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 01:36:54 PM »
Yeah well if I'm ever fortunate enough to get a bottle of this, he'll be the one I call after the last dram is poured.

THE MACALLAN
M BY THE MACALLAN®
$5,356.00

The Macallan M is crafted from 7 specially selected casks dating back to 1940, to create the richest, most complex and intense expression of The Macallan. It sits at the pinnacle of The Macallan range and is housed in a unique geometric Lalique decanter, made from the highest grade crystal. This is one of the most well-rounded whiskies ever crafted, a 6 liter version of which is the most expensive whisky ever sold at auction ($628,000).

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 02:40:22 PM »
I have:

A couple of craft beers
1 absolut vodka
2 bottles of homemade mead
2 Mulata Cuban Rum
1 Absynth from Czech Republic
1 bottle of home made lemon liquor
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 04:20:02 PM »
Here's mine. I was too lazy to do an inventory and type it out. There's about 30 beers in the fridge of various types. Mixers and such are in the cabinet the booze are on.  The nipper globe is always a huge hit. People can make whatever kind of drink they want. There's 6 or 7 flavors of vodka in there, as well as 5 types of Baileys. There's a bunch more randoms in there too.

I've been on an Elijah Craig kick lately. That'd be on the bar too if I didn't just finish off a bottle.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 04:38:37 PM »
That Jagermeister needs to be in your freezer.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 04:53:31 PM »

This. Take it from a career Jager drinker. Shame on you.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 05:08:30 PM »
My cabinet of booze that I can't recall the last time I had a drink from.  My greygoose is kept in the kitchen.  Beer is kept in the kitchen and mini fridge in the man cave.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 05:25:20 PM »

That Jager has sat unopened since we bought the house  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 05:35:42 PM »
Well get it in the freezer and celebrate something!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 05:39:56 PM »
Or, better yet, break out that Maker's Mark, whip up Manhattans for you and the missus, and use them to celebrate not drinking the fucking Jaegermeister.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 05:51:59 PM »
A Manhattan? OK, Dad. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 06:09:17 PM »

That Jager has sat unopened since we bought the house  :lol

Shit, that would've been breakfast for me. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 06:17:17 PM »
Or, better yet, break out that Maker's Mark, whip up Manhattans for you and the missus, and use them to celebrate not drinking the fucking Jaegermeister.

:lol

I'd rather have some bourbon on the ice sphere myself.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 07:27:15 PM »
As a complete coincidence, my wife spent a good portion of today doing some rearranging in the basement and lo and behold, we have room for the massive awesome bar! We're going to move our cabinet downstairs and use it as a wine cabinet, out the good liquor in the bar, and hook up the mini fridge. Looks like I'll have an excuse for a trip to Total Wine shortly!

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 08:37:12 PM »
Well, lessee:
-5 various single malt
-2 blended scotch
-2 whiskey
-8 bourbons (yeah, we dig bourbon)
-1 rye
-3 rum
-3 tequila
-1 vodka
-2 coffee liquors
-1 gin
-2 vermouth
-5 bitters
-various liquors, aperal, fernet branca, etc.
-1 absinthe

Also, don't fuck with a good Manhattan...Woodford Rye, Dolin sweet vermouth, bitters, and a Woodford cherry.  Damn.  I will not have anyone speak ill of it.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2017, 08:02:05 AM »
Rather than go into detail about our bar/lounge, I'll share some highlights of some spirits that I'm especially proud of in my collection.

About 4 years ago I started buying whisky (and other types of alcohol) as an investment. We now spend probably 4-8 weeks now each year in Scotland, so it kind of naturally progressed. I'd bought several high end bottles the past few years. Most recently in May, I returned with 10 bottles in which I dropped some pretty serious coin.

We've made a habit of staying at the Dowans Hotel in Aberlour whenever we visit Speyside. We've grown quite close to Steph and her family who run the place, and it's the go to "watering hole", hangout for many of the Master Blenders who live and work there. This has enabled me to meet and befriend some amazing people who have been kind enough to get me access to some rare offerings, and I've been taking advantage.

My brand of choice is the Macallan. I've got 4 bottles of the M in my collection that I've had for a while. As for other rare offerings, several years ago I bought a case of Pappy Family Reserve whiskey. I think we've got about 8 bottles left.

On my last trip I bought 6 bottles of a Macallan 25 year old that was a limited run, that had never been offered in North America. I also bought a bottle of the Macallan 40 year old Sherry Oak. As well as a bottle of the Balvenie 40 year old.
Since I was on a run, and my wife had only rolled her eyes at me when I shared the news of the days prizes with her, I mentioned that I really, really wanted to go snag the bottle of the Macallan Lalique that I'd held in my hands earlier that day. Fatal error. It doesn't happen often that my wife puts her foot down, but had I gone back to buy that bottle, I think she might have killed me. "Honey, it's an investment" only goes so far.

I've got several other fine and rare bottles as well. Not just scotch or bourbon. We have a pretty nice wine cellar room as well.

If I'm honest, probably the best find I discovered in May was gin. We were in Edinburgh for 4 days and stayed at the Balmoral. The first night for dinner I was jet lagged and dog tired. I knew that if I had an adult beverage with dinner that it would send me straight to dreaming bliss. So, as I was trying to think of the best option to get me there the quickest, the first drink cart to come by was the gin cart. I'm not a gin drinker. But I saw the massive bowl of fresh cut limes, and the mound of ice glistening in the bucket, and I thought a slug to the brain served up with some refreshing citrus might be okay.  So I asked the guy what he recommended for a non- gin drinker; and without hesitation he turned me onto the Botanist. He claimed it was the number one gin in all of Europe.

OMG. I drank Botanist the entire trip!

From their website:
"The Botanist Gin is a progressive exploration of the botanical heritage of our Isle of Islay. 22 hand-foraged local botanicals delicately augment nine berries, barks, seeds and peels during an achingly slow distillation. This first and only Islay Dry Gin is a rare expression of the heart and soul of our remote Scottish island home."

Volunteers actually go out and gather the botanicals in the wild. And it's a very small batch distillation. I immediately came back home and bought 6 bottles. Fearful my local liquor store might run out.  :lol

I love Botanist Gin!
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2017, 09:02:36 AM »
I just have a couple bottles of fireball, A little tequila, little bit of Kraken Rum, and a bottle of Malibu laying around.

I like my Fireball
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2017, 02:14:25 PM »
That's a nice cabinet Cram.

TV... I'm not sure if we're all in the wrong company, or you are.   :lol

Let me wheel over to my cabinet to take inventory:

About 40 different bottles of wine
Bailey's Original
Bailey's Salted Caramel
Baileys Vanilla
Laura Secord Chocolate Cream Liquor
Vodka (Banff Ice)
Bacardi Gold
Bacardi Superior (White)
Solera Gran Reserve Rum
Blackwell Jamaican Rum (not much of that left)
Raynal French Brandy (that must've been a gift)
Tia Maria
Canadian Club
Scotches - Jura Superstition; Tobermory 10; Johnny Walker Blue

I usually have all 5 of my flasks filled with Scotch, but I'm kinda low at the moment (being unemployed and all).  Glenmorangie 10 is my go-to... great flavour and relatively inexpensive.  But, push comes to shove, and I love Bowmore.

With Mrs.jingle out of the country at the moment, and the CAD doing pretty well, I might just have her pick something up at the duty free on the way home.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2017, 04:17:08 PM »
I just added Teelings Irish Whiskey single grain.  It's my favorite.

And Gentleman's Jack.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2017, 07:49:19 AM »
I will be restocking soon I just have not decided when or in what stages. We are still setting up the new bar so I'll have to make a few decisions in planning.
I'm not too into collecting the super pricey bottles yet, I want to rebuild what I have drained first. I'm thinking once we move into a larger house, which will be in the offing in the coming year or two, I'll start an active collection of rarer/older bottles. All in due time.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 05:07:56 AM »
That Jagermeister needs to be in the dumpster.

fixt.

I had a friend in college who loved jager, he even had one of those jager machines they have in a bar. One faithful night I got destroyed drinking nothing but Jager. I've never been able to look at it again, the smell alone will rush me with memories of me and the time I spent with the toilet.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2017, 08:15:05 AM »
I have four teenagers so any booze that comes in my house stays in my room.  Avoid the "Add some water, dad will never know" thing...
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2017, 11:00:36 AM »
I didn't even need to have a bad drinking experience to get turned off of Jager, stuff's gross :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2017, 11:10:04 AM »
I didn't even need to have a bad drinking experience to get turned off of Jager, stuff's gross :lol

Effective cough medicine, though!
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2017, 12:53:11 PM »
Jager bombs are fairly tasty, and while I have two bottles of Jager at home, both are still sealed.  I also think it's not very good, but it's not the worst thing to do a shot of.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2017, 01:40:31 PM »
One of the oddest, yet strangely satisfying concoctions I've had is Jager and egg nog. Somehow it works. Not as good as rum and egg nog, but it works.