Author Topic: Do you ever go to Subway? Maybe you can help me out.  (Read 8183 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Do you ever go to Subway? Maybe you can help me out.
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2017, 03:17:45 PM »
Definitely can't learn basic math.

Definitely not.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2017, 04:13:12 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2017, 04:16:38 PM »
Damn wind. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2017, 04:17:41 PM »
Damn wind. :lol

It blew my $10 away after that  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2017, 05:01:43 PM »
Can't tell if there is a cone in the vicinity from the video

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2017, 05:09:39 PM »
Damn, we just went there tonight because I worked late and was starving. I didn't pay attention to it but next time I will. Dunkin donuts does this all the time and at the drive through they say "Do you really want your change?" No asshole, you keep it, think of it as a tip for not being able to consistently do anything other than mess up every order. I digress

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2017, 05:40:16 PM »
They put the machines in so the cashiers don't have to think. 

Thank God for that.

I love the puzzled look on a cashier's face when your total is $4.77 and you give them a five dollar bill and two pennies.  :lol :lol :lol

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2017, 05:58:55 PM »
It could be an Office Space kinda ploy from some laid-off Subway workers  ;D

There was a similar thread a few days ago where I posted David Herman's character as a response to a skimming of pennies.  That thread died, probably because Chino didn't start it.

Now we have machines because we don't need someone to deal with the god damn customers.  Bob and Bob are smiling somewhere.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2017, 09:21:30 PM »
It could be an Office Space kinda ploy from some laid-off Subway workers  ;D

There was a similar thread a few days ago where I posted David Herman's character as a response to a skimming of pennies.  That thread died, probably because Chino didn't start it.

I don't think it died.  I think we're all just waiting for Tick to have any update of getting back at fast-food chains for ripping him off in change.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2017, 10:21:04 PM »
Maybe pennies are phased out or are in the process?

I don't know where you live but here in Canada we dropped the penny a few years ago and now anything that's a cash sale will round up or down to the nearest nickel.

If it's a card transaction the amount will be exactly as shown.

Try using a card next time and see if it's the exact amount.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2017, 01:50:56 AM »
Ummm... Chino...

Bad news.

I was skimming through your video and I found this:

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2017, 07:08:05 AM »
 :lol

Maybe pennies are phased out or are in the process?

I don't know where you live but here in Canada we dropped the penny a few years ago and now anything that's a cash sale will round up or down to the nearest nickel.

If it's a card transaction the amount will be exactly as shown.

Try using a card next time and see if it's the exact amount.

Pennies are not being phased out yet, in his video it looks like he gets some pennies back.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2017, 07:12:53 AM »
I'm surprised you even still use pennies there (actually, not really now that I think about it being the US and all). They ditched 1c and 2c coins 25 years ago here.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2017, 07:18:59 AM »
I'm surprised you even still use pennies there (actually, not really now that I think about it being the US and all). They ditched 1c and 2c coins 25 years ago here.

The sole provider of zinc "penny blanks", Jarden Zinc Products of Greeneville, Tennessee, has hired lobbyists to make the case for preserving the penny and their sales. Jarden Zinc Products is the located within the Tennessee 1st United States House District and is currently represented within the U.S. House of Representatives by U.S. Rep. Phil Roe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_debate_in_the_United_States

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2017, 07:23:22 AM »

You take your Star Trek rhetoric elsewhere mister! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2017, 07:28:27 AM »

If I was really here to peddle Star Trek ideals, I'd point out that they don't have money at all. :blob:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2017, 07:43:22 AM »

If I was really here to peddle Star Trek ideals, I'd point out that they don't have money at all. :blob:

First step my friend, first step.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2017, 08:24:45 AM »
Some businesses actually conduct penniless transactions, and post it on the door. More should do this. That said, businesses should pull their collective heads out of their asses and just price things so that it's no longer necessary. If I ever open a business every item will be priced so that, including sales tax, the final price will end on a quarter. I've always been of the opinion that the fault lies with idiot consumers. People that'll drive one mile further to save 1˘ on a gallon of milk. "but it's only $2.49 across the street. We'll just go there when we leave."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2017, 08:28:31 AM »
Some businesses actually conduct penniless transactions, and post it on the door. More should do this. That said, businesses should pull their collective heads out of their asses and just price things so that it's no longer necessary. If I ever open a business every item will be priced so that, including sales tax, the final price will end on a quarter. I've always been of the opinion that the fault lies with idiot consumers. People that'll drive one mile further to save 1˘ on a gallon of milk. "but it's only $2.49 across the street. We'll just go there when we leave."

While we are at it, can gas stations get rid of the 9/10?  It doesn't fool anyone.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2017, 09:10:03 AM »

Thank God for that.

I love the puzzled look on a cashier's face when your total is $4.77 and you give them a five dollar bill and two pennies.  :lol :lol :lol

Damn Kev that's mean, but still funny.   :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2017, 09:11:29 AM »

What if you open a butcher shop and stuff gets weighed out to three decimal places?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2017, 09:20:37 AM »

What if you open a butcher shop and stuff gets weighed out to three decimal places?
In the case of deli meats everybody gets what they want to a quarter pound. Decent people will usually do this anyway. Hell, if they can cut a slice for you to nosh on while they work, they can round total down in your favor. (Shitty places will always throw extra meat on and ask if that's alright. I've actually had some asshole nail his estimate to .4978, make one more slice, throw it on jacking it up to .57 and ask it it was OK. NO ASSHOLE!) Since butchers tend to cut their own roasts and steaks, they can cut them very close to a whole number weight and charge from there. You then have a bin of 6, 9, 12, and 15 dollar chuck roasts.

Or, better still, I just put a sign on the door that says "we round to the nearest quarter in your favor. If this is too confusing for you please shop at Krogers."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2017, 09:29:05 AM »
I would put together a log (along with your video evidence) of every date, time, etc., it happens. Then after you have a couple weeks worth of entries, ask to speak to the manager. If they appear to dismiss it, turn your phone on, record the encounter, and press the issue, by pointing out how it is short changing you and you plan to call the owner (if it is a franchise) or corporate.

Because this is fraud, even if it is just a few cents. It adds up, and for sure you aren't the only one it is happening to. I'd be irate.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2017, 09:30:26 AM »
I would put together a log (along with your video evidence) of every date, time, etc., it happens. Then after you have a couple weeks worth of entries, ask to speak to the manager. If they appear to dismiss it, turn your phone on, record the encounter, and press the issue, by pointing out how it is short changing you and you plan to call the owner (if it is a franchise) or corporate.

Because this is fraud, even if it is just a few cents. It adds up, and for sure you aren't the only one it is happening to. I'd be irate.

I actually wrote Subway this morning and sent them the video. Jared isn't using his lifetime of sandwiches card anymore. Maybe they'll give it to me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2017, 09:31:26 AM »

I would hold off on the bolded part.  It is illegal in many states to record someone without their consent.  Check first before doing this.

But I agree in principle with what Samsara said.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2017, 09:32:21 AM »

I actually wrote Subway this morning and sent them the video. Jared isn't using his lifetime of sandwiches card anymore. Maybe they'll give it to me.

If this thread suddenly disappears or goes dark then we know Subway got to Chino and he is either dead or alive and well, but with free subway for life and never to speak of this issue again.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2017, 09:34:09 AM »

I would hold off on the bolded part.  It is illegal in many states to record someone without their consent.  Check first before doing this.

But I agree in principle with what Samsara said.

Good point. I forgot about that.  :tup
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2017, 09:36:12 AM »
It's easy to forget in the age of cell phones when it is so convenient and easy to do.  I wouldn't have thought about it if it wasn't something I have to deal with on the job.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2017, 10:18:55 AM »
I take it, if someone is recorded without their consent, it's inadmissible in court.  Good to know.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2017, 10:21:17 AM »
What about recording everything but the manager's face?  Sort of like how they fuzz out faces for people on TV when they didn't give consent to be on the show, yet they keep the audio and do similar to Chino's video where it really shows nothing besides the transaction? 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2017, 10:32:08 AM »
What about recording everything but the manager's face?  Sort of like how they fuzz out faces for people on TV when they didn't give consent to be on the show, yet they keep the audio and do similar to Chino's video where it really shows nothing besides the transaction?
Ironically, it's not the face that would be problematic. Unless they advise "no video recording or photography" then there's probably nothing wrong with taking their picture. Recording a conversation is dicey because of old laws against wire tapping. It all goes back to recording phone calls. That's been a weird part about people filming Johnny going about his work beating and shooting. The videoing of it is fine, but in some states you can't record the audio without his consent.

And according to the law firm of Google and Associates Connecticut is a two party state. Both parties have to consent to the recording. 
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2017, 11:10:52 AM »
I take it, if someone is recorded without their consent, it's inadmissible in court.  Good to know.
Not only inadmissible.  But the act of recording is a crime in some states.  It isn't an issue of whether or not you can get the recording into evidence.  It's an issue of going to jail for recording in the first place.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2017, 11:41:23 AM »
Ok, I see what you're saying, but wouldn't the issue of recording in the first place have to go into evidence before someone goes to jail?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2017, 11:46:31 AM »
No--at least, not in the way I think you are asking.  If it is illegal in CT, for example, the store owner can forward Chino's video to the local PD, who then sends it to the D.A., who then tells the local PD to stop by Chino's house and pick him up if they want to charge him.

It's no different than if someone sees you commit any other crime and reports it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2017, 11:49:26 AM »

Thank God for that.

Damn Kev that's mean, but still funny.   :rollin

I do that all the time.  If I ever end up with pennies in my pocket as change from somewhere, I'll take the next opportunity to get rid of them, for the simple reason that vending machines don't take pennies.  They are therefore useless.

The best thing isn't even the puzzled look when you give them enough pennies to make it come out to an even quarter, or dime, or even a nickel.  It's the surprised look when they punch in how much you gave them, and the machine tells them the amount of change to give.  I've even been asked more than once "How did you do that?"

Do what?  Perform 3rd grade arithmetic?