Author Topic: OZARK on NETFLIX - Finale SPOILERS Abound  (Read 14409 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
OZARK on NETFLIX - Finale SPOILERS Abound
« on: July 22, 2017, 12:34:02 AM »
Anyone watch this yet? Just watched the first two episodes and it's pretty friggin good. Starring Jason Bateman who also directs it. He's a money laundered who's forced to relocate to the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. I'd keep watching more in a row if I didn't have to drive 6 hours home in the morning but I can tell i will hammer out the 8 remaining epidodes soon.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 02:43:57 PM by gmillerdrake »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: OZARK on NETFLIX
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 09:42:33 AM »
Only three Ep. to go. Very good show

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 12:13:07 PM »
I may check it out eventually, but the early buzz I heard was that it was a fairly straightforward anti-hero by numbers kind of show so it's not super high on my priority list.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 01:02:51 PM »
One episode in. It's got real potential.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 12:06:53 AM »
I may check it out eventually, but the early buzz I heard was that it was a fairly straightforward anti-hero by numbers kind of show so it's not super high on my priority list.

Ehh....I wouldn't call it straight forward at all. It's very well acted by all and there are many compelling scenes and cool characters.

Just finished it and I'm really hoping season 2 gets picked up.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 12:50:56 PM »
I'm 2 episodes in and yeah it is predictable, but it is a lot of fun to watch and the setting is unique and a character itself. I'm loving it. That first episode was tense as well and had a few "Whoa, wasn't expecting that!" moments
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 01:53:49 PM »
I'm 2 episodes in and yeah it is predictable, but it is a lot of fun to watch and the setting is unique and a character itself. I'm loving it. That first episode was tense as well and had a few "Whoa, wasn't expecting that!" moments

Well speaking to the predictability aspect, this isn't set up like a 'movie' per say where there are going to be twists and turns at every point. This is as 'realistic' as you can get when speaking to money laundering, a failing marriage, low income people scratching a living by and so on.

The strongest qualities are the acting, particularly Bateman and Laura Linney as they deal with their marriage issues. There's a scene in episode 6 or 7...can't remember.....where they are having it out and it is so well acted that you forget they are actors. And Juia Garner's portrayal of Ruth is pretty top notch as well.

I liked the show a lot in large part due to the acting. the story is still compelling enough to watch but again, it's not set around some sort of 'clue' atmosphere with a realm of mystery in every scene....it's just how does each character deal with everything that is happening. That's the strong point of the show IMO.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 03:26:57 AM »
I'm tempted by this.  I watched the trailer last night and got a Breaking Bad vibe from it.  Is that a fair comparison, and if so how does it stack up to BB?  Also the trailer didn't show any comedy, so is this played 100% straight?  Or does it have the dark comic moments of BB and Fargo for instance?

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 04:23:02 AM »
It's played pretty straight from what I've seen so far (4 episodes). There's humour in some of the bizarre situations that occur, but there's not really any out and out comedy moments. Not the sort of dark humour of Fargo (which reminds me - I have to keep going with the latest season of that. I watched a couple of episodes before going off on holiday, and haven't picked it up since  :)).

I think what I'm trying to say is, OZARK is kind of its own thing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 07:13:04 AM »
I'm tempted by this.  I watched the trailer last night and got a Breaking Bad vibe from it.  Is that a fair comparison, and if so how does it stack up to BB?  Also the trailer didn't show any comedy, so is this played 100% straight?  Or does it have the dark comic moments of BB and Fargo for instance?

The comparison to BB would be the illegal aspect of what Bateman is doing and the 'relationships' he has in that underworld. As Logain stated....the comedy in the show isn't set up to be in your face ha ha ha comedy....what humor there is....is part of the everyday 'real' situations that are explored. I did find myself laughing on multiple occasions but it's certainly not set up to be a comedy.

It is straight forward and it's done really well as a straight forward show. I thought the dialogue between characters was the shows largest strength. Very well written.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 11:59:58 AM »
Anyone watch this yet? Just watched the first two episodes and it's pretty friggin good. Starring Jason Bateman who also directs it. He's a money laundered who's forced to relocate to the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. I'd keep watching more in a row if I didn't have to drive 6 hours home in the morning but I can tell i will hammer out the 8 remaining epidodes soon.

If I see your name as the OP, I always check out the show because I seem to enjoy the same type. Sure enough, I'm 3 eps in and hooked.

Thanks G

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 12:18:58 PM »

If I see your name as the OP, I always check out the show because I seem to enjoy the same type. Sure enough, I'm 3 eps in and hooked.

Thanks G

:tup  I have a similar situation with a movie reviewer I follow on twitter. I'd say I like about 80% of what he likes. With so much out there to watch, it's always nice to have a couple 'trusted' sources to either get you turned on to something or verify if you'd like it or not.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 05:00:39 PM »
Just finished the show last night. I really loved it, it was tense those last two episodes. I had to leave the room during the toenail scene though. Oh man, that was horrible.

Gonna rewatch the show this weekend with my parents. I really enjoyed it.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 08:49:22 PM »
That toe Nail scene was brutal.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 03:08:41 AM »
Just started watching. Aside from some clunky exposition at the beginning, the writing and acting is great.Thanks for the heads up on the toenail scene. I'll be leaving the room too.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 04:21:28 AM »
Crazy thing is that anyone old enough can remember when Jason Bateman was known as "Hey, I didn't know Justine had a brother." Funny how time turned it 180 degrees. Jason is a great actor and it really shows in this character.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2017, 06:16:33 PM »
Really great new noir crime drama. Awesome atmosphere, acting, music and exposition. Despite the complete saturation of the genre, especially in television, it's singular enough to stand out but doesn't try to one up the classics like the obvious (despite clear inspirations). I like that it doesn't reach too much but still stands out. Definitely nothing ground breaking or anything, but I'm excited to see season 2 and the wrap up of season 1 was pretty damn awesome and there were certainly some gripping moments.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 01:23:39 AM »
Really great new noir crime drama. Awesome atmosphere, acting, music and exposition. Despite the complete saturation of the genre, especially in television, it's singular enough to stand out but doesn't try to one up the classics like the obvious (despite clear inspirations). I like that it doesn't reach too much but still stands out. Definitely nothing ground breaking or anything, but I'm excited to see season 2 and the wrap up of season 1 was pretty damn awesome and there were certainly some gripping moments.

Totally agree with this. You hit the nail on the head when you say it doesn't try to one up any of the other shows in this 'good crime' type genre. Certainly gives some nods to them all but doesn't go crazy trying to selerate itself from the pack at all. It stayed true to itself and IMO found great footing.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 09:23:54 AM »
I just started watching this show today. It's great, I look forward to finishing it this weekend.

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 02:39:57 PM »
Just finished it tonight. The last episode was really good, with quite a few twists and turns.

Hopefully it will get picked up for a second season, as I reckon there's still a fair amount of story to be told.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 06:38:17 AM »
NETFLIX has ordered a second season. That's good to know. Really good show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 08:25:30 PM »
Three episodes in, I like it so far.

I am not the only one at work who is watching who has noticed the portrayal of Missourians as backward hicks on the show.  Seems awfully stereotypical thus far.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2017, 04:13:02 PM »
Two episodes in and while I'm not hooked I'll keep watching. Loved the use of Decks Dark at the end of the first episode.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2017, 09:01:44 AM »
Yeah, that was sweet to hear a Radiohead song used so prominently.

Four episodes in now, and while I am not losing interest, it is not drawing me in like I thought it would.  I thought episode 2 was awesome, but then 3 and 4 were both just okay.  I am not a fan of Ruth and the rest of her redneck entourage, and so far I do not find much to like about any of the main characters (from a likability standpoint). 

I will keep plugging away, and I won't be surprised if my feelings change here soon.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2017, 02:24:50 PM »
Just two episodes in and really liking this show.  The dog, toe and peanut butter scene was really funny.  The main character reminds me a lot of Walt in Breaking Bad.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2017, 02:29:53 PM »
  The main character reminds me a lot of Walt in Breaking Bad.

Aside from their connection to the cartel and doing illegal stuff, I don't see that at all. 

Walt was a very emotional guy and had spent his whole life underachieving, given his smarts, prior to cooking meth.

Marty seems very stoic and unemotional and seems to be a major overachiever in regards to work.

I am not seeing the Breaking Bad comparisons that people keep talking about in general at all.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 05:15:30 PM »
I finished Season 1. Pretty great overall; it really picked up after a somewhat slow start. 

The death of the real estate's mother was one of the dumbest and most contrived things I've ever seen, but overall I like the writing a lot.

I am in totally in for Season 2. :tup :tup

Oh, and as someone who has been to the Ozarks a dozen times over the years, I can say with much certainty that the Ozarks look nothing like what we saw on the show. :lol :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 07:29:15 PM »
Oh, and as someone who has been to the Ozarks a dozen times over the years, I can say with much certainty that the Ozarks look nothing like what we saw on the show. :lol :lol

yep. The Party cove scene had .0000095% of the amount of actual boats that are in that cove when it's hopping.  :lol   It's bank to bank covered in boats to where you can literally walk from one side to the other going from boat to boat.

And You'd be hard pressed to find a home like the one they moved in to where the waves weren't beating the shore line to death.....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2017, 07:59:58 PM »
All true.  At least they didn't show the "dirtier" aspects of the Party Cove. :lol :lol

The Ozarks are sunny and bright all summer, every summer, not overcast and gloomy.

Offline mike099

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2017, 06:46:46 PM »
Loved the show and look forward to the next season.  My anxiety level rose dramatically when the preacher was in the lake with that newborn.  Also,  nice touch playing Jackie Blue by the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. 

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2017, 08:18:27 AM »
I'm not an avid series watcher, but I binged this one in three days. The cinematics, acting, music, story, it was pretty much top notch all the way through. Great stuff.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online faizoff

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »
I finally caught up this show, after binge-watching Mindhunter in a day, I needed to indulge in another Netflix show. Man did this show deliver. I liked all the characters in the show, I initially hated the FBI special agent but the last 3 episodes redeemed his character and gave a much-needed backdrop. Still, I think he could've been setup a little better. Either way, I'm really looking forward to the second season and the arc it takes. I can't wait to see how the Cartel handles this.

I like the take on this show how straight forward the conversations are. I mean the kids are like "MOM! What happened?!" and a few secs later... she tells them. There are several examples like these and I love that even though most of the story takes a fairly obvious turn it keeps the suspense really well.

Netflix has been killing it with the shows lately.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline mike099

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2018, 08:12:18 PM »
Just a heads up that the second season is up on Netflix.  Solid first episode.

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2018, 03:14:11 AM »
Two episodes in, and so far so good.

A couple of shocks as well. I like that unexpected element of it.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2018, 09:19:33 PM »
Season 2 was definitely far better than season 1 and this is coming from someone who didn't think the show needed another season. Wendy's development was really good and it'll be interesting to see how that plays into Season 3.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen