Author Topic: Planet of the Apes  (Read 2823 times)

Offline kaos2900

Planet of the Apes
« on: July 18, 2017, 07:24:00 AM »
Couldn't find a stand alone thread for the new Planet of the Apes trilogy. I'm hoping to finally see War on Friday. I absolutely love the first two movies and think this could be the best new trilogy in decades.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: Planet of the Apes
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 07:38:05 AM »
Funny... I was thinking about starting a similar thread just yesterday. You beat me to it! :biggrin:

I agree that it's the best trilogy to come out of Hollywood in a while. Off the top of my head, it's almost certainly the best since Christopher Nolan's Batman and it might even be the best since Lord of the Rings. :justjen

I saw the latest one on Saturday and really liked it. I'm interested to see how much replay value it has, but in the moment it was great. My favorite is still Dawn.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 08:46:45 AM »
Haven't seen War yet but the first two were awesome. It is a great trilogy....by all accounts War is supposed to be the best.

I'd like to see them keep going and re-make the original in the same vein/style as these movies to show the return of the men on that space mission.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 08:49:09 AM »
I never saw any of the originals, but the two most recent movies were absolutely phenomenal.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 11:54:22 AM »
I only watched the original from the sixties and the 2002 version, I think. I've never had interest for the new movies.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 12:20:10 PM »
I only watched the original from the sixties and the 2002 version, I think. I've never had interest for the new movies.

That Mark Whalberg one was horrid. The originals were cool ideas and first two were alright. But this new trilogy has been great.

That's why I'd like to see at least one more....a remake of the original with all this new technology that gives them the opportunity to visually represent a compelling story.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 12:43:28 PM »

That Mark Whalberg one was horrid. The originals were cool ideas and first two were alright. But this new trilogy has been great.

That's why I'd like to see at least one more....a remake of the original with all this new technology that gives them the opportunity to visually represent a compelling story.

QFT
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 12:52:03 PM »

First one is classic. Second is.....weird. Third, fourth and fifth were all varying degrees of interesting with a very VERY low budget.

The 2002 version is trash.

The new ones are brilliant.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 12:58:53 PM »
Will definitely watch the new one, I loved the previous two. I think I will watch those before I go and see War, haven't seen the first one since release.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 01:00:31 PM »
Potential spoilers...

Haven't seen it yet, but I've heard that if you go in expecting a ton of huge action and war, then you might be disappointed as this movie is more so about character than action.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 05:15:38 PM »
Potential spoilers...

Haven't seen it yet, but I've heard that if you go in expecting a ton of huge action and war, then you might be disappointed as this movie is more so about character than action.

Perfectly acceptable for me

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 05:30:15 PM »
Potential spoilers...

Yeah this sort of happened for me. Not disappointed, but it wasn't what I expected. Hadn't watched any of the trailers so all I had to go on was the title, which has 'war' in it. But the movie was still great though, easily at least as good as the last one, which I loved.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 05:39:29 PM »
That's what I've enjoyed about the trilogy thus far. Very strong characters, good storytelling and character development.

I'm to the point with how much I like Caesar as a character I forget he's just CGI and motioncapture tech. I'm assuming he's going to die heroically in this film....I haven't read any spoilers to corroborate or to make me think that.....just see it as the path his character is taking. And I'm gonna be real bummed if he does due to how much I dig him.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 06:02:52 AM »
Oh yeah, that reminds me. The CGI in this movie is freakin' mindblowing. It was good before, but this is just some next level shit.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 07:21:13 AM »
I had the exact same thought after seeing the previous movie. Will be interesting how they will top that.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline masterthes

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 08:48:00 AM »
This one was a bit too heavy handed on the darkness for my taste. The first two were greatness, and Woody Harrelson is blind not to see he's imitating Brando in Apocalypse Now

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 12:01:30 PM »
I'm to the point with how much I like Caesar as a character I forget he's just CGI and motioncapture tech.

I do that too, slap myself and think "there is the voice of Andy Serkis and he's real."

Can't wait to see the new one!!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 03:47:20 AM »

Why though? I have only seen that one and I thought it was alright, but nothing special.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 09:34:38 AM »

Why though? I have only seen that one and I thought it was alright, but nothing special.

- it's not even earth, it's some random planet that they accidentally found themselves on because of some random rip in space time.

- then the same thing at the end. Same random space rip sends Marky Mark to earth I guess? With Marky Mark then trapped there? Who knows actually because the last 10 minutes were the horrid cherry on top of a pretty much sloppily written movie.

- changed the mythos of the entire story

- the only redeeming quality of the movie was the make up and wardrobe. Other than that it was brutal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 08:31:13 AM »
The Marky Mark movie was worthless shit. Having talking intelligent humans changed the entire dynamic in a way that ruined the entire premise of the movie. The ending was an attempt to twist the original movie's ending, but instead was just dull and predictable as hell. The makeup was great, but the movie was mediocre trash. Now back to talking about the real apes movies.........

QFT. I was expecting all out war based on the trailer, and was very pleasantly surprised that it was largely a character driven movie, and focused even more on the apes than the previous ones. I loved how much they made this a regular movie with characters who happened to be CGI apes. Comic relief ape in particular had perfect animation. The CG was so good in many parts that you entirely forget they're not real. The battle at the end was quite short, but just right. The avalanche was maybe a little over the top, but I guess they needed the contrivance to wipe out the major opposition to the apes conquering the world and the mutation taking over.

Without giving major spoilers, I think the ending definitely confirms the closing of this trilogy, and if they were to do another movie, it would have to be a remake/reboot of the original film. It doesn't make sense to follow on directly.
I enjoyed the nods to the original movies, with the wooden crosses for hanging the apes, the Alpha Omega thing, the beach scene, the virus mutation that will account for the humans of the original film, the Nova reference, and their new home that will set up the original movie with the forbidden zone.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 07:47:17 AM »
Finally saw War yesterday and it was an amazing conclusion to an amazing trilogy. I was hoping it would end a little differently but they really did a nice job tying this to the original series. I'm planning on picking up the original series, it's only $25 on amazon for all 5 films. I'm sure most of them are terrible but I'm so into this story right now that I think it's worth the investment.

And Andy Serkis needs to at least be nominated for some sort of award. The work him and the other ape actors did for these films is spectacular.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 08:04:37 AM »
I'm planning on picking up the original series, it's only $25 on amazon for all 5 films. I'm sure most of them are terrible but I'm so into this story right now that I think it's worth the investment.

The original movie is a classic of course, the second movie is garbage, the rest are enjoyable, but the ever decreasing budget was also apparent.
The new movies have taken lots of little cues and ideas from all across the originals, so at the very least it should be interesting to see the source material.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 01:48:01 AM »
I saw this last night.  Enjoyed it a lot, although I have a couple of issues with the second half of the film.  So it doesn't  quite reach the same heights as 'Dawn' in my opinion.

Spoilers about dem issues.
The girl just walking in the camp and feeding Caesar - erm Guards?   The army from the North turning up at exactly the same time as the apes escape, a little coincidental.

Also...
Do you think where the film ends, and some of the names 'Cornelius' and 'Nova' and supposed to show this is the same universe as the original movies, or just a homage?

Those quibbles aside very good film.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 01:51:35 AM »
I saw this last night.  Enjoyed it a lot, although I have a couple of issues with the second half of the film.  So it doesn't  quite reach the same heights as 'Dawn' in my opinion.

The girl just walking in the camp and feeding Caesar - erm Guards?   The army from the North turning up at exactly the same time as the apes escape, a little coincidental.

Also...
Do you think where the film ends, and some of the names 'Cornelius' and 'Nova' are supposed to show this is the same universe as the original movies, or is it just a homage?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2017, 11:26:28 AM »

Also...
Do you think where the film ends, and some of the names 'Cornelius' and 'Nova' and supposed to show this is the same universe as the original movies, or just a homage?

I had the same thought about the girl helping Cesear. I think the fact that she was small and silent helped her get in noticed.

In my head this trilogy was a direct prequel to the series. Not sure if that's official but that's how I view it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2017, 11:39:02 AM »
I think of it as a prequel to the original films, at least to the original timeline. Obviously the events of 3> changed the history. I like that this new series has managed to do its own original thing entirely, while still being respectful of the originals.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 07:54:08 PM »
Went and saw it on a whim today, so damn good. Loved that it was more character driven than action driven, really absorbed me into the film. Nova was a great addition, and whoever the ape was with the ski vest was fucking hysterical.

Online faizoff

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 02:08:09 PM »
I mentioned in the other thread but finally got to see War. It was amazing and like everyone already said here, it was more about the characterization than the action in this movie. I think Dawn is still my favorite of the lot but War is a very very close 2nd. I love the 3 movies but would rank them as 2,3,1 and all of them would be a 9/10. Can't wait to watch War again, the CGI was just breath taking, I thought they were using props and puppets but that was all motion capture of the actors. Truly amazing work.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 10:03:59 AM »
SPOILERS FOR THE NEW MOVIE "WAR" IN THE LAST SENTENCE OF THE FIRST PARAGRAPH AND THE FIRST SENTENCE OF THE SECOND PARAGRAPH. THIS HAS BEEN A DETAILED SPOILER WARNING. THANKS BRUHS.

Thought the idea of the first one was going to be another ham-fest with a ridiculous story but it turned out to hit me hard in the feels and was also awesome. Then the second one upped the ante on the aforementioned aspects and then some (and also kicked the shit out of every other movie's CGI and motion capture; Serkis FTW). Now after seeing War, it's become one of my top favorite movie trilogies of all the timelines. I love the hell out of them. War was tough at the end because of how attached I became to Caesar, not emotionally but it sucked to think we won't get to see any more of his journey.

I'm honestly torn on the continuation of the series because of how vital Caesar was to starting the new story and being such a central role. Also in more real life terms, I really doubt anyone is going to hold even the tiniest of flames being compared to Serkis. But if someone can do it and they want to show the creation of an actual Planet of The Apes, I'm all for it. But this project clearly had a lot of heart, thought, process, and care put into it; I really do not want some half-baked movie to come out that kills the huge amount of effort put into this and brings the Apes series' name back to being Marky Mark-version status.

For as interested as I am in seeing the evolution of the series and with the virus mutating into what it eventually makes both the humans and apes, I'm much more worried it'll be shit unless the current team works on the new movies as well, which doesn't look like it's going to happen. At least director/writer wise.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2023, 11:34:25 AM »
Trailer for new 'Kingdom of The Planet of the Apes'    Looks like it's going to be pretty good. I'm a huge fan of this incarnation of the story. I haven't read up on it all but I'd imagine they continue on with the eventual return of the space flight that left earth as this all broke out.

https://youtu.be/NQ_HvTBaFoo?si=6gNuEUP8rgdmHCap

Online The Letter M

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2024, 01:38:26 PM »
I've not seen the new trilogy, but growing up, I was a fan of the original series of five films, and thought the Burton film was pretty neat, but nothing groundbreaker (except that bonkers ending scene).

I want to try and watch the new, reboot trilogy before KOTPOTA comes out, but I've already heard that test screenings of Kingdom have received poor reception from audiences, so now I'm kind of worried about the series, especially having heard how good the trilogy was.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2024, 01:59:18 PM »
I am a HUGE fan of this incarnation.

7 days ago, they released a new trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtFI7SNtVpY

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2024, 02:07:08 PM »
Is the newest movie the fourth in the series that started with James Franco, or is it the start of a new one?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2024, 02:17:38 PM »
Is the newest movie the fourth in the series that started with James Franco, or is it the start of a new one?

It is a continuation of the new reboot trilogy, but the new film is set like 300 years after the last one, so it might as well be a soft reboot in of itself, though I'm sure it'll reference the trilogy many times.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2024, 07:28:16 PM »

Yes....it's just a continuation of the story that started with that first one Franco starred in.