Author Topic: What's DT's next lineup change, and why?  (Read 12491 times)

Online mikeyd23

Re: What's DT's next lineup change, and why?
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2017, 01:19:20 PM »
I do think DT started with the wrong foot with their 1st leg of the Black Clouds Tour in North America. In my opinion, they should have headlined first, then Maiden but not ProgNation. Also, I don't think ProgNation (for BCLS) was well attended and I go as far to say that ProgNation (at least on the BCLS cycle) was an MP aberration. The majority of DT fans are there to see DT, not 3 more bands.

I agree. I think doing one NA ProgNation for the SC cycle was enough.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »
I had no idea Prognation did so bad (or maybe subpar is a better term).  I actually did something I never do for that show and skipped the opening bands.  I made it for a bit of Zappa Plays Zappa and people seemed pretty bored.  Actually during the opening bands I went walking along the riverwalk outside the venue and who was there but Mike Portnoy talking on the phone.  There were a few fans waiting a respectful distance for autographs.  We ended up getting a drink just a block over.  I had already met Portnoy by that point (two years earlier) so just flashed the horns as I walked by and he reciprocated.  A few minutes later I saw a blonde walk out of the backstage doors with two kids.  I'm pretty sure it was John Petrucci's wife and children.  It was kind of surreal to be sitting at this outside bar sipping root beer and see one of the guitarists of Meanstreak and the future drummer of Avenged Sevenfold. 

I guess the lesson is if you want to see Mike Portnoy and John Petrucci's wife, skip Zappa Plays Zappa. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2017, 01:26:48 PM »
So, yeah, that changes things up for them.  And even though the numbers for that touring cycle may not have been up to par, the Maiden tour did provide exposure, which is all the more reason for them to want to get out again on schedule and not take a long break.  That exposure would have been wasted if they disappeared for 5 years.

I agree with this.

I do think DT started with the wrong foot with their 1st leg of the Black Clouds Tour in North America. In my opinion, they should have headlined first, then Maiden but not ProgNation. Also, I don't think ProgNation (for BCLS) was well attended and I go as far to say that ProgNation (at least on the BCLS cycle) was an MP aberration. The majority of DT fans are there to see DT, not 3 more bands.

I don't think ProgNation was such a terrible idea, but the bands on the second PN tour were just not as popular as the bands were from the first ProgNation and given the unpopularity of the genre of music, it's hard to deliver when people aren't going for anyone besides the headliner at a festival.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2017, 01:27:40 PM »
Yes, that is my understanding.  I think Portnoy said something along the lines of, "we were pretty much done doing opening tours. But there are a small handful of bands we would go out with, and when Maiden comes knocking, you don't turn that down."  Or something like that. 

If I remember correctly, they were willing and wanting to open for Rush, Yes and Maiden. To quote Meat Loaf, two out of three ain't bad.
I think Metallica was on that short list as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2017, 01:28:40 PM »

If IRCC, SC did have a headline leg 1st and then ProgNation was the 2nd leg of the tour.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2017, 01:33:35 PM »
Maiden certainly got them a lot of exposer, but I think the opportunity to open for Rush is what they really wanted the most.  Too bad that didn't happen.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »
So, yeah, that changes things up for them.  And even though the numbers for that touring cycle may not have been up to par, the Maiden tour did provide exposure, which is all the more reason for them to want to get out again on schedule and not take a long break.  That exposure would have been wasted if they disappeared for 5 years.

I agree with this.

I don't think ProgNation was such a terrible idea, but the bands on the second PN tour were just not as popular as the bands were from the first ProgNation and given the unpopularity of the genre of music, it's hard to deliver when people aren't going for anyone besides the headliner at a festival.

That may have been another contributing factor, the band selection. I don't think DT was rotating setlists (IIRC), the bands were unappealing, etc. But the point I was trying to make, is that they didn't start a headlining tour after the release of BCLS in NA. When you chart an album at #6, you have leverage with promoters to book you. And I think that was overlooked by the band (MP, JP, management or a combination of both).

You "headline" with ProgNation; it doesn't do well, then you open for Maiden, you kind of kill the momentum you had with a top charting album and promoters will definitely second guess if they can get their return for their money to book DT after a year of the album being released. Then MP's departure happened and sealed the deal for the BCLS touring cycle.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2017, 01:41:56 PM »
You have to remember that the circumstances leading up to MP's departure may have been a factor regarding the BC&SL tour.  I don't think anything was overlooked.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2017, 01:48:15 PM »

I agree with this.

That may have been another contributing factor, the band selection. I don't think DT was rotating setlists (IIRC), the bands were unappealing, etc. But the point I was trying to make, is that they didn't start a headlining tour after the release of BCLS in NA. When you chart an album at #6, you have leverage with promoters to book you. And I think that was overlooked by the band (MP, JP, management or a combination of both).

You "headline" with ProgNation; it doesn't do well, then you open for Maiden, you kind of kill the momentum you had with a top charting album and promoters will definitely second guess if they can get their return for their money to book DT after a year of the album being released. Then MP's departure happened and sealed the deal for the BCLS touring cycle.

DT did do rotating setlists for both PN tours.  Saw them back to back in NYC for PN1 and they didn't repeat any songs.  I saw them in NJ and NYC for PN2 and the only songs repeated were the BCSL songs.  Also got to see the ProgNation Drum Solo (Percussive Nation), Repentance (with Akerfelt on vocals), and Metropolis with Dweezil Zappa.  They (DT) certainly delivered the goods on those four shows IMO.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2017, 01:56:36 PM »
Yes, that is my understanding.  I think Portnoy said something along the lines of, "we were pretty much done doing opening tours. But there are a small handful of bands we would go out with, and when Maiden comes knocking, you don't turn that down."  Or something like that. 

Now that's a pretty good argument. As for the rest of it, I really don't think immediately cranking out Sytematic Clouds of Drama and touring with it would have regained the momentum. I think it would have reinforced the stagnation. Perhaps I missed something, but I thought I read earlier that the promoters weren't exactly banging down their doors for a headlining tour, which was part of the reason for PN and the opening slot.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2017, 01:57:57 PM »

I don't think it was a terrible idea either, I agree about the popularity of the bands, but honestly I just think it was cool on the SC tour because it was different. I think the fan base was ready for a full-on DT NA tour on the next cycle, not ProgNation again.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2017, 02:00:59 PM »

Now that's a pretty good argument. As for the rest of it, I really don't think immediately cranking out Sytematic Clouds of Drama and touring with it would have regained the momentum. I think it would have reinforced the stagnation. Perhaps I missed something, but I thought I read earlier that the promoters weren't exactly banging down their doors for a headlining tour, which was part of the reason for PN and the opening slot.

No--as I understand it, they did PN because they wanted to do PN.  But after PN, they planned to headline, but the Maiden tour happened.  And then they were either getting pushback with bookings for a hypothetical headlining leg or perceived that they would. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2017, 02:03:48 PM »
DT did do rotating setlists for both PN tours.  Saw them back to back in NYC for PN1 and they didn't repeat any songs.  I saw them in NJ and NYC for PN2 and the only songs repeated were the BCSL songs.  Also got to see the ProgNation Drum Solo (Percussive Nation), Repentance (with Akerfelt on vocals), and Metropolis with Dweezil Zappa.  They (DT) certainly delivered the goods on those four shows IMO.

I don't remember exactly, but I didn't think they were switching it up that much, just rotating a couple songs in slots. Maybe they switched it up more for back to back.

I was lucky enough to see one of the headlining one-off shows they did when they were on tour with IM for BC&SL. Small little place in Columbus, OH.

Fantastic set -

A Nightmare to Remember
Constant Motion
Hollow Years (LaB style)
The Mirror
Lie
A Rite of Passage
Home
Panic Attack
As I Am
Pull Me Under
Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper

Encore:
The Count of Tuscany

Heavy, heavy set.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2017, 02:16:42 PM »
I think they just were playing long songs in a shorter set so there wasn't much wiggle room.  But in NJ we got:

A Nightmare to Remember
A Rite of Passage
Beyond This Life
Erotomania
Voices
Solitary Shell (extended improv)
In the Name of God

Encore:
The Count of Tuscany

then they played a show in New York the next day (I did not attend) then in New York City the day after:

A Nightmare to Remember
A Rite of Passage
Hollow Years (Extended)
Keyboard Solo
Prophets of War
The Dance of Eternity
One Last Time
The Count of Tuscany

Encore:
(with Dweezil Zappa) (Including 3-way battle between John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess, and Dweezil Zappa)

and even that headline set got a few different songs than the two shows I attended

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2017, 02:49:50 PM »
^Makes sense.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2017, 03:14:19 PM »
Black Clouds was the first album where they did not have a proper U.S. headlining tour.  And there were hints that, for whatever reason, bookings in the U.S. were getting difficult.
When I interviewed MP before the LA show, he commented that the PN09 tour was the first tour where they were breaking even, which he attributed more to the economy and the fact that they had 3 opening acts to pay for, rather than anything else. Had it been because of booking problems with the promoters, I'm pretty sure he would've said as much.

Perhaps he just thought there would be better, renewed interest if they took off for a while and came back with stronger material. I think that makes more sense than "let's keep doing the same thing, but faster!" I sort of see how Madman says they were in their prime, but I also see many ways they'd tanked out. Returning from a prolonged absence would generate buzz (and hopefully better music).
I think that was very much his thinking. While he'd still defend SC and BCaSL as being as good as everything else they did, not only was he feeling burn out, but he was also seeing the rest of the guys at minimum falling into a rut with the write/record/tour cycle, which is why he wanted to shake things up. And while some may argue that financially it would've been impossible to take a long break (and I agree, an indefinite hiatus, or even one of 5 years is too much), taking a year off to do other things away from the band was both feasible and possible. JR could've continued work on his apps and any solo projects he wanted to, JP on his second solo album (which we are still waiting for), JL on his next solo album and JM on the next Jelly Jam album, as well as touring behind such albums/bands/projects. Coming back after that would've been refreshing and given each of them new experiences to draw from when working on the next DT album.

Of course heading off with a new drummer accomplishes the same thing (well, the first part, anyway).
True - something that MP noted himself.

And Derek is in MP's band now, so I don't find the DT reconnect likely (unless JR AND MM both leave).
As crazy and unrealistic as it is, I can almost imagine a scenario where DT and this new MP/DS band would unite into a single DT lineup, ala Yes's Union lineup. Like I said, it's crazy and unrealistic, but it's something I can't help but think of - not sure why.   :P

I can't remember now whether Portnoy had said that they were having difficulty getting a separate headlining tour booked with some promoters or whether it was JP that said to me that some promoters wouldn't book a headlining tour because they felt that the market was saturated after the other two legs.  It may have been both.  Again, I don't remember specifically. 
What "other two legs" are you speaking of? At that point, they only did the PN09 tour in North America. Or are you referring to both the PN09 leg and the leg opening for Maiden? As far as I know, while there may have been some initial plans to do a headlining run in the summer of 2010, I think early on that was squashed, but not because of problems with the promoters, but rather to shake things up more (and break free of the touring cycle they were in: warmup/festival tour Europe in the early summer, tour North America, proper album tour of Europe, tour Asia, tour South America and do a final run through North America again). The Maiden thing came up when they weren't expecting it, and the took the opportunity since they knew it would be good exposure and this sort of offer didn't happen all the time. Had Maiden not offered the opening slot, the shows in South America would've marked the end of the tour.

What I DO specifically recall is that when I talked to JP on the ADTOE tour, I said something along the lines of:  "I know some fans were disappointed that there wasn't a proper headlining tour for Black Clouds.  With only doing Prog Nation and a limited run of opening dates for Maiden, it feels like the touring dropped off significantly in the U.S. for that album.  With a band like Dream Theater that is big enough to make a good living, but not huge, it seems to me like a hiatus would be a huge momentum killer, and that you guys needed to ramp things back up to normal levels before thinking about a break.  Am I off base here?"  John agreed with my take pretty enthusiastically, although we didn't get into too much more detail than that.  But it was enough to confirm my suspicions about why the idea of a break was not well received by them.
I think JP said as much when doing interviews shortly after MP split, commenting (I'm paraphrasing) on how they had just played MSG (opening for Maiden), and that on the next tour, how it might be possible for them to play that venue themselves.

Also want to note that it's interesting Prognation seemed to be more of a reaction to the lack of interest from promoters rather than just something Mike wanted to do.
Not at all. MP wanted to mix things up even more - I think it's clear that he doesn't like to fall into a rut with anything. And even with touring, this is true. So that's why for a time they did Evening With shows, then had opening bands again, and finally ProgNation. Plus he wanted to be able to "give back" to the music community by giving some of these deserving bands more exposure than they would probably get otherwise.

Barto, the problem wasn't that things were declining while they were doing the same old thing.  Things declined a bit because the touring--which is their bread and butter, financially speaking--was done differently on the Black Clouds tour cycle than in the past.  They got things back on track by doing more of a "normal" (for them) tour cycle with the next album.  Of course, the buzz of Mangini in the band may have helped.  But the proof is in the numbers for the next two tours.  Things more or less normalized for them.
To a degree things might have normalized for them, but then again, there are reports even in Europe of audiences shrinking, let alone what we saw especially with the second North American leg of the Astonishing tour. So just getting back into the normal swing of things isn't necessarily the answer either.

The majority of DT fans are there to see DT, not 3 more bands.
I think that was true without a doubt. Maybe a decent chunk were there for ZPZ, but not for the other bands. But again, the reasoning behind PN was to give other smaller bands more exposure.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2017, 04:00:04 PM »
Thanks for filling in some of the gaps, Scotty.  I knew the Maiden thing was unexpected.  But are you sure no proper headlining tour in the U.S. was going to be scheduled after PN?  I don't know otherwise, but I assumed the plan prior to Maiden offering the opening slot was for the PN dates with the shorter set, and then a proper headlining run with a longer set. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2017, 05:16:19 PM »
I don't remember where I read or heard it from (could've been an interview or a personal conversation), but I remember MP had commented that they weren't planning to do another run through the US until the Maiden offer happened. I don't have time right now, but I'll see if I can dig up that quote.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2017, 06:19:22 PM »
All this talk about MP back in DT; do you really think JP could trust him to not be stirring shit up on social media like he always has?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2017, 06:35:30 PM »

I don't remember exactly, but I didn't think they were switching it up that much, just rotating a couple songs in slots. Maybe they switched it up more for back to back.

I was lucky enough to see one of the headlining one-off shows they did when they were on tour with IM for BC&SL. Small little place in Columbus, OH.

Fantastic set -

A Nightmare to Remember
Constant Motion
Hollow Years (LaB style)
The Mirror
Lie
A Rite of Passage
Home
Panic Attack
As I Am
Pull Me Under

Encore:
The Count of Tuscany

Heavy, heavy set.

The Newport. I almost went to that show. Some guys that I used to play music with went, and said that it was a good one. I seen them opening for Maiden in Cleveland around that time, and it wasn't good.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2017, 07:03:08 PM »
All this talk about MP back in DT; do you really think JP could trust him to not be stirring shit up on social media like he always has?

I think the bigger issue would be Petrucci having to surrender control.  It's clear that he likes being the leader now, instead of the co-leader, and having to give up that much control would be tough to do. And I don't think Portnoy would agree to returning and taking a lesser role in regards to control and power.  Petrucci would not let him return and say, "We are not playing any songs from when I was gone," and I don't think Portnoy would agree to playing any songs from the Mangini era.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2017, 08:08:21 PM »
What about the Shattered Fortress opening for Dream Theater?  As cheesey as that sounds, that would be pretty awesome.

Cram, when did you turn into a troll??  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2017, 09:42:28 PM »
DT 2019:

Mike Portnoy
John Petrucci
Russel Allen
Derek Sherinian
John Myung

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2017, 12:10:41 AM »
DT 2019:

Mike Portnoy
John Petrucci
Russel Allen
Derek Sherinian
John Myung
Lol, that's a hell of a dream team :P

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2017, 05:44:39 AM »
What about the Shattered Fortress opening for Dream Theater?  As cheesey as that sounds, that would be pretty awesome.

Cram, when did you turn into a troll??  :lol

:biggrin:  I was being kind of serious, I mean, everyone is right, it would never work.  But I'd enjoy it if it happened.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2017, 06:36:36 AM »

Fantastic set -

A Nightmare to Remember
Constant Motion
Hollow Years (LaB style)
The Mirror
Lie
A Rite of Passage
Home
Panic Attack
As I Am
Pull Me Under

Encore:
The Count of Tuscany

Heavy, heavy set.

The Newport. I almost went to that show. Some guys that I used to play music with went, and said that it was a good one. I seen them opening for Maiden in Cleveland around that time, and it wasn't good.

The Newport indeed. Great show. I also saw them in Pittsburgh opening for Maiden on that tour, the one-off at the Newport was such a standout show.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2017, 08:52:47 AM »
Yeah, other than Hollow Years, that's a pretty fantastic set.  The only other song in there I'm not crazy about is A Rite of Passage.  But I bet it's actually a pretty good live tune.  And as with pretty much any of their songs, I wouldn't mind seeing it once.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2017, 09:24:43 AM »

Fantastic set -

A Nightmare to Remember
Constant Motion
Hollow Years (LaB style)
The Mirror
Lie
A Rite of Passage
Home
Panic Attack
As I Am
Pull Me Under

Encore:
The Count of Tuscany

Heavy, heavy set.

The Newport indeed. Great show. I also saw them in Pittsburgh opening for Maiden on that tour, the one-off at the Newport was such a standout show.

I was at that Columbus show too and I remember a great crowd, awesome setlist, they were dead on that night.....and if memory serves, that's the show where Portnoy put on a granny dress and wig and came out during Beatellica and played for a bit.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2017, 09:38:53 AM »
I was at that Columbus show too and I remember a great crowd, awesome setlist, they were dead on that night.....and if memory serves, that's the show where Portnoy put on a granny dress and wig and came out during Beatellica and played for a bit.

Yes it definitely was.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2017, 11:24:06 AM »
DT 2019:

Mike Portnoy
John Petrucci
Russel Allen
Diego Tejeida
John Myung

Fixed it  :biggrin:

Seriously, though, I don't think Derek will ever return to DT. I mean, he's said in the past that he has no interest in playing any of the JR era material, which is the vast majority of DT's catalog (9 albums, to be precise).

On the other hand, Diego is good friends with both MP and JR, so I could see Jordan asking Diego to replace him when he retires. He's shown, with these MP TSF shows, that he's more than capable to nail the material, and, if you listen to his lead playing in Haken, specially the first 2 albums, you'll notice that he sounds like a great blend of Derek and Jordan. Could we ever ask for more?  :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2017, 03:50:36 PM »
DT 2019:

Mike Portnoy
John Petrucci
Russel Allen
Diego Tejeida
John Myung

Fixed it  :biggrin:

Seriously, though, I don't think Derek will ever return to DT. I mean, he's said in the past that he has no interest in playing any of the JR era material, which is the vast majority of DT's catalog (9 albums, to be precise).

On the other hand, Diego is good friends with both MP and JR, so I could see Jordan asking Diego to replace him when he retires. He's shown, with these MP TSF shows, that he's more than capable to nail the material, and, if you listen to his lead playing in Haken, specially the first 2 albums, you'll notice that he sounds like a great blend of Derek and Jordan. Could we ever ask for more?  :metal

That would work for me too!!! :metal

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2017, 05:42:32 PM »
James will gracefully step aside because he realizes Urban Breed deserves the gig more.

Urban brings back what the band has so clearly been lacking since Mike left: A middle-aged man wearing sports jerseys on stage.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2017, 01:16:27 PM »
Most likely no lineup changes, but they are about due for a genre change.  :p

I've been waiting all these years for their funk album   :-)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2017, 02:55:18 PM »
Most likely no lineup changes, but they are about due for a genre change.  :p

I've been waiting all these years for their funk album   :-)

+1

It would make my life to hear JM bust into a slap bass solo.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2017, 02:56:56 PM »
At this point, nothing would surprise me.