Author Topic: What's DT's next lineup change, and why?  (Read 12486 times)

Online Skeever

What's DT's next lineup change, and why?
« on: July 17, 2017, 05:05:42 PM »
DT's lineup has been pretty stable, as far as most bands go these days. Over 20+ years, only two members have been fired, and two walked away on their own accord. It's seems that DT leadership (read: Petrucci) are relatively happy to keep things stable, even when some members fade off into the background (Myung) or give inconsistent performance (LaBrie).

So I'm really curious - what's DT's next lineup change, and why?

If I had to guess, I would say "Mangini leaves amicably on his own terms" either this album cycle or next. Not sure why, I feel that way, but the guy seems to not love touring so much, and also seems to be the kind of person who doesn't like to stay in once place for too long.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: What's DT's next lineup change, and why?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 05:28:06 PM »
I think DT is done with changes. The only exception being the drummer spot. I could see Mangini choosing to leave.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 05:30:46 PM »
I can see Jordan being the next to go. He's a few years older than the rest of them and he may not feel up to touring anymore in the coming years. It wouldn't be an explosive split like with Portnoy. It would simply be JR retiring.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 11:49:17 PM »
I can see Jordan being the next to go. He's a few years older than the rest of them and he may not feel up to touring anymore in the coming years. It wouldn't be an explosive split like with Portnoy. It would simply be JR retiring.
This. I can imagine the touring might get to be too much for him. Plus with all his solo work and app development stuff on the side, there's plenty to both keep him busy and (I would imagine) well financially.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 01:07:43 AM »
I would agree, I think and I hope that this is the ultimate line-up, but if something changes, it will be either because of Jordan feeling he's old enough to tour, or Mangini getting other priorities in life and leaving of his own accord.

In the "Too old to tour" scenario could Jordan just remain in DT and write the songs with Petrucci, and let someone else be a touring member? or it would be unfair to say "I'm in the band, you just play my songs on tour" to a young replacement?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 01:10:35 AM »
In the "Too old to tour" scenario could Jordan just remain in DT and write the songs with Petrucci, and let someone else be a touring member? or it would be unfair to say "I'm in the band, you just play my songs on tour" to a young replacement?

Not the same, but in Within Temptation, their guitarist Robert writes/records with the band, but then has someone else tour in his place.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 01:26:06 AM »
I don't follow the band but I know them - unless I'm wrong I think that's for a very specific reason, he has a son (or daughter?) with the singer and so one of the parents has to stay at home. He stays because you can't obviously replace the singer.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 03:17:19 AM »
I doubt it would happen - remember when before the split MP offered to do some occasional work with DT in 2011, but the rest of the guys turned it down? I think the band's (or at least JP's) mentality is "you're in 100% or you're out."

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 03:38:42 AM »
Well, most assume Jordan will leave due to his age but I guess that would be James because his issues with voice. Not that I say he is bad now but considering compelling vocals and long live schedule he would choose retiring for the sake of his own and the band.

As for me, yes Petrucci main writer and the key element of the band but if James leaves I'll probably lose interest.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 03:53:03 AM »
They could always tune down just like they did with Images and Words, and write future records according to his range. I doubt James will quit just because he won't be able to sing Learning to Live anymore.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 06:25:57 AM »
For me, I think that it is inevitable that Mike Portnoy will one day return so I'm going Mangini out and Portnoy in.  This could be down to Mangini not wanting to continue or could be the case that DT may get to a stage where album/ticket sales reduce and they feel that they need a boost and MP's return would perhaps do that to an extent.  I certainly think they will have seen the rapturous reviews of the Shattered Fortress shows and you've then got the prospect of the upcoming prog metal project with Derek.  Feels a little like when Bruce Dickinson teamed up with Adrian Smith and started making Iron Maiden sounding solo albums to great acclaim and eventually they went back to him as the Blaze Bayley albums and tours were not on the same scale as before.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 06:44:05 AM »
With due respect to Portnoy's importance in the history of the band and personality, in the end he was  the drummer. For the kind of band that DT is, that always have his own core fanbase (Hell, the venue where I first saw them in 1999 is the same venue where I last saw them this year), Portnoy's return wouldn't be tectonic shift that James' return would have been, had he gone from the band, or, say, Chris De Garmo returning to Queensryche when they weren't still bogged down in bad situations with Tate.

Yeah, he would be welcomed back by many, and the resulting album would get quite the attention, but in the big scheme of things, it would not be a major game changer like it was for Maiden.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 07:06:45 AM »
I guess maybe JR retiring could be the next lineup change, but he seems like he could go a lot longer. It's not like being the keyboard player takes a toll like a vocalist or drummer. His hands seem fine still, which is pretty much all he needs. He could start sitting at his keyboard in concert like many other keyboardists do, and I think he could keep going for a long while. Whether he will want to, I have no clue, but he probably could.

As far as MM, I'm unsure what the future holds. I think if the leadership in the band (JP and JR) make him feel much more involved in the writing and arranging process for the next album or the next couple albums, I think he'll be fine. It does seem like touring might not agree with him, and I get that, but DT's touring schedules aren't that bad, they usually schedule breaks to go home, so I think he can continue just fine. Now if those things don't happen or continue to happen, I could see him leaving, just based on comments he's made. If that happens I have no doubt that MP would be the drummer in DT again.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 08:25:09 AM »
This is a very interesting thread about something I've been thinking about a lot lately.

I agree with many people here that JR would want to retire from touring because of his age. I would say he stays for 2-3 more albums/tours before he decides to leave in an amicable way. I feel like he would focus on his solo career and app developmennt, as well as spending time with his family.

The other posibility, and one that I would like to happen, not because I dislike the guy, but because I think a change on this area could benefit the band, is James leaving.
I really like his voice and he was perfect on TA, but, tbh, he struggles a lot live and I would like to see how DT sounds with a different vocalist (not you, WDADU or Majesty demos).

About Mangini leaving, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon, but, as some of you have said, he doesn't seem to like heavy touring too much.
Anyway, if he decides to leave, I don't think the band would ask Portnoy to return, the would get another drummer, imo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 08:34:41 AM »
The other posibility, and one that I would like to happen, not because I dislike the guy, but because I think a change on this area could benefit the band, is James leaving.
I really like his voice and he was perfect on TA, but, tbh, he struggles a lot live and I would like to see how DT sounds with a different vocalist (not you, WDADU or Majesty demos).

Honestly, I'm not sure DT would continue if James left. At this point in their careers that would be a pretty big blow, MP leaving was one thing but James has been the literal voice of the band since I&W... That would be interesting.

About Mangini leaving, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon, but, as some of you have said, he doesn't seem to like heavy touring too much.
Anyway, if he decides to leave, I don't think the band would ask Portnoy to return, the would get another drummer, imo.

I respectfully disagree, at this point if MM left, I'd be surprised if they went barking up another tree. I think they'd return to what they know.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 08:43:51 AM »
If JR decides to hang it up (due to age), does anybody think Derek would return to DT if he was offered the chance? Personally, I would love to have him back. I didn't think he was given a fair shot to begin with. Anyways, thoughts on this?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 09:16:52 AM »
If JR decides to hang it up (due to age), does anybody think Derek would return to DT if he was offered the chance? Personally, I would love to have him back. I didn't think he was given a fair shot to begin with. Anyways, thoughts on this?

Since as soon as 2004 (that was jsut 5 years after) he joined them for an encore, I don't think that so many years down the line, he still has some grudges about being booted. If the musical side of it interests him, I think he would be up for giving it a second go.

Also having Derek back would soften the blow of such another huge line-up change... "Ok, Jordan's gone, but someone of the family comes back".

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 09:26:54 AM »
Most likely no lineup changes, but they are about due for a genre change.  :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 10:44:34 AM »
If there is going to be any changes, my guess is MM leaves on his own.  Some of his social media posts seem like he gets really tired and exhausted from touring which is understandable, but I don't think he has as much of an emotional connection to DT as the other members do plus I think he will always have MP lurking in the distance.   To me, if anyone were to quit, I think it would be him because of that.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 11:12:31 AM »
My money's on Myung being the next. Despite his age, Jordan seems to love touring. He's always posting about the places he's visiting and how much he enjoys meeting people and fans when he's just out sightseeing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 11:13:12 AM »
If there is going to be any changes, my guess is MM leaves on his own.  Some of his social media posts seem like he gets really tired and exhausted from touring which is understandable, but I don't think he has as much of an emotional connection to DT as the other members do plus I think he will always have MP lurking in the distance.   To me, if anyone were to quit, I think it would be him because of that.

Maybe MM will ask for a five year break.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 11:29:12 AM »

And the band will agree because they don't want to lose him... :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 06:26:32 PM »
I'm with Cram. I don't get the impression Mangini's particularly fond of the situation. He'll leave on his own.
Rudess seems to really dig what he's got going. Their touring schedule is super-kind, and most of it is in cool places. He doesn't want to leave.
If JLB hasn't left a dozen times before, he's not going to leave now just because his voice tanks.
Myung will be a bass player until his death in 2069. It seems to be his entire life. What's he going to do, become a fisherman?
I would love to see DS return if Rudess retired. Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing the reverse of 1999 right now. However, that's not the direction JP would want to go.
Should MM leave, my bet, I have very real doubts that MP would be welcomed back. Two of them would be alright with it and two of them would object vociferously. In fact, that's probably the only way I could see JLB or JMX leaving the band.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 06:35:19 PM »
I think there is probably a 0% chance of any of them leaving.  While each of them leads a very comfortable life and yes, could probably be considered "rich," none of them are millionaires and to maintain the type of lifestyle they lead, they need the band.  Now, they may be gearing up to slow things down.  3 of the guys have kids that are college age.  I think MM and JM have younger kids.  That's expensive.  So in five years or so, if they've all been good with their money, then yeah they may slow things down.  Despite JR's age, he seems to love being in the band.  I mean, at this point he is kind of the vice president (or perhaps assistant supreme overlord) to JP. 

Even though DT's music is a bit more grueling that some of these other classic bands, Deep Purple is in their 70s and still touring, many other bands are in their late 60s, I think every current member of DT will make it close to ten more years and then put the band on ice.  That would put JP and JR at age 60.  JR in his early 70s.  MM and JLB in their mid 60s. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 06:41:38 PM »

Obviously all of this is just fun and not serious, but if that happens then I think MP should be given free reign to say anything he wants on social media, no holds barred.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 07:02:26 PM »

Obviously all of this is just fun and not serious, but if that happens then I think MP should be given free reign to say anything he wants on social media, no holds barred.

He already does that though lol.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Adami

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 07:04:34 PM »

Free reign. No one would be allowed to criticize him for it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 08:02:14 PM »

Honestly, I hope Mangini gets over not wanting rock the boat and goes into the writing of the next album determined to get some of his ideas through.  And he needs to be more forceful about how his drums sound on record. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 09:50:59 PM »

Not the same, but in Within Temptation, their guitarist Robert writes/records with the band, but then has someone else tour in his place.

That's only because someone needs to take care of the baby, and Sharon is the voice of WT and can't be replaced.

I also think Mangini will be next. That interview he did saying he wasn't happy not being included in the writing is telling. If it happens again, I wouldn't be surprised if he said adios, and I wouldn't blame him. Myung may not show it, but I think he's happy and comfortable, and Jordan always looks like he's having a blast.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 11:31:14 PM »

Honestly, I hope Mangini gets over not wanting rock the boat and goes into the writing of the next album determined to get some of his ideas through.  And he needs to be more forceful about how his drums sound on record.

Agree. 

Same goes for James.  Hope he gets to write lyrics for at least two songs.  Hell, let Jordan or Mike write lyrics for a song as well if they so choose.  I know Jordan writes lyrics, not sure about Mike. 

Thankfully Petrucci's lyrics on DT12 and ADTOE were excellent so its hard to be too mad at him for dominating that sector but I want it to feel more like a band. 

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2017, 11:41:06 PM »
If I remember correctly, there was an interview with JLB during the DT12 era and he talked about being frustrated that he wasn't more involved with lyrics and writing a song and apparently had one that he was interested in taking, but JP ended up writing the lyric. He said that he wouldn't let that happen again and then...well... The Astonishing..
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 07:23:31 AM »

From now until the day he dies, no question.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2017, 07:30:15 AM »

From now until the day he dies, no question.

Yeah, if that were to happen, there wouldn't be any complaints from me when MP starts talking shit. In fact, if DT did something like that, it might even put a damper on my enjoyment of them. That's cold.

That's worse than firing someone through Email the day they're supposed to go record vocals for the new album, and right before Christmas.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2017, 08:00:21 AM »

I really think DT needs to embrace this as well, for MM's sake.  The guy seems like he wants to be involved more in the writing and they should let him, especially after doing an album that was really only JP and JR.  I think next album they should be more open to collaborating with the rest of the band.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2017, 08:23:42 AM »
That's worse than firing someone through Email the day they're supposed to go record vocals for the new album, and right before Christmas.

Ripper with Iced Earth, right?