Author Topic: JP has no JLB vocals in his live mix apparently  (Read 10521 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MirrorMask

Re: JP has no JLB vocals in his live mix apparently
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 02:46:04 PM »
Well, his explanation makes sense.

Now I suddenly think back of all the times James sings near to him, like for example the high part of Innocence Faded on Score, and JP must be like "yeah, whatever, yell all you want, I can't hear you"  :lol

So basicallly JP has no idea of how James' doing? he walks off the stage without realizing how he either kicked ass or had a bad day?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 02:59:39 PM »
"And it just sounds so heavy and so good. I wish everybody could listen to my mix. I wish I could hand it out to the audience. It's really a great sound."

He says that like he can't make that happen.  Do it JP! Do it!  :rollin

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 03:01:52 PM »
I'm glad he has a sound he likes. I know how important that is.

But the fans? Instrumental versions of songs that are as identical as possible to the studio? Seems boring.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 03:04:45 PM »
I don't know why, but the first line makes me laugh... ;D
"My headphone mix is unbelievable."
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 03:10:54 PM »
Speaking on hearing how things sound on stage... I'd love to actually try it. More than a meet n' greet, I would pay for a proper tour of the stage, sitting on the drums, putting on their headphones and hearing how they hear themselves, and so on.

I understand it would be difficult - after all there are people working there, and why would they want to babysit audience members and make sure they don't damage anything they're carefully set up, but what a blast it would be to walk around the stage. My wet dream is to do it with Iron Maiden, but even a tour of DT's stage would be quite good.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Evai

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 03:25:30 PM »
He has his own backing vocals in the mix though??
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 03:27:14 PM »
I would actually pay for a live mix of live DT without JLB. Just to hear what it sounds like live, cowbell and all.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 03:29:10 PM »
He has his own backing vocals in the mix though??
Don't know that one, but probably yes. I'm not a professional musician as Him but Im a musician and I like to hear myself, am I out of the pitch, or spot on (spot on is rare :P but sometimes happens  ;D )

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 10:44:05 PM »
I bet JP thinks James nails it every night  :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 10:51:10 PM »
"Hey James....how were you tonight?"
"I was rawkin! I nailed all of it. But uh.....don't watch any youtube videos of it"
"Why not?"
"You know the distortion and stuff.....you can't judge by it"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 11:39:33 PM »
"I was rawkin! I nailed all of it. But uh.....don't watch any youtube videos of it"
"Why not?"

:lol

His reasoning makes sense, although I'd still want the vocals mixed in low so you don't lose track of where you're up to in the song. But whatever works for him. I'm not the one playing on stage.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Evai

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 03:06:33 AM »
Now we wait for all the other band members to admit they asked for JLB to be removed from their ears
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 06:53:59 AM »
As someone who has used in-ears a lot, his reason makes perfect sense. If you are trying to lock in a good, consistent mix, a singer moving along different parts of the stage like that would screw with things.

As to whether he has his own voice in his in-ears, he might, he might not. I know a lot of guys that don't actually mix their vocal into their in-ear mix because when you have ears in, sealing everything off, you can hear yourself singing in your head, even with a pretty loud band mix.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 02:10:29 PM »
Speaking on hearing how things sound on stage... I'd love to actually try it. More than a meet n' greet, I would pay for a proper tour of the stage, sitting on the drums, putting on their headphones and hearing how they hear themselves, and so on.

I understand it would be difficult - after all there are people working there, and why would they want to babysit audience members and make sure they don't damage anything they're carefully set up, but what a blast it would be to walk around the stage. My wet dream is to do it with Iron Maiden, but even a tour of DT's stage would be quite good.

Well, not the "hearing part," but they DO sell stage tour packages.  I think it is the "diamond package" where you get a stage tour, and Maddi will answer all kinds of questions about the gear and such.  It's quite cool, and I would highly recommend it for those that can afford it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 02:58:08 PM »
Hasn't JP said that he can often hear JLB without the microphone?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 03:16:38 PM »

He doesn't need a microphone, his voice is fucking powerful  :metal

Offline CB

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 04:27:40 PM »

He doesn't need a microphone, his voice is fucking powerful  :metal

I remember JP said that he can hear JLB's real voice (not through the microphone) on stage when he's coming near him, because JLB's voice is very loud.

It seems strange to me, being on stage, not hearing your singer and not hearing the audience??? Doesn't JP feel disconnected?

Anyway, the interview is very interesting, as well as JRs interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TToz0QP25YU&feature=youtu.be&t=2851

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 07:08:57 AM »
It seems strange to me, being on stage, not hearing your singer and not hearing the audience??? Doesn't JP feel disconnected?

A lot of guys have mixes like that in their in-ear monitors, it's pretty common.

Offline wrighty

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 10:43:22 AM »
"Why not?"

His reasoning makes sense, although I'd still want the vocals mixed in low so you don't lose track of where you're up to in the song. But whatever works for him. I'm not the one playing on stage.

This.  If someone screws up timing or whatever, the general rule is to follow the singer, I think.  Dream Theater don't make mistakes though, I suppose.

Online Adami

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 11:13:45 AM »
"Why not?"

This.  If someone screws up timing or whatever, the general rule is to follow the singer, I think.  Dream Theater don't make mistakes though, I suppose.

Well with DT, the rule is to follow the click.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 11:27:14 AM »

For MM it is.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 12:13:18 PM »
 If you have no clue what's the reason about; it almost sounds like, JP doesn't want to hear JLB's voice in the mix because he can't stand his voice" when you read it.  :lol
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online Adami

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 12:53:34 PM »

For MM it is.

When he's playing. When MM isn't playing, whoever is has the click too. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they all have the click to varying degrees in their mix
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mladen

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 01:04:29 PM »
I bet JP thinks James nails it every night  :lol
Just what I was thinking.  :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 01:34:08 PM »
I would imagine sometimes he can faintly hear James in the background.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 01:34:17 PM »

For MM it is.

When he's playing. When MM isn't playing, whoever is has the click too. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they all have the click to varying degrees in their mix

Yeah I think you and I discussed this before if I remember right. I'd guess the other guys don't hear the click when MM is playing, only when he isn't.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 04:27:04 PM »

For MM it is.

Yeah I think you and I discussed this before if I remember right. I'd guess the other guys don't hear the click when MM is playing, only when he isn't.

Do You remember bonus Live At Budokan videos? There is a scene where JR and JP are rehearsing Goodnight Kiss, and JP is saying clearly that he is creating the tempo in that one. So They can't have click in a mix in that case. Maybe in some songs, but IMO not in everyone.   

Offline Skeever

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 04:32:08 PM »
Every time I've seen DT live, James has been pretty ear-splitting just due to sheer volume. Plus his voice these days has a very shrill, ice-pick sound live. Combined with all the processing he seems to have going on, I wouldn't be surprised for those reasonswhy JP wants that - as well as the ambient sound - out of his mix. I could imagine it's very distracting, especially if James is struggling that night.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 04:44:32 PM »

For MM it is.

Do You remember bonus Live At Budokan videos? There is a scene where JR and JP are rehearsing Goodnight Kiss, and JP is saying clearly that he is creating the tempo in that one. So They can't have click in a mix in that case. Maybe in some songs, but IMO not in everyone.   

I believe this changed when MP left? I think all their performances nowadays are in the same tempo as the studio versions, or at least the same on all shows, unlike the past. But I am sure others know this better than me. Furthermore, during the previous shows  Also, during previous tours a lot of the songs where perfectly aligned with the supportive video's, usually bands use click tracks to do so I think.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2017, 05:19:49 PM »
Yeah, they only started using a click since the ADTOE tour. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2017, 06:07:44 PM »

Well they used it on some songs before then.  Not the majority though. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2017, 06:12:56 PM »
Now I suddenly think back of all the times James sings near to him, like for example the high part of Innocence Faded on Score, and JP must be like "yeah, whatever, yell all you want, I can't hear you"  :lol
This made me laugh, as I know exactly the part you're referring to. JP's expression becomes almost taunting in that context.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2017, 03:10:27 AM »
"Why not?"
WHY I OUGHTA :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2017, 07:21:51 AM »

With MP they didn't use click, with MM they do.

Well they used it on some songs before then.  Not the majority though.

Live? I don't think so. I remember MP saying that when he first played live with AX7 that was the first time he played to a click live.