Author Topic: Queensryche survivor 2017 - Rules & annoucements  (Read 1296 times)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
Queensryche survivor 2017 - Rules & annoucements
« on: July 16, 2017, 04:24:37 AM »
QUEENSRYCHE SURVIVOR 2017

Welcome in Queensryche survivor 2017 my Friends!  :yarr
Word of explanation for the beginning. In 2013 I run Queensryche survivor which has not been completed due to very stormy time in my life. Many problems, my job in that time and bunch of other things made me to put a survivor into hiatus, what is more, those issues also made me to put into hiatus my engagement into DTF forums. And as I was involved in some other forums in that time, I had to leave them too, because of the lack of time - only You Guys, only DTF community was interested WTF happened to me. Thank You so much for this, I knew that I will back here some day, and that day has come couple days ago :) Let's get to the rules of QUEENSRYCHE Survivor 2017!

RULES OF ALBUM SURVIVOR
  • There will be an album survivor first which determine how many songs of each record will get to the finals. It will last for 4 days, it will start 17th of July and ends on 20th of July. We will use a simple pole for voting, just by clicking Your most favourite album of all Queensryche albums. How many songs into finals?:
    1st place album - 5 songs
    2nd place album - 4 songs
    3rd place album - 3 songs

4th place album - 2 songs
    5th place album - 2 songs....
    14th place album - 0 songs
    15th place album - 0 songs

That will give us 32 songs into the finals. One song below best songs of each album will go into consolidation, which gave us 13 songs into consolidations.

RULES OF TYPICAL SURVIVOR
    • 24 hours rounds, depends from the amount of participants. If more than 10 of us will be involved, then I go with 48 hours for consolidations and finals
    • order will be chronological
    • if there's a tie in a tiebreaker, the song with more votes in total will be eliminated
    • of course everyone will be able to see the votes after rounds, and I will be posting below final round results from one album straight after it ends
    • another of course, some of the short spoken, interlude type tracks like "Waiting For 22" or "My Empty Room" will not be included, hope You agree with that. I see no sense in voting by that kind of tracks.

QUESTIONS FOR PARTICIPANTS
    • if You Guys have any sugestions according to QS survivor, feel free to post it here
    • I do not include Take Cover album from obvious reasons BUT, if You think that it should be included - let me know, wel'll make it happen :)

My plan is to start:
    - an ALBUM SURVIVOR survivor on Monday, 17th of July 2017 to Thursday, 20th of July.
    - a SURVIVOR[/b ]on Friday, 21th of July 2017.

Give me some feedback so we could see how many of us is interested in participating in this one.
    Cheers!! and put on Your headphones with Queensryche discography  :metal

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:35:57 PM by The Silent Cody »

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Queensryche survivor 2017 - Rules & annoucements
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 05:25:46 AM »
Well, I'm quite knowledgeable in the history of the band, but only in the first half. I'm up for partecipating, but after Promised Land there are basically 2-3 songs off each album I remember (bar Mindcrime II) and I would realistically drop out until the finals.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 06:50:43 AM »
This will be cool!!

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 07:01:58 AM »
Thanks Guys! Who's next? I'm sure that there are solid Queensryche fans here  ;)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 07:16:09 AM »
I'll probably be around for the first five albums. It will be fun.  :smiley:

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 07:18:58 AM »
Thank You! I'm wondering, how many of us will survive the post-Promised Land era  ;D ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 07:22:35 AM »
Yeah, I actually feel kind of bad for being one of those guys that sticks around only when the more popular albums are being discussed and then disappears when people move onto the other stuff. I'm aware the lesser known albums also have their share of great songs.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 08:32:12 AM »
Well I have to admit that American Soldier and Frequency Unknown are two albums which I have listened only once... So I'm planning to give these two another chance during that survivor  ;)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 09:39:08 AM »
I've actually listened everything from Queensryche up until  Dedicated to Chaos... but I'm not rembering the songs well enough to vote and discuss them.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 02:04:58 PM »
Is there really a point in doing DTC and FU?  I won't even listen to those for any reason, and seriously... the "top 2" songs from those will surely just be the first eliminated in the Finals.  I'd rather see some of their best albums get an additional entrant into the finals than see any of that tripe make it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 02:59:38 PM »
Is there really a point in doing DTC and FU?  I won't even listen to those for any reason, and seriously... the "top 2" songs from those will surely just be the first eliminated in the Finals.  I'd rather see some of their best albums get an additional entrant into the finals than see any of that tripe make it.
That went through my mind also to be honest... I think I just drop those two mentioned and put 3 or 4 best songs from TW, RFO, OM, Empire and Promised Land into finals. I'll make a statement in first post tomorrow about that, what do You Guys think?

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 03:09:09 PM »
I'm cool with forgetting about DTC and FU....I don't imagine many people will vote for them anyway.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 03:20:40 PM »
That went through my mind also to be honest... I think I just drop those two mentioned and put 3 or 4 best songs from TW, RFO, OM, Empire and Promised Land into finals. I'll make a statement in first post tomorrow about that, what do You Guys think?

I'll offer my opinion related not specific to Queensryche, but with survivors in general.

On one hand I understand the format, the desider to keep everything the same and giving all the albums a fair chance. But on the other hand, I feel that according to the history and the output of a band, rather than taking away something from lesser albums, the acclaimed ones should get more songs to the finals, and maybe a preliminary albums survivor should determine said favorite albums.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and Virtual XI from Iron Maiden both have 8 songs... but both got 2 songs each in the finals, with one being one of their most acclaimed albums and the other being one of the most panned. DT's universally beloved SFAM has 12 songs, the controversial Black Clouds has half, and they both get 2 songs each? that felt a bit unbalanced.

Using DT as example, it may be unfair to, say, put all of Images and Words in the finals. But anyway the lesser songs are not gonna win just because only Metropolis and Learning to Live are around and they don't have to be pitted against Surrounded, Pull Me Under and Under a Glass Moon as well, more sooner than later they will all get voted anyway.  A selection before the final is due and even the most acclaimed albums should be trimmed, but the finals of survivors look literally to me just like "2 best songs off each album" rather than "bunch of songs that are overall the best". Every album deserve a chance but so does the World Cup qualification - nations from all the world try to qualify, sure, but it's not that every continent get 4 team each, otherwise you'd have many great teams from Europe at home with New Zeleand and Figi from Oceania playing, with due respect to Oceania of course.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 03:37:34 PM »
MirrorMask, are You suggesting to run some qualifiers? That went through my mind also but I dropped it because of large Sryche discography. That survivor would last forever ;)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 04:28:55 PM »
I know I won't be voting during the DTC and FU rounds if they happen.  I'll endure through American Soldier, but that's as far as I'll go.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 05:11:39 PM »
American Soldier has some good tunes that deserve some recognition and it's own survivor. DTC and FU are just universally panned and clearly shouldn't have any songs in the finals. We don't need to complicate things with qualifiers, I say just regular survivor but just forget about those two albums and move right from American Soldier to the Todd albums. It just seems like including those two albums will just be a waste of three weeks. But if other people want them including just for completion sake, I have no problem with that too.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 11:43:54 PM »
Alright, I decided that we'll drop Frequency and Chaos, just skip those two and go from American Soldier straight to QR2013. Also, 3 best songs (not 2) from each album will go into the finals, 4rd best into consolation. I've changed that in the main post. I think that's a good and wise decision ;) Thanks Guys for sharing Your opinion.  :tup

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 01:07:07 AM »
MirrorMask, are You suggesting to run some qualifiers? That went through my mind also but I dropped it because of large Sryche discography. That survivor would last forever ;)

My idea, and as I said it's not specific for Queensryche but for all survivors in general, is that there should be an album survivors first. The albums who fare better, get more songs in the finals (for example: the winner gets 4 or 5 songs, second and third 3 or 4 songs, and so on). All the other albums still get the ordinary two songs.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 01:21:14 AM »

My idea, and as I said it's not specific for Queensryche but for all survivors in general, is that there should be an album survivors first. The albums who fare better, get more songs in the finals (for example: the winner gets 4 or 5 songs, second and third 3 or 4 songs, and so on). All the other albums still get the ordinary two songs.
Hmmmmmm.... This is a not a bad idea.... I would say that this a very good idea, I would have to reconsider this.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 06:56:46 AM »

That's a fabulous idea.... not just for QR, but all Survivors.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 09:37:32 AM »
Great idea!

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 12:37:15 PM »
Alright, let's do this. Check out the main thread post, I wrote rules out there. I'll post a poll in a few hours ;) Thank You for great advises and ideas!! :metal :metal :metal :metal