Author Topic: Oats Studios by Neill Blomkamp  (Read 1067 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Oats Studios by Neill Blomkamp
« on: July 12, 2017, 03:09:18 PM »
https://oatsstudios.com/

Oats Studios is a new experimental filmmaking “lab”. The Studio is an independent incubator of ideas with the capacity to handle all aspects of production from start to end. Oats Studios works in an open source format with the audience by allowing the fans to interact with the filmmakers and the studio directly, and allowing the fans access to the actual film’s assets to then merge with their own creativity.

Our goal is to make more original and interesting short film content, and eventually full-scale feature films and series from the titles that we create.

If you like sci-fi and horror, you should definitely check them out.

Here's a few of the projects so far:

Rakka
Firebase
Zygote
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Oats Studios by Neill Blomkamp
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 02:47:51 PM »
I just found out about these the other night on Steam, through all things, and watched Rakka.

...how in the hell do the big ass studios not have the talent or money to do the CGI that was in this one lil 25 minute short film!? Those effects were absolutely amazing. Really awesome short that was better executed than soooo many of the big sci/fi films recently. Also Sigourney FTW.

Definitely going to watch the other two tonight after work. Really want this to take off.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 04:17:38 PM »
Yea it's really great stuff. Apparently Neill has contributed alot of his own money into the project to get it started.

I think my favourite is probably Firebase.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 03:24:16 AM »
Just finished Zygote, watched Firebase just before that. Holy fucking shit these are my favorites. All of them. I think I like Zygote the best just because of my love of The Thing as well as horror in general but Firebase was just as freaky at times without the classic horror elements that Zygote has slathered all over it. But they're all fantastic and I cannot get enough. I feel like I'm watching a new version of Black Mirror except instead of social/political commentary with technology, it's science fiction/horror. Truly amazing and I'd love to see a series on these. At first I was thinking they were great for concepts for movies but after watching those back to back, I'd much prefer a series with only slightly longer episodes. That would be so friggin' awesome.

Zygote totally had those Dead Space vibes...but better.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 03:56:36 AM »
Have heard about this, but haven't had the time to check it out yet. I'll try to get to it soon!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 02:31:05 PM »
Tech Demo of Unity Engine:
ADAM

Apparently Oats Studios made the next chapter:
ADAM: The Mirror

I love this stuff, would love to see a full feature film by these guys.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 02:42:10 PM »
The more I think on a full fledged movie from these guys, the more I think they'd be better off doing what they're doing now. Either that or go the route of being totally independent and having Netflix/Hulu help them out and go with a mini-series.

But that was very interesting. Their use of atmosphere is just absolutely perfect.

RIP DTP.