Author Topic: Ex Machina  (Read 2280 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Ex Machina
« on: May 16, 2016, 06:01:33 AM »
Anyone else see this flick? Stumbled upon it last night and decided to give it a go after watching just 20 seconds of the trailer. I thought the movie was very cool, and I like how morbid and twisted it got as the movie went on. I want to watch it again as I'm sure there are a ton of little things that I didn't pick up the first time around. I think this would have made an awesome mini-series. I'd give it an 8.0-8.5/10

The one question I had was how were the robots powered? Was that ever discussed? I don't mean the brain. I'm talking about what actually powers them and gives them the energy to function.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Ex Machina
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 06:02:38 AM »

The one question I had was how were the robots powered?

Love.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 06:10:59 AM »
The one question I had was how were the robots powered? Was that ever discussed? I don't mean the brain. I'm talking about what actually powers them and gives them the energy to function.

Not sure it's really relevant. I have much bigger problems with the design of the robots (ie Ava), although that's about my only issue with the movie. Definitely my favourite of last year. I couldn't wait for each interview session and see it all unfold.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 06:12:51 AM »

Not sure it's really relevant. I have much bigger problems with the design of the robots (ie Ava), although that's about my only issue with the movie. Definitely my favourite of last year. I couldn't wait for each interview session and see it all unfold.

I'm just wondering because Ava's now out wondering around some city somewhere. It'd be kind of comical if she managed to escape only to have her plan foiled because her batteries died.

What was your problem with the design?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 06:19:03 AM »

I'm just wondering because Ava's now out wondering around some city somewhere. It'd be kind of comical if she managed to escape only to have her plan foiled because her batteries died.

The mesh shell made no sense without any kind of muscular support underneath. Whatever magical material it was, it wouldn't deform like that. It looked cool, but it was too implausible for me.
And right, the continuing to not run out of power thing. I remember thinking that after seeing it too. She might be solar powered, or USB or just a plain old power socket. Whatever it is, I'll assume that crossed her mind around the same time she was dressing herself up in skin.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 06:42:06 AM »
I'd rule solar powered out seeing as she was underground her entire life.. unless that was the purpose of that grow room with a tree in it.

As for the muscular support, I figured it was just some kind of rigid, yet flexible, carbon nanotube structure. The shell was the support. That's what the patterning made me think anyway. I was more put off by how the skin could just be pealed off and so easily reapplied to another surface.

Nanotube stuff;

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 06:46:08 AM »
I'd rule solar powered out seeing as she was underground her entire life.. unless that was the purpose of that grow room with a tree in it.

As for the muscular support, I figured it was just some kind of rigid, yet flexible, carbon nanotube structure. The shell was the support. That's what the patterning made me think anyway. I was more put off by how the skin could just be pealed off and so easily reapplied to another surface.

That wouldn't explain how it deforms when a joint pivots. There was nothing underneath to influence it, nothing to support it, it was just to look techy and cool (which it did).
Given that this guy created an artificial intelligence, I don't consider it too far fetched that she had an efficient solar converter that allowed her to recharge from artificial lighting with her low level of activity. I don't consider that a likely option though, but it's one of many possibilities. I also didn't notice a charging port on her. Unless it's....... never mind. :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 06:58:24 AM »

That wouldn't explain how it deforms when a joint pivots. There was nothing underneath to influence it, nothing to support it, it was just to look techy and cool (which it did).
Given that this guy created an artificial intelligence, I don't consider it too far fetched that she had an efficient solar converter that allowed her to recharge from artificial lighting with her low level of activity. I don't consider that a likely option though, but it's one of many possibilities. I also didn't notice a charging port on her. Unless it's....... never mind. :lol

Just stumbled across this. Good read if you're bored.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/5/8/8572317/ex-machina-movie-visual-effects-interview-robot-ava

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 07:32:08 AM »
I recall reading that article just after watching the movie myself. Good read. :tup

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 08:39:41 AM »
The billionaire tech guy was creepy as fuck. I loved the movie!

This thread, not so much.  :)
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 09:57:42 AM »
The movie was really good and probably in my top3 for 2015.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 10:03:29 AM »
I thought this movie was much more interesting than it was good. Not saying it wasn't good though, it was, just that it didn't crack my top 10 of last year.

I loved how unsettling the whole situation was. Just from the first conversations with the guy I just felt like something terrible could happen at any moment.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 12:24:08 PM »
Didn't know anything about this movie before I saw it so it was a nice surprise. Really liked it!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 12:27:12 PM »
I thought for sure the blonde kid was going to be a robot.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 02:05:07 PM »
In my top 3 of 2015. Sure there may be some flaws, but brilliantly written.  The characters engage you and at points make you feel uncomfortable. I have watched it several times and try to watch it from each characters perspective. Kinda like put you in their shoes and how would you react. Overall a great movie.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 02:27:31 PM by The Trooper »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 02:21:39 PM »
Written and Directed by Alex Garland who wrote The Beach and 28 Days Later and Sunshine.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 07:29:29 PM »
The billionaire tech guy was creepy as fuck. I loved the movie!

This thread, not so much.  :)

Exactlys.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 07:57:59 PM »
Like I said before and agree. It/he made you feel uncomfortable. Movies that can do that are rare.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 12:47:34 PM »

The mesh shell made no sense without any kind of muscular support underneath. Whatever magical material it was, it wouldn't deform like that. It looked cool, but it was too implausible for me.
And right, the continuing to not run out of power thing. I remember thinking that after seeing it too. She might be solar powered, or USB or just a plain old power socket. Whatever it is, I'll assume that crossed her mind around the same time she was dressing herself up in skin.

Just happened to come across this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/4jw950/what_film_should_never_get_a_sequel/d3a8tl3

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 12:12:51 PM »
Instead of starting a new thread we could talk about Alex Garlands next movie Annihilation here.

Annihilation (2018) - Teaser Trailer

Looks interesting, will definitely check it out since I loved Ex Machina.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 12:56:05 PM »
This is the first I've heard/seen of this film. Not sure if interested, but it looks promising.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 12:58:36 PM »
Instead of starting a new thread we could talk about Alex Garlands next movie Annihilation here.

Annihilation (2018) - Teaser Trailer

Looks interesting, will definitely check it out since I loved Ex Machina.

Ill definitely be checking that out. Looks interesting
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 12:59:17 PM »
Natalie Portman, Sci-Fi, the guy from Ex-machina? I'm sold
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 04:03:26 PM »
This looks tight, and I loved Ex machina, so I am totally down.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2017, 04:52:09 PM »
Whoooaaa yep, in.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.