Author Topic: Dominici auctioning the first drawing of DT's logo  (Read 5389 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Dominici auctioning the first drawing of DT's logo
« on: July 11, 2017, 08:12:34 PM »
Looks like Charlie is parting with a rather intriguing item.

Link: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154944053165186&id=634005185&fs=1
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:07:30 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online mikeyd23

Re: Dominici auctioning the first drawing of DT's logo
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 06:32:13 AM »
Wow, does Charlie need some dough?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 06:43:56 AM »

One of his replies would indicate yes......
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 06:48:26 AM »

One of his replies would indicate yes......

Oh? I didn't read comments.

Offline LPMX

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 06:53:14 AM »
What's the story behind MP's comment Under Charlie's post saying the logo isn't the "correct" one since he left the band? (Not sure why MP would feel the need to bring that up the way he did but I guess that's just the way it is with MP these days.)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 07:05:42 AM »
I've read his comments, basically it's what he says: the logo, surely in details, changed, either out of choice, or just because no one noticed that whoever was evidently put in charge of the merchandise had a "different" logo drawn up.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 07:40:05 AM »
Seems like the bid is at $2,000.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 07:52:00 AM »
What's the story behind MP's comment Under Charlie's post saying the logo isn't the "correct" one since he left the band? (Not sure why MP would feel the need to bring that up the way he did but I guess that's just the way it is with MP these days.)

Yea I dont understand this

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 08:37:00 AM »

I don't blame MP one iota for bringing it up. Here is the thing about MP. The guy is an uber fanboy of music and bands he loves, and as anal as he is regarding his music and film collection, he was just as anal about all the small details regarding Dream Theater. If MP was in charge of all the merch, and art direction and all of that, then it is obvious he spent time making sure that the logo and all the stuff related to the band were EXACTLY how they should be -- and he was proud of that attention to detail. And he should be.

Him bringing up that the DT symbol is now incorrect just further shows how proud he is of the work he did, and how disappointed that some of the stuff he made sure was perfect is not being paid attention to by the band.

As a fan, I really appreciate the fact MP cared enough to do all that. The symbol, the art in general, the Ytsejam releases, the holiday shows, the Christmas CDs, the rotating setlists -- all that stuff made Dream Theater one of the premier "fan friendly" bands in the world. Nowadays, Dream Theater is much more sterile when it comes to all of that, which takes away some of the charm, and passion.

Now that MP brought that up about the symbol, I can't unsee it...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 08:40:35 AM »
This is gonna be another nugget like the In the Name of God one that no one figured out until Mike pointed to it  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 12:37:04 PM »
I noticed the difference day one. To suggest it wasn't intentional is rather insulting.

"Either they changed it (DUH) or they're too dumb to realize it's different."

So they never dealt with merchandise so that must mean they never looked at any of the fucking shirts or CDs or anything? "Mike's got it so we don't give a fuck!"

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 12:55:06 PM »
The logos do appear to be different.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 01:24:28 PM »
I must admit, I actually like the new one better. It has a sense of symmetry (harmony?) that the original logo lacks.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 01:31:40 PM »
I must admit, I actually like the new one better. It has a sense of symmetry (harmony?) that the original logo lacks.

I like the original because it wasn't those things  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 01:31:49 PM »
I still strongly dislike the new logo. It lacks character imo.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 01:35:24 PM »
I think what bugs me the most about the original logo is the ellipse. It's so clearly constructed from 4 separate pieces, and I feel the transition between the parts looks unnatural. The new logo is a proper ellipse, I like that.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 01:36:03 PM »
As a fan, I really appreciate the fact MP cared enough to do all that. The symbol, the art in general, the Ytsejam releases, the holiday shows, the Christmas CDs, the rotating setlists -- all that stuff made Dream Theater one of the premier "fan friendly" bands in the world. Nowadays, Dream Theater is much more sterile when it comes to all of that, which takes away some of the charm, and passion.

Agree 100%, bro.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 04:13:19 PM »
So they never dealt with merchandise so that must mean they never looked at any of the fucking shirts or CDs or anything? "Mike's got it so we don't give a fuck!"
Before he left, pretty much, yeah. MP did take care of all that stuff in the past. Take it from someone who worked with him on numerous things (tourbooks, T-shirts, posters, CD/DVD packaging, etc.) - the guy is *super* detail oriented. And if my testimony isn't enough, feel free to ask BobS who has worked with him on numerous video releases (both DT and others) or Blob.

Whoever is now responsible for the T-shirts probably doesn't take half the time MP did to make sure even those little things were correct - they certainly didn't for the Dramatic tour. I've got a T-shirt from the ADToE tour that says they played Morristown, N instead of Morristown, NJ. I've got another ADToE tour shirt where the serifs on the center stroke of the majesty symbol are cut off. Those might seem like a nit-picks, but honestly, those mistakes would've never happened with MP at the helm. More recently, let's also not forget about the initial printing of the tourbook for the Astonishing tour - can't remember exactly what the problem was, but at the very least I think they screwed up JL's name in the credits and maybe other things.

I like the original because it wasn't those things  :lol
Amen Chino!

I think what bugs me the most about the original logo is the ellipse. It's so clearly constructed from 4 separate pieces, and I feel the transition between the parts looks unnatural. The new logo is a proper ellipse, I like that.
That's actually what I hate most about it. I could live with the changes if it wasn't for the ellipse which looks very strange.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 08:10:36 PM »
I recall the original run of t-shirts for the ADTOE had other mistakes too - it lists a city not on the tour, but I'd have to check my files for which one.   

Offline Volante99

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 12:20:13 AM »
"Not my problem anymore... but let me just drop this totally-not-bitter humble brag low blow"

I love and miss Mike Portnoy but the guy just can't help himself.
 :facepalm:

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 02:31:20 AM »
Before he left, pretty much, yeah. MP did take care of all that stuff in the past. Take it from someone who worked with him on numerous things (tourbooks, T-shirts, posters, CD/DVD packaging, etc.) - the guy is *super* detail oriented. And if my testimony isn't enough, feel free to ask BobS who has worked with him on numerous video releases (both DT and others) or Blob.

This I have no problem to believe... and I think it's the only way to approach this kind of stuff. It's annoying to find a typo in the booklet or stuff like that... I wonder if Portnoy had a 100% typos free tenure during his run, I wouldn't be surprised of that  :D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 02:49:03 AM »
I haven't noticed the difference between the two logos until now, I have to admit. I like the older one better, but it's not that big of a deal.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 06:59:10 AM »
For those who didn't read the comments (like me) this is what MP posted:
FYI since I’ve left the band, the symbol is no longer correct (or at least “the Original”) Not sure if they intentionally changed it or if they just don’t realize it as they never dealt with the artwork and merchandise before… Well not my problem anymore…

Is that really MP's account? If so, gheez.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2017, 07:31:17 AM »
In my opinion, it was intentional from DT. If not for to separate the two DT eras, just for modernize the Majesty symbol. I can't believe that DT didn't notice it because that new symbol appears for the first time as the main (and big!) element on the cover on an album self-titled and that had the intention to define the core sound of DT at that time.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 07:36:34 AM »
In my opinion, it was intentional from DT. If not for to separate the two DT eras, just for modernize the Majesty symbol. I can't believe that DT didn't notice it because that new symbol appears for the first time as the main (and big!) element on the cover on an album self-titled and that had the intention to define the core sound of DT at that time.
Didn't we have big discussion about this when we got the artwork for ST album?  I remember seeing a picture of the two versions overlaid to show the difference.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2017, 07:44:21 AM »
I guess so, but I don't remember exactly what was discussed.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 09:10:14 AM »

Edit: I was testing to see if I could post. I can't post in the Tears for Fears thread. I get server error configuration messages.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 09:11:14 AM »
Didn't we have big discussion about this when we got the artwork for ST album?  I remember seeing a picture of the two versions overlaid to show the difference.

I thought so.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 10:24:48 AM »

Yes. Here's the whole thing if you want to take a stroll down memory lane: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=37913.280

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2017, 11:43:31 AM »

Yes. Here's the whole thing if you want to take a stroll down memory lane: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=37913.280

As do I.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2017, 12:01:22 PM »

Check out the Shattered Fortress topic under General Music, it is being discussed there. Not saying you can't here but just in case you wanted to read more about it. :)

Offline gm5k

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2017, 12:58:25 PM »
"Not my problem anymore... but let me just drop this totally-not-bitter humble brag low blow"

I love and miss Mike Portnoy but the guy just can't help himself.
 :facepalm:

OF COURSE dude finds a way to sneak in a jab he can moonwalk himself out of if he needed to.

He's consistent.  I'll give him that.  It's honestly kind of hilarious at this point. 

Agreed on the "love and miss" thing, though...all things considered. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2017, 08:13:54 AM »
Looks like Charlie is parting with a rather intriguing item.

Link: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154944053165186&id=634005185&fs=1

I was under the impression he did this already when he sold a bunch around the time of his solo albums. Maybe that was the sketch he sold before?

The old logo has always been my favorite. It's more of a branding than the new one.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2017, 12:32:49 PM »
Speaking of Charlie, does anybody know what ever happened to Dominici (his band)? I was listening to O3 pt. 3 yesterday, since I haven't listened to in years, and started wondering what happened to them. They released 2 great albums, parts 2 and 3 (I haven't even listened to the 1st O3), had a few shows opening for DT in 2007, and then completely disappeared. I kinda remember Charlie saying something about the label not being too supportive or something like that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2017, 01:38:06 PM »
I believe he got next to no money from the label. The third album I think was entirely self funded. It's too bad because I really liked Dominici and would have loved to have seen them live.

He even moved to Hungary with his then wife (her home) to be closer to his band who I think was in Italy.