Author Topic: Prime Day  (Read 2294 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Prime Day
« on: July 11, 2017, 07:22:13 AM »
Discuss all things Prime Day here.

Should I get a Roomba?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Prime Day
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 07:42:28 AM »
Should I get a Roomba?

If you have a lot of smooth flooring I'd think it'd be worth it. don't you have a couple kitty's and Norman? Could help maintain any shed fur/hair?

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the $30 Fire 7 Tablets. The kiddos have some old junky ones that aren't working so well...they're $20 off right now....so only $30.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 07:56:51 AM »
Should I get a Roomba?

If you have a lot of smooth flooring I'd think it'd be worth it. don't you have a couple kitty's and Norman? Could help maintain any shed fur/hair?

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the $30 Fire 7 Tablets. The kiddos have some old junky ones that aren't working so well...they're $20 off right now....so only $30.

Yeah, we have the cat and the dog. Our entire house is hardwood with the exception of the kitchen (tile). I'd want it for fur management. Can they figure out a floor plan? Like if I set it's dock up in the office, will it eventually map out the rest of the house on its own?

I bought one of those tablets a while back. It's a pretty lousy tablet when compared to the competition, but for $50 it's a good value.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 08:02:12 AM »

I bought one of those tablets a while back. It's a pretty lousy tablet when compared to the competition, but for $50 it's a good value.

Do you think it'd be good for running a couple apps for kids? Silly simple games and what not, nothing extravagant.

As for the roomba....I'm not sure how that works. i don' t know if it just senses or bumps into something then changes direction or if it's 'smarter' than that and knows/learns/is programmed for your floorplan?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 08:10:54 AM »

Do you think it'd be good for running a couple apps for kids? Silly simple games and what not, nothing extravagant.

Oh yeah. Definitely. My complaints are things like screen resolution, headphone jack location, shitty default browser, etc...

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 08:24:30 AM »

Oh yeah. Definitely. My complaints are things like screen resolution, headphone jack location, shitty default browser, etc...
:tup

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 09:47:52 AM »
Snagged Rick & Morty season 2 for 11 bucks, I think I put one or two more upcoming deals in my Watched list, but I forget what they were already :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 10:15:30 AM »
Was looking at the list, but wasn't really enticed by much. The Fire tablets I won't buy, it's Amazon's stupid side market, you can't install regular Android apps on it.

Not a Prime deal, but Google has a nice deal right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-Home-Chromecast-Video-2nd-Gen-1080p-Bundle-for-99-99-/222571438996

Google Home and Chromecast for $99.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 01:53:21 PM »
I got a copy of the 10th Anniversary Edition of Notre Dame.  It's a board game based on the cathedral in France, not the school that has a shittacular football team in Indiana.  I got some other non-prime stuff too just to use my full credit.

BTW, if you are a prime member, don't ever pay for your stuff with your debit or credit card.  Reload your own gift balance from your checking account and get an extra 2%, plus they may still have the signup bonus of an additional 5% on your first reload.  I made my first reload for $500 and got $35 free dollars.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 01:56:58 PM »
That's pretty cool, I opted for the credit card when I finally got prime earlier this year with 5% back.  However, I haven't gone on amazon today and am trying to avoid it.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 10:55:18 PM »
Prime day kinda sucked dick this year for me (and in general it seems). Last year I bought a room full of stuff for a hundred or so bucks.

This year I got a wallet, a power strip...and a combo bag of popcorn.

Granted, I already did my splurge till Christmas with Steam and building yet another PC with Ryzen...but still.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 05:17:16 AM »
Discuss all things Prime Day here.

Should I get a Roomba?

I plan on getting one for my house soon. It could clean the downstairs hardwoods while I work, I don't expect it to do a great job but any help picking up my dogs fur would be appreciated.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 05:24:06 AM »
I convinced my mother to order the 8" Amazon Fire tablet. Thirty dollars off is too good a deal to pass up.

I almost caved and bought that 50" 4K television for $500 but I just got a new tv. I wish I had waited. :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 07:16:39 AM »
Should I get a Roomba?

This recommendation led me to look at the kids tablets.  I've been wanting to get my 2 year old daughter something that can keep her busy while we're in a restaurant, since she's at that stage where she wants to throw things on the floor (like plates and cups of milk) when she's impatient. 

I had $70 in gift cards and credits, and found a kids tablet on sale for $69.99.  It only cost me $3.14 of my own money, plus the $10.99 monthly fee to sign up for Prime.  Not a bad deal.   :tup

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 04:04:26 PM »
I wanted to get an instapot real bad, but I couldn't justify the $90 with car insurance due in a month.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 07:48:48 AM »
I ended up buying a highly rated $150 robot vacuum. Not expecting miracles, with three cats and a downstairs that is all laminate or tile it should do a good job picking up litter, food crumbs, and fur. My girlfriend is pretty insane when it comes to vacuuming, so if this cuts down on her doing it every other week instead of three times a week it'll be money more than well spent.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 09:13:46 AM »
I grabbed the Echo for half price $89. Had the dot already but I couldn't pass on that price for the full size. Just for kicks I got the  unlimited music for 4 months at .99 cents.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 10:59:53 AM »
I convinced my mother to order the 8" Amazon Fire tablet. Thirty dollars off is too good a deal to pass up.

I bought one as well. The discount alone prompted me to. My kiddos have a couple tablets that are getting older...so, we will see how this one fits in. I may just keep it for myself.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 06:15:51 PM »

I bought one as well. The discount alone prompted me to. My kiddos have a couple tablets that are getting older...so, we will see how this one fits in. I may just keep it for myself.

If you ever want to find decently priced tablets, Newegg has some excellent deals on refurbished ones. I know being refurbished puts some people off, but Newegg stands behind their products. I bought a 10" Asus tablet for $90 last year. I already rooted it and put whatever I want on it. :lol