Poll

Universal Basic Income:

Good Idea
16 (72.7%)
Bad Idea
6 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Universal Basic Income  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Universal Basic Income
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2017, 10:52:11 AM »
If the numbers worked out, I wouldn't have a problem either, but the numbers is where I am confused as I have no idea how you make the numbers work for UBI in general.

A big part of making the numbers work has to be that it replaces many existing programs,  like lordxizor mentioned.

edit: beat me to it

Can you actually say the numbers erased from those programs equal the number needed for UBI?  Sounds nice on paper, maybe it does work, but I am curious if the numbers do in fact work.  Not trying to knock lord's idea or UBI in general, just trying to understand the actual funding of such an idea.  All those social programs are funded by taxes, what happens when income taxes dry up?

Do the math:   323 million people in the U.S.   At $1000 a month, you're looking at $3.87 TRILLION a year.  That's almost a quarter of our ENTIRE economy, GIVEN to people with no strings attached, on a yearly basis.   That's ballpark what the IRS collects in a given year - total - from income tax.   

My plan would not include anyone less that 18 years old, so that eliminates a lot of people and a lot of the cost you listed. To me the whole purpose of this is to prepare for the days when there are not enough jobs for people who want them, which is coming very soon with AI becoming smarter by the day. What do we do with all those people who literally will not be able to find work?

There ARE jobs available that can't be accomplished by AI.   It's why I came back on you about the "don't want to work".   Every time I walk into Wal-Mart there is a huge "HELP WANTED!" placard in the entry way.    There's no guarantee that we all get to pursue our own personal deep passion and be paid for it.   It's a wonderful thing for those that can (or create an industry to do it) but that's live.  We're not all born with huge cocks and gorgeous faces and talents that are worth millions.    There is no government in the world that can give that away (nor should there be). 

Don't quote me, but I think the people "of voting age" number about 75% of what we're talking about, so you're looking at $2.75 TRILLION.   

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: Universal Basic Income
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2017, 09:51:06 AM »
Hopefully you guys are right and there continue to be lots of jobs, but I'm not as optimistic as you are. Only time will tell.

For the record, 74.3% of the population is 18+, so your estimate is very close!