Author Topic: 'Murca  (Read 674 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
'Murca
« on: July 05, 2017, 02:08:12 PM »
From Gin and Tacos:

Don't let anyone tell you what it means to be an American.Don't let whoever can shout the loudest define who is and is not a Real American. Ronald Reagan and Audie Murphy were Americans. So were Sandra Bland and Mother Jones and Fred Hampton and Eugene Debs and Paul Robeson.

Don't let other people use their total ignorance of history to invent an America that never was and then insist that we must return to it. Don't let anyone rewrite American history as an unbroken tableau of pure Rugged Individualism devoid of collective action, community, public goods, and the role of central government. Don't support the fallacy that America has buried all of its problems in the past; that, OK, maybe a few people used to be racist but now we elected a black president so racism is over; that the drum beat of war hawks may have led us astray a few times, but this time is different; that we used to discriminate against women but stopped, and we used to treat poor people badly but now we don't, and that unfettered Robber Baron capitalism brought us to ruin once but this time just you watch and see the magic.

Don't be swayed by symbolism and empty emotional appeals. Think about what being an American means. Don't forget to remember all that we do have without forgetting all of the ways in which we can do better.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
Re: 'Murca
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 02:17:20 PM »
Um...Yay, Facebook politics?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 02:21:12 PM »
 :tup

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 04:15:25 PM »
The hell is Gin and Tacos besides a typical Cozmo meal?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 06:08:24 PM »
It's that, but it's also a Facebook page that apparently makes Republicans scratch their heads or something.

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 06:17:18 PM »
You don't skip that shit?  Dude, that's what makes Facebook great!  I scroll right by that!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 07:17:47 AM »
It's that, but it's also a Facebook page that apparently makes Republicans scratch their heads or something.

::) ::)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 10:56:26 AM »
Because after all, what is political debate other than trying like hell to make the other side look like a bunch of boobs.   

(And the irony of a leftish screed about the rewriting of history is enough to suck the oxygen from my breathing space; "Hamilton" anyone?)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 11:03:36 AM »
Because after all, what is political debate other than trying like hell to make the other side look like a bunch of boobs.   

Relevant as a fellow CT resident.

http://www.courant.com/breaking-news/hc-west-hartford-trump-morely-school-steven-marks-20170705-story.html

Marks told police on June 19 he vandalized the property "out of 'anger towards liberals and they are breaking major laws everyday and being disrespectful towards our government,'" according to the warrant for his arrest. He told police it was his hope that the vandalism would appear to have been done by the "Left."

----

Some of the writings said "Kill Trump," "Left is the best," "Bernie Sanders 2020" and "Death to Trump" and were written on the playground welcome sign, a tan piece of of playground equipment, a yellow concrete barrier pole, a playground bench and on a "Little Free Library" located on the playground.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 02:47:11 PM »
@ the detractors

Wah.

Also, beer.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 05:44:14 AM »

(And the irony of a leftish screed about the rewriting of history is enough to suck the oxygen from my breathing space; "Hamilton" anyone?)

You don't like Hamilton?  We even disagree on that!  At this point if you'd tell me the sky was blue I'd have to check  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 07:17:51 AM »

You don't like Hamilton?  We even disagree on that!  At this point if you'd tell me the sky was blue I'd have to check  :lol

I never said I didn't like it.   It IS a rewrite of history, though.  And a preachy, sanctimonious one at that.   

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 07:36:57 AM »

I never said I didn't like it.   It IS a rewrite of history, though.  And a preachy, sanctimonious one at that.

Ever see The Book of Mormon?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 07:39:36 AM »

I have not.  I'm not the hugest Stone/Parker fan.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 07:47:03 AM »

Understandable. It's gold though.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 07:50:43 AM »

It is musical, a  work of narrative fiction yes. What you perceive as preachy or sanctimonious does not read to me like that at all but you probably already knew that  ;)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 09:15:22 AM »
I listened to Hamilton the first time a few weeks ago.  It's not my music, but it wasn't bad at all.  I respect it and I don't see why it needs to be historically accurate either as it's entertainment not a history lesson. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 09:22:24 AM »

Posting this made me think to check the touring schedule. It'll be in New Haven the last week of September. I think it would surprise you. I grabbed some tickets.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 09:24:37 AM »
I listened to Hamilton the first time a few weeks ago.  It's not my music, but it wasn't bad at all.  I respect it and I don't see why it needs to be historically accurate either as it's entertainment not a history lesson.

The history aspect is cool but what made me love in love with it is the music and emotional impact of it.  Especially the character of Eliza Hamilton, she breaks my heart every time

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 10:52:56 AM »

It is musical, a  work of narrative fiction yes. What you perceive as preachy or sanctimonious does not read to me like that at all but you probably already knew that  ;)

Well, when one is preaching to the choir, the choir rarely feels preached to.   :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 10:54:41 AM »

Posting this made me think to check the touring schedule. It'll be in New Haven the last week of September. I think it would surprise you. I grabbed some tickets.

I'd look into that.  I'm game for anything (even Hamilton) and I like musicals (for the most part).

Speaking of musicals, just saw the live action "Beauty and the Beast".   Unbelievable.  I was seriously doubting Emma Watson, but she delivered.  Other than the human Beast looking a little too much like Scott Stapp, it was amazing. 

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 11:31:43 AM »
I disagree. I've steadfastly refused to see Spamalot after learning that the Arthurian legend predates Hormel Foods by over 1400 years.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2017, 12:00:51 PM »
I disagree. I've steadfastly refused to see Spamalot after learning that the Arthurian legend predates Hormel Foods by over 1400 years.

:lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 12:31:43 PM »

I'd look into that.  I'm game for anything (even Hamilton) and I like musicals (for the most part).

Speaking of musicals, just saw the live action "Beauty and the Beast".   Unbelievable.  I was seriously doubting Emma Watson, but she delivered.  Other than the human Beast looking a little too much like Scott Stapp, it was amazing.

Nice. I heard that show was great. That movie has a killer soundtrack. If you do find yourself buying tickets to TBoM, Victoria and I will be going on 9/29/17. We could grab pizza and beer beforehand.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 01:05:51 PM »

Nice. I heard that show was great. That movie has a killer soundtrack. If you do find yourself buying tickets to TBoM, Victoria and I will be going on 9/29/17. We could grab pizza and beer beforehand.

Let me speak to the wife and look at the date.   I'd be in for that.