Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 93583 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #175 on: November 04, 2017, 08:08:34 PM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #176 on: November 05, 2017, 06:11:09 PM »
Excited to see that the Senators finally acquired Duchene. They pulled him off ice mid game :lol

Gonna miss Turris and Hammond (to a degree), though.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #177 on: November 05, 2017, 06:15:04 PM »
Excited to see that the Senators finally acquired Duchene. They pulled him off ice mid game :lol

Gonna miss Turris and Hammond (to a degree), though.

Oh shoot. I didn't hear that. I love Turris. He's a Bruins killer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #178 on: November 05, 2017, 06:20:59 PM »
Interesting 3-Way Trade

To Ottawa
Matt Duchene

To Nashville
Kyle Turris

To Colorado
Samuel Girard
Vlad Kamenev

Shane Bowers
Andrew Hammond

2nd Round pick in 2018
1st and 3rd round picks from Ottawa
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #179 on: November 07, 2017, 11:14:42 PM »
Man, today's Kings/Ducks went the way I honestly did not expect for their first meeting of the regular season.  That game was nasty as f.  Kings took a five minute major from what it looked like a regular "finishing the check on a player just after the player passed the puck," but then the guy got nailed hard and looked to be out of the game which caused the penalty.  Then the Kings were down 2-0, then Kopitar managed to score one after all hope looked lost in the first. 

Then the second period came, and the LA Kings insider, Jon Rosen, said it best on Twitter, "I feel we all aged 15 years during that second period."  Corey Perry continues to be a dickhead and getting in Quick's area a little too much for comfort and Quick got into his face, both guys and Forbort (a Kings' defensemen) got a penalty in that mess.  Then it became 3-1 and then Adrian Kempe manage to keep that light shining at the last minute of the second scoring a goal.

And then the third......  It was nice when Dustin Brown scored and the Kings finally tied it up capitalizing on a Ducks' too many on ice penalty.  I felt like, "Oh thank goodness.  Hopefully, we can go back to square one and hope for a clean hockey game to finish it off."  That did not happen.  Kings scored twice and both goals were disallowed.  One because of an offside and the other because the goalie's mask fell off after taking a shot to the mask before the puck went in the net and then he was out and Ryan Miller (I didn't even know he was with the Ducks now) was in.

Thankfully, Kings got found a great position on a two on one in OT and got it done.  I feel like this game was the best of times for the Kings and the worst of times where it felt like they got the bad end of the ref calls for the most part of the game.  I need to catch my breath now.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #180 on: November 08, 2017, 04:32:26 AM »
Awesome to hear that rivalries heating up this early in the season, and delivering awesome hockey.   :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: November 12, 2017, 06:13:23 AM »
Nice home/home victories by the Leafs... albeit over a beat up Bruins squad.  3-game win streak now with Auston Matthews nursing an injury, the team keeping the GAA to 2 or less, and now 5 days rest for the team.   :coolio
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #182 on: November 12, 2017, 07:24:12 AM »
Brutal game. Leafs just throw it at the net and it goes in. the Bruins worked too hard even for what little they got.

I'm a Mitch Marner guy, even before he schooled Rask last night. That was a laser. What is he, the first 14 y/o to score a goal in an NHL game?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #183 on: November 12, 2017, 07:29:17 AM »
Rask is paid to be elite but has not lived up to his contract at all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #184 on: November 12, 2017, 08:04:44 AM »
Not even close. And not that he's bad either. But Chiarelli was handing out huge contracts like candy. Krejhi? C'mon.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: November 12, 2017, 08:11:48 AM »
1st goal was a bad giveaway and laser by MM.  2nd, well executed power play goal.  3rd... puck came in bouncing like it was in a pinball machine - hard to fault Rask there.  Mcelhinney robbed the B's on more than a couple of occasions.  The loss certainly wasn't for lack of offensive effort.  Just one of those games.  I'd have been more frustrated with Fridays loss.  The Bs snatched defeat right from the jaws of victory.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #186 on: November 12, 2017, 08:13:15 AM »
Elite goalies make unbelievable one or 2 saves that keep you in the game. Rask does not.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #187 on: November 12, 2017, 09:56:05 AM »
Elite goalies make unbelievable one or 2 saves that keep you in the game. Rask does not.

Exactly. He is a great goalie and I would certainly rank him in the top half of the league, but he will never be like Price and Talbot or Lundqvist and Quick in their prime.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: November 12, 2017, 11:34:42 AM »

Exactly. He is a great goalie and I would certainly rank him in the top half of the league, but he will never be like Price and Talbot or Lundqvist and Quick in their prime.

Not the best examples (other than Quick) to use given the start of this year.   :lol  Henrik seems to have come around, but man was he bad in October. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #189 on: November 12, 2017, 12:11:35 PM »

Not the best examples (other than Quick) to use given the start of this year.   :lol  Henrik seems to have come around, but man was he bad in October.

Well that’s why I said in their prime lol. Six years ago there was no goalie better than Hank.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2017, 12:45:47 PM »

Thus far this young season this is what the Blues goalies have been doing, especially Jake Allen. He makes at least three saves a game that are highlight reel....that keeps the momentum from shifting and often time that allows the Blues to get it together.

I don't know how sustainable this will be....game against the Islanders the other night was an example of the entire team just being flat all at once which I guess is inevitable, but back to your post....it's nice to have a goalie(s) that can come up with some momentum saving or changing saves when you need it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2017, 01:12:31 PM »

I don't know how sustainable this will be....game against the Islanders the other night was an example of the entire team just being flat all at once which I guess is inevitable

Yeo said after the game that it was 3rd game in a row that they came out flat at the start, and then make a comment about how that happens when you start feeling too good about yourselves. I would expect their new few practices to be ass-kickers. :lol :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: November 12, 2017, 02:16:35 PM »

I don't know how sustainable this will be....game against the Islanders the other night was an example of the entire team just being flat all at once which I guess is inevitable

Yeo said after the game that it was 3rd game in a row that they came out flat at the start, and then make a comment about how that happens when you start feeling too good about yourselves. I would expect their new few practices to be ass-kickers. :lol :lol

Yeah, I read that also and I agree. They'll probably be hating practices for the next couple weeks.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #193 on: November 18, 2017, 02:44:19 PM »
The oilers are an absolute dumpster fire this year. Sigh.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: November 18, 2017, 09:08:59 PM »

Why are they such a train wreck?  Lack of depth after McD and Draisaitl??

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: November 18, 2017, 10:50:45 PM »
I still can’t beleive the Blues got Schenn for Lehtera and a couple picks. I’d have just given Lehtera away for free. Schenn has found himself quite a good spot and is playing on the top 5 on 5 line in the league. Oh, and he has a 7 game point streak going as well(5 g 10 a) in that span
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:58:49 PM by gmillerdrake »

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #196 on: November 19, 2017, 08:06:23 AM »

Why are they such a train wreck?  Lack of depth after McD and Draisaitl??
That's definitely part of the problem. Nuge is having a good season, but Lucic and Maroon are all but useless. No Sekera hurts on the back end, and Klefbom is having a down offensive year. And to top it all off, Talbot is playing like he did in his first season in Edmonton (i.e terrible). It's going to be a long season,  likely ending in no playoffs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #197 on: November 19, 2017, 09:00:37 AM »
I still can’t beleive the Blues got Schenn for Lehtera and a couple picks. I’d have just given Lehtera away for free. Schenn has found himself quite a good spot and is playing on the top 5 on 5 line in the league. Oh, and he has a 7 game point streak going as well(5 g 10 a) in that span

Highway robbery is what that trade ended up being.  :tup :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: November 19, 2017, 10:00:42 AM »

Highway robbery is what that trade ended up being.  :tup :tup

Not accustomed to trades working out like that for the Blues. The player we trade usually goes on to play insanely good and the player we get usually has a career ending injury or forgets how to ice skate.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: November 26, 2017, 08:33:04 AM »
Bittersweet loss for the Leafs.  There was a 13-year old kid at the game whose favorite player is Ovie.  He got to hang with the team pre-game, on the bench for the warmups, read the starting lineup for them in the dressing room, then watch Ovie play lights out a fireoff a hattie.  Ovie even said in the post-game interview that he (pulled a Babe) told the kid he'd score for him tonight.

Been a great Hockey Fights Cancer week.  Highlight had to be Brian Boyle's goal, then the crowd chanting his name (can't find video of it anywhere, but I caught that highlight).  Awesome.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #200 on: December 24, 2017, 01:14:32 PM »
Picture taken from David Backes' Twitter. Just announcing that I just had his baby. Not sure who that crazy woman is holding him. The baby's last name is actually going to be TAC-kes!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #201 on: December 25, 2017, 09:38:24 PM »
So I'm reading the Olympic tropes on TVTropes.org and that got me thinking about the upcoming Winter Olympics which naturally leads to thinking about the idea of no NHL players will be playing in the Olympic games.  I understand that there were a lot of thinking and pros and cons that goes into the decision for Bettman and the team owners to make the decision to not send the NHL players in the Olympic hockey tournament.  I know that most people that follow hockey on any level would say that "Bettman is an idiot," regarding the decision (well, they always say that about him), but what about you guys?

For me, I'm a bit bummed to not see NHL players in the Olympics since that's what I'm always pumped for when it comes to the Winter Olympic games (I'm always more pumped for the Winter Olympic games in general over the summer games) and to see which hockey superpower country reigns supreme in those games (highly likely that it will be Canada).  On the other hand, I can see why Bettman and the league owners do not want to send their players, since the NHL does not profit from it directly and have to stop their season for a few weeks and in terms of insurance coverage for their players and the chaos that goes if one of their key players get injured during the Olympics.

So anyway, I just want to open that up for discussion.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: December 26, 2017, 04:49:36 AM »
I'm bummed about it too... first time since what, '98 that we don't get NHL players at the Olympics?  I completely understand why (what you mentioned, and also because of it being in Korea - not a big gateway market for the NHL, plus time-zone differences limit viewing and exposure), but it is a bummer.  Unfortunately, we don't have the next World Cup until 2020, so it'll be a long time before we see best-on-best again. 

Also gotta say that I'm due for a nice helping of crow soon... Vegas looks legit as fuck.  And that is shocking as fuck.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #203 on: December 26, 2017, 06:51:48 AM »
Vegas!!! :metal

Personally, I have no interest in the NHLers ever playing in the Olympics. Leave it to the kids. I actually find that more interesting. I hate shutting down the league for it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: December 26, 2017, 07:31:09 AM »
Well, we've got lots of other tourney's to showcase kids/amateurs - World Jr's start today.  Also the Spengler Cup, Under-17, World Championships...  Personally, I'll take best-on-best anytime I can get it.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #205 on: December 26, 2017, 01:53:45 PM »
Without a doubt, I'm disappointed the Olympic tournament will be missing NHLers. As mentioned by others, i don't want to wait until the world cup for a best - on - best.

And i already conceded  defeat on the Vegas issue.  Pre- season i predicted Vegas would finish with 60pts max. They might hit that by the half way mark.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: December 26, 2017, 02:43:03 PM »
Also gotta say that I'm due for a nice helping of crow soon... Vegas looks legit as fuck.  And that is shocking as fuck.

Just to add insult to injury they'll probably win a Cup before the Blues or Leafs do....

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #207 on: December 26, 2017, 02:55:24 PM »
I think we’ve discussed the Olypmic thing here before, my stance hasn’t changed- I totally get why the NHL doesn’t want to do it anymore, it’s not what’s best for their business. Personally, I think it’s cool to see those guys play in the Olypmics but I think it’ll be cool to see other players represent their countries as well.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: December 26, 2017, 03:20:31 PM »
I think we’ve discussed the Olypmic thing here before, my stance hasn’t changed- I totally get why the NHL doesn’t want to do it anymore, it’s not what’s best for their business. Personally, I think it’s cool to see those guys play in the Olypmics but I think it’ll be cool to see other players represent their countries as well.

This is where I'm at.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #209 on: January 03, 2018, 01:12:39 PM »
Man, still salty the next day that the Devils only got one point in STL last night. Go ahead goal overturned in the third and then a couple chances where I don't know how they didn't go in late in the third and in OT. Knew we'd lose if it went to a shootout.
Photobucket sucks.