Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 93582 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2017, 11:32:28 PM »
Well, I honestly did not expect this start from the Kings.  There was only two things I wanted from them this season.

1. Have Kopitar return to his former glory after a disappointing season in his first year as captain (and his first year having that near $10 million a year contract).
2. Have no key players get injured (well, that happened with Carter getting a lower-body injury today.  Will see if he has to sit out the road trip.)

So far, they are 5-0-1.  Kopitar is off to a good start.  Surprisingly, Dustin Brown is making things happen (something that hasn't happened for him in the last few seasons).  Quick is Quick.  Adrian Kempe, one of the younger guys, really had a big impact against the Canadiens today credited with four points (including a hat trick!).

The teams they've beaten though so far (aside from perhaps the Sharks, since all Sharks/Kings games have such high variance in terms of scoring) have been easy relatively targets.  We'll see how they will fair against teams like Maple Leafs, Blues, Bruins, etc. on this road trip.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2017, 10:57:08 AM »
:lol You know a team is struggling when fans pine for Torts.

Oh Torts sucked. But at least his teams play with heart.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2017, 10:58:51 AM »
:lol You know a team is struggling when fans pine for Torts.

Oh Torts sucked. But at least his teams play with heart.

I feel you, just gotta recognize how funny that is from an outside perspective.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2017, 11:28:02 PM »
Nice of the Refs to stick it up the Blues a$$ in overtime against Vegas. FFS I know it's a cool story and all but a penalty is a penalty.....you're supposed to call them when they happen.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2017, 06:28:13 AM »
F'n Bruins blow a 4-1 lead over the Sabres. THE SABRES!! :censored
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2017, 06:34:49 AM »
Nice of the Refs to stick it up the Blues a$$ in overtime against Vegas. FFS I know it's a cool story and all but a penalty is a penalty.....you're supposed to call them when they happen.

Right after I read this, the play came up on On The Fly. That was definitely a trip. The guy got "all foot".
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2017, 06:37:29 AM »
F'n Bruins blow a 4-1 lead over the Sabres. THE SABRES!! :censored

Love it.  :tup :tup

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2017, 08:22:32 AM »

Right after I read this, the play came up on On The Fly. That was definitely a trip. The guy got "all foot".

There were (2) of those that happened within a minute of each other.....two non calls then Vegas gets a two on one rush down the ice and scores. Those non calls aren't what lost the game for the Blues....49 shots on goal and only (2) goals is.....but, clear...outright penalties not being called is a joke.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2017, 08:25:41 AM »
So a guy's toe one inch over the line in a faceoff is an issue, but an absolute takedown by the ankles on a breakaway is OK?
I hear you.

It's so much worse in basketball. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2017, 08:39:56 AM »
It's so much worse in basketball.

I cannot watch professional basketball. It has zero appeal to me. I'll watch college games but pro basketball is just silly in my eyes.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #150 on: October 22, 2017, 11:30:42 AM »
Basketball is the worst of the major sports, and it's not particularly close.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2017, 05:00:56 AM »
Great bounce-back victory agains the Kings last night after the debacle in Ottawa on Saturday.  Nice to hand the best team in the West their first regulation loss.  Marner had a terrific game given his struggles so far.

Again, what the hell is with the Rangers and Lundqvist?  He looks terrible.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: October 24, 2017, 06:55:55 AM »
Great bounce-back victory agains the Kings last night after the debacle in Ottawa on Saturday.  Nice to hand the best team in the West their first regulation loss.  Marner had a terrific game given his struggles so far.

That’s funny considering in a one on one interview in ‘The Athletic’ Drew Doughty was asked what he thought of the Leafs and he said they were fun to watch but had a LONG way to go before they were a real threat to win the Cup.

The interviewer failed to ask him why the woman who accused him of drugging and raping her suddenly dropped the case out of nowhere.

Doughty is a D bag

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: October 24, 2017, 08:25:46 AM »

That’s funny considering in a one on one interview in ‘The Athletic’ Drew Doughty was asked what he thought of the Leafs and he said they were fun to watch but had a LONG way to go before they were a real threat to win the Cup.

The interviewer failed to ask him why the woman who accused him of drugging and raping her suddenly dropped the case out of nowhere.

Doughty is a D bag

The local broadcast talked about Doughty's comments at length.  To tell you the truth, I can't say I disagree with them.  It was great to see Roman Polak sign a 1-year deal... gives the D some extra PK depth, and some grit/toughness they were sorely lacking.  They do still have a long way to go, and I can totally see the team trading some offence to get a A or B list defenceman.  They've got enough depth up front - the saying around here is that we have 10 Top-9 forwards.  When Marner is on the "4th" line, that talks to the depth.

Problems may come next year when they have to sign all their 3rd year players - Matthews, Connor Brown (20-goal scorer last year), Nylander, Marner, Hyman (3rd man with Matthew/Nylander).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2017, 08:49:55 AM »
The local broadcast talked about Doughty's comments at length.  To tell you the truth, I can't say I disagree with them.  It was great to see Roman Polak sign a 1-year deal... gives the D some extra PK depth, and some grit/toughness they were sorely lacking.  They do still have a long way to go, and I can totally see the team trading some offence to get a A or B list defenceman.  They've got enough depth up front - the saying around here is that we have 10 Top-9 forwards.  When Marner is on the "4th" line, that talks to the depth.

Problems may come next year when they have to sign all their 3rd year players - Matthews, Connor Brown (20-goal scorer last year), Nylander, Marner, Hyman (3rd man with Matthew/Nylander).

I'm sure there is some substance to the thought that the Leafs aren't there yet. But, what rubbed me wrong was the 'tone' of the comment as almost like a dismissive....yeah, they're 'cute' right now but they ain't got nothin' on us. The dude has always came off as a jacka$$ and this interview didn't do much to help that image.

And the thing is....all it takes is a team getting hot at the right time entering the playoffs and they could win it. The Hurricanes did it when they won it all....Nashville rode out a hot streak to the Finals last  year......it's not out of the question for the Leafs to hit the playoffs on a streak and then just keep it going.

IMO there isn't a great difference between a #8 seed and #1 seed anymore when it comes to hockey. All these teams are pretty good, it's an extra win here and there that really separates them. So, to think that the Leafs or any other "young" team don't have a shot is crazy. I think when the playoffs start that theres a legit 10-12 teams that could win the Cup in any given playoff. It's all about momentum, breaks going your way and good team work.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2017, 09:10:49 AM »
And a hot goalie that can steal a game here and there.

To be fair, Carolina was the #2 seed in '06.  Edmonton is the better example as the #8 seed that year - who started by taking out the Red Wings (who had 17 more wins that season)

IMO, any playoff team has a chance to win the cup.  How many other examples of 1vs8 seeds over the years have looked like they would/should be over in 3 games, only to see the #1 seed playing golf 2 weeks later (see above)?  I remember the Buffalo/Boston series in '93 - Bruins finished 8-0-0 to wrap the season, then were swept by the Sabres - who finished 23 points behind them in the Adams.  Pretty much same story with Hawks/Blues that year (courtesy of a hot goalie in CuJo).

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2017, 09:12:36 AM »
IMO, any playoff team has a chance to win the cup. How many other examples of 1vs8 seeds over the years have looked like they would/should be over in 3 games, only to see the #1 seed playing golf 2 weeks later (see above)?  I remember the Buffalo/Boston series in '93 - Bruins finished 8-0-0 to wrap the season, then were swept by the Sabres - who finished 23 points behind them in the Adams.  Pretty much same story with Hawks/Blues that year (courtesy of a hot goalie in CuJo).

Yeah I agree, that's one of the things that makes the Stanley Cup Playoffs awesome to watch, any team 1 through 8 can win it.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2017, 05:15:54 PM »
A few days late on this, but....

Yeah, I absolutely concur.  No one is really safe or is a lock to beat any team in the playoffs.  A lot of high variance in that one and unpredictability which makes it fun to watch, but nerve-wracking for the fans of the teams in the playoffs. This generation's Blackhawks, who I really thought would be absolutely indestructible, would be hard to beat against any team in the playoffs, they got swept against Predators in their big run last season and the Blackhawks hardly scored in that series.  When the Kings won the cup in 2012, they were #8 in the Western Conference (but in all fairness, about two weeks prior to the end of the season, they were 1st in the Pacific, but teams like Sharks, Stars, and Coyotes was really close in the standings that it was anybody's ballgame to make it to the playoffs and win the Pacific Division).  Heck, they beat the President's Trophy winner, Canucks, in 5 games.

That stated.  The 2013 Blackhawks team was truly untouchable.  They went like what, 25 games, without losing in regulation?  It made me mad that year, especially when they were so untouchable at the Kings' expenses (they humiliated the Kings at the first game of the season and beat them in five in the conference finals).  2014 was a much better breather.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2017, 06:44:11 AM »
Just checking in after two Phil Kessel OT winners in a row baby!!  :metal

A few days late on this, but....

Yeah, I absolutely concur.  No one is really safe or is a lock to beat any team in the playoffs.  A lot of high variance in that one and unpredictability which makes it fun to watch, but nerve-wracking for the fans of the teams in the playoffs. This generation's Blackhawks, who I really thought would be absolutely indestructible, would be hard to beat against any team in the playoffs, they got swept against Predators in their big run last season and the Blackhawks hardly scored in that series.  When the Kings won the cup in 2012, they were #8 in the Western Conference (but in all fairness, about two weeks prior to the end of the season, they were 1st in the Pacific, but teams like Sharks, Stars, and Coyotes was really close in the standings that it was anybody's ballgame to make it to the playoffs and win the Pacific Division).  Heck, they beat the President's Trophy winner, Canucks, in 5 games.

Yup and all that makes hockey incredibly fun to watch. With the salary cap in the league, and frankly the talent pool being stretched kinda thin, teams better work or else anyone can beat anyone any given night.

That stated.  The 2013 Blackhawks team was truly untouchable.  They went like what, 25 games, without losing in regulation?  It made me mad that year, especially when they were so untouchable at the Kings' expenses (they humiliated the Kings at the first game of the season and beat them in five in the conference finals).  2014 was a much better breather.

The record holding 92-93 Pens would like a word with you.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #159 on: October 28, 2017, 06:51:52 AM »
So I'll just admit right now how wrong i was about vegas. I think i said no more than 60 points this season, or something stupid like that. They're killing it. Neal is playing like the 40 goal scorer of years past, and they're running with an AHL goalie. I'm wondering if they could actually make the playoffs this season?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2017, 07:41:34 AM »
So I'll just admit right now how wrong i was about vegas. I think i said no more than 60 points this season, or something stupid like that. They're killing it. Neal is playing like the 40 goal scorer of years past, and they're running with an AHL goalie. I'm wondering if they could actually make the playoffs this season?

I'll be quite stunned if the shine on them doesn't wear off fast.  I suppose it's possible, but given the competition in the West, highly improbably for them to make the playoffs.  On the whole, the teams that are better than them (in no particular order) - Chicago, St.L, Edmonton, Dallas, Anaheim, San Jose, LA, Nashville... probably Winnipeg and Minnesota as well.  Calgary is going to be very competitive too.  Some of those aren't exactly firing on all cylinders yet, but I can't see VGK out-performing them over 82 games.

Look, I'm not knocking an 8-1 start.  But....

- they haven't exactly played the toughest teams (AZ twice, Buf, and Col)
- 4 of their wins have been by 1 goal (with a 5th win having an empty netter).  Good on them to hold that lead or take the OT win, but they could've dropped those just as easily as they won them.
- they got a very generous call in the St.L OT win
- 6 home games, 3 vs Eastern Conference teams who might be a little fatigued
- teams may have under-estimated them coming out of the gate

The real test comes now - 6-game road swing, and 14 of their next 20 are on the road.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #161 on: October 28, 2017, 07:47:04 AM »
On The Fly is FANTASTIC this morning!!! :heart

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #162 on: October 28, 2017, 10:10:51 AM »

I'll be quite stunned if the shine on them doesn't wear off fast.  I suppose it's possible, but given the competition in the West, highly improbably for them to make the playoffs.  On the whole, the teams that are better than them (in no particular order) - Chicago, St.L, Edmonton, Dallas, Anaheim, San Jose, LA, Nashville... probably Winnipeg and Minnesota as well.  Calgary is going to be very competitive too.  Some of those aren't exactly firing on all cylinders yet, but I can't see VGK out-performing them over 82 games.

Look, I'm not knocking an 8-1 start.  But....

- they haven't exactly played the toughest teams (AZ twice, Buf, and Col)
- 4 of their wins have been by 1 goal (with a 5th win having an empty netter).  Good on them to hold that lead or take the OT win, but they could've dropped those just as easily as they won them.
- they got a very generous call in the St.L OT win
- 6 home games, 3 vs Eastern Conference teams who might be a little fatigued
- teams may have under-estimated them coming out of the gate

The real test comes now - 6-game road swing, and 14 of their next 20 are on the road.

Oh, i realize it's still early.  That being said, i would have bet my house they wouldn't start 8-1.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #163 on: October 28, 2017, 11:39:16 AM »
Vegas will come back down to earth like Jingle said, great to see them start well though. Always good for an expansion team to actually be decent.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #164 on: November 01, 2017, 01:07:05 PM »
With Vegas, I agree, it is an amazing start (more wins than the expansion Capitals got in a full season, fun fact), but everything Jingle said will contribute down the road, as well as the unfortunate string of goalie injuries they are now having. At the 41 game mark it'll be great to see how they are doing. Even if they miss the playoffs it's a great start by them, and if they do make the playoffs it'll be awesome to watch.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #165 on: November 01, 2017, 07:25:21 PM »
I would think that Vegas is also facing backup goaltenders for the most part, no?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #166 on: November 01, 2017, 07:59:06 PM »
Pre- season i predicted no more than 60pts. I think they could easily get 75+ with the head start they've given themselves, but surely only an actual, home-bred, VGK fan would think they actually have a shot at the playoffs.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 02, 2017, 04:46:15 AM »
I would think that Vegas is also facing backup goaltenders for the most part, no?

Good point.  Quick review of the box scores tells us they got Dallas' backup after Bishop got injured; AZ... does it really matter?!  They got Jimmy Howard against Detroit; Rask against Boston; Johnson against Buf; Allen against St.L; Crawford against Chi; Varmalav against Col; Halak against NYI; and King Henrik against NYR.

So no... it doesn't look like they're getting too many backups.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #168 on: November 02, 2017, 06:52:10 AM »
Well the Pens got out of the month of October in better shape than I thought they would. Between the crazy amount of games they have played over the last two years, the number of games and travel on their schedule for the month, the number of back-to-backs they had, and the usual Stanley Cup hangover, I'm happy with their first month. Tons of room to improve and lots to work on, but honestly a better start than I thought they would have.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: November 02, 2017, 08:37:03 PM »
Flyers posting a great shutout of the Blues tonight, especially considering the Flyers have 4 defensemen injured.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: November 02, 2017, 08:51:57 PM »
Flyers posting a great shutout of the Blues tonight, especially considering the Flyers have 4 defensemen injured.

Your goalie stood on his head.....the flyers must have had 25 blocked shots also...maybe 30. They played a good game. Blues were 'off' a bit all night though. I knew after our first PP when we had 9 shots on goal and didn't score it was going to be a long night. Tarasenko misses the net 4 times, two of which should have been buried...hits a post...yadda yadda yadda. Can't win em all. that was their first loss at home this season so can't complain too much.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #171 on: November 02, 2017, 09:26:56 PM »
Figures that the first time this season that my brother and I meet a favorite cousin at a sports bar to watch a Blues game, they get shut out. :lol :facepalm:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2017, 09:35:18 PM »

Your goalie stood on his head.....the flyers must have had 25 blocked shots also...maybe 30. They played a good game. Blues were 'off' a bit all night though. I knew after our first PP when we had 9 shots on goal and didn't score it was going to be a long night. Tarasenko misses the net 4 times, two of which should have been buried...hits a post...yadda yadda yadda. Can't win em all. that was their first loss at home this season so can't complain too much.

Goalie played great, but as you said, blocked shots as well, Provorov had over 10 himself.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #173 on: November 04, 2017, 07:01:00 PM »
Is there a bigger douche in the NHL than Brooks Orpick?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #174 on: November 04, 2017, 08:07:04 PM »
Brad Marchand
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen