Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 93556 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2017, 01:29:14 PM »
McDavid...what a fucking bargain!!

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2017, 02:41:52 PM »

:lol 12.5 is a bargain now?!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2017, 02:46:01 PM »

Considering he could have asked for 14 million and got it, and considering he was at 13.25 million and reportedly took another million AAV off the top to help the club, I'd say that's a bargain. If you recall our earlier conversation McDavid now sits a smooth margin under Crosby as far as AAV as % of current cap. The kid cashed in, as everyone expected, but certainly didn't gut the team in doing so.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2017, 02:55:10 PM »

Considering he could have asked for 14 million and got it, and considering he was at 13.25 million and reportedly took another million AAV off the top to help the club, I'd say that's a bargain. If you recall our earlier conversation McDavid now sits a smooth margin under Crosby as far as AAV as % of current cap. The kid cashed in, as everyone expected, but certainly didn't gut the team in doing so.

Oh I know, I was kidding. That makes him the highest paid player in the league, right? Good for him, honestly I wouldn't have even given the team a discount  :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2017, 03:04:36 PM »

Oh I know, I was kidding. That makes him the highest paid player in the league, right? Good for him, honestly I wouldn't have even given the team a discount  :lol

I think he realized he needed to take a lower amount to truly allow the team to be built around him. He definitely wants to win some cups. I just hope the 1M in savings doesn't end up in Leon's contract.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2017, 06:37:15 AM »
I think he realized he needed to take a lower amount to truly allow the team to be built around him. He definitely wants to win some cups. I just hope the 1M in savings doesn't end up in Leon's contract.

Yeah obviously that was the case, hopefully the Oilers can make the right decisions with that extra money moving forward.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2017, 07:02:01 PM »
Peter Chiarelli..WTF??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2017, 07:52:04 PM »
Peter Chiarelli..WTF??

He only overpaid by about $500k-1M. Not bad relative to that fucking Lucic contract.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2017, 07:57:34 PM »
I watched Draisitl (sp?) singlehandedly destroy the Bruins this year. But that's a ton of money. the thing is, you can overpay for a contract or two, but when you (Chiarelli) overpay on every contract...well...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2017, 08:09:21 PM »
The real kicker will be the Maroon contract. If he gives him 4 or 5 mil, i might actually go slap the fat bastard.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2017, 08:10:40 PM »
Get ready!

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2017, 07:33:43 AM »
I think I said before that the Oilers will have a ton of money tied up in a couple key guys.

Usually, that either works really well cause the guys live up to the hype (see Hawks, Pens, etc...) or it doesn't and the roster doesn't ever really come together because there is too much money tied up in a couple players. I actually hope it works out for the Oilers, they would be a fun team to watch if these guys live up to the hype.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2017, 07:36:40 AM »
Did not know this thread existed.

Big Pens and Lightning fan here on the East. I also like the Maple Leafs. On the West, I'm an Avs fan as well as and also follow the Stars and Oilers.

-Pens - Will probably get to the Eastern Conference Final. They have played a lot hockey the last 2-3 years.  Not sure if they will go all the way.
-Oilers - Will be the surprise team this year. 2nd round or Western Conference finals in the playoffs is my prediction. 
-Lightning - Eastern Conference or Stanley Cup Final.
-Maple Leafs - 2nd Round playoffs. They need more experience.
-Avs -  :'( Not sure if Sakic is GM material. Has made very questionable moves and they are looking to move Duchesne. Another high pick in the 1st round of draft.
-Stars - On paper, they look great. I'm not a fan of Hitchcock's system. The Stars have a lof of offensive power but not sure if Hitch's system will help the Stars.  I disagreed with Ruff being Nill's coach. Jim Nill has made great moves for the roster but in my opinion, Jim's weakness has been the coaches he has hired. IF everything goes right for the Stars, they will be going to at least the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Prediction of SC Final: Nashville/Chicago on the west and Lightning/Pens on thee East.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2017, 07:52:18 AM »

Big Pens and Lightning fan here on the East. I also like the Maple Leafs. On the West, I'm an Avs fan as well as and also follow the Stars and Oilers.

-Pens - Will probably get to the Eastern Conference Final. They have played a lot hockey the last 2-3 years.  Not sure if they will go all the way.
-Oilers - Will be the surprise team this year. 2nd round or Western Conference finals in the playoffs is my prediction. 
-Avs -  :'( Not sure if Sakic is GM material. Has made very questionable moves and they are looking to move Duchesne. Another high pick in the 1st round of draft.
-Stars - On paper, they look great. I'm not a fan of Hitchcock's system. The Stars have a lof of offensive power but not sure if Hitch's system will help the Stars.  I disagreed with Ruff being Nill's coach. Jim Nill has made great moves for the roster but in my opinion, Jim's weakness has been the coaches he has hired. IF everything goes right for the Stars, they will be going to at least the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Prediction of SC Final: Nashville/Chicago on the west and Lightning/Pens on thee East.

Pens need to address the center position below Sid and Geno if they want to go deep again, it's going to be tough, they have played an insane amount of hockey over the last two years. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Lighting have a good year (health permitting of course).

I agree with most of your assessments except for this - Nashville. This might be considered controversial but I think last year was their shot. I don't see them as a team or organization that is going to continuing playing that well in post season series moving forward. I don't see them being there next season. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I see them getting into (maybe) the first round and losing.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2017, 07:59:18 AM »

Pens need to address the center position below Sid and Geno if they want to go deep again, it's going to be tough, they have played an insane amount of hockey over the last two years. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Lighting have a good year (health permitting of course).

I agree with most of your assessments except for this - Nashville. This might be considered controversial but I think last year was their shot. I don't see them as a team or organization that is going to continuing playing that well in post season series moving forward. I don't see them being there next season. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I see them getting into (maybe) the first round and losing.

I think they can still have the momentum. Johansson's injury was a big bummer during their playoff run and they capitalized on it. Defensively they are pretty set. Offensively is where I see the struggle. And Peka's play needs to improve when he is not playing at home. I'm thinking this is more of a psychological issue and Nashville needs to address it someway. But I see your point. I still think they need another Top 6 forward and maybe a #1 or #2 center. Not sure about Johansen being the #1 guy.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2017, 08:04:37 AM »

Agree on the Nashville front. They were an 8th seed surprise as it was last season, so I'd be shocked if they even make the playoffs. Oilers made an improbable run as an 8 seed in '06, and the moves they made at the deadline that year cost them a decade of playoffs. Poile is a smart GM though, so maybe he can re-tool the roster more quickly. Still no offence though.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2017, 08:06:40 AM »
I think they can still have the momentum. Johansson's injury was a big bummer during their playoff run and they capitalized on it. Defensively they are pretty set. Offensively is where I see the struggle. And Peka's play needs to improve when he is not playing at home. I'm thinking this is more of a psychological issue and Nashville needs to address it someway. But I see your point. I still think they need another Top 6 forward and maybe a #1 or #2 center. Not sure about Johansen being the #1 guy.

I don't disagree with any of that. Honestly, for me, they just strike me as that kind of team that had a cinderella year and won't be able to maintain it moving forward. I know that's kinda flimsy analysis, that's just where I'm at.

The big thing for them will be scoring. Losing Neal will hurt and like you said, I too am not sure about Johnansen being "the" guy. Also, don't discount the loss of Fisher. He was past his prime, but was a difference maker for them in a lot of ways last year. I also think they think Bonino is going to be answer for some of these issues, I don't see it happening. His success in Pittsburgh was a direct result of playing 3rd center behind two of the best centers in the world and having top 6 winger talent play with him on the 3rd line. Even with that, he went through huge dry spells in scoring in the regular season.

Agree on the Nashville front. They were an 8th seed surprise as it was last season, so I'd be shocked if they even make the playoffs. Oilers made an improbable run as an 8 seed in '06, and the moves they made at the deadline that year cost them a decade of playoffs. Poile is a smart GM though, so maybe he can re-tool the roster more quickly. Still no offence though.

Yup.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2017, 09:04:13 AM »

The big thing for them will be scoring. Losing Neal will hurt and like you said, I too am not sure about Johnansen being "the" guy. Also, don't discount the loss of Fisher. He was past his prime, but was a difference maker for them in a lot of ways last year. I also think they think Bonino is going to be answer for some of these issues, I don't see it happening. His success in Pittsburgh was a direct result of playing 3rd center behind two of the best centers in the world and having top 6 winger talent play with him on the 3rd line. Even with that, he went through huge dry spells in scoring in the regular season.

Oh crap. Forgot about the Neal loss. And you are spot on Bonino's assessment. They do have a strong defense and strong core mainly in the 1st two lines. Nashville would greatly benefit if Fisher stayed in some sort of coaching role.

On a different note, I would of loved to see Laviolette going to the Stars instead of Hitchcock.

What do you guys think about Vegas' roster?

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2017, 09:15:48 AM »

I don't think they'll really be able to score with any consistency either, they are pretty weak down the middle. Flower will give them a solid foundation in goal and the D won't be bad, I just think they will struggle to score. The story of the team will come down to how they draft and develop over the next couple years. I think the expansion draft did as it is designed to do, it gave them just enough to start to build, now it's up to them.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2017, 09:18:19 AM »

Oh crap. Forgot about the Neal loss. And you are spot on Bonino's assessment. They do have a strong defense and strong core mainly in the 1st two lines. Nashville would greatly benefit if Fisher stayed in some sort of coaching role.

On a different note, I would of loved to see Laviolette going to the Stars instead of Hitchcock.

You missed all the Vegas discussion at the end of the 16-17 thread lol. Team will be lucky to get 60 points, and they're going to be absolute fodder for the pacific division.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »
I think Nashville was punching out of their weight class during the playoff run for all the reasons listed.  Their "big-4' defencemen have to prove that they are a 'big-4'.  If they can play like they did in Apr-Jun for 82 games, then they have arguably the best top 4 guys in the league.  Pekka needs to do the same, otherwise their goaltending isn't even Top 10, imo.  And everyone is already claiming offence is their weak spot.

Playoffs might be a stretch for them.  In the Central, Winnipeg continues to improve, same with Dallas (though, I don't think they're playoff material yet).  Chi/StL/Min didn't get any worse, so it's gonna be a hella tough division.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2017, 10:00:23 PM »
FWIW, I think Chicago got worse, not considerably, but within that division I now consider them a bubble playoff team. Winnipeg has a good thing going, but I don't see any possibility of them making the playoffs this year, too many good teams in the west.

What do people think of StL's off season and what they may do this coming year? I consider them as a sleeper event though they are a real good team, and losing Shattenkirk didn't hurt much with the depth they have on the back end. If Allen can play the way he did the last month or two of the season and playoffs, I think they can do some damage. At least I'm hoping so, I have their goaltenders in my fantasy league.  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2017, 08:55:59 AM »
What do people think of StL's off season and what they may do this coming year? I consider them as a sleeper event though they are a real good team, and losing Shattenkirk didn't hurt much with the depth they have on the back end. If Allen can play the way he did the last month or two of the season and playoffs, I think they can do some damage. At least I'm hoping so, I have their goaltenders in my fantasy league.  :lol

I'm optimistic about next year. As people have mentioned, I'm not too concerned that Nashville is just going to route everyone because their playoff run had a TON of things go right for them...including a host of fortunate calls that shifted the momentum of games. So...the Preds may be in the hunt but I don't see them dominating everyone.

As far as StL I'm stoked to see a full year under Yeo....be rid of that waste of a player Lehtera.....and have Allen playing with confidence after making it through his first full year as 'the man' and playing incredible in goal. Let's not forget that he near single handedly beat Minnesota and that's something the Blues have not had in some time, a goalie who can steal a series much less a game.

I see them finishing in the top two or three with just as good a shot as Chicago, Dallas or the Preds to win the division. (Winnipeg is a sleeper...they are on the cusp of being dominant) It's a tough, competitive division but I expect the Blues to be playing for the right to go to the Cup finals.....

of which they will win and then steamroll whatever Eastern Conference team is there!!!!!!   St. Louis Blues Stanley Cup Champions!!!!!!    :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2017, 09:09:12 AM »
Ah, Gary, the eternal optimist...for a while. :biggrin: :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2017, 09:44:50 AM »
Ah, Gary, the eternal optimist...for a while. :biggrin: :lol

At least until the season starts.  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2017, 10:03:38 AM »
I give it 3 or 4 pages until his first rage-post of the season.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2017, 11:18:59 AM »
I give it 3 or 4 pages until his first rage-post of the season.

Who....me?  :\

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2017, 02:24:03 PM »
I just read an article on SB Nation saying that the Sens took 1,500 seats out of their arena because they can't sell out any games, including playoffs. Hilarious.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2017, 02:37:14 PM »
I just read an article on SB Nation saying that the Sens took 1,500 seats out of their arena because they can't sell out any games, including playoffs. Hilarious.

Well that seems like a weird way to address a problem  :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2017, 04:54:11 PM »

Well that seems like a weird way to address a problem  :lol

They call it a "short term solution"

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2017, 07:51:36 AM »
Anyone been noticing that the majority of the beat writers for each cities Hockey teams have been joining 'The Athletic'? A subscription based sports webisite? I personally know the St. Louis Blues beat writer....Jeremy Rutherford....and a month or so ago we were having some Wings and he was telling me he was thinking of leaving the St. Louis Post Dispatch who he'd been at for 21 years to go to the Athletic. He said all his colleagues were heading to it.

So, he ultimately did and I signed up for the subscription...it's $40 for a year and I have to say the site and App are pretty slick. You can customize what teams you want to follow...not just hockey it's every sport.....what writers...etc etc and it delivers that content. No adds or pop ups....I've only had it a few days but it's been pretty neat.

anyway...if you're a sports nut it's a neat App/site to buy into.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2017, 08:27:22 AM »
They call it a "short term solution"

:lol Of course.

Anyone been noticing that the majority of the beat writers for each cities Hockey teams have been joining 'The Athletic'? A subscription based sports webisite? I personally know the St. Louis Blues beat writer....Jeremy Rutherford....and a month or so ago we were having some Wings and he was telling me he was thinking of leaving the St. Louis Post Dispatch who he'd been at for 21 years to go to the Athletic. He said all his colleagues were heading to it.

So, he ultimately did and I signed up for the subscription...it's $40 for a year and I have to say the site and App are pretty slick. You can customize what teams you want to follow...not just hockey it's every sport.....what writers...etc etc and it delivers that content. No adds or pop ups....I've only had it a few days but it's been pretty neat.

anyway...if you're a sports nut it's a neat App/site to buy into.

That's the way these things are going I think. In Pittsburgh, the best sports coverage around is a site that is exactly like you just described - subscription based website and app - started by a respected journalist in Pittsburgh who has been around for like 20 years and he has slowly pulled together a staff of other veteran journalists from the city who left traditional media jobs for it.

Dude has the best Pittsburgh sports coverage without question -

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2017, 09:16:02 AM »
That's the way these things are going I think.

Yep. That was the consensus that my buddy said many of his conversations with industry mentors were indicating. That the 'free' publications of the Post or NY Times, Washington Post etc etc. simply aren't making money and subscription based services....whether 'we' like it or not....will be the wave of the future. He basically was told he'd be a fool not to take a shot and get in on the ground floor.

He said the founder of 'The Athletic' is a wealthy venture capitalist who basically told his team to go out and hire the best beat writers in each city. And, like I mentioned the web site and App are really slick and nice. It's not going to bother me paying $40 a year to get in on the benefits of this site.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2017, 09:23:02 AM »
Does the Athletic have a fantasy sports slant to it, or is it just purely reporting on stories? I'm a junkie for fantasy hockey and always looking for websites/products that can give me a leg up on the competition  :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2017, 09:26:58 AM »
IDK, there's so much free content everywhere that I'm hard pressed to pay for any subscription. I would need a whole lot more than written articles to justify that cost, even just $40 on the year.