Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 94818 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #980 on: April 23, 2018, 09:27:27 AM »
I fully agree that the torn MCL has no impact on the call, just salt in the wound. And while I can see why they might not have wanted to call it, it was in fact a blatant penalty. And yes, of course the throwing incident was bad. But FWIW 1/3 were probably being thrown at the refs and another 1/3 at the Flyers, so it's not like it was just the usual Penguins hatred.

Like I said, overall I agree with you, that should have been called. And yes, it did seem the hatred was spread out pretty equally in the building, looked like everyone was everything at everybody. I get the frustration, but I just hate to see it happen, could have been bad.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #981 on: April 23, 2018, 12:10:37 PM »
Unlike Gary's Brother in-law, I do not pretend to know a lot about the game of hockey.  What kind of game plan will be effective against the Preds and what team has the best shot against them?
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #982 on: April 23, 2018, 12:28:25 PM »
Unlike Gary's Brother in-law, I do not pretend to know a lot about the game of hockey.  What kind of game plan will be effective against the Preds and what team has the best shot against them?

:lol   I wish he hadn't ruined the Preds for me....they'd been my second favorite team forever.

but my opinion to you question is 'punch them back'. A lot of teams allow the Preds to walk all over them and try to just sustain that and counter attack which rarely works. I think if you get a team....much like the Avalanche did at times....that will take it to them and push them they'd have success.

I think Winnipeg is going to beat them personally. Rinne hasn't been as sharp as he normally has been (I know he just had a shut out) and he's giving up a lot of rebounds. Winnipeg is a team that is not scared of the Preds which is where a lot of teams lose the game. Take the Blues for instance....for whatever reason they Blues can handle a lot of the Western conference teams but when it comes to the Preds they clam up and abandon their game.

I'd be willing to bet the winner of Winnipeg/Preds is the Western Conference Representative for the Cup.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #983 on: April 23, 2018, 12:36:42 PM »

I haven't seen enough Preds games to speak too intelligently, but here's what can be easily culled from some of the available stats:

Against the remaining Western Conference playoff teams, Nashville performed as follows:

Winnipeg          3-1-1, with an average of 4.4 GF/G and 4.0 GA/G
San Jose           2-1-0, with an average of 4.33 GF/G and 2.67 GA/G
Vegas               1-1-1, with an average of 1.33. GF/G and 2.33 GA/G

Keep in mind that Nashville will have home ice throughout the playoffs.

Nashville is balanced and has no glaring weaknesses.  They had 11 players score more than 30 points this season.  And, of course, they have a perennial Vezina Trophy candidate in net.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #984 on: April 23, 2018, 12:56:51 PM »
I'll probably regret saying this, but I said after the finals last year, I don't see this Preds team going back to the finals and winning it. I think last year was their shot and they came up short. Obviously, they are a good team who had a good regular season, but I still don't see it. The Caps are also a good team who have had several great regular seasons in a row, look how many Cups they have gotten from that.

I know they are a favorite to win it all for a lot of people, so it might not make much sense (and like I said, I might regret saying it) but I just don't see it. For whatever reason, I think they are missing that intangible something it takes, and this is coming from a guy that doesn't put a lot of stock in silly intangible things in sports.

I think the Jets or the Knights will be representing the West in the finals this year. That's based on nothing more than a gut feeling.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #985 on: April 23, 2018, 01:34:12 PM »
I think the Jets are big, tough, and fast enough to contain the Preds.  You luck at Buf, Wheeler, Scheifle ... they're all big dudes.  Hell, even Laine brings a bit of size.  They're balanced offensively, with the ability to be explosive.  I like their chances against the Preds.  I'm gonna be watching that series, for sure - I'm calling the Jets to make it, and win the Cup still.  Hellabucyk looks like he's in the zone - that 6 goal game notwithstanding.

I think the Sharks/Knights is gonna be a helluva goal-tending series.  I take back what I previously said about Jones - he's been stellar, and can/could steal a game or two - from anyone.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

« Reply #986 on: April 23, 2018, 02:26:58 PM »
I think the Jets are big, tough, and fast enough to contain the Preds.  You luck at Buf, Wheeler, Scheifle ... they're all big dudes.  Hell, even Laine brings a bit of size.  They're balanced offensively, with the ability to be explosive.  I like their chances against the Preds.  I'm gonna be watching that series, for sure - I'm calling the Jets to make it, and win the Cup still.  Hellabucyk looks like he's in the zone - that 6 goal game notwithstanding.

I think the Sharks/Knights is gonna be a helluva goal-tending series.  I take back what I previously said about Jones - he's been stellar, and can/could steal a game or two - from anyone.

Laine is 6'5" and 206 lbs.  I'd say that's more than a bit of size.  BTW, the Jets roster has 10 guys on it that are at least 6'3" and 200+ lbs, and only 3 guys under 6'0".  Winnipeg Jumbo Jets would be an accurate description of that team.   I'm on their bandwagon though.  They seem to have fun and also have a killer instinct.  The series against Nashville is going to be epic.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #987 on: April 23, 2018, 06:35:33 PM »
Andersson is going to steal another fucking game??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #988 on: April 23, 2018, 06:38:55 PM »
Let's hope so. :)

How Boston didn't score on the last sequence is beyond me.

And the Leafs score as I type this!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #989 on: April 23, 2018, 06:40:37 PM »
Marner has been great this entire series.

Rask has to make that stop.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #990 on: April 23, 2018, 06:41:56 PM »
Andersson is going to steal another fucking game??

I hope so. The Western Conference results so far messed up my bracket and I need Toronto to pull out a series win to get back on track. If Toronto and Washington win their respective series, I’ll be 6-2 with a perfect Eastern Conference after the first round after starting 2-2.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #991 on: April 23, 2018, 06:42:05 PM »
Feels like the Leafs are taking over.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #992 on: April 23, 2018, 06:43:52 PM »
Feels like the Leafs are taking over.

Not really. Boston has been carrying the play. They could be up by 3 easy if not for Andersson. Bullcrap call on Miller.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: April 23, 2018, 07:49:48 PM »
Welp.  Game 7 coming up.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #994 on: April 23, 2018, 07:51:17 PM »
I could tell in the first period. Leafs need to thank their goalie.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #995 on: April 23, 2018, 07:52:50 PM »
Washington looks like they are going to close out the Blue Jackets, so at least we will get one game 7 in the 1st round. :hat

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: April 23, 2018, 08:47:57 PM »
That's 2 games Andersen has stolen - let's hope it can be a full team effort on Wednesday.  That sequence in the 2nd just before Marner's goal had me yelling at the TV repeatedly - way too many turnovers.  3, 4, 5 attempts to clear the zone every time.  At least they played much more solidly in the 3rd compared to Saturday night.  FFS, Bergeron is a machine on the faceoffs - 23 for 29.  As a team, they were 43-68.  Completely reminded me of Game 7 from '13 in that regard.  Amazing to get the win when you're chasing the puck 63% of the time play resumes.

Hopefully this gives the Bs the yips.  Caps, Sharks, Knights all took 4 straight.... who's to say the Leafs can't take 3 straight!?!?!

Hard to believe there was only one Game 7 last year (round 2 Pens/Caps).  But there were a shit-ton of overtime games - 18 in the first round alone.  Gonna be an exciting one for sure.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #997 on: April 23, 2018, 09:32:54 PM »
At first I did not want Tampa to play Boston, but now I’m not sure :huh: Toronto are some sneaky bastards! Game 7 is going to be a good one!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #998 on: April 23, 2018, 11:24:53 PM »
Hard to believe there was only one Game 7 last year (round 2 Pens/Caps).  But there were a shit-ton of overtime games - 18 in the first round alone.  Gonna be an exciting one for sure.
Wasn’t Ottawa/Pittsburgh in the East Finals a game 7? My heart is still aching.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: April 24, 2018, 06:06:46 AM »
Wasn’t Ottawa/Pittsburgh in the East Finals a game 7? My heart is still aching.

Of course!  :lolpalm:  I was just doing a real quick skim of the final bracket for the 4-3 series'.  Not sure how I could've missed/forgotten that one.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1000 on: April 24, 2018, 07:11:42 AM »
That's 2 games Andersen has stolen - let's hope it can be a full team effort on Wednesday.  That sequence in the 2nd just before Marner's goal had me yelling at the TV repeatedly - way too many turnovers.  3, 4, 5 attempts to clear the zone every time.  At least they played much more solidly in the 3rd compared to Saturday night.  FFS, Bergeron is a machine on the faceoffs - 23 for 29.  As a team, they were 43-68.  Completely reminded me of Game 7 from '13 in that regard.  Amazing to get the win when you're chasing the puck 63% of the time play resumes.

Hopefully this gives the Bs the yips.  Caps, Sharks, Knights all took 4 straight.... who's to say the Leafs can't take 3 straight!?!?!

I don't believe he stole anything last night. The top two lines of the Bruins had severe "Zack Smith Syndrome" as evidenced by Pasta's first official shot on goal coming in the third period. ZSS...also known as "high n wide" syndrome....is when players attempt to hit a tiny little spot with the puck that has little or no chance of going in. The Leafs goaltending has been decent. Their defense is horrendous. Hit the goalie, get rebound. Series over.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: April 24, 2018, 08:26:54 AM »
But to that end, don't you think it's possible that the Bruins realized they had to make THE perfect shot to beat Freddie?  I mean, his rebound control, positioning, and anticipation have all been stellar the past 3 games (those 2-on-1s were all the fault of Zaitsev/Polak*) .  Yeah, Pasta couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last night, but I believe a big part of that is because he (and the rest of the team) knew that just firing towards the net and praying for the best wasn't going to cut it.  Freddie didn't steal it because of the stops he DID make, but also because of the stops he didn't have to make.

That's what I think.

* - you notice the 2-1's last night... D-man took away the pass; Freddie got the shooter - no goals.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1002 on: April 24, 2018, 08:28:48 AM »
Oh FFS... both Leafs and Raptors play tomorrow night!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1003 on: April 24, 2018, 08:36:30 AM »
Oh FFS... both Leafs and Raptors play tomorrow night!

I fail to see the issue here.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1004 on: April 24, 2018, 09:03:28 AM »
Pens vs Caps yet again! Should be fun!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: April 24, 2018, 09:09:46 AM »

Maybe the Caps can break their curse.  I hope Holtby has a stand-out series.  The way the Pens look, the Caps are gonna need it.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1006 on: April 24, 2018, 09:14:46 AM »

Maybe the Caps can break their curse.  I hope Holtby has a stand-out series.  The way the Pens look, the Caps are gonna need it.

Eh I don't know, the Pens were far from consistent against a Flyers squad they honestly should have looked better against. I think this will be a tough series for both teams, could go either way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1007 on: April 25, 2018, 10:08:16 AM »
Yesterday was the first day since the playoffs started without any games on the schedule.  It made me sad.   :| :sadpanda:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1008 on: April 25, 2018, 11:01:56 AM »
Yesterday was the first day since the playoffs started without any games on the schedule.  It made me sad.   :| :sadpanda:

Hah, I just said the same thing to a couple guys at work! Back at it tonight with what should be a good game 7!

Kinda surprised the NHL waited to announce game one of the next round starting Thursday till late on Tuesday. I thought they would have started on Friday and Saturday arena schedules permitting.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: April 25, 2018, 05:51:50 PM »
This Leafs/Bruins game is already insane!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: April 25, 2018, 05:55:19 PM »
This Leafs/Bruins game is already insane!!

I'm dyiing. :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: April 25, 2018, 05:57:09 PM »
This tempo is crazy. These players are gonna be cooked after this game.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1012 on: April 25, 2018, 05:57:21 PM »
If the Leafs have to win to ensure that I never have to see Rene Rancourt sing an anthem and do the hand gestures ever again, then so be it.

Also, I think this game is gonna be a lot of fun
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1013 on: April 25, 2018, 05:57:52 PM »
This tempo is crazy. These players are gonna be cooked after this game.

I'm already cooked.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: April 25, 2018, 06:02:29 PM »
This game is gonna come down to who's goalie wants to start making some big saves. Not to take away from the goals that have been scored because there's been deflections and screen shots and what not....but, it looks like whichever goalie cranks it up is gonna get his team a 'W'