Author Topic: No glasses 3D  (Read 1812 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
No glasses 3D
« on: June 28, 2017, 10:44:28 AM »
https://screenrant.com/avatar-2-sequels-glasses-free-3d/

James Cameron has found another way to make all the Avatar sequels revolutionary, as they’ll be the first to implement glasses-free 3D technology

This new system has been described as “pure laser” in the tech community for its ability to use 60,000 lumens to provide bright images at incredibly high frame rates. The result will be clearer pictures than ever before, which is always preferred – especially in 3D.

:chino:

I can't wait to see if this comes to fruition. I'm a huge fan of 3D technology and I'm convinced it failed for three main reasons;

1) Lazy post-production 3D looked gimmicky and pretty terrible a lot of the time
2) The cost of the movies in store. Life of Pi on DVD is $10.99 and a 3D blu ray of the film would be $40+
3) The first generations of glasses with the consumer televisions. They needed to be charged and cost $100+ a pair (my Vizio uses the movie theater kind).

It's almost like the technology was a little too early, at least for the people at home. I very much look forward to this technology. I read rumors of Cameron experimenting with it, but this is the first confirmation I've seen of it.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: No glasses 3D
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 11:02:40 AM »
1) Lazy post-production 3D looked gimmicky and pretty terrible a lot of the time

I think the problem is that there aare tons of movies out there that put 3D in them just because it is the new thing but not because they were planning to take advantage of the technology, something Cameron since to be really into. Also because 3D tickets and DVDs are more expensive and makes more money for everyone. I myself am not a fan of 3D and always go see the 2D versions.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 11:05:47 AM »
Another failure is that it hurts some peoples eyes or gives headaches.  If this new technology is better for everyone, then that's a win.

Avatar is still the only 3D movie I've ever seen that was really worth it to see in 3D.  All others are usually better and/or easier to watch without it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 11:49:10 AM »
This projection technology doesn't actually change the way the movie is made though, right? And it's up to the movie theaters to have to upgrade their equipment for general 3D, so I don't know what this specifically has to do with Avatar besides James Cameron trying to find a new gimmick to push another Avatar movie onto a now largely indifferent audience.
Personally I think this type of 3D is going to fade away in favour of other technologies, and I have no interest in watching a movie in present day 3D, hence the fact I never bothered to watch the first Avatar, and don't plan to.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 11:58:44 AM »
Last 3D movie I saw was a double feature of The Creature from the Black Lagoon and It Came from Outer Space. I hear the technology has improved a little since then.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 12:05:31 PM »
 :rollin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 05:02:50 PM »
Last 3D movie I saw was a double feature of The Creature from the Black Lagoon and It Came from Outer Space. I hear the technology has improved a little since then.

I'm sure it was Behind The Green Door and Debbie Does Dallas.  Your age is showing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 05:53:38 PM »

I'm sure it was Behind The Green Door and Debbie Does Dallas.  Your age is showing.
Good film that it was, I definitely wouldn't want to see Behind the Green Door in 3D. Ducking from spearguns in TCftBL was fun. Dodging wads would just be creepy and disturbing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 06:16:49 PM »
Avatar is still the only 3D movie I've ever seen that was really worth it to see in 3D.  All others are usually better and/or easier to watch without it.

I agree.  8 years later, and it is still the best 3D I've seen - even with movies that were actually filmed in 3D.  Sadly, the main theater chain up here almost forces audiences to watch in 3D.  Lots of the big sci-fi/action movies aren't even shown in non-3D - especially if you want to watch it in IMAX.  Over the past 12 months though, that trend has been changing.  I have been able to see a few in non-3D IMAX. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 06:38:44 PM »
Nintendo 3DS beat Cameron.

Jokes aside, this could be cool. But I doubt it will be. Because it'll be saturated with the same bullshit that 3D is as of now. Then it'll fade.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online faizoff

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 07:09:27 PM »

2) The cost of the movies in store. Life of Pi on DVD is $10.99 and a 3D blu ray of the film would be $40+

I don't really seek out to purchase any 3D movies but I have bought a few purely for the fact that some of them have exclusive extras on the 3D sets. Life of Pi and Prometheus to name a few, I haven't paid more than $8 for any of them. Then again I never buy them on day one and wait for good sales.

I get headaches from 3D glasses so I'm not a fan of watching the movies in 3D. I thought Prometheus on 3D was a visual treat, Ridley sure knows how to make his movies look great. There have been a few movies apart from Avatar that did I thought did 3D well. Godzilla, Gravity, Prometheus were a good watch.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 07:32:02 PM »

Good film that it was, I definitely wouldn't want to see Behind the Green Door in 3D. Ducking from spearguns in TCftBL was fun. Dodging wads would just be creepy and disturbing.

They do have Blu Rays out there.  I'm with you, not looking to see thst in 3D.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PetFish

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 08:19:57 PM »
I also love 3D.  It always takes a couple of minutes to get used to it during the previews but then it's all good.  Transformers: The Last Knight looked amazing as usual in 3D.

What I'm more interested in is higher frame rates like Hobbit tried a few years ago.  I'm really tired of motion blur and find that when it's not used as a transition (ie. a whip-pan) to another scene or just to another part of the set it irritates me.  It's especially noticeable now in live sporting events that wasn't a problem back in the boob-tube days but is definitely an issue with modern HD/4K video.

Couldn't they film in 96 fps and then for the home release have the hardware (ie. Blu-ray player) cut it down to 24 as a menu option for those who don't like it?  Just like you don't have to watch in 3D if you don't want to.

Avatar, man, I hope Cameron doesn't miss his window.  It's starting to feel like Joe Public will be "over it" by the time it comes out.  You don't want to release sequels too quickly, but if you wait too long that's not good either.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 06:37:40 AM »

Avatar, man, I hope Cameron doesn't miss his window.  It's starting to feel like Joe Public will be "over it" by the time it comes out.  You don't want to release sequels too quickly, but if you wait too long that's not good either.

I don't think he's going to miss it. The fact that he's rolling out the 4 additional films over 5 years is going to keep the momentum going, I think. If he was just releasing a single sequel, I would maybe say too much time has gone by, but the next four movies are the main arc of the Avatar universe and it's almost like he's starting the franchise fresh. As far as I'm concerned, what was released in 2009 was the introduction and proof of concept, and now the fun really begins. Though, I won't be surprised if the opening weekend (at least domestically) ends up being lackluster with the following weeks bringing in more and more cash.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 12:01:48 PM »
His directorial filmography over the last 35 years reads:

Terminator
Aliens
The Abyss
T2
True lies
Titanic

Yeah, Avatar 2 will probably suck. Nobody will care anymore. The dude should just hang it up now.

The reality is that he's content to wait and let technology catch up to what he wants to do and then crank out something monumental and revolutionary. For better or for worse Avatar changed movies in a very big way. The Abyss and T2 didn't have that level of impact, but they were both unparalleled at the time. Titanic made its money from teenage girls creaming themselves over DiCaprio, but it was nevertheless an impressive bit of film-making. I suspect he'll do something similar with A2. If he says he's going to revolutionize 3D and projection technology I damn sure wouldn't bet against the man. That'll be enough to make it highly successful.
E.F. Benson

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 04:35:47 AM »
I watched "X men Apocalypse" in virtual reality on the oculus theater 3d version and it was AWESOME! If you have the means, I highly recommend checking it out.:metal I have a 3D tv and its ok but there are depth issues with different movies. I enjoy seeing 3D in the theaters depending on the movie. This new Cameron thing looks to be very cool, can't wait.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 05:09:31 AM »
For better or for worse Avatar changed movies in a very big way.

Care to explain?  I'm not trying to be dick.  I'm just not sure I agree, but accept I might be missing something.   
For me Avatar is the biggest grossing movie of all time, but even after a couple of years later it was pretty much forgotten, no real lasting legacy.   And 3D hasn't taken off the way it was expected too.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 06:45:55 AM »
For better or for worse Avatar changed movies in a very big way.

Care to explain?  I'm not trying to be dick.  I'm just not sure I agree, but accept I might be missing something.   
For me Avatar is the biggest grossing movie of all time, but even after a couple of years later it was pretty much forgotten, no real lasting legacy.   And 3D hasn't taken off the way it was expected too.

The facial mapping and realtime world generation in an open volume is pretty huge, I think. Without Cameron's tech, we wouldn't have gotten stuff like the new Planet of the Apes movies to look as good as they did. You'll see the tech used more and more when time goes on. I know Clint Eastwood is interested in doing a movie with it. It would allow him to play himself in all different periods of his life without using all the unique motions and facial expressions that make him Clint Eastwood.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 09:36:31 AM »

I consider Hugo even better than Avatar. But yes, Avatar's 3D was very good (it was my first movie in 3D) and absolutely worthy.

I don't even care for 3D movies anymore, when a movie I'm interested in comes out, the 3D is the last thing I'll think of.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 10:11:18 AM »

I consider Hugo even better than Avatar. But yes, Avatar's 3D was very good (it was my first movie in 3D) and absolutely worthy.

I don't even care for 3D movies anymore, when a movie I'm interested in comes out, the 3D is the last thing I'll think of.

Hugo did a really good job with the effects. I think I remember reading an interview with James Cameron where he said Hugo was the best example of the technology he's seen. I saw that in theaters twice, and it looked great, but for some reason it didn't translate well to the home setup. Avatar looks great in 3D whether in the theater of in your living room, IMO.