Author Topic: Help Me Find This Band  (Read 637 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Help Me Find This Band
« on: June 26, 2017, 08:51:29 PM »
OK, backstory. Years ago (more than a decade, I think), my uncle gave me and my siblings some CDs of music he had. None of them were labeled with artists or albums or song names, but since we didn't really know any bands I guess that didn't matter too much. There were a lot of good songs on the discs, and they got a lot of play from us for a while. Then we started developing our own tastes, and buying our own music and so on and the discs went wherever it is that things disappear to when you're not thinking about them.

One of the songs was 'Carry On My Wayward Son.' I had listened to it, liked it, and then promptly forgotten about it for a while. After hearing that Kansas had done the song originally, and thus assuming that was the version I had heard, I looked it up on Youtube.

Alas! Calamity struck, and the Kansas version was not the version that was on the CD. The disc itself had gone missing, so I spent a lot of time searching 'Carry On My Wayward Son cover' on Youtube, and finding a lot of neat covers but ultimately never finding the version I heard originally.

Today, the CD was finally found, and I have acquired the song again. I dunno if it's just bias because I heard this one first, or maybe the more metal-oriented guitar wank is just up my alley, but this is by far my favorite version. I'm still curious who the band is that does this version, so I thought maybe the knowledgeable folks on this website might be able to help me out.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW7iWnYOsFI

Thanks for any help!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
Re: Help Me Find This Band
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 09:07:45 PM »
Found it. It's a cover by Yngwie Malmsteen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XQeBM53NdU

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 09:11:26 PM »
Ha, that explains the guitar wank.

Thank you! A problem that plagued me for ages was just solved in minutes. The lesson here is to never doubt DTF.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 09:12:27 PM »
Glad I could help  :tup

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?