Author Topic: Arcade Fire thread - v. Everything Now (2017) - anti-suicide disco anthem!  (Read 1435 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
New thread with the new album coming out.

First song released two weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC30BYR3CUk

Second song released last week, a sort of disco pop anti-suicide anthem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzwicesJQ7E&t=196s 

Love both songs, especially Creature Comfort, which is a great accomplishment lyrically.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
This will probably results in more crickets  :lol :lol :lol - where did the Arcade Fire fans go?? - but the new album is now out.

Offline NoseofNicko

I wouldn't call myself a big fan, but Funeral is a really good album.

Not sure I'm gonna give a listen to the new album, I heard it's pretty bad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Out of curiosity, where did you hear that?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The album just came out today and it already has 945 ratings?  Sounds like people had knee jerk rating issues. ;) :lol

Early on, there are definitely some clunker songs on it, but the first three songs they released from it (Everything Now, Creature Comfort and Signs of Life) are all dynamite, and some of the songs near the end are pretty nice. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
A while back I was crashing at my cousin's in California and we're watching a video compilation of all the bands playing Coachella that year. Their live clip was outstanding. They were really tearing it up on stage. When I got home I looked them up and couldn't find a single song I didn't think was awful. Even other performances of whatever song I had seen left me lacking. I figured "eh, strange," and immediately relegated them to the 1 moment wonder category.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
They played the Garden in Boston last year. I heard the commercial on the radio and thought, who the F is Arcade Fire?

I literally had never heard of them, and here they are playing arenas.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
A while back I was crashing at my cousin's in California and we're watching a video compilation of all the bands playing Coachella that year. Their live clip was outstanding. They were really tearing it up on stage. When I got home I looked them up and couldn't find a single song I didn't think was awful. Even other performances of whatever song I had seen left me lacking. I figured "eh, strange," and immediately relegated them to the 1 moment wonder category.

:lol :lol I can sorta see that.  Their albums rarely "sound" great. As much as I love Funeral, their debut, it doesn't sound great.  The previous record, Reflektor, sounded atrocious (bass cranked too high, muddy, etc.).

They played the Garden in Boston last year. I heard the commercial on the radio and thought, who the F is Arcade Fire?

I literally had never heard of them, and here they are playing arenas.

I rarely run into anyone who has heard of them.  It's a weird thing.  :lol :lol

Offline NoseofNicko

The album just came out today and it already has 945 ratings?  Sounds like people had knee jerk rating issues. ;) :lol

Early on, there are definitely some clunker songs on it, but the first three songs they released from it (Everything Now, Creature Comfort and Signs of Life) are all dynamite, and some of the songs near the end are pretty nice.

The album leaked a while ago I think.

Alright I'm gonna listen to those 3 songs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Cool.

I will admit that I am a bit stunned at how bland some of the deep tracks are on it.  There are countless albums where the deep tracks kick the shit out of the singles.  This album seems to be a rare case of "singles great, deep cuts not."

Offline NoseofNicko

Those 3 songs remind me of ABBA and Bowie. Not bad.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Cool.

I will admit that I am a bit stunned at how bland some of the deep tracks are on it.  There are countless albums where the deep tracks kick the shit out of the singles.  This album seems to be a rare case of "singles great, deep cuts not."

That's sounds akin to the comments I was seeing on various reviews.

I've only heard the title track and it really sounded like Bowie to me. Need to give the album a proper spin. Doesn't seem to be a middle-ground for people though. The only opinions I've seen seem to either be "fantastic album, one of AF's best" and "this is the worst thing they've ever done, absolute garbage" so I'm intrigued.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Zoom E

I think I'm not going to bother with the new album" unless I go to see them on this tour, in which case you get a copy of the CD with your ticket.

i'm very fond of The Suburbs, though I haven't listened to it in quite some time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Put Your Money On Me is the other standout song for me so far, along with those three, NoseofNicko.  I love that tune already (even if that keyboard rhythm totally rips off Depeche Mode's Policy of Truth :lol).

It's a bizarre album.  Some songs are so good, and then some are so not good.   :lol

i'm very fond of The Suburbs, though I haven't listened to it in quite some time.

I still like that album quite a bit (not as much as the first two), although they could have whacked a handful of songs and made it much more concise.