Author Topic: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions  (Read 68186 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions
« Reply #805 on: May 15, 2018, 09:13:25 PM »
Raptors be like  :facepalm:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #806 on: May 15, 2018, 09:29:37 PM »
Now to get 1 in Cleveland.

I wouldn't mind both, lol  :lol

My wish is that it goes to a game 7, and both teams lose.

A man can dream..
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #807 on: May 15, 2018, 09:32:15 PM »

No, it is more like Raptors FANS be like...  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #808 on: May 15, 2018, 09:39:57 PM »

No, it is more like Raptors FANS be like...  :lol

Both... where the hell was that awful shooting from the Cavs last week!?!?!?  Take away LeBron's 55% FG%, and the rest of the team was 41%.  :zeltar:  Don't tell me it was all the Cs defense that earned that shooting %.

It would seem that the Cavs blew their load against the Raps.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #809 on: May 16, 2018, 06:08:15 AM »
As much as it pains me to say this, I am excited to see if Boston can legitimately challenge Golden State next year. A lineup of Irving / Brown / Hayward / Tatum / Horford is perhaps a tad small but extremely talented. Health is obviously a major concern, but that could be good series.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #810 on: May 16, 2018, 08:24:22 AM »
Sure, he is polarizing, but, again, find me an NBA superstar in the 21st century, aside from Tim Duncan, who isn't.

He is not polarizing because he is an NBA superstar.  He is polarizing because he is obnoxious.

And as for NBA superstars who are not:  for example, Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis (I was going to add Klay Thompson, but despite his abilities, I think he is maybe too much of the silent background killer to have the "superstar" persona).

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: May 16, 2018, 08:34:40 AM »
Durant? Really? You don't have social media evidently.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #812 on: May 16, 2018, 08:37:04 AM »
Durant is definitely obnoxious. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #813 on: May 16, 2018, 08:51:32 AM »
No, I don't pay much attention to social media.  I'll take your word for it on Durant.  I haven't seen that myself and wasn't aware.  I have always seen him speak very highly of others or, at the very least, avoid speaking negatively when the media has tried to bait him into doing so and he might be justified in doing so.  And I have seen him spoken of pretty highly by others as well.  I guess, come to think of it, he did become somewhat of a by-word to OKC who felt like he was a traitor for leaving.  Okay, even though Durant is a class act toward...well, pretty much everybody, I'll give you that one.  But still, plenty of other examples we could look to, two obvious ones of which I mention above.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: May 16, 2018, 09:09:59 AM »
I guess, come to think of it, he did become somewhat of a by-word to OKC who felt like he was a traitor for leaving.

There's that, and the way he conducts in social media with fans which has been pretty bad. Also, remember when one comedian made a joke about some college football team being so good that Durant was thinking of joining them? His reaction to that was also pretty lame.

Curry and AD I would agree are guys that seem pretty cool and I don't thing have done anything bad. I do know some people who resent Curry a little bit but it's because of the KD situation which he is in no way responsible for. Those people are idiots if you ask me

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #815 on: May 16, 2018, 10:07:18 AM »
I have always thought highly of Durant, but that changed this season. It started with some social media gaffes. Then he became the league leader in ejections. Then I listened to a podcast with Bill Simmons where Durant was basically drunk and/or unintelligible the whole time. I think that the backlash from going to Golden State really affected him, which I understand, but he should probably calm down a bit.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:31:00 AM by TheOutlawXanadu »

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #816 on: May 16, 2018, 03:00:56 PM »
Becky Hammon is to interview for the Bucks head coaching job. I hope it happens, even though personally I wish she would take over for Pop when he retires.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #817 on: May 16, 2018, 03:10:39 PM »
She has to be better than Tyronn Lue.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #818 on: May 16, 2018, 06:58:52 PM »
Too late, it looks like the Bucks just hired former Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/05/16/milwaukee-bucks-hire-former-hawks-coach-mike-budenholzer/617702002/
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #819 on: May 16, 2018, 07:01:48 PM »

His persona completely changed about 4-5 years ago where he went from the nice guy to the guy who seemed angry and pissy all the time.  And in a podcast with Bill Simmons a few months back, he laughed at how people thought the Kevin Durant who accepted the MVP award years ago (when he cried and appeared humble) was the "real" Kevin Durant, when, in fact, the current one is the real one (his words).  In other words, "people bought my nice guy act and I am laughing at them now."

The sad thing for Durant is, he is a tremendous player, but likely will never get his full due now since whatever rings he wins will have that "he had to jump on the bandwagon of a 73-win team that had already won a title to get them" asterisk next to it.  But hey, I am sure he knew that ahead of time and is fine with how things are playing out.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #820 on: May 17, 2018, 06:32:38 AM »

His persona completely changed about 4-5 years ago where he went from the nice guy to the guy who seemed angry and pissy all the time.  And in a podcast with Bill Simmons a few months back, he laughed at how people thought the Kevin Durant who accepted the MVP award years ago (when he cried and appeared humble) was the "real" Kevin Durant, when, in fact, the current one is the real one (his words).  In other words, "people bought my nice guy act and I am laughing at them now."

The sad thing for Durant is, he is a tremendous player, but likely will never get his full due now since whatever rings he wins will have that "he had to jump on the bandwagon of a 73-win team that had already won a title to get them" asterisk next to it.  But hey, I am sure he knew that ahead of time and is fine with how things are playing out.

In my opinion, the bigger problem with going to Golden State is that it limits what he needs to do as a basketball player; therefore, he simply doesn't contribute as much value as he's capable of contributing. This year has been a really good example. During the regular season, the whole team got bored because they basically only play for June now, so Durant had a very ho-hum campaign. He'll probably make All-NBA Second Team, which is great, but nowhere near what he's capable of. Thus far in the playoffs, I would subjectively deem his "great game to decent game" ratio at like 1:3. LeBron is at like 2:1 or something absurd.

Chances are, the Warriors make the Finals, at which point Durant turns it on and averages 40 PPG en route to a championship. But it will feel pretty hollow considering he has been so uninspiring for the 90% of the season leading up to that point.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #821 on: May 17, 2018, 11:05:50 AM »
^ I'm as much a Durant "hater" as anyone, and I don't disagree his regular season (and the Warriors' in general) was a bit uninspired -- BUT -- one could also argue that being in GS has allowed Durant to grow in ways that would not have happened in OKC: namely his off ball work as a part of a motion offense and his defense, both of which have improved and are more consistent.

I get what you're saying, though, in that he doesn't have to "LeBron" it every game for GS to win: Steph or Klay can go off instead. However, when he does LeBron it, they're still virtually unbeatable, assuming health, of course.

One interesting sub-plot to the WCF will be how healthy Steph can get. IMO he never got completely right in 2016, and it contributed to the them taking the L against the Cavs that season. No excuses: injuries are part of the game -- but we may see Durant have to step it up if Steph can't regularly get back to his peak form.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #822 on: May 17, 2018, 08:01:10 PM »
A change of topic... so Luka Doncic won't commit to playing in the NBA next season. Can someone enlighten me on this whole "declaring for the draft" thingy, especially for foreign players. I mean, if you ain't ready / willing to play in the US next season or two, why bother declaring?
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #823 on: May 18, 2018, 05:49:17 AM »
NBA 2018 Award Nominees

Kia NBA Most Valuable Player

- Anthony Davis, New Orleans Pelicans
- James Harden, Houston Rockets
- LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers

Kia NBA Rookie of the Year

- Donovan Mitchell, Utah Jazz
- Ben Simmons, Philadelphia 76ers
- Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics

Kia NBA Sixth Man Award

- Eric Gordon, Houston Rockets
- Fred VanVleet, Toronto Raptors
- Lou Williams, LA Clippers

Kia NBA Defensive Player of the Year

- Joel Embiid, Philadelphia 76ers
- Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz

Kia NBA Most Improved Player

- Clint Capela, Houston Rockets
- Spencer Dinwiddie, Brooklyn Nets
- Victor Oladipo, Indiana Pacers

NBA Coach of the Year

- Dwane Casey, Toronto Raptors
- Quin Snyder, Utah Jazz
- Brad Stevens, Boston Celtics

My Picks:
- L. James (MVP)
- B. Simmons (ROY)
- L. Williams (6th Man)
- J. Embiid (Defensive Player)
- V. Oladipo (Most Improved)
- B. Stevens (Coach)
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: May 18, 2018, 06:39:17 AM »
A change of topic... so Luka Doncic won't commit to playing in the NBA next season. Can someone enlighten me on this whole "declaring for the draft" thingy, especially for foreign players. I mean, if you ain't ready / willing to play in the US next season or two, why bother declaring?

There are 2 things regarding what he said:
1) He is currently playing so it makes sense that he would say what he said since he needs to concentrate on today's Euroleague semifinal. If he says he's thinking about going to the NBA it sends the wrong kind of message to his teammates.
2) Since he is currently under contract and several teams in Europe would be willing to pay him handsomely, he can basically wait and see who drafts him and then decide what to do. I guess he would jump in if Phoenix picks him since that's an interesting young team and they just hired his national team coach. However, if let's say, Sacramento were to pick him then he might decide to stay in Europe a little longer until the Kings trade his draft rights to some other team that has more promise.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #825 on: May 18, 2018, 07:26:21 AM »
Teams as incompetent as the Kings should be banned from getting a high draft pick. I'm pretty sure they would even screw up Michael Jordan's career if he came into the NBA today. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #826 on: May 18, 2018, 07:09:34 PM »
NBA 2018 Award Nominees

Kia NBA Most Valuable Player

- James Harden, Houston Rockets
- LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers

Kia NBA Rookie of the Year

- Donovan Mitchell, Utah Jazz
- Ben Simmons, Philadelphia 76ers
- Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics

Kia NBA Sixth Man Award

- Eric Gordon, Houston Rockets
- Fred VanVleet, Toronto Raptors
- Lou Williams, LA Clippers

Kia NBA Defensive Player of the Year

- Joel Embiid, Philadelphia 76ers
- Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz

Kia NBA Most Improved Player

- Clint Capela, Houston Rockets
- Spencer Dinwiddie, Brooklyn Nets
- Victor Oladipo, Indiana Pacers

NBA Coach of the Year

- Dwane Casey, Toronto Raptors
- Quin Snyder, Utah Jazz
- Brad Stevens, Boston Celtics

My Picks:
- L. James (MVP)
- B. Simmons (ROY)
- L. Williams (6th Man)
- J. Embiid (Defensive Player)
- V. Oladipo (Most Improved)
- B. Stevens (Coach)

Winners of these kinds of awards often make me wince, but NBA ones are often the worst.

Consider that Steve Nash was the regular season MVP as many times as Shaq and Kobe were COMBINED. :lol :lol

And Mike D'Antoni has been Coach of the Year twice as many times as Phil Jackson. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #827 on: May 18, 2018, 07:12:44 PM »
I'd vote Donovan Mitchell for ROY.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #828 on: May 18, 2018, 07:13:17 PM »
Winners of these kinds of awards often make me wince, but NBA ones are often the worst.

Consider that Steve Nash was the regular season MVP as many times as Shaq and Kobe were COMBINED. :lol :lol

And Mike D'Antoni has been Coach of the Year twice as many times as Phil Jackson. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Hey, no argument from me there.

Let's face it though, sports related awards are usually partly based on season performance and partly a glorified popularity contest. While we are at it, why not have a little fun.  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #829 on: May 20, 2018, 06:19:58 AM »
Celtics WTF??

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #830 on: May 20, 2018, 06:43:22 AM »
now you know how it feels.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #831 on: May 20, 2018, 06:54:21 AM »
Makes you wonder when we'll actually get a good game in the conference finals that goes down to the wire. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #832 on: May 20, 2018, 07:52:16 AM »
Not surprising.   We'll see Monday.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #833 on: May 21, 2018, 10:57:53 AM »
I just want Boston to win man, getting tired of seeing the Cavs in the finals. We need some new blood from the East.

The blood from the west is just fine thank you very much go Dubs.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: May 21, 2018, 11:19:50 AM »
 :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: May 21, 2018, 11:31:48 AM »
Don't you worry RJ.  Fans will want you blood from the West soon enough. :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #836 on: May 21, 2018, 12:06:52 PM »
 :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: May 21, 2018, 01:24:54 PM »
That's not the real Deathstar.

Bill Belichick is not in it. ;D

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #838 on: May 21, 2018, 05:11:41 PM »
Oh we're gonna have some fun if it comes down to Dubs-Celtics my friend...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: May 21, 2018, 05:43:54 PM »
Oh we're gonna have some fun if it comes down to Dubs-Celtics my friend...

I expect the Dubs to win.  I'm just happy missing out 2 best players that we've got this far.