Author Topic: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions  (Read 68142 times)

Offline T-ski

Re: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions
« Reply #175 on: August 23, 2017, 02:14:19 PM »
Bucks are ridiculously dangerous. I know from past discussions (now that I think about it) that Monroe is thought to be better off the bench, but I like him as a starter. If that bench develops, and the Greek Freak continues to ascend, Milwaukee is going to shock a lot of people who haven't been paying attention. I fully expect them to go deep in the playoffs this year if they are healthy.

When is that new arena opening? Next season?

yep, new arena start of 2018 season.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #176 on: August 23, 2017, 06:31:50 PM »
Jae Crowder's mom passed away yesterday from cancer.  I can only imagine what he's going through right now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2017, 06:35:16 PM »
Jae Crowder's mom passed away yesterday from cancer.  I can only imagine what he's going through right now.

Oh shit!

I freaking love Jae Crowder.

So between my kids and I, we all have jerseys of guys no longer here. My kids have Thomas and Bradley, and I have a Crowder shirt. :facepalm:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #178 on: August 23, 2017, 08:24:34 PM »
If you were on the Celtics' roster last season, is anyone in your family actually safe?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #179 on: August 23, 2017, 08:33:12 PM »
This off season has been ridiculous. On what planet does a #1 Seed * get blown up?

Truth is, that roster was maxed out. I think they were willing to go max with Isaiah even though the end of his next contract could be ugly. Kyrie kind of fell in their laps, so it's really a no brainer at that point.

The Celts team had become beloved in this town because they were selfless and overachieving. And Isaiah became an iconic sports figure in this city. His season was one to behold. he was breathtaking. Especially through the playoffs. He made plays that were amazing, and he put that team on his back. I feel bad for him, because he truly seemed to love it here. And the town loved him.

Because of Lebron, the Cavs have to be the team to beat, but this move is for the next 3-f years.

* Cuz the Cavs let them...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2017, 08:39:27 AM »
Lebron is gone after this year in Cleveland. There is no way he stays. He hates Dan Gilbert, won a title in Cleveland, and wants to assemble some sort of super team. And I know it is a long shot, but I have a feeling it is going to happen. The question is...where?

I look at the Lakers, and that...it makes sense and it doesn't. Personally, I think both PG 13 and Westbrook are headed to the Lakers as a combo next year. I think Westbrook can opt-out, and PG 13 is a FA. Imagine those two teaming up with Ball and Ingram. So I can't see a Lebron-led "super team" happening there.

The next place that comes to mind is...strangely, Miami. With Bosh off the books, and Wade needing to reconcile with Riley, and some other roster flexibility, imagine James being able to bring himself, Wade, CP3 and Carmelo to Miami for a run. Wade will at best, a sixth man at that point, which will suit him and his balky knees. Lebron will still be a 20-8-8 guy, CP3 still a legit 15-10, and Carmelo will be an 18 ppg guy. And Whiteside plays center. It would be Miami v. Boston for a couple of years.

Plus, while all those guys would need to play on cheaper contracts -- there's no state income tax in Florida, so they do save quite a bit. If they all took say...15 million, you'd have 60 million wrapped up in them, 20 million in Whiteside, and then fill out the rest of the roster. It's totally doable if my memory is right on Miami's expiring deals.

From a storytelling and legacy side, it repairs Wade's connection with the Heat and Riley, it also heals the wounds of Lebron leaving them, gives CP3 and Carmelo the best shot of getting to the NBA finals, and lets Whiteside take on more of a role as he is ready (he is very young even though he's been in the league a few years now).

But even if it is NOT Miami, I just know that some how, some way, Lebron, Wade, Carmelo and CP3 are going to play together. And it isn't going to be in Cleveland.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2017, 09:04:51 AM »
Lebron is gone after this year in Cleveland. There is no way he stays. He hates Dan Gilbert, won a title in Cleveland, and wants to assemble some sort of super team. And I know it is a long shot, but I have a feeling it is going to happen. The question is...where?

I look at the Lakers, and that...it makes sense and it doesn't. Personally, I think both PG 13 and Westbrook are headed to the Lakers as a combo next year. I think Westbrook can opt-out, and PG 13 is a FA. Imagine those two teaming up with Ball and Ingram. So I can't see a Lebron-led "super team" happening there.

The next place that comes to mind is...strangely, Miami. With Bosh off the books, and Wade needing to reconcile with Riley, and some other roster flexibility, imagine James being able to bring himself, Wade, CP3 and Carmelo to Miami for a run. Wade will at best, a sixth man at that point, which will suit him and his balky knees. Lebron will still be a 20-8-8 guy, CP3 still a legit 15-10, and Carmelo will be an 18 ppg guy. And Whiteside plays center. It would be Miami v. Boston for a couple of years.

Plus, while all those guys would need to play on cheaper contracts -- there's no state income tax in Florida, so they do save quite a bit. If they all took say...15 million, you'd have 60 million wrapped up in them, 20 million in Whiteside, and then fill out the rest of the roster. It's totally doable if my memory is right on Miami's expiring deals.

From a storytelling and legacy side, it repairs Wade's connection with the Heat and Riley, it also heals the wounds of Lebron leaving them, gives CP3 and Carmelo the best shot of getting to the NBA finals, and lets Whiteside take on more of a role as he is ready (he is very young even though he's been in the league a few years now).

But even if it is NOT Miami, I just know that some how, some way, Lebron, Wade, Carmelo and CP3 are going to play together. And it isn't going to be in Cleveland.

If I were LBJ, and if the Lakers scenario doesn't work out, I would actually look at the 76ers instead of Miami instead. The 76ers are in the east, plus they have a TON of talented young players to surround himself that, the Heat can't offer LBJ. Imagine the 76ers with LBJ on the roster. That team suddenly becomes a contender overnight!
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2017, 10:19:12 AM »
If I were LBJ, and if the Lakers scenario doesn't work out, I would actually look at the 76ers instead of Miami instead. The 76ers are in the east, plus they have a TON of talented young players to surround himself that, the Heat can't offer LBJ. Imagine the 76ers with LBJ on the roster. That team suddenly becomes a contender overnight!

Well, I playoff contender, yes.  But I don't think they'd be a legitimate championship contender.  At least, not without adding another couple of pieces in addition to LeBron.  76ers+LBJ still isn't enough to beat the top 3 teams in the west, IMO. 

But as far as this coming year, the Cavs suddenly look scary again.  Despite losing Kyrie, I think they are the absolute winners in this trade in the short run.   I think Boston wins that trade in the long run because I think they can consistently contend with what they are building around.  But for this season coming up, I think the Cavs are going to be REALLY tough to beat.  If Thomas can stay healthy, I think he will really thrive with having things opened up for him by LeBron and Love.  Barring injury, I will be shocked to not see Cleveland make it at least to the East Finals this year.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2017, 06:29:52 PM »
Barring injury, I will be shocked to not see Cleveland make it at least to the East Finals this year.

Way to go out on a limb there Bosky! :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #184 on: August 24, 2017, 06:47:17 PM »
What will be most interesting is if the Cavs decide to try and flip that Brooklyn pick at the trade deadline for, say, Paul George. If you're OKC, you know George is leaving anyway. Unless you're on pace for an incredible like 60 win season, that Brooklyn pick is certainly better long-term than one year of PG13. Who knows? Maybe there's some other disgruntled superstar, like a Boogie Cousins. I think the Cavs just might throw everything in one more time to make a real run, especially if LeBron seems like he might be leaving. I think adding a Paul George level wing defender is the only way they have a shot at Golden State.

On the other hand, if it seems LeBron might be out the door, maybe you're keeping the pick to jump-start the rebuild.

Interesting question: say you knew ahead of time that trading for PG would win you the title but also that both he and Lebron were leaving after the season. Do you take the title but have no pieces for the rebuild? Or do you keep the pick and hope you just get REALLY lucky against the Dubs?

I would take the title, but I could see the other side of the argument as well. Of course, in real life they have no way of knowing if such a gamble would pay off...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2017, 06:53:20 PM »
But as far as this coming year, the Cavs suddenly look scary again.  Despite losing Kyrie, I think they are the absolute winners in this trade in the short run.   I think Boston wins that trade in the long run because I think they can consistently contend with what they are building around.  But for this season coming up, I think the Cavs are going to be REALLY tough to beat.  If Thomas can stay healthy, I think he will really thrive with having things opened up for him by LeBron and Love.  Barring injury, I will be shocked to not see Cleveland make it at least to the East Finals this year.

Most people here feel the same way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #186 on: August 24, 2017, 07:08:47 PM »
Barring injury, I will be shocked to not see Cleveland make it at least to the East Finals this year.

:lol  Well, I wasn't trying to say anything profound.  I know it's fairly obvious.  I'm just commenting on how they are right back in position as the East favorites with a VERY late move when it looked like the team was imploding and might be on the ropes a few weeks ago.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #187 on: August 25, 2017, 08:52:19 AM »

:lol  Well, I wasn't trying to say anything profound.  I know it's fairly obvious.  I'm just commenting on how they are right back in position as the East favorites with a VERY late move when it looked like the team was imploding and might be on the ropes a few weeks ago.

Yea, you're totally right. Just giving you a hard time. I hope that they're challenged by the Celtics or anyone else in the East this year. Their series against my Raptors a couple of years ago wasn't as competitive as it felt and their series against Boston last year was an absolute joke. I'm ready for something more tightly contested.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #188 on: August 25, 2017, 09:29:22 PM »
Not so fast Boston... Cavs weighing options after evaluating Isaiah Thomas' hip following his physical

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/901281166191321089
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: October 03, 2017, 02:22:21 PM »
Well, the NBA is addressing the issue of the West being more loaded than the East (kind of) and are changing the format of the All Star Game
https://sports.yahoo.com/captains-will-now-pick-teams-nbas-revamped-star-game-format-192511244.html

Truth is, I haven't watched the ASG in a while now so this really doesn't change anything for me. I think on top of that they should change the voting system and get rid of voting for east and west since now you'll have bad players in there. Well, given that Gortat has been an All Star in the past I should say you'll get even worse players...
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #190 on: October 03, 2017, 02:31:57 PM »
I think this is silly, honestly. So, the captains pick the teams of the fan-voted guys. Woo.

Snore...

Lebron -- "I pick Wade, Anthony, and CP3. Fuck Kyrie."

Steph - "I pick Durant, Klay, Green. And my wife picks Westbrook. Woo."

ZZZ...ZZZ...ZZZ.

This isn't the way to fix the all star game. The way to fix it is to have it mean something. Winning team take-all, 150 million. 15 guys per squad. Cash is king. They'd play, and play hard. You have it sponsored by a handful of huge companies.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #191 on: October 03, 2017, 02:33:23 PM »
I honestly don't have an issue with it the way it is, or any of the other sports. A cash bonus? That's fine. I like that. Much better than what baseball did.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: October 04, 2017, 06:20:28 AM »
Well, the team that wins will donate money to a charity of their choosing so that's an incentive. And their rationale is that by guys playing with their "friends" things might get interesting. Also, can you imagine Lebron and KD being captains, Lebron picking Westbrook, KD picking Kyrie? That would stir things up in an interesting way

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #193 on: October 04, 2017, 03:32:56 PM »
It would be nice if Adam Silver sat down with the players, told them to play semi-respectable ball, and everyone listened. Unfortunately, things are never quite that simple. While this new format will improve the game in some ways, it will still probably be a completely unwatchable dunk-fest. :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: October 05, 2017, 10:47:59 AM »
It would be nice if Adam Silver sat down with the players, told them to play semi-respectable ball, and everyone listened. Unfortunately, things are never quite that simple. While this new format will improve the game in some ways, it will still probably be a completely unwatchable dunk-fest. :lol

They actually did that after last year's game. The players said they would put more effort into it this time. We´ll have to wait and see if that's true.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #195 on: October 07, 2017, 09:22:05 PM »

Apparently all Silver needs to do is make it a rule, then send a memo reminding everyone about it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #196 on: October 08, 2017, 11:41:02 AM »

Apparently all Silver needs to do is make it a rule, then send a memo reminding everyone about it.

That whole lottery reform situation was super sketch. I was listening to a podcast with Zach Lowe and Jeff Van Gundy the other day, and they basically said that a ton of teams actually opposed the league's proposal, but they voted for it anyway because they were afraid of blowback. Call me naive, but it shouldn't work that way. Teams shouldn't be afraid to vote truthfully. :police:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #197 on: October 17, 2017, 08:53:04 AM »
Looking forward to opening night tonight.  A couple of great games for what may very well end up being the final four come this Spring. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #198 on: October 17, 2017, 09:21:49 AM »
Definitely.

Sucks not having Isiah playing. Has anything definitive been said on Lebron's status?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: October 17, 2017, 10:54:09 AM »
Definitely.

Sucks not having Isiah playing. Has anything definitive been said on Lebron's status?

Good enough for ya?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #200 on: October 17, 2017, 12:14:42 PM »
That. Is. Amazing.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #201 on: October 17, 2017, 01:02:09 PM »
Go Milwaukee Antetokounmpos!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #202 on: October 17, 2017, 01:15:06 PM »
Not that anyone puts a ton of stock into power rankings, especially before a single regular season game has been played, but did anyone notice how high the Wolves are ranked?  ESPN has them at #9 overall and #4 in the east.  I hope they can live up to that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #203 on: October 17, 2017, 06:27:02 PM »
 :omg:

OUCH!

:omg: :omg: :omg:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: October 17, 2017, 06:28:39 PM »
There goes the Celtics season.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #205 on: October 17, 2017, 06:41:02 PM »
That is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen in sports.  My God.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #206 on: October 17, 2017, 06:44:35 PM »
As gruesome a sports injury as you'll see, This was the basketball version of Joe Theisman.

It makes Lebron's foot up the Celtics ass not seem quite so bad.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: October 17, 2017, 07:04:24 PM »
As gruesome a sports injury as you'll see, This was the basketball version of Joe Theisman.

Not sure I want to see a replay of that.  Yikes.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #208 on: October 17, 2017, 07:06:49 PM »
You don't. I was actually going to rewind it and post a pic, but I had switched over to the baseball game.

Edit. The Internet FTW!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: October 17, 2017, 07:13:57 PM »
On Twitter they have the reaction from the Cavaliers bench when they see the injury and they all turn away in disgust it's actually scary.