Author Topic: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions  (Read 68119 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions
« on: June 15, 2017, 10:53:36 PM »
The NBA media and its fans seem fairly close to considering this team the champs for at least the next 2-3 years without any legit chance of anyone stopping them. Obviously injuries, the free agent market, and other teams' improvements can affect this but aside from the Cavs and Spurs, the rest of the NBA appears to be a serious step behind them.

The Celtics and Rockets are probably the next closest teams with a chance to contend but they don't scare me in the least at the moment. If Isaiah Thomas can stay healthy, the C's have a great chance to make it back to the ECF and possibly knock off the Cavs if they get complacent or for whatever other reason don't play up to their potential. I think that a full-strength Cavs playing to their full potential, however, easily dispatches of them next season no matter what they do unless they pull something crazy and get a huge name in free agency but I'm not even aware of anyone huge being up for grabs this offseason (didn't research that so fill me in if I'm wrong.)

As for the west, the Rockets are the only remote threat to the Warriors/Spurs stranglehold on the conference. If Kawhi stays healthy, you can almost bet the farm on them getting 60 wins and either a 1 or 2 seed. The Warriors show no signs of slowing down either and have validated their strength as a team to the point where people were pondering whether or not they were the greatest team ever despite being 6 games worse than their previous season. Kinda reminds me of the current Spurs and Doc Rivers era Celtics in that they were confident enough in their postseason experience to not stress racking up the highest possible win total (though tying the 7th best regular season record is by no means a disappointment) as long as they stayed healthy and could floor it come April.

The unfortunate thing is that this makes the conversation about the potential 3-8 seeds in each conference a far less interesting conversation since it seems like there's a very minute chance of any of them making their conference's finals round let alone appearing in the finals or dare I say winning that.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 08:11:40 AM »
The NBA media and its fans seem fairly close to considering this team the champs for at least the next 2-3 years without any legit chance of anyone stopping them. Obviously injuries, the free agent market, and other teams' improvements can affect this but aside from the Cavs and Spurs, the rest of the NBA appears to be a serious step behind them.

That mindset is pretty typical after a championship, and that's pretty much true in every major sport.  Moreso when the team has had proven success over successive seasons like the Warriors have now had and are in a position to keep their key pieces in place like the Warriors now are.  Personally, I'd love to see them go on a three-peat run before this group starts to break up just because that is so rare and hard to do.  But I think they have the ability, talent, coaching, and playing style to do it. 

But as far as what other teams will do, hard to say.  The Spurs will be there because they have the players and coach that can make something happen.  I think the Celtics and Clippers will transform into completely different teams over the next few years, and they seem to have the will and the pieces in place to perhaps turn that into something successful.  And you never know when another team is going to put something together and rise up. 

All I can say for sure is, despite some SERIOUS organizational flaws at the highest levels, the NBA has become fun again over the last few years for the first time in a long time. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll also say, old thread here:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=47627.840

I locked it since Josh started this new one.  But some good discussion was still ongoing at the end on the last page.  If anyone wants to continue, feel free to copy/paste from that thread.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:34:47 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 09:04:51 AM »
How could you possibly start a new thread when the 2017 NBA Awards on TNT have yet to air? I'm really not ready to move on until I've seen Drake announce "assist of the year."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 09:12:37 AM »
If the Celtics can manage to lure Gordon Hayward they might have a chance, same thing for the Spurs if they can somehow get CP3. The rest of the league doesn't stand a chance.
As far as the Cavs, I think they can do better with the same team if they change the way they play. As I said in the last thread they were doing waaaaay too much ISO and not getting the bench involved properly and were not getting the warriors tired on defense. Lebron spent half the season complaining about how they needed another playmaker, they went ahead and got Deron Williams and during the playoffs he was basically a guy who stood in the corner waiting for a 3. They would be better off with a good coach but since Lebron likes Lue I don't think that will change.
So yeah, I think the Dubs are in for a couple more championships before anyone can really contest.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 09:20:09 AM »
If the Celtics can manage to lure Gordon Hayward they might have a chance, same thing for the Spurs if they can somehow get CP3. The rest of the league doesn't stand a chance.
As far as the Cavs, I think they can do better with the same team if they change the way they play. As I said in the last thread they were doing waaaaay too much ISO and not getting the bench involved properly and were not getting the warriors tired on defense. Lebron spent half the season complaining about how they needed another playmaker, they went ahead and got Deron Williams and during the playoffs he was basically a guy who stood in the corner waiting for a 3. They would be better off with a good coach but since Lebron likes Lue I don't think that will change.
So yeah, I think the Dubs are in for a couple more championships before anyone can really contest.
What was really interesting in the last 2 games is that the Warriors were playing GREAT defense, and the Cavs were STILL scoring out of their minds.  I can't count how many times I would say, for example, Klay on Kyrie, LeBron, or whoever like a blanket, and he would play near-perfect defense and force them into a crazy shot, and they would STILL make the bucket.  Or J.R. Smith covered on the perimeter to the point where, if your name isn't Curry, you do NOT launch that 3-pointer--and he would throw it up and have it go in anyway.  There was a lot of that in the last 2 games.  The question is, no matter what they do, can they sustain that in an entire series against the Warriors?  If they can, I would give them a shot against anybody.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 09:52:57 AM »
But that's the thing, the Warriors were playing great 1 on 1 defense but were not getting tired. And imagine how Cleveland would fare if they played team basketball and in case that doesn't go you can still ISO and make impossible shots?
They need a new coach.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 10:38:43 AM »
But that's the thing, the Warriors were playing great 1 on 1 defense but were not getting tired. And imagine how Cleveland would fare if they played team basketball and in case that doesn't go you can still ISO and make impossible shots?
They need a new coach.

And above all LeBron cannot be their GM anymore.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 10:42:01 AM »
If the Celtics can manage to lure Gordon Hayward they might have a chance.

Talk is also Blake Griffin.  The problem with the C's is that they get out rebounded.  Two many second chances against the great teams and you see the result against the Cavs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 10:48:53 AM »
They need a new coach.

While I agree with everything you're saying, I also think that those improvements are band-aids for bullet wounds, so to speak. Despite their flaws, the Cavs were a great team this year, possibly even better than last year. They can make strategic changes and try to bolster their roster a bit, but as long as Golden State has four of the five best starters and the best bench player, it's going to be tough.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 11:04:58 AM »

Talk is also Blake Griffin.  The problem with the C's is that they get out rebounded.  Two many second chances against the great teams and you see the result against the Cavs.

Agreed, rebounding should be a concern for the Celtics but that doesn't mean you need to get bigger, just that you need to put more emphasis in not letting the other guys get rebounds so easily. Look at the dubs, they're small yet don't have a big problem with that. And I don't think Blake will make them better, I'd play Crowder as a stretch 4, Hordford at 5 and get rid of Amir Johnson

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 11:06:22 AM »
They need a new coach.

While I agree with everything you're saying, I also think that those improvements are band-aids for bullet wounds, so to speak. Despite their flaws, the Cavs were a great team this year, possibly even better than last year. They can make strategic changes and try to bolster their roster a bit, but as long as Golden State has four of the five best starters and the best bench player, it's going to be tough.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think are the main things the Cavs need to address?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 11:08:03 AM »

Agreed, rebounding should be a concern for the Celtics but that doesn't mean you need to get bigger, just that you need to put more emphasis in not letting the other guys get rebounds so easily. Look at the dubs, they're small yet don't have a big problem with that. And I don't think Blake will make them better, I'd play Crowder as a stretch 4, Hordford at 5 and get rid of Amir Johnson

Yeah,  Johnson needs to go.  brown has that athleticism to be a great rebounder but he needs time to mature.  The kid can jump!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 02:10:07 PM »
They need a new coach.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think are the main things the Cavs need to address?

I think that defense is their main concern. Maybe that means trying to trade Kevin Love for Paul George. Maybe it means flipping him for a couple of "three and D" players. If they can turn Shumpert into someone who actually plays defense, versus just having a defensive reputation, that would be nice. :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 02:56:38 PM »
Well, I think that's just a matter of coaching. Not everyone is good at playing defense and good teams can compensate having a guy that's not a great defender. Look at the Spurs, Parker has never been a good defender yet the rest of the team has always been able to rotate and cover for him because they defend as a team. The problem nowadays is that because the Warriors are a start studded team people are forgetting that they play great as a team, it's not just a collection of talent and think that by putting together a lot of good players you're automatically going to be a good team and that's just not true.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 02:57:14 PM »
I never liked the idea of CP3 coming to the Spurs. I guess this is me as a long time fan, seeing the drafted players that have come through that system, help win Championships, and succeed through development. Then I had this thought:

- Manu Ginobli still hasn't come out to say whether he is retiring or not. Even though he didn't have the numbers this season like he did 6 years ago, his presence on the court was uncanny (that block on James Harden this postseason is a classic). All season long, you saw him teaching and leading the up and comers like Jonathan Simmons and Dejounte Murray.

- Tony Parker had an on and off season, and who knows how much longer he has in the league. But he is the most important leader for that team. He gets people where they need to go. People talk about how Kawhi's injury was the reason why the Spurs got killed by the Warriors in the WCF. But no one talked about the role that Parker had, and how his injury also hurt the Spurs chances.

These veterans days are numbered. Pau Gasol as well. Losing these HOF's will be a huge blow. If we bring in CP3, it's not only to compete with GSW, but he's a veteran All-Star guard with more miles to go that can be a good role model and leader for the team. Plus, I think he can help spark LaMarcus Aldridge with some competitive gumption that was nowhere to be found most of this season.

Offline j

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 03:36:08 PM »
Quote from: bosk1
The last three posts nailed it.  Just a couple of things in response:

I agree with Samsara's overall point, except the point about "begging" Durant to come.  That isn't really accurate.  For reasons Azyiu pointed out, and others, Durant was already dissatisfied with OKC.  He was VERY seriously considering leaving no matter what.  The Warriors already knew this, and Curry and Green had been talking to him about it for the past three years.  Why pass up the opportunity on a free agent who is likely to go SOMEWHERE other than his current team?  They didn't "beg," but presented him with an opportunity to mutually benefit.  And it was a pretty unique opportunity.  Not only because he was going to a team that was already a prohibitive favorite, but because he was going to a team that is unique in its unselfish style of play to the point where he could come without largely diminishing either his own amount of touches or anyone else's.  And the proof is in the pudding that the experiment worked and wasn't merely lip service.  He fit right in because of the unique style of play of this team. 

As far as this somehow diminishing him as a competitor, I disagree with that as well.  As far as the examples given, the problem is that those are different situations.  Would Jordan have joined a rival team if the environment on the Bulls had become somewhat toxic and the front office showed little interest in developing and keeping a supporting cast around him?  We'll never know because it didn't happen.  But regardless, the environment wasn't good at OKC, and Durant wasn't happy.  Should someone stubbornly stay in a toxic environment and stay on a team that the front office has torpedoed and placed on a downward trajectory just to stay a competitor?  To me, that doesn't make sense. 

Also, consider the fact that Durant not only wanted to win, but he wanted to challenge LeBron.  He couldn't do that in OKC.  He just couldn't.  Again, going back to the front office not supporting building a strong enough team, the fact is that an OKC team couldn't challenge a LeBron-led team because the Cavs as a whole were much more stacked than OKC, which would have allowed the Cavs to disregard other OKC players and focus solely on RW and KD.  For him to truly go toe-to-toe with LeBron, he had to be on a team with the talent to spread the Cavs.  Yeah, he has an incredibly competitive nature.  But the team he was on would not have allowed him to express that in the way he wanted due to the dynamic of the Warriors/Cavs-led league.  He couldn't truly go at the one guy he views as his competitive rival in any meaningful way.  He changed the dynamic to make that happen.  And this year anyway, he came out on top. 

All in all, I think Azyiu hit it on the head.  Despite OKC managing to content this year even without KD, and despite them making and almost winning the WCC last year, they are and were a team on the decline and a team that, from my understanding, RW has made somewhat toxic.  If I were on that team, I'd have been looking for an exit as well.

Anyhow, I'm going to lock this thread since Josh has started a new one.  But if anyone wants to continue this discussion, feel free to copy/paste from here into that thread.

Just wanted to quickly respond to this bosk post from the old thread.

Fair point about the supposed "toxic" environment in OKC, but I never criticized Durant for leaving OKC.  I think that was certainly the right decision for him and for his career: they had a team with enough talent and all the pieces that they should have been a perennial title contender, but repeatedly fell disappointingly short every single year.  Seems many people blame the front office, perhaps rightly so.  I attribute most of those shortcomings to coaching, but that's another discussion.

Disagree with your second paragraph about "challenging LeBron."  First of all, in terms of talent, the Cavs were not remotely "much more stacked" than OKC; their rosters were actually very comparable.  The Cavs were a better TEAM I think, maybe not by the widest of margins, but the reality was that OKC would never have been able to get past GS to face them.  GS was the real insurmountable obstacle since 2014 or 2015.

Had he joined ANY other team, it could be argued that he went somewhere that couldn't make it to the next level without him, and earned success by coming in and toppling one of the giants who were formerly unbeatable.  But instead, he joined the best team in the league, already well-equipped to face and beat LeBron's team annually, and surprise...they won again.  Even from a "Durant versus LeBron" perspective, and even considering his great performance in some of the playoff games, how can a TRULY competitive individual think that he really got the best of him, going about it in such a way?

In truth, Durant is not on LeBron's level and never has been, nor is any other active player.  He's great, for sure, one of the very best scorers in the game right now.  But he remains among the Westbrooks, Hardens, etc of the league: while very good company to be mentioned alongside, none of them are actually LeBron's "rival" as an all-around individual player, regardless of how they may see themselves.

-J

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »
Fair enough.  I disagree, but that's fine.  I get where you are coming from.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 04:03:35 PM »
Would be interesting to see CP3 go to the Spurs this summer, and then Lebron join them after next year. Chris Paul, LBJ, Kawhi, and Pop; I think that team could def go toe-to-toe with Golden State.

As for next years Cavs, #1 priority is getting someone who can really defend Kevin Durant. Can they swing a trade for PG or Jimmy Butler? Anything less than that doesn't move the needle for the Cavs.

And while KD isn't quite on LeBron's level, he is in a category above the Westbrooks and Hardens and maybe even Steph because of how he's impacting the game on both ends. In fact, I'd put him and Kawhi a small step down from LeBron but above the rest... although only slightly above Curry.

I do wonder, though, how Lebron will age... will he ever accept not being the best player on a still championship squad, or will he go the Kobe route?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 04:18:34 PM »
I do wonder, though, how Lebron will age... will he ever accept not being the best player on a still championship squad, or will he go the Kobe route?

He is incredibly self-absorbed and narcissistic.  But not in the way that is usual for athletes of his caliber.  He appears to have no problem sharing or yielding the spotlight if it ultimately helps him and his team win.  I would be surprised if he didn't shop himself around to be on championship contenders until the end of his career, even if he has to somewhat take a backseat to other players that may have surpassed him by then. 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 08:16:25 AM »
In truth, Durant is not on LeBron's level and never has been, nor is any other active player.  He's great, for sure, one of the very best scorers in the game right now.  But he remains among the Westbrooks, Hardens, etc of the league: while very good company to be mentioned alongside, none of them are actually LeBron's "rival" as an all-around individual player, regardless of how they may see themselves.

I agree. Durant is an unbelievable player. It's actually a shame that it took this year's Finals for a lot of people to realize that. He's one of the best I've ever seen. And I like his confidence. You need that. But he is not on LeBron's level, at least career-wise. Even just looking at this year, LeBron was probably the more valuable player overall because Durant missed so many games. I also think a strong case could be made for Curry still being the Warriors' best player.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:24:55 AM by TheOutlawXanadu »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 10:05:43 AM »
It gets tricky comparing Curry and Durant because they are such different players that fill such different roles.  Sure, they have a lot of skills that overlap.  But still, they are just different.  Each is incredibly valuable at his position and has different tools that benefit the team, and having both sets of tools to draw from is such an amazing asset.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2017, 09:12:29 PM »
Looks like the 76ers / Celtics picks swap is going to happen. With this year's #3 + 2 first rounders from next year (via Lakers and Kings), it looks like the C's will stay very competitive in the long run. That's scary.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19665119/boston-celtics-philadelphia-76ers-agree-swap-nos-1-3-draft-picks
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 04:11:57 AM »
8 - #1 picks with one protected from the Lakers.  Sound like some will be flipped for Butler or George.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 06:17:42 AM »
8 - #1 picks with one protected from the Lakers.  Sound like some will be flipped for Butler or George.

That's what I've been reading. It would seem they're not confident that they can get Hayward, or that they think that won't be enough to compete against the Cavs. What I do wonder is who they'll pick at #3. Wouldn't make a lot of sense to pick Josh Jackson if they'll go for Butler and have Jaylen Brown on the bench, I'm guessing they might go for Fox as a backup for IT

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 05:18:04 AM »
Love that the Sixers moved up to get into position to take Fultz. Sixers have a chance to be really good really soon.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 09:20:47 AM »
Love that the Sixers moved up to get into position to take Fultz. Sixers have a chance to be really good really soon.

They really do. If Simmons and Embid can stay healthy, and that team gels with Fultz, and Covington playing a good role, it could be incredible. They are a few years away, but if they click pretty quickly, I see them as a playoff team in another couple of years.

Speaking of which, I'm waiting for the TWolves to make the next step. They have three PGs on their roster, and don't like any of them. So I am expecting something to happen with Rubio. I don't see them taking a PG in the draft. But I can see them being serious contenders for some FAs, and if they keep their pick, probably going to nab Jonathan Issac at 7, if the Magic or Suns don't get him first.

What I really DO NOT want to see is the Wolves getting Derrick Rose and plugging him in at the PG spot. The guy is always injured, and that whole leaving the team and missing a game fiasco this year with the Knicks really soured me. Former MVP or not, the guy is done as a prime time NBA player. Hoping the Wolves don't make that mistake...

I'm really interested to see if Ball is picked by the Lakers. I still think he will be, but I wonder how much of the rumors going around about him not going to LA is smoke and mirrors.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 12:00:10 PM »
^ what if the Wolves signed someone like Millsap? I was under the impression Minnesota had a lot of cap space  but only this summer. Millsap can probably give you another couple near-all star years and also teach those youngins how to play defense. As a Hawks fan, I want him to go somewhere that I am interested in rooting for; Minnesota would be a good option.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »
^ what if the Wolves signed someone like Millsap? I was under the impression Minnesota had a lot of cap space  but only this summer. Millsap can probably give you another couple near-all star years and also teach those youngins how to play defense. As a Hawks fan, I want him to go somewhere that I am interested in rooting for; Minnesota would be a good option.

Totally a possibility. But what the Wolves are looking for is interior defense, rebounding and some toughness, so that Towns doesn't have to sit in the post and can roam. Milsap is 250 lbs., and what, 6'7"? So I am not sure he's that kind of guy. His stats were 18/7 last year. If he;s a rugged defender, and doesn't mind sacrificing his scoring, it could work.

The Wolves don't need scoring punch. With Wiggins, Towns, and Lavine, they will have three guys average 20+. What they need is really tough inside defensive presence, and a veteran floor general that can shoot from outside (and a couple guys coming off the bench that can light it up from 3 land).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 03:23:13 PM »
Just saw a tweet from Adrian Wojnarowski saying MInny and Chicago are talking about Butler.

I'm not sure Dunn and the #7 pick get it...done.

I'm thinking if they do acquire Butler, it would be for Rubio and the 7. But the problem then becomes, where do you play Lavine. So more likely, they'd do Lavine and the 7 for Butler. But personally, I don't think the Wolves really win in that scenario. They get older, which is fine, but don't solve the PG problem.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 08:18:03 PM »
The off season has become more interesting than the regular season

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2017, 08:30:12 AM »
When I woke up this morning, not only I wasn't on the wrong side of the bed... AND I found out Nick "Born Reble" Young is no longer a Laker... joy!  :biggrin:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2017, 10:24:19 AM »
The off season has become more interesting than the regular season

It has. I'm a draft/free agency junkie with the NBA. Can't get enough. Looking forward to 4 p.m. Pacific tonight. I hope there is a ton of activity beforehand and during.

I think my Wolves are going to stand pat and draft either Issac (if he falls) or Markkanen. I'm fine with either if that's the route they go.

With all the Porzingis talk (my second fav team is the Knicks, as I'm from New York and follow all the bullshit), I'm hoping the Wolves can package Rubio, the #7 pick, and next year's first rounder for KP and Noah. It gives Jackson what he wants, rids the Wolves of Rubio, and gives us that solid 4 to play next to Towns with KP, and a defensive minded backup center. But while it makes sense, I doubt it'll happen. Fingers crossed.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2017, 12:45:24 PM »
The dude Phil Jackson's got to go...

Draft prospect says Phil Jackson dozed during his workout with Knicks

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19707432/draft-prospect-says-new-york-knicks-president-phil-jackson-fell-asleep-workout-team

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 12:51:32 PM »
Well, I obviously wasn't there, but...to play devil's advocate, what if dude's workout was such that that was precisely the appropriate reaction?  Just saying...

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2017, 01:03:53 PM »
Jackson is an embarrassment. The whole franchise is a joke. I was once very proud to be a Knicks fan. I always rooted for my Wolves, but the Knicks were my hometown team and I supported them (the fact the Wolves are in the West made it doable in my mind). But while I keep an eye on Knicks stuff, I pretty much washed my hands of things after Dolan strongarmed Donnie Walsh (who was doing a great job) into getting Carmelo. After that, I just focused on the Wolves.

The Knicks are a laughing stock. Last report was the Celtics giving them Crowder, Rozier, the third pick and next year's Brooklyn pick to the Knicks for Porzingis. No Knicks fan wants any of that. Porzingis is the real deal. He made a mistake disrespecting the organization by not bothering to show up for the exit interview. He made a mistake. He knows it. But Phil, in his "tough love" way has made the whole situation unbearable.

The whole organization is so behind the rest of the NBA. It's such crap. Here's hoping Phil gets fired. Or at the very least, the Wolves swoop in and gut them of Porzingis, so I can at least still root for the unicorn.

p.s. Knicks trading with Boston is a complete PR nightmare and fan suicide. YOU DO NOT TRADE WITH FUCKING BOSTON. EVER.

www.roadstomadness.com