Author Topic: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions  (Read 69094 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions
« Reply #700 on: May 08, 2018, 04:26:12 PM »
Oops. *makes derogitory joke about smelly fish*

I tried.  Just wasn't my cup of tea.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #701 on: May 08, 2018, 04:46:11 PM »

LeBron can be an arrogant prick, but you make him out to be the most unlikable athlete that ever lived. :lol

Off the top of my head, I can think of quite a few guys who are more insufferable. For whatever reason, I get most annoyed by the guys who are straight-up rude to reporters. I totally understand that it must be annoying to get asked the same questions over and over, but Popovich and Westbrook are consistently a-holes.

Aside from The Decision (the way he did it, not leaving itself), James has almost always done things the right way.  He is a model citizen off the court and is a rare unselfish superstar in a sport that has more selfish stars than you can shake a stick at. 

That said, he is severely lacking in charisma, which is why he will never be as universally beloved as Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan, both of whom just oozed with charisma. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: May 08, 2018, 04:47:18 PM »
Well, tweeting to himself when hitting 30,000 points as well. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #703 on: May 08, 2018, 04:55:29 PM »
Wow, I've heard of looking at your idols through rose-colored glasses, but that is borderline delusional.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #704 on: May 08, 2018, 05:57:02 PM »
Check it out.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #705 on: May 08, 2018, 07:07:50 PM »
Wow, I've heard of looking at your idols through rose-colored glasses, but that is borderline delusional.

Hey now... you didn't like it when I said that about you and the 9rs!!   ;D
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #706 on: May 08, 2018, 08:30:23 PM »
It's too bad Mitchell has to suffer from a knee injury to end his sensational rookie season. Still, I thought the Jazz played well enough in Game 5, and I tip my hat to them.

Can't believe this is CP3's first career conference finals
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #707 on: May 08, 2018, 09:00:10 PM »
Well, tweeting to himself when hitting 30,000 points as well.

That is why I said “almost” always. ;)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: May 09, 2018, 04:32:14 AM »
Almost.  Lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: May 09, 2018, 04:37:29 AM »
I'm sure MJ would have put some crazier stuff on social media if it were a thing during his playing days.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #710 on: May 09, 2018, 06:37:30 AM »
It's too bad Mitchell has to suffer from a knee injury to end his sensational rookie season. Still, I thought the Jazz played well enough in Game 5, and I tip my hat to them.

Can't believe this is CP3's first career conference finals

He has been such a wonderful player his whole career. I know it's more entertaining to tear guys apart and call them "chokers" when their team doesn't win, but usually that's just because the other guys were better. Unfortunately for Paul, he has run into a lot of better teams (as well as injuries). Nice to see him breaking through.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #711 on: May 09, 2018, 09:27:42 AM »
Warriors/Celtics finals?  :biggrin:

That Warriors game was not perfect, but man what a win!  Those two 3rd quarter fast breaks with Curry epitomize this team.  First one, Curry has a layup and makes one of the nastiest fakes ever to let Durant take the slam instead.  On the next one, Thompson has a pretty sure layup and instead passes it outside to Curry for an open 3.  Nobody does that.  Nobody. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #712 on: May 09, 2018, 09:36:02 AM »
So, Warriors vs. Rockets is pretty much the NBA finals. Should be/hope it will be an epic series that goes down to the last shot in game 7. As much as I don't like the Rockets (and yes, I am bitter regarding the Wolves), and I can't stand Harden (do your research on what this guy has allegedly done off the court...the nba has tried hard to bury it), I do want to see the Rockets win, just so I don't have to see the damn Warriors again in the finals.  :lol

But I know the Warriors will likely win. My guess is, Warriors-Cavs again. Yawn. But I really hope it is Rockets-Celtics. No way Boston loses this series against the Sixers.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #713 on: May 09, 2018, 11:22:01 PM »
Game 1 of the ECF starts this Sunday, fine... but the WCF won't begin until NEXT Monday?! WTF?!  :yeahright
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #714 on: May 10, 2018, 03:37:11 AM »
They have a schedule they follow. Usually each round goes for 2 weeks, even if all series are sweeps.

With that saiid, I don’t think Boston will beat The Cavs. I see the Cavs winning in 6. Out west is another story as it could go either way. My heart wants Houston to win, but my brain tells me GSW in 6.

For the Finals, if it’s GSW-Cavs, GSW win in 5-6. If it is the Rockets-Cavs I think Cavs take it in 6. If the Celtics make it they lose in 4-5 to either team from West.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #715 on: May 10, 2018, 08:50:53 PM »
I will say Cleveland in 6 and GS in 5. 

Brad Stevens is too great of a coach for them not to have a great chance to win this series, but the Cavs role players are playing better now and James just doesn't lose playoff series to teams lacking a true superstar.

The Rockets wanted the Warriors, but be careful of what you wish for.  I suspect the Warriors have been laughing to themselves about it and will bring their A game.  It could be ugly.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: May 10, 2018, 09:01:42 PM »
Agreed from a C's fan.   I hope we are wrong.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #717 on: May 10, 2018, 09:17:49 PM »
I will say Cleveland in 6 and GS in 5. 

Brad Stevens is too great of a coach for them not to have a great chance to win this series, but the Cavs role players are playing better now and James just doesn't lose playoff series to teams lacking a true superstar.

The Rockets wanted the Warriors, but be careful of what you wish for.  I suspect the Warriors have been laughing to themselves about it and will bring their A game.  It could be ugly.

Like you have mentioned, Brad Stevens is such a great coach; and he'd already found ways to neutralize Antetokounmpo, Embiid and Simmons, I am certain he will find ways to do the same to LBJ. Or, , maybe they will "let" LBJ to go off... as long as no other Cavs can become effective. The Celtics fought them hard last year in the ECF even without IT, so despite not having Kyrie this year; I expect an even tighter series. I give the C's a slight edge over the Cavs, though I must admit LBJ hasn't lost to an eastern team since 2010...

As for the WCF, I just know it will be a FUN series... a ton of scoring and even a fight or two along the way.... but at the end of the day, I think the Dubs have an edge over the Rockets (more fire power, better coaching, slightly deeper bench etc.), and I cannot stand Harden's way of selling fouls to say the least. And, both the Warriors and the Rockets are great 3rd qtr teams... it will be interesting to see how they play each other coming out of half time, especially if the scores are tight.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: May 11, 2018, 05:16:30 AM »
LBJ will score at will.  It's shutting down the other players that's the key.  Let him get 50.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #719 on: May 11, 2018, 08:11:41 AM »
In the east, I refuse to predict a winner.  Unless it's the Warriors playing him, I can't bet against LeBron.  If there is a way to win, he is the best there is at finding it.  But one thing I cannot discount is that the rest of the team have been playing above their ability for these past two series, AND LeBron has been playing just about flawless.  AND things have just been falling their way.  Can they sustain that for another series?  I'm not so sure.  I will not be surprised no matter who wins the east.

In the west, I think Capella is going to be the X factor for the Rockets.  If they manage to win (and I don't think they will), I think he will be the tipping point.  Harden is going to be Harden.  But he has been a bit out of sync.  And, honestly, I think the Warriors are inside his head, which will have an impact if things don't go his way early.  As for CP3, although he has been playing out of his mind, the Warriors are BIG TIME in his head. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: May 11, 2018, 08:38:20 AM »
In the east, I refuse to predict a winner.  Unless it's the Warriors playing him, I can't bet against LeBron.  If there is a way to win, he is the best there is at finding it.  But one thing I cannot discount is that the rest of the team have been playing above their ability for these past two series, AND LeBron has been playing just about flawless.  AND things have just been falling their way.  Can they sustain that for another series?  I'm not so sure.  I will not be surprised no matter who wins the east.

I disagree on the bolded.  Love was a disaster against Indiana, and Hill (maybe it was Green??) was ineffective from back spasms (or so I heard).  They all brought it together against the Raps - though Love was a mess in Game 1 (-13 thru Game 1 vs Raps; +72 in the three games after that).  After the Raptors snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, I think the Cavs were in their head - hence the blowout wins in games 2 and 4.

I think Boston can and will pose a challenge to them.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: May 11, 2018, 08:39:46 AM »
Challenge yes.  But in the end LeBron is too much I think.  I predict 4-2 Cavs but a hard fought series.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: May 11, 2018, 08:40:12 AM »
LBJ will score at will.  It's shutting down the other players that's the key.  Let him get 50.

That won't work, the same way it didn't work with MJ.

The advantage the Celtics have over other teams is that they can throw between 4 and 5 different players at Lebron which means fresh legs to deal with him. Lebron will score, but it will take a higher toll on him than it did in previous series. And, the Celtics can shut down the rest of the Cavs while doing that. I think the C's have a great chance of making it to the finals.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: May 11, 2018, 08:43:12 AM »
The one player that can truly guard him (Jaylen Brown) has been dealing with a hamstring pull.  That will make it tough.  No one else on the C's can really guard LeBron.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: May 11, 2018, 09:17:51 AM »
The one player that can truly guard him (Jaylen Brown) has been dealing with a hamstring pull.  That will make it tough.  No one else on the C's can really guard LeBron.

Again, I'm not saying they can stop him, but they can slow him down. You put Brown on him first, then when he gets a bit tired you go to Tatum, they you can put Morris there and even Horford for a bit. Lebron will still score, but he will get tired a lot faster having to deal with different players all the time. Indiana did something similar during the first round and for the most part it worked. Their problem was that they didn't take the chances they had. You should have more faith in Stevens.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: May 11, 2018, 09:19:11 AM »
Plus he has been playing 44 minutes a game in the playoffs.  That's a ton of minutes for his age.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: May 11, 2018, 09:41:10 AM »
And the Raptors fire their head coach.

Yeah.... it was his fault....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #727 on: May 11, 2018, 10:32:13 AM »
Pretty LONG article, but an excellent analysis of what the Warriors do that makes them so lethal:  https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/23453684/nba-secret-warriors-dominance

This is probably the best overall summary I have seen of what this team is about and why it works.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: May 11, 2018, 11:03:21 AM »
We get it Bosk, you're a warriors fan, they're best team...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #729 on: May 11, 2018, 11:29:40 AM »
:lol  Well, I've made no bones about the fact that I am a "bandwagon" fan.  I'm a fan of this Warriors team because they are SO fun to watch.  I am, at best, a casual basketball fan whose interest waxes and wanes depending on whether there are players I want to watch on any given team any given season.  But them being so fun to watch is at the crux of that article, which is why I posted it.  I think it is a great balance of analytics and just basic, common sense stuff that puts into words what a lot of people find so intriguing about what they do and how.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #730 on: May 11, 2018, 11:43:07 AM »
In my opinion, they were most fun to watch during the first championship season. They took a giant leap from the prior year and started the season on fire. If memory serves, they were the top-rated defense and offense in the league, which they didn't even replicate during the 73-win season. And they played so fast. Everyone else looked like they were trudging through molasses. Plus, they had so much joy.

They are still amazing - probably better than a few years ago - but they don't play quite the same style because of Durant. And the wear and tear of four consecutive playoff runs has reduced the "joy factor". Plus, I'm just tired of them whipping everyone. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: May 11, 2018, 11:46:40 AM »
Since I follow the Patriots I have no comment. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #732 on: May 11, 2018, 11:54:44 AM »
Yeah, I hear you.  I think Playoffs Dubs still exude that joy.  During the regular season, not so much.  But yeah, they are a different team with Durant for sure.  He integrated well into the system, and in many ways, helped preserve it.  But they also tweaked it and made it different with his arrival.

One of the things I thought was fascinating was the discussion of the Steph "dagger," and the subtle cues his teammates pick up on when it is about to happen.  Stuff like that really helps break down, to me as a fan, the "basketball IQ" of these guys.  It isn't just about going out and physically playing as hard as you can for these guys, but there's also a huge mental game going on, and that article gave a good window into some of that.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: May 11, 2018, 12:13:06 PM »
Current order of want:

Boston
Cleveland
Houston

GS

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: May 11, 2018, 12:59:18 PM »
And the Raptors fire their head coach.

Yeah.... it was his fault....

I'm not sure this was the right move.  Time will tell, but my worry is that there sure-as-shit isn't anyone demonstrably better - unless Masai has something already mapped out, or he thinks Rex or some other assistant is ready to step up.  Not a lot of positive comments in the basketball community from what I can tell.

Two of the games were highly win-able.  The other two, I firmly believe it was a combination of A) Raps playing 10-20% below their regular season capacity and Cavs playing 10-20% above their regular season pace; B) The Raps as a whole had the 'yips' when it came to LeBron and the Cavs... and C) Lowry was inconsistent; DDR was a virtual no-show, Ibaka was a no-show - some good D, but a wreck offensively.

Sucks for Casey to be the scapegoat, and I just don't have confidence there is anyone out there that is tangibly better.