Author Topic: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions  (Read 68149 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions
« Reply #455 on: April 10, 2018, 07:28:31 AM »
Would be nice if ESPN could flex their 8PM EST game from game 0 of the EC 3-6 series for game 7 of the WC 8-9 series.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #456 on: April 10, 2018, 08:34:40 AM »
Time to crush the Nuggets on Wednesday!

And p.s. to Thibs - offseason trade of Wiggins please. Dude is more passive than a Buddhist monk.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: April 10, 2018, 08:53:03 AM »
And p.s. to Thibs - offseason trade of Wiggins please. Dude is more passive than a Buddhist monk.

Didn't he get a max contract recently? That will make it quite difficult to trade him. He's still young and has potential, he just needs someone to wake him up to that fact.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: April 10, 2018, 11:33:08 AM »

Didn't he get a max contract recently? That will make it quite difficult to trade him. He's still young and has potential, he just needs someone to wake him up to that fact.

Yes, and I know. Wishful thinking on my part. I don't think he is going to wake up in Minnesota. With Buckets and KAT the #1 and 1A options, respectfully, and Teague now right behind them, I think Wiggins' passive nature is going to bury him.

I look for Thibs to find a way to take on another max guy in the offseason, in exchange for Wiggins and a pick. Would not surprise me if a sign and trade happens with another team. Just not sure who yet. Haven't thought about it enough, and whether it is realistic.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #459 on: April 10, 2018, 06:54:36 PM »

Yes, and I know. Wishful thinking on my part. I don't think he is going to wake up in Minnesota. With Buckets and KAT the #1 and 1A options, respectfully, and Teague now right behind them, I think Wiggins' passive nature is going to bury him.

I look for Thibs to find a way to take on another max guy in the offseason, in exchange for Wiggins and a pick. Would not surprise me if a sign and trade happens with another team. Just not sure who yet. Haven't thought about it enough, and whether it is realistic.

I do not have any number in front of me right now, but isn't Wiggins' new contract kicks in next season? Correct me if I am wrong, but in case LBJ does leave Cleveland and brings his talents elsewhere again, doesn't it make sense for the Cavs to get Wiggins back for K-Love?  ???
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: April 11, 2018, 03:28:47 AM »
Andre Ingram debuting at age 32 and dropping 19 points is my feel good story of the day.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #461 on: April 11, 2018, 03:37:36 AM »
Andre Ingram debuting at age 32 and dropping 19 points is my feel good story of the day.

As a Lakers fan I certainly feel good about his story, but realistically speaking, how could someone stuck with the G League for 10 years and live off just 26K a year?! Did he have other means of income that we don't know about? Is he the real Heisenberg or something? Lol!  :lol  :yeahright  ???
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: April 11, 2018, 06:19:00 AM »

I do not have any number in front of me right now, but isn't Wiggins' new contract kicks in next season? Correct me if I am wrong, but in case LBJ does leave Cleveland and brings his talents elsewhere again, doesn't it make sense for the Cavs to get Wiggins back for K-Love?  ???

Does K-Love fit Minnesota? They could probably use the shooting and rebounding and Cleveland rebuilding around Wiggins sounds like a good idea so I can see this scenario happening.

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #463 on: April 11, 2018, 07:20:21 AM »
I don't think very highly of Wiggins. I wouldn't rebuild around him, personally. His scoring inefficiency kills me. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: April 11, 2018, 08:09:57 AM »
re: Love back to Minnesota for Wiggins

>>>>Yes, Wiggs' contract kicks in next year, and yes, it does make sense to bring in Kevin Love to play the 4. Love and ownership parted on bad terms, but they can probably patch things up. If Cleveland gave us Love back for Wiggins, I'd do it. It would help Wiggins thrive (if LBJ is no longer there), and would enable Love to have a redemption/return story in Minnesota. And he'd fit perfectly alongside Towns.

But the Wolves would need something else from the Cavs. Wiggins is 22, Love will be 30 in September. I'm not saying it has to be the world, but a pick of some sort, or another young piece would be necessary. Wiggins has the potential to be a superstar if he gets his head on straight.

But make no mistake about it, even if they offered Love straight up for Wiggins, I'd probably take it for fit reasons. Thibs wasn't waiting around for Towns-Wiggins-Lavine to mature. He wants to win now. And to do that, you need guys who can shoot and be aggressive. That isn't Wiggins...yet. That is Love.

Towns
Love
SF
Butler
Teague

>>>>I like how that looks.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: April 11, 2018, 08:35:48 AM »
So, Gibson goes back to being a great bench guy, you can try to offload Dieng and Bjelica becomes your starting SF? I guess that could work but the lack at SF position would really hurt them even if Butler can play there.

In other imagined trade scenarios, I've read a lot about there being rumors of teams calling the Spurs about Leonard. I try to think of that happening and can't fathom something like that going on in the Spurs, but the whole situation has been very weird throughout the season and I can't help but think, if it actually happens, where does he go? What do you guys think?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: April 11, 2018, 10:53:20 AM »
So, Gibson goes back to being a great bench guy, you can try to offload Dieng and Bjelica becomes your starting SF? I guess that could work but the lack at SF position would really hurt them even if Butler can play there.

Exactly. Bjelica is not ideal as a starter. He's not athletic enough to handle some SFs. But I also think you could play around with Butler sliding to the 3, depending on the opposing SF. The NBA is full of tons of switching these days anyway, so you could theoretically bring in Derrick Rose (if they re-sign him) and play small in the backcourt. not ideal, but having Love-Towns-Butler is theoretically a monster you want to have. All three of those guys are not passive. It'll be interesting to see what Thibs does. But yeah, Wiggins has to go. I don't care if he has 45 tonight, unless he shows that aggression every time out, he's just not going to gel. He has to go at it. And if that's not his personality, then we need to ship him out.

In other imagined trade scenarios, I've read a lot about there being rumors of teams calling the Spurs about Leonard. I try to think of that happening and can't fathom something like that going on in the Spurs, but the whole situation has been very weird throughout the season and I can't help but think, if it actually happens, where does he go? What do you guys think?

Not sure what happens with Leonard. I think it is pretty clear at this point that unless something dramatic happens, his relationship with the Spurs is not repairable. I do expect the Spurs to reboot this summer. I expect them to trade Leonard before the draft and try and secure a top pick. I think Pop is going to retire too, which will then signal the complete reboot.

There's not a lot of young talent on the Spurs. They have some young decent rotation players, but for the first time since pre-David Robinson, I don't see any young star or superstar (other than Leonard) in the pipeline. That has to change, and it only changes with Leonard being traded.

I think you'll see Leonard being traded for one of the top picks, Pop then announces retirement (with Becky Hammon potentially being promoted to head coach, being the first NBA team to have a woman as a head coach), and then the reboot will start I am not sure of Aldridge's contract, and whether he is a FA next year or the year after, but I am going to surmise that he might get shipped off too. And then you'll see Parker and Ginobli retire along with Pop.

San Antonio is a really intriguing storyline this summer. I love the offseason drama with the NBA.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #467 on: April 11, 2018, 11:03:25 AM »
I'm kinda bummed for the Wolves.  They were really shaping up to be a solid up-and-coming team this year.  But the second half of the season has not been kind to them.  As a 7 or 8 seed (I think they still have a shot at the #7, as they hold the tiebreaker over OKC, right?), I think they are going to get destroyed in the first round.  As bad as the Warriors have been playing this last month, I think they will remember how to play D and get through the first round without too much trouble.  If they can pull themselves back together and become even a reasonable facsimile of themselves, they should get through round 2 as well.  And if they make it that far, with Steph back in the lineup, they are a solid threat beyond that as well.  I guess we'll see.  But back to the Wolves, I was really expecting them to go farther.  If they had played more consistently, they should have had a higher seed and would have gone farther in the playoffs.

Regarding San Antonio, I wasn't aware of the issues with Leonard.  I'm not sure what the realistic options for him are.  But with some of the precedents set in recent years, the possibility of another "super team" somewhere with him on it are certainly there (assuming, of course, that he can stay healthy).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: April 12, 2018, 08:09:53 AM »
What. A. Game. Incredible finale. I watched every second. Team played hard from the tip. Never let up. Pretty proud of the Wolves right now. Yeah, Houston is going to beat us. But we may steal a couple of games. Rockets in 6.

I think Butler can keep Harden from going 40-10-10. I'm thinking 25-5-5. Teague is a better defender than Chris Paul at this stage of their careers, so I think Paul will be around 15-10. The key matchup will be Towns versus Capella. Towns wins that, but Capella is no slouch. But Towns needs to elevate his game and shut him down defensively, and be aggressive offensively. As for Wiggins -- if he can play like he did last night, he'll be solid against whatever SF he is matched up against.

Still, Houston is incredible, and I see them finally getting it done this year. So if the Wolves can push them to 6, I'll be a happy Wolves fan.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #469 on: April 12, 2018, 08:25:31 AM »
What. A. Game. Incredible finale. I watched every second. Team played hard from the tip. Never let up. Pretty proud of the Wolves right now. Yeah, Houston is going to beat us. But we may steal a couple of games. Rockets in 6.

I think Butler can keep Harden from going 40-10-10. I'm thinking 25-5-5. Teague is a better defender than Chris Paul at this stage of their careers, so I think Paul will be around 15-10. The key matchup will be Towns versus Capella. Towns wins that, but Capella is no slouch. But Towns needs to elevate his game and shut him down defensively, and be aggressive offensively. As for Wiggins -- if he can play like he did last night, he'll be solid against whatever SF he is matched up against.

Still, Houston is incredible, and I see them finally getting it done this year. So if the Wolves can push them to 6, I'll be a happy Wolves fan.

Luc Mbah a Moute, one of the key rotation wings for the Rockets got hurt (shoulder) @ Lakers the other night. And he will likely miss the first round. The Wolves could really do some damage from the wing position (I am staring at you, Wiggins).  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #470 on: April 12, 2018, 09:21:05 AM »
Damn... Miami might have been better off losing last night so they face the C's instead of the 16-straight game winning 6rs.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: April 12, 2018, 12:28:33 PM »

Luc Mbah a Moute, one of the key rotation wings for the Rockets got hurt (shoulder) @ Lakers the other night. And he will likely miss the first round. The Wolves could really do some damage from the wing position (I am staring at you, Wiggins).  :hat

But the Rockets are deadly when they bring in Gordon and go small, and that's where I think Wiggins will be eaten alive. I hope I am wrong, obviously. Wigs needs to deliver. Last night was honestly...Wiggins' best game in a couple months. He only took 9 shots, but made 5 of them, and actually got physical going for rebounds and playing the best D he could. If he stays in that mode...we can push the Rockets a bit. I still say Rockets in 6. But if we can get to game 7, you just never know. But realistically, even if the Wolves lose, but win a couple games, I'll still be happy.

The roster tinkering needs to happen this offseason. The more I keep thinking about it, the more I feel like getting Love back for Wiggins and a pick...might just be the move that puts us over the top (offensively). Defensively, I really think the Wolves need to groom a couple young guys. I've got my eye on Justin Patton, who better be watching how Gibson plays...

www.roadstomadness.com

Online T-ski

« Reply #472 on: April 12, 2018, 03:21:05 PM »
Damn... Miami might have been better off losing last night so they face the C's instead of the 16-straight game winning 6rs.

they did just fine.  ;)
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: April 14, 2018, 06:23:25 PM »
Now that's a crowd!

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #474 on: April 14, 2018, 07:19:45 PM »
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #475 on: April 14, 2018, 08:46:49 PM »
130 pts scored by the Sixers! Wow! Impressive win for a bunch of playoffs first timers.  :tup
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: April 15, 2018, 06:13:49 AM »
The Raptors made it interesting for a while - 15 turnovers in 3 quarters will do that.  Their defense finally stepped up in the fourth (as they have all year long).  The flagrant foul (at 90-91) woke them the fuck up, and they held the Wizards to 15 points in the final 10 minutes.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #477 on: April 15, 2018, 06:52:06 PM »
The Cavs lost game 1, love it.  :lol  As well as the Pacers played today, I still doubt they could beat the Cavs 3 more times, even with home court. It will be interesting to see how the Pacers performance when the game is close throughout, or if the Cavs jump out to a big lead early on.  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: April 15, 2018, 07:11:24 PM »
The Cavs lost game 1, love it.  :lol  As well as the Pacers played today, I still doubt they could beat the Cavs 3 more times, even with home court. It will be interesting to see how the Pacers performance when the game is close throughout, or if the Cavs jump out to a big lead early on.  :hat

Le Ron almost outscored the rest of the starters combined!   :rollin

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: April 16, 2018, 05:55:39 AM »
I have the Cavs winning this one, but Lebron is really all alone this time around. And you know how they say it's defense that wins championships, well the Cavs defense has been AWOL the whole year. Not sure how far they'll get.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: April 16, 2018, 06:41:00 AM »
I have the Cavs winning this one, but Lebron is really all alone this time around. And you know how they say it's defense that wins championships, well the Cavs defense has been AWOL the whole year. Not sure how far they'll get.

With 80 points, it wasn't their defense that lost the game for them yesterday.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #481 on: April 16, 2018, 07:23:53 AM »
Despite his triple-doubles, I thought LBJ was unusually passive yesterday. He wasn't looking to attack, let alone to score, during most of the game. I expect he will bounce back for one of those 40 pts "monster" game in Game 2 though.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: April 16, 2018, 07:31:01 AM »

With 80 points, it wasn't their defense that lost the game for them yesterday.

I know, I'm just saying that even if they get their offense together they won't go very far with the defense they showed throughout the year.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #483 on: April 16, 2018, 07:41:10 AM »
It's too bad about the C's injuries this year.  This is the year they could have come out of the east.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: April 16, 2018, 08:16:40 AM »
It's too bad about the C's injuries this year.  This is the year they could have come out of the east.

Yeah... shame about that! :biggrin:  I certainly don't wish ill-will on anyone, but your bad fortune is our good fortune.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: April 16, 2018, 08:49:49 AM »
The Wolves game was so frustrating to watch. The Rockets were off from 3, and the Wolves had a golden opportunity...and blew it.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY KARL-ANTHONY TOWNS IS NOT INVOLVED IN THE OFFENSE?!!?!?!? Christ, I almost lost it last night. I just don't understand why Thibs seems to be running his offense through Jeff Teague and Taj Gibson. Hello, you have arguably the finest big man in the league aside from Anthony Davis, and he takes NINE shots? And it wasn't Rockets defense...they just never got him the ball!!!

Same with Butler. They focused on him, but it seemed like nothing was designed to run through him. INstead, we get Gibson getting the ball in the post. GIBSON?! C'mon! And Wiggins was hot early, and then disappeared until the 4th...again.

So frustrated with the teams horrid offensive system. The Rockets were misfiring last night, and the T-Wolves had a shot, and let it get away. Really sucks. I knew Harden would go off, and that's fine, but c'mon. Towns and Butler should both be around 20 shot attempts per game, minimum, with Teague and Wiggins bother around 15-18.

But nope, lets let Gibson and Dieng shoot.  :angry: ::)

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: April 16, 2018, 10:49:36 AM »

Yeah... shame about that! :biggrin:  I certainly don't wish ill-will on anyone, but your bad fortune is our good fortune.

Oh I forgot you have a basketball team. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: April 16, 2018, 11:23:26 AM »

Oh I forgot you have a basketball team. :lol

Pretty soon, you're gonna forget YOU have a basketball team.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: April 16, 2018, 11:59:39 AM »
No U.

:biggrin:

I'm not confident they will get by Toronto with all the injuries this year.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: April 16, 2018, 12:13:47 PM »
No U.

:biggrin:

I'm not confident they will get by Toronto with all the injuries this year.

You just worry about getting out of the first round. ;D