Author Topic: A new method of rating music!  (Read 1867 times)

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
A new method of rating music!
« on: June 11, 2017, 02:10:27 PM »
A new great site which offers a new method of ranking and rating music!
Based on a simple system that takes the time factor as well with other elements.

Honestly, I'm a freak of ranking and I am shocked we are still using the primitive system of 5 stars.

I believe every music lover should take a look and use the great technics it offers.

Anyway, check it out. I've already ranked few bands including Dream Theater, it is interesting to see this method being used in the future in all the big sites.

Spread the word and fill in your own ratings!

https://allmusicrating.com/

An article on ThinkTank:

https://www.musicthinktank.com/blog/how-to-rate-music-beyond-music-ratings.html#.WQyfpDa5UjU.facebook

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 03:59:58 PM by ori.elias5 »

Offline Pappy

Re: A new method of rating music!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 02:57:08 PM »
Interesting read. Checked out the rating system may spend a lot of quality time ranking things. Thanks. However one thing I would disagree with is just because a "masterpiece" is 12 min doesn't mean it's better than a 3 min "Masterpiece."

Also noticed your thumbnail. LETS GO REDS!! #YNWA
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 04:18:55 PM by Pappy »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 06:17:46 PM »
One flaw I'm noticing right away.   

I don't feel like my ratings accurately portray the way I feel about Signify by Porcupine Tree.   I feel obligated to rate Bornlivedie, Pagan, and Light Mass Prayers very low because they are basically only interludes.   But rating these tracks low brings down the overall score of the album, which is one of my favorites.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 08:14:49 PM »
Their genre tags and bad album cataloguing are quit big flaws for me. Interesting site, but I guess I'll stick to RYM  :P

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 08:29:54 PM »
Their genre tags and bad album cataloguing are quit big flaws for me. Interesting site, but I guess I'll stick to RYM  :P

Yes....terrible.   Stupid Dream is listed as Blues album.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 08:50:01 PM »
It seems it goes too much into detail. I prefer to rate it normally.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 09:41:52 PM »
Does it just go by what's on the CD?   

Seems like someone should have caught that Glass Arm Shattering is NOT 11 minutes long.   When you rate it, and it rates it like it would an 11 min song...it skews the rating of the album.

It's a nice idea, but there's too many bugs to spend a bunch of time with.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 02:56:00 AM »
This system makes no sense to me at all. A 12 minute amazing track isn't deserving of a higher rating than a 3 minute amazing track. Establishing the ideal length for a song is one of many factors that contribute to the overall quality.

Also, some fellow music lovers I know typically don't like songs that go on longer than, say, 10 minutes. There are good reasons for the fact that the average pop song lasts around 4 minutes, beyond the attention-span or airplay reasons. I have a feeling this system comes from a classical/jazz/prog freak's mind.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 05:27:50 AM »
More rating sites that people will think are a valid basis of judgment.

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 06:54:17 AM »
New ratings for porcupine tree gotta love that!!! I am about to rank some maiden now...

I agree that 2 songs we share the same love deserve to get the same ranking. I do however believe that a longer song with the same ranking needs to get a higher score overall since its reflecting a larger part of the album experience.

It is true that most casual listeners don't care for rating and ranking music since they are only casual listeners, but there are a lot of people (like me for example) that love to measure the quality and enjoy the album as a whole and for that reason I find myself not satisfied by measuring 2 albums I love that get just a regular 4.5 stars and that's it.
It doesnt reflect the true quality of each album.
When I have a 50 minutes masterpiece album and a 40 minutes masterpiece album,  both are indeed masterpieces and I share the same love for both but the longer one deserves a higher score.

Sacul- i hope one day sites like RYM will use that system it will benefit us all.

Love to see more scousers over here! YNWA#

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 07:44:10 AM »
Oddly enough, when I love an album - REALLY love an album - I'd rather listen to it than rank it.

It makes no sense whatsoever to me to include "length" as a criteria for ranking a song.   "Yesterday".  Two minutes and three seconds that virtually any musician worth their staff paper would kill to have written.   

Let's look at arguably the greatest band in modern rock history's five longest songs:
1. Revolution 9 - 8:22
2. I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 7:47
3. Hey Jude - 7:11
4. It's All Too Much - 6:28
5. What's The New Mary Jane - 6:12

Not exactly the crown jewels of the catalogue (except for "Hey Jude").

I can remember when "Flying Colors" was being teased to us, and they released the song titles and times, and at another forum where I frequent, everyone was stepping on their dicks to say how great "Infinite Fire" and "Blue Ocean" were going to be, how epic and awesome they were going to be... because they were the two longest songs on the record.  That made no sense to me whatsoever.   How can you tell how good a song is without even HEARING it???   (And for me, neither song is in the top three or four on the album; "The Storm", "Kayla", "Better Than Walking Away", and "Everything Changes" all slay). 

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 07:49:22 AM »

I Want You is one of my favorite Beatles tracks, I like it much more than Hey Jude. Of course Hey Jude is a song that resonates with a larger part of the audience.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 03:31:39 PM »

I Want You is one of my favorite Beatles tracks, I like it much more than Hey Jude. Of course Hey Jude is a song that resonates with a larger part of the audience.

God damn I love 'I Want You (She's So Heavy). But then Abbey Road is my favourite album by The Beatles.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 03:58:22 PM »
I'm completely agreeing with that length does not have a good correlation with quality. I think an original and concise song can demand just as much talent as a long epic. (though an epic is most likely going to take longer to write  :P )

God damn I love 'I Want You (She's So Heavy). But then Abbey Road is my favourite album by The Beatles.
Oh yeah that song is fantastic  ;D
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 04:24:14 PM »
If you had asked me in the 90s what I think about The Dark Side Of The Moon, I would have given it 2/10. If you asked me in the mid-2000s, I would give it 9/10.
If IAW was released today, it would be met with widespread ridicule and derision. Despite containing the exact same music as when it was hailed as groundbreaking in the 90s.

No ranking system can eradicate the flawed humans that vote in it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 04:31:54 PM »
If you had asked me in the 90s what I think about The Dark Side Of The Moon, I would have given it 2/10. If you asked me in the mid-2000s, I would give it 9/10.
If IAW was released today, it would be met with widespread ridicule and derision. Despite containing the exact same music as when it was hailed as groundbreaking in the 90s.

I think the exact score I'd give something can even differ slightly from day to day depending on mood/setting etc.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 04:57:45 PM »
Not to offend music aficionados or fans of this, but I have a serious question... what is the point of doing this?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 06:46:18 PM »
The OP covered, many people enjoy ranking things, it is a way for us to organize our thoughts.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 09:15:13 PM »

I think the exact score I'd give something can even differ slightly from day to day depending on mood/setting etc.

I find this interesting to think about. So much of our enjoyment of the medium comes down to timing. Depending on when you were born, IAW can be seen as dissonant noise, satanic sounds, groundbreaking music, tacky 80s metal, retro cool. And none of those statements are necessarily wrong.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 09:46:54 PM »
100% true. Art is definitely a product of its time, and of when the viewer/listener/reader experiences it.

Looking back at movies I loved as a kid from the 80s, I can't believe 9 out of 10 of them were popular. Could Top Gun be made today? Well, I guess its sequel can.

And how the hell was Cubism Art a thing?

The OP covered, many people enjoy ranking things, it is a way for us to organize our thoughts.

I got that people enjoy ranking things, I just never did *shrug
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 10:13:37 AM »
I can understand the rankings.    I have my lists too.   But on purely arbitrary, meaningless criteria?  As some point the integrity of the ranking is lost. 

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 10:23:02 AM »
The more detail you take into account, the more complicated rating gets. You get lost in trivialities. For me it boils down to this: how much do I like this album from 1 to 5 or from 1 to 10? This is as simple and as effective as it gets.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 10:30:09 AM »
The more detail you take into account, the more complicated rating gets. You get lost in trivialities. For me it boils down to this: how much do I like this album from 1 to 5 or from 1 to 10? This is as simple and as effective as it gets.

Exactly. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."