Author Topic: Things That Shouldn't Piss You Off But Do Anyway Thread v.cockroach up the butt  (Read 28424 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
To illustrate the clusterfuck that was my last employer, we had a couple occurrences where popcorn was left in the microwave too long and ended up smoking, setting off the alarm, causing 1,000 employees to leave the office and an awkward explanation to the fire department by our facilities dept. Ultimately signs were posted above the microwaves: "No popcorn in the microwaves, Disciplinary action will be taken for violations."

"Hey Joe, heard you lost your job, what happened?"
"Microwaved some popcorn in the cafeteria."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I see, this kind of over reaction corrections with Wal Mart all the time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
2:20 on the clock for microwave popcorn has never failed me.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
When people wear their watches so the face is on the inside of their wrist.
I don't get why people do this. I'd be too afraid to damage the face of the watch on a table or something. It's also awkward to twist my wrist that way
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
When people wear their watches so the face is on the inside of their wrist.

This is bad enough, but when people do it when they own and wear an expensive, fine watch that is meant to be seen and used, it pisses me off even more. It's almost like spending $275,000 on a Lamborghini, then only driving it at 20mph with a car cover draped over it.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
This is related to but not exactly clickbait, but I hate all articles and videos on social media now that are like "PEOPLE ARE SHOCKED/PUMPED/PISSED ABOUT [insert thing here]!"

Like it's so obviously just a way to tell readers/watchers what to feel, as if the content doesn't even matter. I sound like someone 30 years my senior when I say this, but it seems to be riding on the backs of people not wanting to think for themselves anymore. Like you can't just have a story about thing, and then maybe provide some commentary with it. Now, stories have to tell us how others are feeling because that tells US how to feel! We need to be told our opinion on the matter before we even know what the matter is.

It's so fucking insulting to me whenever I see this, and it just makes places like Facebook 50 times worse when it's already the worst social media platform that's also infecting every other successful site too.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Losing at video games.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
People that lose at video games.

Losers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
This is related to but not exactly clickbait, but I hate all articles and videos on social media now that are like "PEOPLE ARE SHOCKED/PUMPED/PISSED ABOUT [insert thing here]!"

Like it's so obviously just a way to tell readers/watchers what to feel, as if the content doesn't even matter. I sound like someone 30 years my senior when I say this, but it seems to be riding on the backs of people not wanting to think for themselves anymore. Like you can't just have a story about thing, and then maybe provide some commentary with it. Now, stories have to tell us how others are feeling because that tells US how to feel! We need to be told our opinion on the matter before we even know what the matter is.

It's so fucking insulting to me whenever I see this, and it just makes places like Facebook 50 times worse when it's already the worst social media platform that's also infecting every other successful site too.

Even regular news is like that now.  CNN and Yahoo! News both place Op-ed pieces as lead headline pieces and it's insulting.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Even regular news is like that now.  CNN and Yahoo! News both place Op-ed pieces as lead headline pieces and it's insulting.

"Listen to _________ destroy ________ with one word!"

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's like putting the cart before the horse to me, but with more manipulation.

Movie trailers commonly get this same reaction out of me. The way they are assembly line tailored to evoke jejune emotional reactions so blatantly and without an ounce of subtly or artfulness is just painful to me. I feel manipulated, which does not make me want to see your movie.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
People who think they know what jejune means but don't.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

"Listen to _________ destroy ________ with one word!"

And even worse, when you read the article and it doesn't even come close to matching that headline

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni

Did I mess up? I could've sworn I used it correctly. Naive, simplistic, superficial...is that right?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Did I mess up? I could've sworn I used it correctly. Naive, simplistic, superficial...is that right?

No, it was fine.  :lol  I was just giving you crap because it's such a seldom-used word.  Actually, I have to give props for using such an obscure word so adeptly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
Shitty Craigslist listings.

Been looking for a used pickup truck and can't tell you how many people will post a bunch of pics with no info other than a contact number or post a bunch of info with no pics. You're asking $15K for something and can take a single pic with your phone? C'mon.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I just went through this twice with my stepson (finally settled on a '98 Toyota Tacoma 4x4; got it for $1700 cash, which is kind of a steal) and it's brutal.   Some of these people think their ball of rust is just going to sell itself.   

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
I just went through this twice with my stepson (finally settled on a '98 Toyota Tacoma 4x4; got it for $1700 cash, which is kind of a steal) and it's brutal.   Some of these people think their ball of rust is just going to sell itself.

Wow. That's a great price. Those typically hold their resale value really well. How many miles? I was hell bent on buying one of those for the longest time, but I need something that can handle a plow now.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Wow. That's a great price. Those typically hold their resale value really well. How many miles? I was hell bent on buying one of those for the longest time, but I need something that can handle a plow now.

170K, but those engines - if cared for - will go forever.  I was more worried about the frame, but it looks in good shape; no bends, no rust holes.    When I went to DMV, I put the actual price down (usually you can shave a couple hundred bucks off to save on the sales tax) and they charged me tax on $3800, because that was what book said (even with the miles).   Even being honest you can't win with the CT DMV. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran

170K, but those engines - if cared for - will go forever.  I was more worried about the frame, but it looks in good shape; no bends, no rust holes.    When I went to DMV, I put the actual price down (usually you can shave a couple hundred bucks off to save on the sales tax) and they charged me tax on $3800, because that was what book said (even with the miles).   Even being honest you can't win with the CT DMV.

Yeah, my father had a Sequoia that was still banging away at 260K miles until my sister's friend tore a fire hydrant out of the ground with it and then put it through a tree.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni

No, it was fine.  :lol  I was just giving you crap because it's such a seldom-used word.  Actually, I have to give props for using such an obscure word so adeptly.

That's a relief. I learned the word quite some time ago, but that was my first go using it in a conversation. For some reason my mind just went straight to that word when describing the emotions.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
People who walk slow and like this

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Lead, follow, or get the fuck out of the way. Amirite?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran

That's my philosophy on the highway.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I assume that is a mall, and if so, it used to bother me but not anymore. I just pull a Dude On The Left from that picture and go around.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
That's the first floor of my office building, entering the food court.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

That's my philosophy on the highway.

But behind three young black asses, it's walk even slower and snap a picture!  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
I took it specifically for this thread

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You know what I hate. When everyone loves a certain album but I don't.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

You must hate a ton since your tastes suck. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

I know, right!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

So I decided to buy all Gary Moore on CD.  Gonna blow some money!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Really?  PM coming your way!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni

I'd just spend the money, if I were you. You never know where money has been.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Or the flip side, when (the royal) you love an album that everyone else seems to think sucks.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion