Author Topic: Things That Shouldn't Piss You Off But Do Anyway Thread v.cockroach up the butt  (Read 28309 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
One thing that has always drove me nuts is when getting change from a cash purchase most cashiers will give you cash > reciept > coins on top.

Drives me nuts.
I've noticed that at Kroger now (at least the larger stores), cashiers don't even count back coins anymore. There's a machine that spits them out at the customer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
At the supermarkets here we have self serve checkouts and every time they fuck you when spitting out the change, pisses me off.  If my change is for example $20.80, it spits two five dollar notes, a ten and then four 20c piece coins.  WTF?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
People still pay with cash? :P

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
People still pay with checks at our store. Still looking to eventually not allow them
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 07:08:00 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I pay with cash most of the time.  I hate cards.  I usually take out a wad of cash once a week and use it for fuel, food, groceries etc.  Cash is where it's at!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
People still pay with checks our store. Still looking to eventually not allow them
What used to drive me nuts was the people who would fill out the whole check by hand even when you told them the cash register would do it for them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I pay with cash most of the time.  I hate cards.  I usually take out a wad of cash once a week and use it for fuel, food, groceries, CDs, more CDs, a few more CDs, DVDs, etc..

Fixed! ;)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Say for instance you go into the bathroom and lock the door and start doing your thing. Then someone else goes to use the bathroom, twists the doorknob, clearly realizes that the door is locked, but yet they knock for some reason.

There is someone in there, that is why the door is locked, so turn around and walk away. jesus

Offline Snow Dog

When the Penguins win the Stanley Cup... It's just a game, but holy shit I really don't like that team.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
When you see in the TV channel guide that beach volleyball is coming on then you wait 4 hours for the match to start to find out it is only a men's match.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Mortals

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I know I bitch about this every year, but here goes....

It's going to be humid and in the low 90s today in the city I work in. The city itself will be well over 100F in no time once the heat starts getting trapped between the buildings. Brooke gets to walk in with opened-toed heels and a sleeveless dress that comes to about 4"-5" above her knees. This is permitted under company dress code. Meanwhile, I'm stuck wearing leather shoes, dress socks, long pants, and a long sleeve button down.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
People who skullhead it for photographs. It is not "smiling" when you bare your teeth like a jolly roger. You look like you have just cut off the world's largest shart and just remembered you didn't bring a spare pair of underpants; it would be better if you just mugged it.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Threads that are supposed to be a bit of fun but turn into pages of back and forth pedantic arguing for no real reason.

Unrelated, of course.

People that have to critique the thread itself instead of contributing to it productively.

:-*

(I'm busting on you, Adami.)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I'm from California, where if a pedestrian is standing on a sidewalk waiting to cross a street and a car is approaching, the pedestrian waits for the car to pass, then crosses. Which makes complete sense; it'd take the car longer to brake, stop, let the pedestrian pass, then continue.

I live in Vancouver now, and drivers here stop, let the pedestrian pass, and then continue themselves. And it drives me nuts because it takes longer for both of us, and some pedestrians will just cross the street with an oncoming car, assuming they'll slow down, which is fucking stupid to do, because here it rains like hell year-round, and if the driver doesn't notice, they'll skid right into you if they try to brake quickly for your dumb, presumptive ass.

So now, every time I prepare to jaywalk, and a car is oncoming, I have to wait an extra five seconds for the fucker to slow down enough to get the signal that I can continue without being bowled over, when it'd be easier for the dude to just keep driving and save himself the gas, and me the time.

But instead, I politely smile, and wave a thank you, welcoming the discontent

What gets me is if I let someone cross and signal them to cross, they acknowledge, then leisurely stroll across the street, like they've got all day.  If I'm letting you cross the street in front of me, move your ass and at least TRY to make an effort to be quick about it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
So...moving quickly = bad when driving, and anyone attempting to do so should be harshly criticized for their obvious moral deficiency; but moving quickly = good when walking, and anyone failing to do so should be harshly criticized for their obvious moral deficiency?  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Finally, someone gets it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Threads that are supposed to be a bit of fun but turn into pages of back and forth pedantic arguing for no real reason.

Unrelated, of course.

People that have to critique the thread itself instead of contributing to it productively.

Well....technically, based on the nature of the thread, by critiquing it, I am contributing to it.  :angel:

(I'm busting on you, Adami.)

Gross dude, at least get me a towel!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I'm from California, where if a pedestrian is standing on a sidewalk waiting to cross a street and a car is approaching, the pedestrian waits for the car to pass, then crosses. Which makes complete sense; it'd take the car longer to brake, stop, let the pedestrian pass, then continue.

I live in Vancouver now, and drivers here stop, let the pedestrian pass, and then continue themselves. And it drives me nuts because it takes longer for both of us, and some pedestrians will just cross the street with an oncoming car, assuming they'll slow down, which is fucking stupid to do, because here it rains like hell year-round, and if the driver doesn't notice, they'll skid right into you if they try to brake quickly for your dumb, presumptive ass.

So now, every time I prepare to jaywalk, and a car is oncoming, I have to wait an extra five seconds for the fucker to slow down enough to get the signal that I can continue without being bowled over, when it'd be easier for the dude to just keep driving and save himself the gas, and me the time.

But instead, I politely smile, and wave a thank you, welcoming the discontent
So, it angers you when people's attempts to be courteous to your law breaking is inefficient? That about right?  :lol

y stroll across the street, like they've got all day.  If I'm letting you cross the street in front of me, move your ass and at least TRY to make an effort to be quick about it.
Yeah, definitely this one. Hell, I jog even when I have the right of way. Comes from being polite and appreciating efficiency.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I was always taught to wait until the driver waves you on to go across the street and then still look at the other side.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I pay with cash most of the time.  I hate cards.  I usually take out a wad of cash once a week and use it for fuel, food, groceries, CDs, more CDs, a few more CDs, DVDs, etc..

Fixed! ;)

:lol Touche.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I was always taught to wait until the driver waves you on to go across the street and then still look at the other side.
I wait for them to wave and then maintain steely eye contact. I want them to know I don't trust them.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I know I bitch about this every year, but here goes....

It's going to be humid and in the low 90s today in the city I work in. The city itself will be well over 100F in no time once the heat starts getting trapped between the buildings. Brooke gets to walk in with opened-toed heels and a sleeveless dress that comes to about 4"-5" above her knees. This is permitted under company dress code. Meanwhile, I'm stuck wearing leather shoes, dress socks, long pants, and a long sleeve button down.

You know what you got to do, wear heels and a dress :lol

Seriously though as someone who works in the city and wears business clothes every day I can relate

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
y stroll across the street, like they've got all day.  If I'm letting you cross the street in front of me, move your ass and at least TRY to make an effort to be quick about it.
Yeah, definitely this one. Hell, I jog even when I have the right of way. Comes from being polite and appreciating efficiency.

That's me too.   I want to be out of the way and moving on as quickly as I can.   

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
I believe I have the right to be pissed off about this, despite this thread intending to be about things that shouldn't elicit anger, but kids (and some adults) nowadays who insist the street is where they are entitled to walk, despite there being perfectly good sidewalks literally right fucking next to them. Yeah let's just walk 5 abreast across an entire lane of a street because fuck everyone else that's why. And middle-agers (no offense to anyone here) who do their power walking exercises and utilize the street instead of the sidewalk...yeah fuck you cars in the street, people on the concrete.

When I was a kid I was taught to stay the hell out of the street, no exceptions unless crossing. Don't know when the fuck it became normal to challenge drivers to hit you.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I wait for them to wave and then maintain steely eye contact. I want them to know I don't trust them.

Yes that and then in the middle look at the car coming the other way to get a wave to continue to cross.
I believe I have the right to be pissed off about this, despite this thread intending to be about things that shouldn't elicit anger, but kids (and some adults) nowadays who insist the street is where they are entitled to walk, despite there being perfectly good sidewalks literally right fucking next to them. Yeah let's just walk 5 abreast across an entire lane of a street because fuck everyone else that's why. And middle-agers (no offense to anyone here) who do their power walking exercises and utilize the street instead of the sidewalk...yeah fuck you cars in the street, people on the concrete.

When I was a kid I was taught to stay the hell out of the street, no exceptions unless crossing. Don't know when the fuck it became normal to challenge drivers to hit you.

Over the last decade or so, please now just jump out and expect a car to stop for them.  People never think of human error driving a killing machine.  They expect you to see them and stop.  The days of looking for the driver to let you go are a thing of the past.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Isn't that just a general "fuck you" attitude?   I see a lot of that.   The douche talking on the phone at Deep Purple volumes instead of ordering his Happy Meal while you're standing behind him ready to go?  The asswipe that speeds to the checkout line with a cart full of carbs and saturated fats while you stand there with a half gallon of milk and a smile?   The jag off that stands in front of you at the concert with his iPad on "RECORD" held over his head?

It's why I love Philly so much.   I was there last week and stopped for a Pat's cheesesteak and the guy in front of me was trying to figure out what he wanted (he had 30 minutes in line at least at that point to think about it) and the guy behind the counter just said straight out"step aside until you figure it out or go to Geno's" (the competition that is literally right across the street, denoted by their garish orange sign and inferior cheesesteaks). 

Seems being considerate is a lost art for a lot of people, and our society suffers for it. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yes.  it isn't isolated though.  It seems to be the norm for pedestrians.  It's not just a certain age.  It's permeated for all ages.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
I witnessed a teenager jaywalk across a 5-lane highway yesterday, at rush hour, giving zero fucks and when cars beeped at him he just flipped them off and slowed down. There is some lack of caring about being clobbered at 55+mph; somehow he feels above the possibility of death or injury, and certainly above common courtesy or, gasp, law.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yeah, along the lines, cyclists who don't know the rules really get on my nerves as well.  And it's a trickier issue here in California as well, because we have this dumb law now that requires cars to stay 3 feet away from cyclists.  I get the intent.  There are more bikes on the road nowadays, and you want cars to keep their distance to keep things safer.  But that doesn't take into account the fact that not all roads are meant to safely accommodate cyclists, and many that arguably can safely accommodate cyclists are too narrow to provide a 3 foot buffer, which results in a situation where cars cannot legally pass a bike and are stuck de facto stuck behind the much slower moving bike, which makes no sense.  The problem is compounded by the all-coo-common prevailing attitude I see among cyclists that push past the boundaries of "right of way" laws and safety laws and act like they own the road.  As a cyclist, I get it, to an extent.  Yeah, if I'm rolling up to a 4-day stop at about the same time as a car, and the car gets there a second or 2 before me and technically has the right of way to go first, I'm still going to keep rolling and signal by my eye contact that I intend to keep going and go first because it is a lot easier and safer for me to not stop and have to unclip and then start up again as the next car is impatiently waiting for me to pick up speed from a dead stop than it is for me to let the car go first and then go.  And there are plenty of other analogous situations that annoy drivers who aren't cyclists and don't have an understanding of why it is easier or safer to do certain things.  But there are plenty of other situations where cyclists are just plain rude and/or take advantage of the rules, or even break them just because they know drivers can't really do anything about it.  One example is riding side by side instead of single file (sometimes 3 or 4 bikes side by side) so that cars cannot possibly pass while observing the 3-foot rule, or cannot pass at all.  I live in a big biking town, and I see this kind of thing all the time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
One thing that has always drove me nuts is when getting change from a cash purchase most cashiers will give you cash > reciept > coins on top.

Drives me nuts.

Oh holy hell... that sends me off a perfectly safe ledge into the wild-blue-yonder on a rocket made of assholes.  And honestly, that also ends up pissing the person behind me off because I'm a money clip guy (separate pocket from my wallet) and I now have to use some kind of chicanery to quickly move the cash into the clip and the coin-change and the clip into my pocket while holding the bag of merchandise while the a$$hole behind me gives me a rectal exam for not getting out of his way quickly enough.

I'm a nice guy, so I allow the office next door to mine to use one of our parking spaces daily because their offices spaces are limited; on any given day, my parking lot is mostly empty... the only exception to that is when I have a closing (parking lot fills-in quickly with buyers, sellers, Realtors, and the Closing Agent).  The guy that uses the space refuses... REFUSES... to pull his car all the way into the space at the back of my building; I park behind my building, so I am forced to execute a three-point-turn to get out of the parking lot I own.  Shouldn't make me mad... but it does.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
What we have here that I experience with cyclists is the situation where they ride on windy roads that have no shoulders and are only one lane in either direction, speed limit 35 usually. Lots of hills, switchbacks, etc, really good driving roads but absolutely impossible to perform a legal pass, even around a car. Get stuck behind a cyclist who honestly is probably perfectly fine biking the road, and you are completely sunk because the only way around would be to cross the double-yellow on blind curves or abbreviated straights and hope there won't be a car heading back the other way when you do. The roads aren't deserted, and do carry a lot of traffic, so at high volume times, one cyclist can hold 10-20 cars up for a very long way.

I'm not sure how I'd propose to deal with this other than sucking it up and sharing the road, but it's definitely a pain the ass.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yeah, we have plenty of those kinds of roads too.  Honestly, cyclists should stay off of them, and I say this as a cyclist myself.  Because of the conditions you mention, when a cyclist is present, the cyclist makes the road conditions more dangerous for both him/herself and drivers.  Just use some common sense and common courtesy!

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
It's nice to hear the point of view of a cyclist who doesn't feel he's to be protected with a forcefield; you understand the concept of shared responsibility. So many around here feel they are simply immune to any and all consequences just because they are "cyclists."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
That mentality in general infuriates me, as I know it does others.  And, sure, I need to recognize that, as just about everyone else, I'm guilty of a bit of hypocrisy because I have my own self-imposed exceptions to the rules where I don't follow certain rules to the letter because I subjectively believe it's easier not to.  But I legitimately try to keep that to a minimum and to ask whether it really is a situation of "all things balanced, is this approach mostly inconvenience-neutral to all parties involved?"  Take for instance the issue I mentioned above about coming to a stop at an intersection.  By me rolling through and forcing a car that technically has the right of way to yield to me because I'm not coming to a complete stop, I am technically in the wrong every single time.  But the inconvenience to the vehicle of the 1-2 seconds is minor, and the inconvenience to me and perhaps other drivers that may subsequently arrive at the intersection of maybe around 10 seconds weighs in favor of my approach.  Drivers who are cyclists get it and don't make a fuss.  Many drivers who AREN'T cyclists get it and don't make a fuss.  But some do get pissed, and I fully understand why they would, given that they don't understand the additional problems associated with me stopping in that situation.