Author Topic: Gene Simmons Solo  (Read 1756 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Gene Simmons Solo
« on: June 04, 2017, 10:44:30 PM »
So... anyone who knows me even the slightest knows I'm a HUGE Kiss fan.  Gene is doing a handful of solo shows in clubs in conjunction with some Wizard World convention or some shit. 

Friday night, the Trocadero in Philly.   I don't believe it was sold out (I'd guess there were 700 people there).   Opening acts were Mach 22 (Jeff LaBar's kid) and a local band named Creem Circus (older rock fans will get the reference).  Both kind of sucked in their own way.  The latter I'm not sure if they were serious or not.   Kind of a Darkness knock off.

Gene played about 17 songs, mostly pre-1982 kiss (with two exceptions).  The band were Nashville.vets and they were good (3 guitars, one of whom I thought was Coz for about 12 minutes!). Gene is a way better musician than he comes off.  It was still a loose show;  he used big sheets on the floor for some of the lyrics, and at least twice he had the band redo the endings to songs.   

There were some cool jokes and insights between songs, and for Parasite he let a kid - had to be 14,15 - come up and play guitar (he KILLED it) though I'm not sure it wasn't planned as the set list said "Parasite (Kid)" on it. 

How do I know this?  During "Do You Love Me" (yes a Paul song) he had some women from the crowd come up and sing background. Later, during Rock and Roll All Nite, he had some kids come up and sing.  Before that he had "the guys" come up to sing I Love It Loud.   There were about ten of us.  Yes, "us" because I was one of them.  I got to sing with Gene F-Ing Simmons!  I was literally right next to him as he sang and after he said to me "Did you have fun?" And gave me a fist bump.  F*** yeah!    Made the 3.5 hour drive very worth it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Gene Simmons Solo
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 10:47:30 PM »
Am I having a stroke or did you already make this thread before?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 11:59:45 PM »
Stroke!   No I think I asked why this wasn't an immediate sell-out. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 08:36:06 AM »
Mach 22 is excellent.  Saw them open for Bon Jovi at the Wells Fargo Center a couple months ago.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 08:41:39 AM »
Not personally affected since I don't follow Kiss, but I don't need to be a huge fan to realize how awesome it must have been for you to SING and FIST-BUMP with Gene Simmons!  :metal congratulations!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 08:33:41 AM »
^ I make no apologies for how giddy I was (and still am) over that.   After seeing him larger than life (probably 10 or 15 times) as a member of Kiss, to be THAT CLOSE (I swear I could hear his fingers squeaking on the strings as he played, though that could be a false memory). 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 08:37:24 AM »
^ I make no apologies for how giddy I was (and still am) over that.   After seeing him larger than life (probably 10 or 15 times) as a member of Kiss, to be THAT CLOSE (I swear I could hear his fingers squeaking on the strings as he played, though that could be a false memory).

nuggetz

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 08:53:14 AM »

nuggetz

I did not see his "love", sadly.  :)  :)  ;) 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 06:16:04 PM »
Did you guys have a tongue off?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 08:51:59 AM »
You know something?  Now that I think about it, he did not stick his tongue out ONCE the entire show.  He smiled a lot (he's an incredibly personable, charismatic man), and he did the devil horns a lot, but not once did he do the tongue.   

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 09:01:26 AM »
If I've ever seen him do the horns without an extended thumb, I don't remember it (except on the Love Gun album cover).  Horns+extended thumb = "I love you".  I'm sure somebody has to have told him this, right?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 09:34:24 AM »
He's a very loving guy, though. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 04:20:29 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 03:18:04 PM »
Stadler, which one are you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzIgV8hktzw

Lordy, I guess there are tapes.....

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 03:46:09 PM »
Not really a KISS fan (even though I did listen an album or 2 for the first time last week... we need a KISS album thread).

But this is fucking amazing.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 07:15:54 AM »

I'm the fat guy in the Brooks Brothers shirt - I am SO metal - standing behind the douche in the cowboy hat that thinks this is his American Idol audition (he actually pushed that little kid out of the way at one point, so I stepped back so the kid could have a shot).   I'm more visible toward the end (though I didn't look at that particular video; there are two out there).   You can see me walk by Gene and  talk to him briefly.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 04:01:38 PM »

I'm the fat guy in the Brooks Brothers shirt -  .

I'll be wearing Joseph Aboud to the Maiden show next month.

:neverusethis: