Author Topic: Phillipine President Rodrigo Duterte  (Read 239 times)

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
Phillipine President Rodrigo Duterte
« on: June 02, 2017, 11:08:18 AM »
It seems pretty obvious to me that this guy is doing some objectively terrible stuff on a large scale in his country.  By declaring war on drug dealers and users/addicts, he has carte blanche to arrest/kill anyone even suspected of such activity, without any judicial due process (it also seems obvious to me how easily this can be cover for targeting political opponents).  The killings are of course almost never officially carried out by government or police, so they can still have some plausible deniability while still praising their actions.

I work with a Filipino guy, and there is a Filipino woman who works at my laundromat.  I've talked to both of them about this guy, and their response is generally an admission that its brutal, but also that its sometimes necessary.  This surprised me.  I have no idea just how bad the drug problem is there, but I'm surprised to hear that he is widely supported in his country, and by my 2 data points, also by Filipino immigrants to the US.

As long as atrocities are committed against people who aren't you, I guess it's OK.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 11:35:04 AM by jasc15 »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: Phillipine President Rodrigo Duterte
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 11:13:34 AM »