Author Topic: The Queensr˙che Discography Thread  (Read 106051 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The Queensr˙che Discography Thread: The Warning (1984/2003)
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2017, 12:23:58 PM »
It will likely be crickets when he gets around to Dedicated to Chaos

Kade has already said all that ever needs to be said about that turd  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2017, 01:01:05 PM »

For Frequency Unknown, all Brian needs to do is link Kade's review.  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2017, 01:03:55 PM »

Both I've never listened to.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2017, 01:40:42 PM »

Whoops I mixed up my turd like QR albums. To be fair there are several post PL

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2017, 06:24:28 PM »
Personally, I think a studio album a week, with the other stuff in between, is probably a good pace.  But I'm not fussed either way.  Whatever you think is best.

For the most part, I agree.  I think you need to play it as it goes Brian.  I think the best time to post the next entry is whenever discussion starts to dwindle down.  I would expect there to be a lot more discussion around O:M and Empire, so it might be longer than a week there.

This, for sure. 

Also, I would say not to give much time to live albums.  Studio albums are where the real discussion is good, and you don't want to slow the chatter down to a crawl this early in the game.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2017, 05:22:44 AM »
I really love the warning and its one of my favorites. I love that over the top operatic singing, and the songs are cool and catchy. I just can't get enough. Take hold of the flame is utterly incredible.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2017, 09:22:20 AM »
I really love the warning and its one of my favorites. I love that over the top operatic singing, and the songs are cool and catchy. I just can't get enough. Take hold of the flame is utterly incredible.

Yeah, it is firmly in my personal top-10 from them, for sure. I think Roads to Madness and NM 156 are a notch ahead, but Take Hold holds firm in that list for me.

Have you checked out the MYTH demo of the song? It is completely different except for the song title, but showcases some pretty incredible guitar work by Kelly Gray, and it is truly a progressive metal song. More progressive than the Queensryche version for sure.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2017, 09:35:20 AM »
I had never heard it prior to going in search just now because of your post.  Wow, that is VERY different.  They don't even resemble the same song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2017, 09:49:15 AM »
I was ripping my CD's and realized I accidentally brought up Prophecy as if it were on the EP.   My mistake.  (though....the original CD release of the EP did contain this version of Prophecy as its only bonus track...thus my confusion)

Here is the demo version that was recorded during The Warning sessions, and was included on the Decline of Western Civilization Part 2: The Metal Years Official Soundtrack. 

It is very raw.  I probably only like this version because I had been cranking it in my car for over a year before I heard the cleaned up version recorded during RFO. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIGpIK40NgE

EDIT - Obviously, the person who posted this video has the date wrong.  This was recorded during the Warning sessions.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2017, 12:30:45 PM »
That song should have been on the album in my opinion. It would have fit very well sandwiched somewhere in the middle of the "side 1" songs.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2017, 07:29:23 PM »
I love The Warning. I picked it up on a whim after seeing the cover. It looked kinda cheap, but in a good way. I was familiar with Mindcrime but was interested in hearing more stuff in the vein of Queen of the Ryche. I got exactly what I wanted with this album. It was raw, heavy, but also progressive. Mindcrime is great, but this old stuff has a charm to it.

I had no idea about the sequencing and the mix. I don't really have a problem with either really. Nothing about the track order seemed off to me. The Warning is a great opener and En Force complements it quite well. No denying that NM 156 is a great song, but I'm not sure if it works as an opener, but maybe that's just because I'm so used to hearing the album how it was originally released.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2017, 07:42:42 PM »
I had no idea about the sequencing and the mix. I don't really have a problem with either really. Nothing about the track order seemed off to me. The Warning is a great opener and En Force complements it quite well. No denying that NM 156 is a great song, but I'm not sure if it works as an opener, but maybe that's just because I'm so used to hearing the album how it was originally released.

I feel the same way. NM156 was a great closer to Side 1, and Take Hold was a great opener to Side 2.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Queensr˙che Discography Thread: Live in Tokyo (1985)
« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2017, 08:27:27 AM »
Live in Tokyo (1985) (2003 - audio)

Vocals: Geoff Tate
Guitars/Vocals; Chris DeGarmo
Guitars/Vocals: Michael Wilton
Bass/Vocals: Eddie Jackson
Drums: Scott Rockenfield

Remember in the post about The Warning, where we talked about Queensryche completing the sessions for the album and heading to Japan? Those shows were captured for what would become the band's first live concert recording, Live in Tokyo. The dates were Aug. 4 and Aug. 5, 1984, at Nihon Seinen-kan in Tokyo. The band also performed Aug. 7, 1984, at Mainichi Hall in Osaka, Japan. It is unknown whether that show was recorded.

Not surprisingly, given the year, there is a huge lack of information on this release. It was put out officially on VHS, and later on laserdisc in Japan, and the video has been out-of-print ever since. While there are a bunch of pirated versions on DVD and even Blu-ray, for the most part, most of those were taken from the VHS release, which we'll discuss here.

Live in Tokyo
captures Queensryche performing some of its first headline shows as a band (they did a couple on the EP tour). The staging is fairly primitive, with a big “Q” and “R” set up. Setlist-wise, the band performed the following:

NM 156
Prophecy
Deliverance
The Lady Wore Black
Warning
Before The Storm
No Sanctuary
Child Of Fire
Nightrider
En Force
Roads To Madness
Take Hold Of The Flame
Queen Of The Reich

See www.anybodylistening.net/8-4-84.html.

However, the tracklist for the release is the following:

Nightrider
Prophecy
Deliverance
Child of Fire
En Force
Blinded
The Lady Wore Black
Warning
Take Hold of the Flame
Queen of the Reich

Knowing that, when you watch the video, you can absolutely tell where the edits happen. The performance speaks for itself. It's not as tight as people have come to expect of Queensryche, but it really showcases the band's energy. There is some debate whether both shows in Tokyo or both were recorded, and what was used in the final video release. But other than that, not much else is known about the release.

The audio from Live in Tokyo was remastered and re-released in 2003 as an addition to the Queensryche EP. Unfortunately, it was just the Live in Tokyo tracks, and not the full show. But unless Capitol has the full video and audio recording and has a lucrative reason to put them out, it is highly unlikely in my opinion it will ever surface officially.

As an aside, I have both the Aug. 4, and Aug. 7 shows as bootlegs. At least on the audience recordings, there's nothing amiss with how the band performed the songs left off the Live in Tokyo release. However, that doesn't meant there wasn't something wrong with the pro-recorded audio/video, of course.

Next up...the mighty Rage for Order...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2017, 09:30:30 AM »
Might I add:
It was shot on 16mm film, and was also released on Betamax :)
Also, the most likely reason for the video release only being 50 minutes, and not the full show: This was quite normal at the time, to do concert releases ~50 minutes in length.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2017, 09:59:53 AM »
I know I'm late in this post for The Warning but QR FB has posted some rejected album art for The Warning recently

Why Texas? I dunno.. why not?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2017, 10:06:35 AM »
They more look like fan art done more recently, honestly. Glad they went with what they did, if those were actually choices. LOL.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2017, 10:09:48 AM »
They more look like fan art done more recently, honestly. Glad they went with what they did, if those were actually choices. LOL.

Well they said "rejected album art" and such, otherwise yeah I'd think it might have been fan art.

https://www.facebook.com/QueensrycheOfficial/photos/a.183090515157442.43082.163601033773057/1074192582713893/?type=3

https://www.facebook.com/QueensrycheOfficial/photos/a.183090515157442.43082.163601033773057/1069148919884926/?type=3&theater

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2017, 10:29:01 AM »
Yeah, I saw it. Hard to judge 33 years later of course, but I think the right choice was made to pass on those. I am assuming those came from Michael Wilton, who sold his longtime house recently, and probably had those pieces in storage. I had heard there was alternate artwork, but never saw it because it was packed away. Cool that it surfaced finally. Thanks for sharing.  :tup

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2017, 11:09:34 AM »
Hearing the EP's remaster edition, with all these live tracks, it's curious to notice that the way the Warning songs are mixed here are very similar the way that it was done in its studio versions, with the guitars somewhat low. It's curious because the band, like it was said in this discussion, made very clear that they didn't like the album mix at all.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2017, 02:14:10 PM »
As mentioned in my post about The Warning, after I bought it in probably around early '92 or so, it sat largely unappreciated and rarely listened to for a long time.  That wouldn't change until around '96 or so when I obtained an audio version of the Live In Tokyo set.  Here's the scoop:

So, this is back in a time when you could walk into some record stores and they would have silver disk bootlegs.  There was one such place near me where I stumbled upon this:  https://www.discogs.com/Queensryche-Unplugged/release/3533481
Here is the set:
1 I Will Remember   
2 The Killing Words   
3 Della Brown   
4 Silent Lucidity   
5 The Lady Wore Black   
6 Prophecy   
7 Blinded   
8 The Lady Wore Black   
9 Queen Of The Reich   
10 Deliverance   
11 Child Of Fire   
12 En Force   
13 Warning   
14 Take Hold Of The Flame
The first five songs are from the MTV Unplugged show.  The rest are, I believe, from Live In Tokyo.  By this time, I believe LiT was out of print and hard to find, so I had never seen/heard it prior to buying this bootleg.  The performance blew me away.  This is where I truly began to appreciate most of those EP and Warning tracks that I had previously ignored that hadn't grabbed me before.  Part of it is the awesome production compared to the rather flat production of The Warning.  Part of it is the live energy and aggression brought to these songs. 

So, that's the story.  The unfortunate part of the story is that the disk was stolen from my car in '98 or so (along with the others in my CD wallet).  I found another copy on Ebay a few years later.  I was disappointed when it arrived and was just a burned copy with B&W photocopied artwork.  But at least I had the audio again.   I'm gonna take a wild guess that the thieves that broke into my car weren't even Queensryche fans.  I subsequently played out a fantasy sequence in my head of having caught the thieves in the act just as they were about to make off with my stuff and saying something like, "Yo, bro!  If you're really that hard up for my stuff, fine.  But I'm guessing you're not a fan of half the music in there, so gimme back some of the CDs and let's call it good, okay?"  :lol

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2017, 06:45:52 PM »
Didn't know this was a video. I dig the audio version, it's a bit loose but still a lot of fun. Can't get enough of the early QR stuff.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2017, 08:01:37 AM »
Didn't know this was a video. I dig the audio version, it's a bit loose but still a lot of fun. Can't get enough of the early QR stuff.

You should check out (if you haven't already), a publicly-available radio broadcast CD from them called STORMING DETROIT. It's from 1984 and is a headline show. The bootleg has been around for years, but some company apparently got the broadcast, cleaned it up a little and released it. It really showcases Queensryche's early metal years in all their glory.

I'm not covering it here, simply because it isn't an official release. However, you can buy it without a problem on Amazon, and it is the complete show (and very worth it).

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2017, 08:04:52 AM »

You should check out (if you haven't already), a publicly-available radio broadcast CD from them called STORMING DETROIT. It's from 1984 and is a headline show. The bootleg has been around for years, but some company apparently got the broadcast, cleaned it up a little and released it. It really showcases Queensryche's early metal years in all their glory.

I'm not covering it here, simply because it isn't an official release. However, you can buy it without a problem on Amazon, and it is the complete show (and very worth it).
I wouldn't say they cleaned it up. It sounds exactly like one of the copies that's been out there for years.
Another thing is that the FM radio broadcast of the Mindcrime-set in Amsterdam 1990, has also recently been released by a bootleg label - again, it sounds exactly the same as other copies that have been floating around for years.
Definitely avoid buying them people!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2017, 08:13:42 AM »
Setzer, while I (and I'm sure, others as well) appreciate the commentary, it's not your job to challenge and nitpick every time someone posts.  And when you do it repeatedly to the same poster, it begins to look like you are trolling that person, which will not be allowed here.  So I would recommend scaling it back.  It also isn't your job when someone makes a recommendation to insist that people do not buy whatever is being recommended.  If you are against people spending money on bootlegs and feel they should only be traded not bought (and I'm not clear on whether that is your position), then I get it and that's cool.  You are welcome to make your case.  But please do it in such a way that, again, doesn't come across as you just singling out a particular person to challenge what he/she wants to post.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2017, 08:15:40 AM »

I wouldn't say they cleaned it up. It sounds exactly like one of the copies that's been out there for years.
Another thing is that the FM radio broadcast of the Mindcrime-set in Amsterdam 1990, has also recently been released by a bootleg label - again, it sounds exactly the same as other copies that have been floating around for years.
Definitely avoid buying them people!

Thank you bosk.

Setzer,

Please stop. People are allowed to buy what they want to buy. It is out there for public purchase on Amazon and in retail outlets. If the band wanted it stopped, it would do so. It is a live show that people who don't collect bootlegs probably have never had an opportunity to listen to, which is why I recommended it.

In addition, you are incorrect. It has been cleaned up some. A lot of the hiss (but not all) has been removed, making it a much better listen, which is another reason I suggested checking it out.

You may not personally like that, as you're another in the long line of fans who has a passion for live show collecting and trading. I admire that, and shared a similar passion up until about a decade ago. But this thread is to encourage exposure to Queensryche, not sit there and tell people not to check something out because of your personal principles on the issue. And I really would like to avoid that sort of clutter in the thread. Thanks.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mosh

« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2017, 10:17:54 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, Samsara. Having trouble finding that on the bootleg hubs. Is it offlimits now because another company released it? Dunno the legal grey areas there.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2017, 08:27:03 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation, Samsara. Having trouble finding that on the bootleg hubs. Is it offlimits now because another company released it? Dunno the legal grey areas there.

Not sure. I don't really use stuff like DIME and the others any longer. I stopped downloading and collecting years ago. But it would make sense that it would be off limits on DIME, given what I remember from their policies. i sent you a PM with some details.

You'll love the show. Tate sounded AMAZING and they had such energy. I am assuming since this show was a one-off, when Tate thanks "HALLOWEEN" for opening for them, he meant HELLOWEEN -- but I'm not sure. It would have to be pre-Kiske if it was...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2017, 11:52:50 AM »

Not sure. I don't really use stuff like DIME and the others any longer. I stopped downloading and collecting years ago. But it would make sense that it would be off limits on DIME, given what I remember from their policies. i sent you a PM with some details.

You'll love the show. Tate sounded AMAZING and they had such energy. I am assuming since this show was a one-off, when Tate thanks "HALLOWEEN" for opening for them, he meant HELLOWEEN -- but I'm not sure. It would have to be pre-Kiske if it was...

There was a band from the Detroit area in the 80's named Halloween. I remember seeing them come down to Columbus, Ohio and play a co-headlining gig with Chastain at the Alrosa Villa. I couldn't tell you what year it was, but it was in the late 80's. It might have been them?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Mosh

« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2017, 11:54:07 AM »
That sounds right. Helloween had just formed and probably weren't ready to tour America yet.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2017, 11:55:45 AM »
Correct. It would've been Halloween.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2017, 12:09:34 PM »
The Heavy Metal Horror Show- Halloween.

A lower budget band, but they were still pretty good.  Victims of the Night was a decent album.

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2017, 01:18:17 PM »
It was removed from DIME because it had been inactive for too long. Someone did ask on the site if it should be taken down, but it wasn't because it's not an official release from the band :)
https://we.tl/nhf8p5Ve6s

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2017, 04:51:52 PM »
I had the vcr of Live in Tokyo but an ex cut it up along with a few others when she was really mad at me...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2017, 05:48:26 PM »
 :lol

Wow! Hit a guys where it hurts!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2017, 01:50:40 AM »
:lol

Wow! Hit a guys where it hurts!

Indeed. To be fair to her, I deserved it  :facepalm: