Author Topic: The Queensr˙che Discography Thread  (Read 106071 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Queensr˙che Discography Thread: EP (1982/1983)
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2017, 08:06:30 PM »
My intro to QR was rather late, a result of the explosion of Silent Lucidity - power ballads were all the rage in the late 80s and very early 90s.  No respectable album could be released without 1-3 of them.  I had JUST missed them coming through Toronto with LiveCrime, and I will never get over that.  I quickly went through their back catalog, but O:M left such a mark on me at the time, I pretty much shelved all the others, and really didn't give the EP or The Warning it's fair due for many many years.  I can appreciate them for what they are, but in the grand scheme of things in the QR discography, they contain too much hit-and-miss to get a lot of regular airtime with me (which is more than can be said for the 15 years of their albums that were all "miss"  :lol).  Some great tunes, some good tunes, some mediocre tunes - for me, it's about 1/3-1/3-1/3.

I'm not sure how often to do each record, so I'll do The Warning maybe on Monday or Tuesday?

Thanks for the ..um..warning.

:neverusethis:

This will be awesome!!!
Anyway, following big time as Brian definitely knows his Queensryche

Hell yeah.  Looking forward to learning a lot through this thread.

@ PowerSlave ... cool story bro (sincere)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Queensr˙che Discography Thread: The Warning (1984/2003)
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2017, 08:10:02 PM »
I've told my story about this album in part on the forum in the past, so I hope that nobody minds me sounding like a broken record.

At the time that I discovered this album I was still quite young. I was 11 years old at the time that it was released. My musical tastes basically encompassed bands like Kiss, Van Halen and Motley Crue. I had an older brother that I idolized as most younger brothers do, and I would often trail behind him as I'm sure is a normal thing for a little brother to do. Sometime in the winter of 84/85 I began to notice a very different sounding band coming from the stereo in his room. I often annoyed the living shit out of him, so I was barred from entering his room, but the new sound captivated me. I would begin hanging around close to his room each evening waiting to hear this new music. I didn't even know the name of the band, and it didn't really matter at that point. All I knew was that what I was hearing was completely different than everything that I liked up to that point in my short life.

The Warning became the soundtrack for that winter and into the coming spring. We were both hooked through the bag, and listened to the album daily for several months. I remember finally asking him what the name of the band was, and in my juvenile mind thinking that it was the most exotic thing that I had ever seen.

The Warning changed me and my musical tastes forever. This is the album that helped mature my musical tastes, and would allow me to branch out to bands like Iron Maiden. Those were also my first steps towards discovering any form of progressive music. This album is also the standard bearer for the flow of songs on all other albums that I would discover later in life. I still think of albums as having two sides, and the run of songs from THotF to Roads to Madness is the gold standard in my mind. I realize that the album had a different intended track listing, but in this case I'm happy that the record company changed it.

The Warning remains one of my favorite albums of all time. I realize that most fans of the band dismiss it in favor of one of the albums that were to come in the next decade, but I still feel the effects of this album every time that I listen to music. For me music is as essential to life as oxygen and water, so that's a huge thing for me.

Awesome read P-Slave. Thanks for sharing.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2017, 08:15:14 PM »
Yep, cool post, PowerSlave (except for the part about liking Kiss :lol).  :tup :tup

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2017, 08:19:53 PM »
Yep, cool post, PowerSlave (except for the part about liking Kiss :lol).  :tup :tup

Youth is my excuse!!!  :lol
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2017, 08:21:23 PM »
So I was going to see Kiss on the Anilmalize tour.  I knew nothing of the opening band.  When Queensryche came out I was immediately blown away.

Drummer played like Neil Peart. Lead singer sang like a metal opera singer. The dual guitars we're amazing. I immediately went out the next day and got The Warning.  I was hooked.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2017, 08:28:43 PM »
So I was going to see Kiss on the Anilmalize tour. I knew nothing of the opening band.  When Queensryche came out I was immediately blown away.

Drummer played like Neil Peart. Lead singer sang like a metal opera singer. The dual guitars we're amazing. I immediately went out the next day and got The Warning.  I was hooked.

Such epic fail in the first sentence... :lol :lol

Youth is my excuse!!!  :lol

A forgivable one. :tup :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2017, 08:35:45 PM »
You shut your whore mouth Kev. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2017, 08:39:49 PM »
Hey now, you're the one who said you wanted to go to a Kiss concert. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2017, 08:41:38 PM »
8 Kiss concerts bub! :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2017, 08:59:51 PM »
As I've said, my first exposure to QR was before they were even signed.  (though, they were signed very quickly.  I never did own the independent release of the EP....but I've seen a few around these parts....almost bought one a couple of times)

By the time The Warning came out, I was already seeking out the heaviest things available at the time.  (I was just a scant two months from discovering Ride the Lightning on a new release rack)   So after the NWOBHM sound of the EP....The Warning was disappointing.   The boys in the Ryche was correct in their disappointment of the production.   It KILLED it.   I did like some of it.  Take Hold, obviously.  NM156 was my absolute favorite.  Roads to Madness I liked right away.   No Sanctuary was pretty good for a ballad.   Most of the rest of it just left me flat. 

Time has been MUCH kinder to it, and now I'm able to look past the production (also, I'm no longer of the opinion that if it doesn't make me bang my head violently, it must suck).     Take Hold is still a pretty good song, but it's so overplayed that it's gone down the list over the years.   

Roads to Madness
NM 156
No Sanctuary
Before the Storm
Warning
Take Hold of the Flame
Child of the Fire
Deliverance
En Force

But it's actually all really good.   I like it better than Empire....though I know that's a very unpopular opinion.   More on that later.   Suffice to say whenever any band takes a polished and radio friendly approach....I'm not a fan.    Empire, Parallels, The Black Album....all three of these albums were "drop offs" from previous output by all three of the respective bands IMO.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2017, 01:56:43 AM »
Great stories, and I can totally relate. I can easily understand that, in the light of what came after it, The Warning is being perceived as a let down. Production-wise, it certainly is.
But musically, its definetely not a let down for me. I absolutely loved almost all of it. Titletrack is a great intro to the album in my book. That entire run up untill NM 156 is indeed fantastic and I know some very mature and heavy dudes that STILL get teary-eyed up to this day when the intro of Take hold of the Flame starts playing. (Heck, I might even be one of them). I love singing along to 'Child of Fire'.
What I love about the album is that it takes you on a journey, if you let it. I love the diversity in styles. I instantly fell in love with Scott Rockenfield's playing style.
But never is that sense of being on a journey greater as with the album closer, 'Road to Madness'. It is just flawless, in my opinion. As I think of it, Queensryche really eased me into the whole 'prog-metal' genre, so when DT came along, I was ready for it. I only regret never having seen them live and probably never will.

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2017, 01:59:16 AM »
My first exposure to The Warning was being given the CD by a friend at University who'd bought it at the same time as Mindcrime and really didn't like it. It didn't really sit that well with me at the time either...

...and it's only since I found out that NM-156 should open the album, and upon realising that the end of Roads To Madness loops back into the start of NM-156 it's so obvious that was the intention I'm almost embarrassed I'd not noticed it before, that it all started to make a bit more sense. In my opinion, The Warning is a rubbish opener to the record (with Tate's quacking at its most egregious) and NM-156 completely interrupted the flow of the album when shoved into the middle of it. Now, NM-156 is one of my favourites off the record and I've not listened to the album in its released order since.

Roads To Madness is a wonderful song, Take Hold Of The Flame has probably been overplayed a bit but is still a great song. The rest of the album is solid, but I think part of my problem with The Warning (the album) is that Tate's in full bore melodramatic mode without quite having the music to sing over that really supported the histrionics... not to worry, that wouldn't be a problem on the next release!

I think The Warning is a band evolving from wearing their influences on their sleeves into a much more unique affair and as such it arguably takes a slight backward step from the promise of the EP, but it was probably a necessary step they needed to take.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2017, 08:42:58 AM »
I’m late to this thread, didn’t find the time but here’s some random comments from my part.

I came to know Queensryche with Operation: Mindcrime. Followed them closely from then on and also went backwards in their discography. Actually QR was one of the few bands my younger sister introduced to me, normally it was the other way round.

Queensryche EP

Coming from Mindcrime and RFO and The Warning to this EP, it is more than a little bit rough but I like it for what it is. The songs are good if sometimes a little unpolished and Tate shows he has a gigantic range. Other than that I don’t find his vocals that amazing (that would come later) as others seem to do, he’s to shrill and sometimes to close to hysterical wailing.

Greatest singer of his era?

Geoff had talent but apart from Mindcrime and Empire which have phenomenal vocal performances, he’s not up there with the best imo. Controversial I guess, but as I said on the EP he’s more wailing than singing. He developed his voice on The Warning and RFO but still lacked some warmth on his voice, it was mostly his range that impressed me from the beginning and not necessarliy the sound of his voice. Then came Mindcrime and Empire and he was phenomenal on that two records, after that it’s all downhill, his voice began to crack on Promised Land and every effort after that was worse. He still has a characteristic voice, I give him that, but for a long time he had this nasal whining when singing live and he has lost most of his range.

For the be considered the best he had to have more longevity and less douchebaggery. But that’s just me.

Douchebag?

I don’t pretend to know Geoff from the beginning but at the end of the 80s/beginning of the 90s there were a lot of interviews in music magazines and on music television with him, and for me he came across as being arrogant and presumptuous. He just wasn’t a likeable guy from what I saw/read. So maybe he had it all in him from the beginning.

The Warning

Some early highlights on this one. Take Hold Of The Flame, Roads To Madness are great and the rest isn’t shabby either. But NM 156 takes the cake, that song is just phenomenal and shows the more progressive side that was to come. The machine voice, the odd rhythms, the soaring chorus, the twin guitar solo, everything is just great. One of my alltime favorite QR songs.
I don’t mind the altered track order and I didn’t know it at the time, but the meddling with the production was a big mistake. The production sounds dated and cheap.
But still a good effort for a “debut” longplaying record.

Anyway, great thread, great insights into the band (thanks Samsara) and the thoughts and stories of others.  :metal :metal :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2017, 08:48:11 AM »
But never is that sense of being on a journey greater as with the album closer, 'Road to Madness'. It is just flawless, in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree.  That song has so much power and atmosphere.  They really had an outstanding run of album-closing epics that had this similar epic kind of vibe for a long time, and Roads was the template.  It really soars live (although I hated that they did abridged versions of it for so long rather than playing the entire thing).

As I think of it, Queensryche really eased me into the whole 'prog-metal' genre, so when DT came along, I was ready for it.

Yeah, that really describes my journey as well.  To this day, I don't really consider them "prog-metal" and feel that label is a stretch when applied to them.  But they definitely had elements that paved the way and provided a transition from much more straightforward songwriting to the more complexity-driven subgenre.

I only regret never having seen them live and probably never will.

You should check out the current lineup.  Yeah, it's different.  But this lineup really does do justice to the early material, even if it isn't the same vibe as when it was first played so many years ago.  And they just put on a flat-out solid show.  I honestly don't know how much longer the band will continue, so I would really make an effort to see this lineup if they come near you.  I don't think you will be disappointed.

I think The Warning is a band evolving from wearing their influences on their sleeves into a much more unique affair and as such it arguably takes a slight backward step from the promise of the EP, but it was probably a necessary step they needed to take.

Interesting take.  I'm not sure I consider it a "backward" step, but it is a step in a slightly different direction, that's for sure.  But you see that with a LOT of bands between their debut and sophomore releases.  I think part of that is just the natural evolution of "finding" themselves and their "true sound."  Part of it is often either the label influence and the desire on the initial release to not sound TOO different than what is popular.  And part of it is often just the HUGE jump in growth from being basically a garage or small club band and throwing together some tunes to being a working, touring band after that first album, and really sitting down to write some songs with that experience under one's belt.  Even though a slightly different form of rock, I like to look at Cinderella as a good example.  Their debut was very much the typical slick, polished standard '80s glam metal approach.  But they took a pretty big departure on Long, Cold Winter and we saw that they really at their core wanted to have a VERY heavy blues and R&B influence, and that REALLY permeated their next three releases heavily.  So it was definitely a matter of taking what worked on the first album, but bringing out more of their roots and influences, combining that with their newfound experience, and finding their "core sound" as part of all of that rolled together.  I see a very similar evolution with Queensryche (and many others).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2017, 08:51:57 AM »
For me, very much like my reaction to the EP songs upon first hearing them, I didn't quite like the tunes from The Warning when I heard them. But since that time, the record has grown on me so much that I probably put it second to Mindcrime. Sure, the production sucks (which is crazy considering the name James Guthrie attached to it, but makes sense when you find out the story behind Val Garay remixing it). But when I count how many songs I legitimately think are bad ass on the album, it's undeniable.

(my personal take)

All Time Classics - NM 156, Roads to Madness, Take Hold of the Flame
Excellent - No Sanctuary, En Force, Deliverance
Very Good - Child of Fire
Average to Filler - Warning, Before the Storm

>>>>That's seven out of nine that stand out above the "average" or "filler" line for me, personally. That's saying something.

I've been a huge broken record for years about the mix and track sequence (and that's an understatement). But I guess for me, I didn't like the record as much as I do now until I re-sequenced it. I always liked the tracks I put above, but The Warning simply wasn't a record I listened to often from front-to-back, and I'm an album guy, in terms of my listening habits. Years ago (gotta be more than a decade now), when I was told what the correct order was, the flow just blew me away, and I found myself just loving the record from a top-to-bottom experience. And if you mess around with the EQ a bit, you can get a decent enough sound. My opinion literally changed overnight after that.

I highly doubt it will ever be remixed and re-sequenced. I think that ship sailed when they had the opportunity in 2003 for the remaster. But man, how I'd love to hear that original cassette master. Wilton has his, as I am sure Chris does as well. But given what transpired in the band, I doubt a Tate-less Queensryche is going to do a project where really only one of the original band members would profit from (Wilton is the only one in current QR that is a songwriter on the record).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2017, 09:06:28 AM »
(my personal take)

All Time Classics - NM 156, Roads to Madness, Take Hold of the Flame
Excellent - No Sanctuary, En Force, Deliverance
Very Good - Child of Fire
Average to Filler - Warning, Before the Storm

>>>>That's seven out of nine that stand out above the "average" or "filler" line for me, personally. That's saying something.

Wow, that's pretty much where I would put every song on the album as well.  Dead on, for my tastes.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2017, 10:19:38 AM »
I always dug most of the songs on the Warning, but it wasn't until the band started playing about half of the album in 2012, after changing singers, that I really started getting into songs like Child of Fire.  I became a fan in the mid-late 90's, so the only songs I'd heard them play live were NM156 and Take Hold of the Flame. 

Seeing them play some of these songs live after ignoring them for so many years was really special...including Prophecy.  That is such a killer song.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2017, 10:40:42 AM »
I remember when they pulled En Force and No Sanctuary out of mothballs for the 2001 fan club show in Seattle. It was pretty killer to finally hear them live, even with Kelly Gray on guitar instead of Chris. Before 2012, however, they just didn't play Warning or Child of Fire at all, since the Rage tour (I think then it was Warning -- Child of Fire had been last played, if memory serves, on the Warning tour).

The current lineup is sort of back to playing the hits again, but it was really cool to hear the old songs from The Warning in 2012 and 2013.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2017, 11:02:33 AM »
I don't know if it makes sense, but now hearing Warning in the original sequence of tracks, it seems to me that this album has more in commom with RFO than before.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »
I don't know if it makes sense, but now hearing Warning in the original sequence of tracks, it seems to me that this album has more in commom with RFO than before.

Listen to NM 156, and then Screaming in Digital. They two are related. Queensryche played them back to back in 1989, and then again (albeit shortened versions) in 1995. And Rage has a lyrical theme in which one part is technology. I'll mention it more in the writeup on RFO in the next week or so...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2017, 11:18:58 AM »
Listen to NM 156, and then Screaming in Digital. They two are related. Queensryche played them back to back in 1989, and then again (albeit shortened versions) in 1995. And Rage has a lyrical theme in which one part is technology. I'll mention it more in the writeup on RFO in the next week or so...

I don't have the bootlegs here with me, and it has been awhile, but wasn't it basically a medley on the PL tour with NM156, Screaming, and Neue Regel?  I seem to recall that, but my memory may not be 100% accurate on that.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2017, 12:12:57 PM »
On PL, it went Screaming in Digital>NM 156 (medley), My Global Mind, Neue Regel (abridged - stops before solo), I Remember Now...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline romdrums

« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2017, 12:13:32 PM »

I don't have the bootlegs here with me, and it has been awhile, but wasn't it basically a medley on the PL tour with NM156, Screaming, and Neue Regel?  I seem to recall that, but my memory may not be 100% accurate on that.

I saw them at Wings stadium in Kalamazoo on the opening night of the US leg of that tour, and I believe it went SiD/NM156 into My Global Mind and Neue Regel.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2017, 12:41:48 PM »

Cool to Know :tup
But what I was trying to say, despite the lyrical content, is that I"m hearing more similarities musically between Warning and RFO than before. I don't know, maybe begginning the album with a song that it's the most like RFO style, it sets a different tone for the rest of the album.
By the way, this thread and the IM thread are really are teaching a lot I didn't know about these two bands. Thanks a lot, guys!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2017, 01:19:27 PM »
There's definitely some prog sensibilities scattered throughout The Warning, especially on NM 156. Overall though, I think the album- and later also with Operation: Mindcrime- lends itself more to the metal side of things and isn't quite "prog metal" for me.

That being said, I definitely see Rage for Order as a thru-and-thru prog metal album, albeit a very different approach to the genre than as typically recognized. It's just too complex and experimental an album for me to deem it as "heavy metal with some prog moments here and there" like I can with The Warning or Operation: Mindcrime.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2017, 01:49:45 PM »
Based on the Kerrang magazine review, I rushed out and bought The Warning as soon as it was released (I was still in college back then).  As I intimated in my earlier post, I was a little disappointed by the polished production... it sounded all too clean, cold and clinical, relative to what we heard on the ep.  Over time, however, I've grown to like the production, a lot.  As for the songs themselves, I don't think there's a weak song on the album. 

I always found it serendipitous that The Warning was released in 1984, because the album (and what Queensryche would go on to do as a band) evoked so much of the imagery that George Orwell injected into his novel, i.e. visions of a dystopian future filled with thoughtcrime, newspeak, Big Brother, etc.  The Warning could be the soundtrack for a movie like The Hunger Games, and "The Flame" would be Katniss Everdeen.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2017, 01:53:20 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

That's a 5 Headbanger for the thread starter!

Back in the 80's I LOVED me some Ryche!  I think it was '86 when someone gave me the Rage For Order cassette.  Over all, I really liked it.  At the time I was big into Maiden, Priest, Dio and Rush.  RFO was really unique sounding to me and I then got a hold of the Tokyo video....WOW!!!  I was floored!  Everything about that video was awesome.  The  vocals, the guitars.. SR's bitchin drum kit with all the chains!  Most of all, was the material itself.  Most of it I had never heard and came to find out that a lot was from The Warning LP.

I bought The Warning, which was actually the 2nd Compact Disc I ever owned.  #1 was Ride the Lightning  :metal. I absolutely fell in love with The Warning.  Not a bad or even mediocre song on the whole album.  Yeah, the sound wasn't the greatest mix wise, but the material was so good I didn't really care.  It was MUCH better than RFO to me.  The dark apocalyptic feel, soaring vocals...man... just Incredible!!  The one question I've always asked is.... Is this a concept album?  If not, it is surely thematic.  At the height of the cold war it just conjured up images to me of a Nuclear nightmare.  Fantastic lyrics, especially with songs like Roads to Madness.  This album to me is only eclipsed by Mindcrime, and will always be a truly special album to me.

Ranking -

Excellent

Roads to Madness
N M 156
En Force
Take Hold of the Flame

Great

Child of Fire
Before the Storm
No Sanctuary
Warning
Deliverance

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2017, 03:06:15 PM »
"NM156" could quite possibly be Queensryche's coolest tune; it might be a toss up between that and "The Whisper".

Yeah, I'm a big fan of both of those.

I loved the album but certainly struggled with the dull, lifeless production..
Roads to Madness is epic, as my kids would say.
I have burned a copy with the intended running order and I prefer it. It's weird if I hear it the normal way now.
A remix would do the album wonders though.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2017, 07:44:42 AM »
So, after reading this thread, I went back and re-sequence The Warning to the original track order.  It definitely does have a better flow to it that way.  And, while I always thought the production sounded off (or awful), I never realized just how far down the guitars are in the mix.  It's a shame.  Having them more up front could certainly have given the album's sound some more balls.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2017, 08:41:18 AM »
So, after reading this thread, I went back and re-sequence The Warning to the original track order.  It definitely does have a better flow to it that way.  And, while I always thought the production sounded off (or awful), I never realized just how far down the guitars are in the mix.  It's a shame.  Having them more up front could certainly have given the album's sound some more balls.

Obviously, I am very much in agreement. A lot of folks think it is fine the way it is, but it just makes more sense to me re-sequenced. If you screw around with the EQ, you can get the sound a little bit better, but in the end, not much we can do. I had always wondered how the guys who uploaded that "Justice for Jason" YouTube video, where And Justice for All is tweaked to move the bass higher in the mix...how did that do that? Can it be done with The Warning to move the guitars up? No idea.

Question for those following the thread -- do you want to wait a week for Live in Tokyo, or do you want me to post it this weekend, and then follow up with Rage on like Wednesday or Thursday? Or do you want me to keep it a week apart, regardless of the release?

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2017, 08:43:13 AM »
Personally, I think a studio album a week, with the other stuff in between, is probably a good pace.  But I'm not fussed either way.  Whatever you think is best.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2017, 10:34:38 AM »
Personally, I think a studio album a week, with the other stuff in between, is probably a good pace.  But I'm not fussed either way.  Whatever you think is best.

For the most part, I agree.  I think you need to play it as it goes Brian.  I think the best time to post the next entry is whenever discussion starts to dwindle down.  I would expect there to be a lot more discussion around O:M and Empire, so it might be longer than a week there.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2017, 11:27:20 AM »
It will likely be crickets when he gets around to Dedicated to Chaos

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2017, 11:35:36 AM »
It will likely be crickets when he gets around to Dedicated to Chaos

Surprisingly, I think some of the stuff to say about the Tateryche era of the band is going to engage some people. Anyway, have a good weekend folks. Looking forward to reading the rest of the commentary about The Warning next week! I've got Live in Tokyo written, and working on Rage for Order...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2017, 12:02:35 PM »
I had always wondered how the guys who uploaded that "Justice for Jason" YouTube video, where And Justice for All is tweaked to move the bass higher in the mix...how did that do that? Can it be done with The Warning to move the guitars up? No idea.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, the stem tracks (individual instrument tracks) of Blackened and/or other AJFA tracks were ripped from Guitar Hero or Rock Band, and the bass was bumped up or mixed in to the album version of the song(s). So unless there are Warning tracks that were also on Guitar Hero, Rock Band, etc. or the stem tracks are floating around out there somewhere, you won't be able to really do the same thing to boost the guitars.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.