Author Topic: The Queensrÿche Discography Thread  (Read 106112 times)

Offline bill1971

Re: The Queensrÿche Discography Thread: 2012 Upheaval and Frequency Unknown
« Reply #980 on: September 21, 2017, 05:32:01 PM »
This period made me give on on QR and Tate. I had zero interest in QR without Tate and zero interest in Tate on his own. I tried to listen to the two QR albums without Tate and could not get into them. I also did not buy FU orDedicated to Chaos before that, but did buy a few songs off Dedicated. However starting this year I started to hear very positive feedback on Tate's acoustic show. Saw a few clips on Youtube, saw a few interviews with him, he seemed like a different man, more at peace with himself. Enough time had passed from the spitting incident so I decided to see the acoustic show. So glad I did. Fantastic set list and Tate sounded very good but before that I took about a six year break from anything Tate or QR related.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #981 on: September 21, 2017, 05:36:53 PM »
To each their own, but your missing out on two really good records in the S/T and Condition Human albums. One listen to those helps erase many years of pain  :metal

Edit: but then again, hell. DTC and Frequency Unknown are near rock masterpieces when compared to Queen's Hot Space, sorry Dragon Attack  :lol but you brought it up, and what balls you had as a queen fan to do so  :hefdaddy

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #982 on: September 21, 2017, 05:45:56 PM »
Anyway, Wolfking wrote the best review of FU, it's in the Classic Metal thread. Well worth a read. Certainly more entertaining than the album.

:rollin  I had forgotten about that.

Cheers guys. 

I guess I don't need to add anything in here at this point.  My feelings are known.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #983 on: September 21, 2017, 06:14:35 PM »
Anyway, Wolfking wrote the best review of FU, it's in the Classic Metal thread. Well worth a read. Certainly more entertaining than the album.

Cheers guys. 

I guess I don't need to add anything in here at this point.  My feelings are known.  :lol

Since you have so many posts, can you link it here or repost. I am very curious now.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #984 on: September 21, 2017, 06:29:55 PM »
^
and...Samsara, you forgot these 'gems' from Mr. Tate:

'Silver Bells' from 2008   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upp3sXYFKks 
and 'Summerwind' from 2011  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNETnBjEtGY

'Wot He Do?'  It sure did :censored

(btw, for 35 years, the official Side One version of 'Hot Space' has never existed on any of my formats.  Thank goodness for a few solo tracks from that era.....)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #985 on: September 22, 2017, 02:38:08 AM »
Thanks again fort he write-ups, even if they just present a short version of what happened. No need to go in further as that chapter is thankfully closed.

3) Wilton was informed of an alleged plan of the Tates to have the band do a 25th Anniversary tour of Operation: Mindcrime in 2013, and when it concluded, Tate would walk away from Queensryche, leaving them without a singer.

Didn’t hear this before, that’s interesting. I wonder what Tate’s motivation was, even without all the drama I can’t imagine him drawing a larger crowd solo that with QR.

Then, prior to the show, in a fit of rage, he spit at and punched Michael Wilton in the eye, tore down Scott Rockenfield's drum kit, and went into a rage and had to be restrained by members of the crew. This delayed the show. When the band finally got cleaned up, they elected to move forward with the gig. During the show, Tate continually spit on Wilton and Rockenfield. At the end of the gig, the band and Tate were separated, and the parties flew home separately.

I‘m certainly not one for violence and appreciate almost every nonviolent approach but I still have to wonder why no-one just gave Tate a well deserved beating.

Never listened to FU, never will accept it as a Queensryche record, no matter what the album sleeve says. There’s just too much negative vibe from Tate connected with this record.

Never knew Todd LaTorre before he joined QR, but at that point I would have been content with any singer other than Tate.

And this is so true:

I quite enjoyed the drama, in a sick, twisted way. I blamed Tate for ruining my once favourite band so took some delight in his downfall.
I did also blame the rest of the band for allowing him to do it. They should have stood up for their band.

And yes, wolfking's review of FU is the best thing that came out of that record  :metal :metal :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #986 on: September 22, 2017, 02:52:17 AM »
I have to confess that these kind of drama is our TV gossip. I mean, "normal" people follow the Brangelina split and the likes, we music aficionados can't help but follow intensely this kind of band breakups.

And for all the heated discussions we're having in the other thread about Mike Portnoy's band, and sometimes the things he says on social media... let's just be happy the DT split was nowhere near as ugly as the Queensryche's one. Yeah, there were some comments here and there from time to time but in the grand scheme of things, it was absolutely civil.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #987 on: September 22, 2017, 03:55:42 AM »

Cheers guys. 

Link, please?  ;)

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #988 on: September 22, 2017, 04:32:38 AM »
I simply don't regard FU as a Queensryche album, it's a rushed Tate solo record with the QR name slapped on it for some pathetic "if I get there first I prove I'm really QR all by myself" chest beating codstwaddle reasoning. Cold isn't a half bad song but the rest is eminently forgettable... and the whole record sounds like cheap shit. I did hear the remixes and they sounded worse to my ears.

The most entertaining thing about it is the Fremdschamen intrinsic to the re-recorded QR classics. Holy fuck are they bad, and in a genuinely "so bad they're good" funny way.

I've often wondered why the original copyright holders let it go that they'd blatantly lifted recordings from the original song for Jet City Woman (e.g. "echo in my head like a scream"). There might even be backing vocals lifted from the original too as there's a hint of DeGarmos voice to the ones in the chorus. I guess it just wasn't worth it financially as those re-recordings probably haven't generated enough income to buy dog food for a month since they were released.

Anyway, after this Tate was officially gone from QR and thank heavens for that.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #989 on: September 22, 2017, 05:40:57 AM »
I've been pretty busy, so I'm lagging behind quite a bit :lol I listened to Mindcrime 2, and while it starts out alright, after The Hands it takes a nosedive. It gets better with Re-Arrange You and The Chase, but towards the end the album just plods along and it feels like Tate and Slater ran out of decent ideas and just phoned in the rest, because they knew it would sell because of the magic word "mindcrime".

Take Cover has a few nice versions, like Welcome to the Machine and Red Rain, and the song picks are luckily not the most obvious, but Tate's performance drags the record down. It's just depressing how a once legendary singer stopped caring and was content with becoming the weak link of his band.

I'll listen to American Soldier, D2C and FU :soon:. Based on the songs I've heard I'm not expecting much from the latter 2, but we'll see how it goes.
Then, prior to the show, in a fit of rage, he spit at and punched Michael Wilton in the eye, tore down Scott Rockenfield's drum kit, and went into a rage and had to be restrained by members of the crew. This delayed the show. When the band finally got cleaned up, they elected to move forward with the gig. During the show, Tate continually spit on Wilton and Rockenfield. At the end of the gig, the band and Tate were separated, and the parties flew home separately.

I‘m certainly not one for violence and appreciate almost every nonviolent approach but I still have to wonder why no-one just gave Tate a well deserved beating.
I'm just speculating, but I'd guess they were too taken aback and shocked to do anything in that situation. Also since nobody fought back, Tate remained the only one who acted violently during the incident, which might've helped the band's case in court and probably made it even easier for fans to side with them once the drama became public.

I remember the controversy from 5 years ago and it made me check out QR for the time. I was perversely fascinated by the series of events and was following the news on Blabbermouth and reading the court docs. I couldn't get into the music at that point yet, but I warmed up to it a couple of years later and finally got into the band.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #990 on: September 22, 2017, 06:21:29 AM »

Cheers guys. 

Since you have so many posts, can you link it here or repost. I am very curious now.

There you go mate.  Nothing much, just me posting some thoughts and opinions while listening to the album.  Quite a few grammer errors too as I was getting angrier haha;

Okay, as I made it known I quite liked Cold and said that I would buy the album and see what we get, mainly for the guest spots.  I also didn't mind a few songs from Tate's last solo cd.  So, I received the album in the mails after I think spending 14 or 15 dollars on it.  So I'm going to post a few thoughts on my initial first listen.  You can call me stupid now, but hey. it's $15, Tate will probably need it.

Also, I turned off Headspace to listen to this.

Cold: Wow, coming straight from Headspace, this album really does sound like shit.  It's demo quality, with cheap sounding guitars, Geoff sounds actually a bit drowned out due to the muddiness.  The song is still okay.  The thing is, this isn't Queensryche, and it doesn't sound like Queensryche.  Also, I do like Kelly's guitar solo.  Lukas Rossi writes this with Tate so I'm guessing most of the ideas here are from Lukas.

Also, the lyrics aren't in the booklet, which pisses me off a bit.  I never read them, but I think at least the booklet should have relevent info and lyrics.

Dare:  Pretty modern rock sorta of intro, and I'm not liking where it's going.  Typical childish type chorus. "You wouldn't dare hurt me, cause you just might get hurt yourself."  Fuck off Geoff, this song is hurting my ears at the moment and makes me want to hurt you.  This one is written by Tate and Slater which says a lot.

Give It To You:  What the hell is Geoff doing at the start, sounds like shit.  This one is from Slate and Tate and Chris Cox, whoever that is.  The verses are terrible, but the chorus isn't too bad, but really not enough to save the song.  It's better than the last song.  "How do you like me so far"  Hmm......really Geoff.  Robert Sarzo does an absolutely horrific guitar solo here, good lord, it's cringeworthy.

Slave:  Nice heavy riff starts us off here, could be okay.  Just looked at the credits, Tate and Slater, oh dear.  Jesus, fucking awful chorus.  Everything seems off time or slightly out of sync with each other.  I don't know who Chris Cannella is but his solo was nothing special.  Alright, but nothing special.

Okay, I'm actually starting to get a bit fucking angry now, I had a shit day at work and this isn't helping.

In the Hands of God: "1..... 2" What the fuck Geoff, what??  Okay, Lukas Rossi wrote this one aswell so let's see.  Hmm....the atmosphere here is not too bad, but the chorus isn't really going anywhere. Ty Tabor adds a really nice melodic solo here which fits with the song really well.  Better than the last three but that's not saying much.

Running Backwards:  Now, Martin Irigoyen (whoever that is) adds to Slater and Tate song writing for dummies:  Geoff in his gay lord rapping mode, oh dear with some terribly of key notes.  The music for the chorus isn't too bad but Geoff's vocal melodies are shit and just all over the place.  KK Downing adds some really nice shred but the recording of his solo sounds shit and is mixed so bad you can hardly hear it.  It's like he did it in his home studio in 5 minutes and said, "yeah, that'll do."  The solo however is really nice and great to hear KK on tape again.

Life Without You: Slater and Tate back at it again.  This sounds okay at the start, and I like how they use the Midcrime type clean chords in the verses.  Of course, Geoff ruins this totally, those vocals in the chorus are terrible.  Fucking Brad Gillis does his best to save this shit with an excellent Gillis style shred fest which pricks the ears, but it ends to soon when you hear Tater again.  "Life Without You"  SHUT THE FUCK UP, this is so annoying,  why would Gillis and Downing play on this shit!

Everything: Same writing team as Running Backwards here and I'm pretty over it.  I gave Geoff the benefit of the doubt and tried to show him some love, but his shitting on me, or should I say spitting on me again.  The intro riff here is not bad, pretty modern sounding, and I like the clean guitars in the verses, and Geoff tries hard to hold a melody. FUCKING SHIT CHORUS, and Geoff sounds like an out of tune dying cow!  "We could have everything."  Man, this is painful, really painful.  Ty Tabor provides some nice guitar, he's trying to save it but Geoff singing over the top of him makes him invalid.

Fallen:  I just don't care anymore.  But Meniketti is on this one, so let's listen.  Boring after the first minute.  Wow, after 2 minutes this is just rubbish, Dave Meniketti actually was happy to play on this, that's quite depressing.  As expected, absolute killer solo from Dave, but again, he can't save this rubbish.  The outro solo however is incredible.

The Weight of the World:  Oh Geoff, you sound fucking done bro, just give up and kill yourself please.  Wow, just saw Chris Poland is going to do the solo on this, poor bastard.  Geoff simply has insulted all these great guitar players, but one must think how stupid are they for playing on this, it's mind boggling.  Okay, getting into the heavier section this isn't too bad, and Tate is actually trying to show a bit of real emotion and put in an effort here.  The atmpshere in the middle is actually quite good.  Beisdes Chris having an awful tone, he shreds this, incredible, love this guy's playing.  He might have saved this song.

Okay, for Geoff to release this and call it Queensryche, is an absolute joke.  I will give this another chance or two, but this album is a steaming pile of shit.  And every guest is more of an idiot for being part of it.  I gave Geoff the benefit of the doubt and paid for his album and he repays me with this fake bullshit.  Fuck you Geoff, I'm done.

Oh shit, there's 4 covers I still have to listen to;

I Don't Believe In Love:  Who the hell is this Martin guy that did the music on these, he should be shot.  Wait, I just heard Tate first couple of lines, is this for real?   Wow, this is beyond a trainwreck.  Tate's fucking kidding us with this chorus right?  Wow...........just.........wow......to release this is just.......wow.

The cover is even more funny after hearing the cd.  FU Tate.

Empire:  These programmed drums sound terrible, absolutely terrible.  Why is he re-recording these, he sounds terrible, tired, emotionless and how about those backups before the chorus lol.  And then the chours.  :rollin

Jet City Woman:  Jesus, those chorus sound a bit sharp don't they?  These really are possibly the worst things ever recorded.  Fuck, these vocals are just absymal, my god.

Silent Lucidity:  Turned it off after a minute and put Headspace back on.

I seriously think Geoff is taking the piss out of us.  I stuck with this guy over the last ten years, but this is just too much.  I am looking forward to the real QR in June, I might buy about 10 copies.

I think I might throw my copy of FU at some clown walking down the street tomorrow for laughs.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:30:45 AM by wolfking »

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #991 on: September 22, 2017, 06:41:04 AM »
 :lol

I forgot that Lukas Rossi was involved in that album.  From winning Rock Star: Supernova (as if that's a fantastic place to start) to.....that. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: September 22, 2017, 06:58:12 AM »
:lol

I forgot that Lukas Rossi was involved in that album.  From winning Rock Star: Supernova (as if that's a fantastic place to start) to.....that.

That's what I always found so bizarre.  Won that show which which sucked and lead to nothing and then shows up years later writing with Tate, WTF?!  :lol

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #993 on: September 22, 2017, 07:02:37 AM »
I love this on the fly review.  :tup

:biggrin: You used fuck eleven times and FU once, very in line with the record title.  :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #994 on: September 22, 2017, 07:16:40 AM »
For anyone who still had any support for Tate, listen to this from FU . He charged money for this, and these rerecords were obviously an attempt to drag people in with something familiar  :\

https://youtu.be/MZflrmwhwZs

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #995 on: September 22, 2017, 07:38:35 AM »
For anyone who still had any support for Tate, listen to this from FU . He charged money for this, and these rerecords were obviously an attempt to drag people in with something familiar  :\

If I'm not mistaken, they were (also) contractually required by Cleopatra records.  That label had a history of releasing compilation albums, so they could have added the re-records as stipulation to Geoff's contract.  You give us the re-recorded hit songs so we can pimp them on a bunch of compilation albums, and we'll put out your new album.

But yes, they are awful, half-assed renditions of the songs.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #996 on: September 22, 2017, 07:47:57 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, they were (also) contractually required by Cleopatra records. 

If I were in charge of Cleopatra records I would sue Geoff for not fulfilling his contract. No way these re-recorded versions could be used for something remotely successful.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #997 on: September 22, 2017, 08:32:23 AM »
I think the era was really tough to stomach, but the nice thing for most QR fans is that the band found a vocalist that they could move forward with and save their careers. QR was nosediving, and La Torre's voice and how he spoke publicly in such an even-keeled manner really helped people re-invest time, thought, and money into checking them out. It was certainly a battle between Tate's version and the Wilton/Jackson/Rockenfield version.

Looking at it objectively, while La Torre-fronted QR was more popular with fans who were clued in to things, they also had trouble playing gigs, because Tate's version had the better booking agent. It was only as people saw Tate's version, and realized it wasn't the same band, that they went online and found out what went down. Then over the next year, you saw more and more people sway to the La Torre version, once they realized what went down, and most importantly, who was delivering the goods live.

When the two bands' respective records came out, it was a no-brainer. Tate-QR was deadpanned by the media, while LT-Queensryche was praised. So while they started slow, LT-QR won the public relations battle.

The legal battle was a lot closer than people realize, and it is good that it settled. I mean, it's all there in the documents, but there were some very key arguments on the Tate side that could have prevented LT-QR from winning. That's not to say what Tate's actions were in the right, but some of the finer points regarding band agreements and corporation and business law were in his favor. But Tate's attorneys were also not, IMO, as vested (heh) as LT-QR's was. Tom Osinski is a hell of a nice guy, but he's also a shrewd lawyer (and that is a compliment). But had it gone to court, it would have been a toss up what happened.

I'm glad it didn't, for both fan and personal-related reasons. But I think generally what happened was Tate knew he lost the public relations battle, and both sides were running out of money. So, Tate blinked first.

I do think he should have held out for more than he got in terms of rights to albums. I remember suggesting to Osinski to offer Tate the rights to everything post-HITNF and not Tribe (so, that means Q2k, MC II, American Soldier, Dedicated to Chaos) as part of a settlement offer. I figured if LT-QR was never gonna play that stuff, why not just dangle it in front of Tate and see if he'd bite. Particularly since OM II was a bit of a cash cow (remember, it recouped the money owed to the label in just a couple months, so all money from it goes back to the writers). They valued it all, but I'm not sure they offered it. In the end, Tate took money and the performance rights to both Mindcrime records instead.

Frankly, in retrospect, knowing the standing his legal argument had regarding the corporate agreement and voting, I think he should have pushed for more, but again, he blinked and they were able to settle. Everyone moved forward, and that's a good thing.

p.s. thanks for all the nice words regarding the write-ups. One last one for Wednesday. And Mladen, no worries on the whole speed thing. I didn't take offense or anything. I did speed them up these last couple. I just wanted to be done with it. :)

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #998 on: September 22, 2017, 08:42:48 AM »
I YouTube'd Fallen just now because I watned to revisit Meniketti's solo.  I'm pretty sure I heard a couple of songs back when the album came out, but don't recall ANY of it whatsoever.  After that, I just let it go as it went into a FU playlist loop.  So I've heard a few of the songs now with "fresh" ears, and this album has a few BIG hurdles for me:

1.  It carries the stigma of what was going on between Geoff and the band.  That is too big for me to get over and push out of my mind when listening to this.  For those who say they don't care about band drama and how it should be "ONLY about the music," you have a right to feel that way.  Often, that's where I come down on a lot of albums.  But there is a line for me, and when that line gets crossed where I can no longer palate the artist because of his/her behavior, that hinders my enjoyment of the music.  It goes without saying that that is the case with this album.  That has little or nothing to do with the music itself, but that's a problem for me, and it is a BIG one.  Geoff's conduct leading up to this, and even his conduct on this project (the album title, calling it "Queensryche," etc.) seriously taint the entire project for me.

2.  The stigma of outside writers.  This is another one I can get past to a certain extent.  But it depends.  The songs REALLY have to be there.  American Soldier was one of those albums where I could suspend the outside writer stigma and just enjoy some really enjoyable songs.  But where the songs are weaker, it's harder to ignore.  Not impossible.  But harder.  It's kind of like Tarja in her solo band.  Her voice in Nightwish was SO iconic that it's hard to separate her voice from Tuomas' music and have her sound credible.  And to compound the issue, rather than form a stable band where she sits down with them and writes the music, there is a LOT of work done by outside writers and a revolving door of musicians.  So it feels a lot less like a collaborative band effort than a solo artist with limited creative ability having others do a lot of the creative work for them, which makes it feel less authentic to me.

3.  The vocals.  Geoff's voice is just terrible.  It is.  There are a few singers out there who have burned out their voices where it actually adds color and I am fine with it.  Doug Pinnick and Stevie Nicks come to mind.  Neither sound like they did when they started out.  They both have voices that sound rough and tired.  But it works.  It sounds genuine.  And it sounds good.  With Geoff, it sounds strained and awful.  And it's a shame because I actually like a lot of the instrumentation that I am hearing.  And even a lot of the vocal melodies themselves (if they were sung properly) are decent and fit the songs.  But Geoff's singing is the weak link.  Again.  I just don't think I can listen to his voice anymore and what it has become.  This is by far the most glaring weakness in this album.  Even if I could get over point #1, this alone would absolutely kill the album for me.  And there are too many fantastic singers out there for me to waste my time on this and try to give myself reasons to like it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #999 on: September 22, 2017, 08:52:29 AM »
Haven't had time to read all the lawsuit but I think Queensryche got lucky in having to just resign the Mindcrime rights. One album has been played in full over and over and the other one nobody really cares for... it's like MP walked away from DT with just the rights to play in full SFAM and the 12 Steps Suite.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: The Queensrÿche Discography Thread: Cabaret and D2C (2010-2012)
« Reply #1000 on: September 22, 2017, 09:00:59 AM »

and also mention how tough it had to have been to be somewhat in the middle of all of that at the time, not only as still loyal fans, but also as a webmaster.  Appreciate all that you do and don't write out of a code of honor for these troubling times.

I appreciate that. The webmaster part wasn't any more difficult than what bosk1 goes through here. But I made some mistakes in what I said publicly as well back then. I was gung-ho on support LT-fronted QR, and was hellbent on making sure people saw the depths of the dysfunction. In retrospect, if I had to do it all over again, I still would have put the court documents out there, but I wouldn't have gotten so personally involved on my old forum and written about it as much as I did. That's why with these write-ups, while I inject my opinion a bit, I try to keep it fairly neutral and avoid adding too much of the personal stuff. There's no need to go there.

I remember at the time in summer 2012, a couple of folks that used to be very tight with QR reached out to me and warned me about a few things that they had done in the past with QR that they regretted. And while I didn't dismiss that outright, I wasn't all that worried. Well, they were right (I am being purposefully vague here), and what happened to them, happened to me. They told me I'd probably attract a couple of trolls and stalkers as well. They were dead on. For example, even though my Queensryche forum has been fully closed and deleted for nine months, according to friends that keep tabs on this stuff, a few folks still literally follow me around the Internet (including here) and clip and save what I say to libel and insult me.   :lol :lol 

But as I said those folks who were close to the band that reached out to me -- they were dead on, and I should have listened to them.

Anyway, we wrap up on Wednesday with two really good albums from TLT-fronted QR. Have a great weekend everyone!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 09:09:46 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1001 on: September 22, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »
The thing about the lawsuit is basically this, as I understand it (and I'm not claiming to be an expert in all facets of it; and I'm boiling it down to its essence rather than going through all the different nuances and permutations of things to just give the 30,000 foot view of things): 

Geoff could potentially have "won" in the sense that the way the agreements were written in the first place was a problem, and they were never re-done when Chris DeGarmo left.  I think it was something along the lines of, for certain types of decisions, it took a supermajority of 4 out of the 5 voting members to pass something.  Obviously, in practice, when you then only have 4 voting members because one has left permanently and presumably terminated his voting rights, you can never have "X out of 5" because there aren't 5.  So logic and equity would dictate that it becomes "3 out of 4."  But they never amended their corporate documents.  So the technicality of needing 4 votes technically still existed.  This would have been a potential problem for the band if the lawsuit had gone the distance.  It's illogical in practice.  But there is a VERY real potential that it could easily have gone down where a judge said, "Sorry, Michael, Scott, and Ed, but your decision to terminate Mr. Tate is invalid because you need 4 votes to do that, and you only had 3."  Compound that with the screwy result of the Judge already entering the screwy interim ruling (that, IMO, was legally incorrect) that Tate was entitled to use the Queensryche name in the mean time.  So, yeah, there was serious potential risk in taking it the distance.

But even aside from the fact that both sides realized they were losing money just by the continuing litigation, here is why I think Tate "blinked" and agreed to resolve it:

There was little upside to him in "winning" anyway, other than perhaps increased bargaining leverage.  The reason is, "winning" would not have given him what he wanted in terms of being able to make the decisions he would have wanted to make either.  It just would have meant that his firing wasn't valid and he was still part of the band.  What would that get him?  He could effectively hold the band hostage by still being a voting member and not consenting to ANYTHING.  But how does that really help him?  He couldn't have made them reinstate Susan.  He couldn't have made them sell him the rights to Mindcrime.  He would have been a minority interest, and one that everyone else in the band was hostile to.  It would have simply put everyone in stalemate mode.  And that's all fine if his sole goal was to hurt and punish the band.  But he could not survive financially just be choking out Queensryche.  He needed something so he could move on financially.  Settling was really his only practical option.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #1002 on: September 22, 2017, 12:16:55 PM »
In the MP thread I was one of those who said that they can separate the music from the musician's behaviour. And I think this could also be true in regards of FU. But there are instances where I chose not to. FU could have been the best record ever made and I wouldn't have bothered simply because of Tate's douchbaggery.

Offline robbob

« Reply #1003 on: September 22, 2017, 12:20:37 PM »
I definitely want to take the time to read through the court documents, to get the whole story as much as possible.

Besides that i'm kinda shocked some people actually are taking the time or took the time to listen to FU. For what Tate had been doing to the band for years, why would you waste your time to listen to a record that was NOT Queensryche ? Especially with knowing how bad Tate sounded on the last few releases. It was an easy No-Brainer for me.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: September 22, 2017, 12:56:58 PM »
^
There are many sadists in the world.  ;)

There's always rubberneckers when there are accidents...... and perverse thrill seekers for expected train wrecks who have tough stomachs (and ears). 

And there's the faithful, the Stepfords, or the 'hopefuls' (gawd, I hope this isn't the rubbish I'm expecting, maybe there's one good tune in the bunch).  We've all experienced that with some of the artists we follow(ed).

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1005 on: September 22, 2017, 07:01:18 PM »
I definitely want to take the time to read through the court documents, to get the whole story as much as possible.

Besides that i'm kinda shocked some people actually are taking the time or took the time to listen to FU. For what Tate had been doing to the band for years, why would you waste your time to listen to a record that was NOT Queensryche ? Especially with knowing how bad Tate sounded on the last few releases. It was an easy No-Brainer for me.

Speaking for myself, curiosity made me give it a single spin on youtube at the time that it was released. I didn't expect to find anything listenable, and with the exception of a couple of rare moments I didn't find anything at all. You never really know for sure until you go ahead and do it. In this case, once was enough for me.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1006 on: September 22, 2017, 07:28:32 PM »
These ears have never heard F.U.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1008 on: September 22, 2017, 08:49:59 PM »

Holy fuck what is this?!?!?! This sounds like a drunk dude performing karaoke on a Wednesday night in front of 3 people and a midget at a dive bar.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: September 22, 2017, 08:51:22 PM »
Question: What the hell happened to Tate's voice? Is it just age? I've heard many older singer and while they don't have the range they at least had some range.

Offline Setzer

• Queensrÿche Aficionado
« Reply #1010 on: September 23, 2017, 04:37:44 AM »
Question: What the hell happened to Tate's voice? Is it just age? I've heard many older singer and while they don't have the range they at least had some range.
It's pretty much inevitable to lose some range when you get older. However Tate lost more than that. He lost control of the tone and intonation of his voice (though he's made a pretty nice comeback with the Avantasia stuff).
There are always people who defy these "rules" of age - such as Glenn Hughes.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1011 on: September 23, 2017, 04:44:34 AM »
Have to agree with Bosk1 and others on how Tates voice has deteriated. It's very painful to watch this thread progress. If you'd go back to the start of this discography-thread and read the comments on his voice from the EP onwards, it's just a crying shame. I guess it's to be expected when singers grow older, but goddamn. If you listen to Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell (rest his soul) and, even, Bowie, you hear voices that grow old gracefully. His has just gone to shit. And as a singer, as much as I can sympathize, it's just awful to watch unfold. This guy was once one of my vocal heroes. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1012 on: September 23, 2017, 04:54:02 AM »
Maybe in recent times he realized that and took care of himself. I stumbled upon YouTube on some videos of his acoustic solo tour, he looked in great shape, handling perfectly well the stage with undeniable charisma, and looked relaxed and confident.  The re-recordings on FU were painful to listen to however, I checked them out of curiosity and they were so bad.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1013 on: September 23, 2017, 09:03:46 AM »
It's not just age.  It's also abuse (drinking, smoking, not bothering to warm up). 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1014 on: September 23, 2017, 03:16:26 PM »
These ears have never heard F.U.

You owe it to them to keep this up