Author Topic: The Queensr˙che Discography Thread  (Read 106796 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: The Queensr˙che Discography Thread: Tribe and The Art of Live (2002-04)
« Reply #770 on: August 25, 2017, 08:44:12 AM »
The Making of Tribe (2002-2003)

Fresh off the tension in summer 2002, Queensryche found itself at a crossroads. Kelly Gray was not a part of things any longer (there was no official statement as far as I can recall, the band just moved on). Michael Wilton, Eddie Jackson, and Scott Rockenfield had been writing all summer for the next Queensryche album, and once Geoff Tate returned from his solo tour, the four started to put the material the three musicians wrote with Tate's lyrical vision (and initially, some ideas from Jeff Carrell, guitarist from Tate's solo band, the direction of which set Wilton off a bit – see last entry's link to my article with Wilton). The singer kept a journal on the road, “taking the pulse” of society (paraphrasing) in a post- 9/11 world, in preparation for writing lyrics.

In addition, session guitarist Mike Stone was brought in to help collaborate on the project, and help connect the band and Tate a bit. Stone was unknown to the band, but was suggested by (I believe it was Lars Sorenson, but I could be wrong) management and label personnel.

At some point in fall 2002, however, Chris DeGarmo was contacted by Adam Kasper or Scott Olson (most believe it was one of the two) who was working with Queensryche on the record. DeGarmo found out about the theme Tate was working on, and some of the music his old bandmates were composing, and eventually, reunited with Queensryche in the studio (it is unknown who actually did the reaching out, although with Olson and Kasper being friends of DeGarmo, it is highly likely one of them arranged a meeting).

After some initial sessions, the band found their chemistry was intact, and the five original members of Queensryche set to work on the record.

Tribe (2003)

Lead vocals – Geoff Tate
Lead & rhythm guitars – Michael Wilton
Bass – Eddie Jackson
Drums – Scott Rockenfield

Additional musicians:

Chris DeGarmo – Lead & rhythm guitars
Mike Stone – Guitars

Produced by Queensryche
Engineered by Scott Olson
Mixed by Adam Kasper

Background

Initially, it appeared to the public that DeGarmo was ready to rejoin his bandmates on an official basis. He wrote three songs musically on his own: “Falling Behind,” “The Art of Life” and “Doin' Fine.” He also made songwriting contributions to the existing tracks “Open” and “Desert Dance.” A fourth song, “Justified” was also written by DeGarmo and being worked on in the sessions.

A New Year's Eve 2002 gig was booked in Anchorage, Alaska, that was allegedly supposed to include DeGarmo (it was not marketed as such, but DeGarmo was writing with them at the time). That didn't happen, however, and it is unknown why. So, Mike Stone, who the band was working with earlier in the year, stepped in for DeGarmo on short notice and made his live debut with the band.

The timeline gets a little fuzzy from there. It appears DeGarmo continued working with the band throughout winter 2003, and it was originally announced that DeGarmo would rejoin the band for its summer European dates in support of Tribe, starting in June. DeGarmo took part in a lengthy photo shoot for the record and all indications (at that time) was that he was back in the band, although there was nothing posted to that effect (except that summer European swing).

Something happened in the studio, however, that scuttled those plans and a more public reunion. Allegedly, DeGarmo and Tate were a bit at odds in regard to the vocal arrangements on the record. In the past, Chris would suggest certain ways for Tate to sing the songs (truth be told, DeGarmo had always worked hand-in-hand to shape vocal melodies and arrangements for Queensryche), and Tate would try a variety of things before they settled on something they both liked. For Tribe, however, Tate was allegedly not open to that sort of creative collaboration, leading to some tension between Chris and Geoff, which ultimately led to Chris leaving the sessions entirely. (Again, this is pieced together from various accounts of different individuals involved.) There may have been some other factors involved, but the gist of it was -- Chris realized that the situation was not good for him, and moved on.

This left Queensryche in a bit of a bind, and the release of Tribe (which was scheduled for June) was pushed back slightly to July. (It was delayed a few times in 2003, actually.) The songs with music completed and recorded that DeGarmo wrote or helped to write were used for the record, but “Justified” (which was entirely written by DeGarmo, including lyrics) was left unfinished and off the album. Stone was brought back in, and he contributed one song, “Losing Myself,”  and he added a slide guitar solo to “Rhythm of Hope.” (I assume this tune was meant for DeGarmo to add the slide to, given his proficiency with and past use of the slide, and wasn't recorded when DeGarmo left.)

Ultimately, to meet deadlines, the record was pushed through, and likely wasn't fully completed. Allegedly, solos Michael Wilton had planned for certain songs  (“The Great Divide” was one) were not recorded, and it was rumored that the song “Blood” had a second guitar part that was never recorded at all (Chris was allegedly going to work on it).

Note: Wilton debuted a solo for “The Great Divide” at a show in St. Louis in support of the album in 2003. In the minds of fans, this helped solidify the rumors that the music for Tribe wasn't quite finished.

Tribe was submitted to the label, and DeGarmo was digitally eliminated from the band photos that were shot for it. The record was credited to Queensryche as a four piece, with DeGarmo and Stone being thanked for their contributions to it.

Songwriting

The writing for Tribe began more than a year before the record was finally released and heavily featured Michael Wilton and Scott Rockenfield. Wilton received writing credits on half the album's tracks (same as DeGarmo). Rockenfield and Jackson had a number of credits as well. Tate was credited on every song for his lyrics. Stone was credited for the music on the one track he wrote.

Stylistically, the songs Tribe reflect the time period in hard rock. Chunky riffs, and mostly mid-tempo cuts that feature some acoustic instruments and some atmosphere. (The one outlier being “Losing Myself” which is more of a pop rock song that was allegedly added to fill up space instead of “Justified,” which wasn't finished when DeGarmo left.)  Lyrically, as mentioned early, Tribe was based on Geoff Tate's notes on society on his travels across the United States in 2002. The quality of those lyrics obviously vary depending on the listener. But of note is certainly “Falling Behind,” which comments on religious wars; and the title track, which has an element of Tate's more vague storytelling style combined with a very powerful, unifying chorus.

To slightly editorialize for a moment, what was interesting about Tribe, was how the tunes with DeGarmo, in this writer's opinion, picked back up with that same evolution from Hear in the Now Frontier. The songs without him or his input were still good, but certainly had a different flavor.

If you're inclined to try it, put the following tracks on a playlist:

Open
Desert Dance
Falling Behind
The Art of Life
Doin' Fine

Then create a second playlist with:

Losing Myself
Tribe
The Great Divide
Rhythm of Hope
Blood

If you compare the two playlists, you'll note that the DeGarmo-included tracks are a slightly bit more complex, and more diverse, musically. But what you may also hear is that there is a evolutionary path moving forward from Hear in the Now Frontier to the first playlist of Tribe songs. Those songs maintain that sonic similarity, but are heavier with better production.That's probably an obvious statement, but it also shows how significant DeGarmo's stamp on the band was, and where they were starting to go as a band (perhaps a bit of TOOL-like realm, given the similarities in “Open”) from a writing and chemistry perspective.

The non-DeGarmo tracks, by comparison, still have some great moments (the title track, and “Rhythm of Hope” were fan favorites), but they are simpler in arrangement.

Note: If you add “Justified” to the first playlist (which was meant for Tribe and started in those sessions, and entirely written by DeGarmo), it helps push the point even further. Listen to the creepy guitar harmonics that sit above the tune in some areas. The tune is available on the 2007 Sign of the Times: Best of Queensryche deluxe edition.

The only tune that seems “out-of-place” with the vibe of Tribe as a record, and did before even the credits were known, is “Losing Myself,” which is understandable when you find out it wasn't musically written by the band.

Getting back to the write-up itself...

In addition to “Justified,” one other track was being worked on during the Tribe sessions that unfortunately was not finished prior to turning the album over to the label. That song is “Hostage.” The song is significantly different than the version used on Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime II a few years later. We'll get into why a bit more then, but the demo version that was meant for Tribe has a more aggressive Michael Wilton guitar solo, a bit more aggressive singing by Tate, no court room/drama effects (which were added to it later to make it work as a “flashback scene” for the Mindcrime sequel), and really captured some great emotion in the lyrics (which followed along a bit with Tribe's overall theme of capturing society in a post-9-11 world).

The demo was never officially released, although it appeared on the band's website, and was played over the PA AFTER shows in late 2004/early 2005, as a “preview” for Operation: Mindcrime II. So, the only public version of the demo version of the song available are audience recordings of that PA broadcast. But make no mistake, it was written in 2003 by Jackson/Rockenfield/Tate/Wilton. It just wasn't complete before the deadline for Tribe.

Click here to hear a poor audience version of it -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX4heb_o9I0

In addition, early promo releases of Tribe had the track “The Art of Life” replaced with “Under My Skin.” An early version of the tracklisting on Queensryche's website had it listed as the abbreviation “U.M.S.” However, to-date, it is unknown whether that is another song entirely, or simply “The Art of Life” re-titled.

Finally, it is unknown what Tribe songs Mike Stone actually appears on, other than “Losing Myself” and the slide guitar on “Rhythm of Hope.” (Stone's appearance on the latter was confirmed to me by Scott Rockenfield.) Stone may or may not appear on the other tracks not credited to DeGarmo (“Tribe,” “The Great Divide,” and “Blood”). No one knows. The only certainty is that DeGarmo performed on all tracks he was credited on (“Open,” “Desert Dance,” “Falling Behind,” “The Art of Life,” “Doin' Fine,” and, eventually, “Justified”) and those cuts likely were the only ones all five original members performed together.

Reception

“Desert Dance” was released to the public as a stream on Queensryche's website in spring 2003 in advance of the record and the band's European shows that summer. It was an aggressive track featuring a very post-grunge metal riff and great guitar effects in the intro and solo section. There was some criticism of the vocals, most notably, the line “keep reachin' c'mon, keep reachin,'” line in the tune (which people interpreted as “rap” for some reason), but overall, it was received fairly positively by the fan base and a return to some aggression that had been missing.

The first single, however, was “Open,” a very TOOL-inspired song with a mid-tempo pace and heavy bass line. The song received some attention, with the band appearing a couple of TV shows (the short-lived Orlando Jones show being one). Years later, Michael Wilton explained that during the Tribe period, with Tate not really wanting to do “metal” any longer (Tate had said that in various interviews around this time), they (the band) approached him (Tate) about pursing a more cerebral hard rock sound in the vein of TOOL, which may have led to some of the sonic elements on the album.

Ultimately, however, Tribe was considered a commercial failure. Lack of label support (Sanctuary Records was on its way under) likely contributed to it, as well as fans being let down over the album being marketed as being by the original lineup (but it really wasn't). While “Losing Myself” and “Rhythm of Hope” were also put out as singles, Tribe quickly nosedived and really didn't garner a lot of attention.

Touring

The tour to support Tribe included session guitar player Mike Stone alongside Michael Wilton. It started with some festivals in Europe (the ones DeGarmo was originally going to play) before leading to a U.S. co-headline tour of amphitheaters with fellow progressive metal titans Dream Theater. Fates Warning was support for the summer, making it the first time all three bands who were given much of the credit for establishing the genre of “progressive metal” were on tour together.

The prog metal jaunt was very successful, with Dream Theater closing half the shows, and Queensryche closing the other half. Both bands played shortened headline sets, and then got together for the encore to play a song from each band and a cover tune. The trek went coast-to-coast and was highly regarded by fans of all three bands.

Once the tour wrapped up, Queensryche had a month or so off before beginning its own headline tour in support of Tribe. Like many of the album tours before it, the Tribe headline tour would feature a heavy dose of the new material, with the title track, “Losing Myself,” “Desert Dance, “The Great Divide,” and “Rhythm of Hope” being featured. Also new was a brief acoustic set in the middle of the set, with some songs such as “My Global Mind” and “Roads to Madness” being re-arranged. In addition, later in the tour, the band played some rarely-performed tracks (up to this time) such as “Anybody Listening?”

A Word on Mike Stone

This was the first exposure fans had to Stone, Unfortunately, Stone fared only slightly better than Gray to the fans. Chief among the fan “complaints” was Stone's more punk image, and the very shrill tone he had when playing. One of the key elements of the DeGarmo/Wilton combination was that their tones and styles were similar enough to blend, with the astute listener having to pay close attention (without seeing) to hear who was playing what. Well, that was not a problem with Mike Stone. Like Gray, he put his own stamp on DeGarmo's parts, and they stuck out. To his credit, however, he did away with the wah pedal, which helped, and he was generally regarded as a hell of a nice guy and gracious to fans. That went a long way in helping solidify his place in the band, even though he was technically only a hired gun.

On a personal note, Mike Stone was and is a hell of a nice guy. Over time, he was really embraced by fans and given a raw deal when he was dismissed. But more on that as we progress...

The Tribe tour wrapped up in Nov. 2003, with a couple of one-off gigs in winter 2004.

Samsara's top-3 from Tribe: "The Art of Life," "Desert Dance," "Open"

The Art of Live (2004)

Geoff Tate – Lead vocals
Michael Wilton – Lead & rhythm guitar
Eddie Jackson – Bass & background vocals
Scott Rockenfield – Drums
Mike Stone – Lead & rhythm guitar and background vocals

Queensryche invested heavily in recording technology prior to the 2003 tour. They recorded many (if not all) the shows supporting Tribe. The idea was to have the freedom to record and release anything they do, with as little future expense as possible. The kick-off for this would be documenting the Tribe tour with The Art of Live, an announced live separate DVD and CD releases, wiht the DVD being marketed as being in full color with 5.1 audio. Unfortunately, the plan backfired. While the shows were all captured, the stage lights over-powered the cameras, giving the band washed out color and a visual mess (although the audio was fine).

The result was a DVD shot in sepia tone, and audio that wasn't true 5.1 surround. It was released in spring 2004, and the band went out on another tour leg in support of it, but also focused on the material from Tribe as well. Susan Tate was credited (if memory serves) as producer, while Eddie Jackson (for some reason) was credited as overseeing the audio production.

Simply put -- the releases aren't good. The audio isn't mixed well, and the sepia tone was a big let down for fans, no matter how the band tried to sell it as "arty" to the public.

Note: The DVD also contained one of the encore jams between Dream Theater and Queensryche on the 2003 summer tour.

The openers for this tour are of note. Progressive metallers Symphony-X were direct support for many dates. However, of more historical note for Queensryche, Snake River Conspiracy was direct support for weeks as well. This is a key point in time, as it is the beginning of the relationship beween Queensryche and SRC bassist/songwriter/producer Jason Slater, who would soon become a vital part of the band's creative collective.

One thing that started to make a turn for the better for Queensryche on the 2004 tour was Geoff Tate's vocals. It was clear he had begun to work hard at improving the quality of his performances from the last several years, and the work was paying off. His vocals were at a high level for much of the tour. Heading into European dates that summer, Tate also began experimenting (albeit a short-lived experiment) with using falsetto (it didn't quite work, it wasn't very strong).

The totality of support for both Tribe and The Art of Live concluded on July 10, 2004 in Sweden.

Next-up: Back with One Foot in Hell (pre-Mindcrime II tours) and Operation: Mindcrime II...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #771 on: August 25, 2017, 08:49:52 AM »
I wasn't really into QR when Tribe came out, but I was heavily invested in DT by then. I flew up to Denver from Austin TX to see the DT/QR/FW show.. If I recall this was right before TOT came out.. or maybe just had come out.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #772 on: August 25, 2017, 09:03:40 AM »
My Queensryche fandom was at its highest point during Tribe.  I really loved the record (it came out around the same time as St. Anger, and this disc got the majority of the playing time for me between the two) and still enjoy about 2/3 of it.  Open is a really killer song and I loved hearing a heavier sound from the band.  At the time, I didn't care that Degarmo had a hand in the album, I just wanted to hear some new QR.  Still enjoy Open, Desert Dance, Rhythm of Hope, Tribe, and Art of Life.  Blood is a cool song, but Tate's openness about the lyrics really bothered me, so my enjoyment of the song lessened over time. 

My college roommate's wedding was the weekend of the DT/QR show in Chicago, so I missed that tour.  I saw the band later on in the fall of 2003 in Milwaukee, and then again in April 2004 where Symphony X opened.  Both shows were fantastic, and they started shaking up the setlist by adding in some additional Empire tracks like Best I Can and The Thin Line, and they played a really good amount from Tribe.  The spring 2004 show featured a Mindcrime suite (the 2003 tour only featured Needle Lies and I Don't Believe in Love - a nice break from the Mindcrime heavy Q2K/Live Evolution sets) with Pamela Moore and the acoustic trio of songs as well. 

I sold my Art of Live dvd, and never listen to the CD.  That release is just a total dud right now, but at the time I really liked having official releases of the acoustic songs and live versions of some stuff from Tribe.

Great write up! 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #773 on: August 25, 2017, 09:48:17 AM »
Tribe...

Even though I liked Q2K and thought it was a decent enough album, it had really started to fade by this point in time for me.  Although DT had taken over Queensryche's spot as my favorite band by this time, I was THRILLED when I heard Open for the first time.  The heavy was back.  It was different.  But "different" was a given for Queensryche, and this was change that was good.  Unfortunately, this album was VERY hit and miss for me.  I really liked Open, Desert Dance, and Art of Life.  The Great Divide, Tribe, and Doin' Fine were pretty good.  Losing Myself was interesting and fun in a quirky kind of way.  But the rest of the album was forgettable, and I considered Blood to be far and away the worst thing the band had ever written.  I also agree that the album had a bit of an "unfinished" feel to it, including the stripped down (and sometimes absent) solos.  But the heaviness and darkness were a welcome return to form.  Ultimately, this album isn't where I wanted the band to go.  But it was a HUGE step in the right direction. 

I did not get a chance to see the band on the Tribe tour proper, but I did catch two of the joint headline shows with DT.  My two favorite bands of all time, co-headlining the same bill.  Could it get any better?  Well...yeah, the problem was how they divided up the show closing.  DT closed all shows east of the Mississippi.  Queensryche closed all shows west.  So even though I could two shows out here, DT got the shorter middle set both times.  But still, great couple of shows.  And DT's changing set lists, as well as the changing joint encores between the bands, made those shows extra special.  So, a few more notes on the shows...

I remember some DT fans behind me at the first show throwing a major fit that the band left the stage without an encore.  I knew what was coming later, so I told them, "Don't worry; they'll be back."  I could say more about the DT sets.  But since this is a Queensryche thread, I'll save it.

Queensryche opened their set with Open.  What a fantastic opener.  Despite being slow and plodding, that riff is REALLY cool and has a great vibe for opening a show.  I don't remember all the songs they played, but it was a really good set.  I remember Mike Stone taking the stage at stage left, and thinking, "Whoa.  This is a different image for the band."  Dude comes out dressed all in black with a black, shirtless hoodie. hood over his head and pulled low over his eyes, and has tats and a beard, and just looking downright sinister.  The look fit the dark moodiness of the songs, and it was cool.  His guitar tone did cut through more, and he did put his own spin on things.  But at the time, it didn't bother me, and he seemed to be a pretty good fit.

Anyhow, they played a good set, and I was happy.  But the encores...the encores were what I had come for, and they did not disappoint.  Both bands came out onstage together and they played one DT song, one Queensryche song, and a cover.  And those were...spectacular.  I forget now which night was which.  But the rotated encore songs were Take Hold, The Real World, Peruvian Skies, The Spirit Carries On, Won't Get Fooled Again, and Comfortably Numb.  I have decent bootlegs somewhere that have all of these.  The encores were nothing short of spectacular. 

The album being a bit of a positive rebirth for the band, combined with the success of the tour, helped restore a bit of faith in the band for me.  But as this album cycle wore on, I found myself listening to Tribe less and less.  Whereas albums up through HITNF had all been slow growers that I loved to dig into long after the release date, I liked Tribe immediately, and then it fizzled out.  But it was still a step in the right direction, so I was optimistic about what was to come.

I will post some more thoughts, including The Art of Live next week.  But first, I'll break my rule and go off topic for just a second to focus on DT.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to see them on the SFAM tour.  And OH how I wanted one of those Metropolis 2000 jerseys!  I ended up getting the last one on their website.  Problem was, a friend of mine's teenage son was just getting into the band VERY heavily, and he also REALLY wanted the jersey.  So I gave it to him and had to go without.  I continued my hunt for another one, but to no avail.  So I thought it was really cool when they had sort of a remake of it in an even better looking silver and black for the Escape From the Studio tour with Queensryche, and I picked one up.  I still have it, but it unfortunately did not hold up as well as a real jersey.  In retrospect, it's a weird shirt.  Rather than being made similar to an actual sports jersey like the Metropolis 2000 shirts, the main body and sleeves of the shirt are cotton like a regular tee, but with stripes and accents made out of nylon (or whatever they made jerseys out of).  So it just wore strangely after repeat washings and didn't really hold up.  Shame.  It was a great looking shirt.

On another note, I have a great bootleg somewhere of the NJ show with Symphony X opening as well.  The quality is spotty for a few reasons, but it sounded like a REALLY cool show.  Wish I could have been there for that one.

Anyhow, more later.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #774 on: August 25, 2017, 09:59:16 AM »
Great write up again.

I bought Tribe through the QR website, signed - the only reason I bought it really. I was keen to hear an improvement with the return of CDG but wasn't really expecting it. I played it once and hated it. This just wasn't the band I once loved.

In preparation for this I listened again. I got to track 4 before turning it off. I have no desire to listen to it again. The band were dead to me at this point.

And wasn't there stuff in the court depositions about conflict in the recording of Tribe?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #775 on: August 25, 2017, 10:43:59 AM »
I liked Tribe more overall than Q2K, but was once again let down in regards to the large amount of mellow mid tempo music.  If Tribe had more aggression and a few more guitar solos, it would be much much better.  I remember reading your article in 2002 with Wilton saying that he was concerned Queensryche was no longer a metal band and everything about the upcoming sessions (Tribe) was confirming that.  So I wasn't getting my hopes up that they would have a metal album, or even a hard rock album. 

But overall, some good tunes- "Open", "Art of Life" and "Great Divide" are standouts.  I didn't think much of "Doin Fine" and have very little interest in that one.

The live album, The Art of Live, was a disappointment and I ended up getting rid of it.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: August 25, 2017, 10:53:30 AM »
Great write up again.

I bought Tribe through the QR website, signed - the only reason I bought it really. I was keen to hear an improvement with the return of CDG but wasn't really expecting it. I played it once and hated it. This just wasn't the band I once loved.

In preparation for this I listened again. I got to track 4 before turning it off. I have no desire to listen to it again. The band were dead to me at this point.

And wasn't there stuff in the court depositions about conflict in the recording of Tribe?

Thanks. And thanks to all of you for the kind words previously (before I posted the current write-up).

In regard to the court depositions, yeah, they talked about the vocals on Tribe being one of the catalysts. That's where I took that from. Again, I'm giving the history, but also trying to stay as positive as possible. Once we get to the band split, I'll post the link to all the court docs. I have them all online on AnybodyListening.net for reference purposes. But I just try not to dwell on them.

As for my own experience with this era, it was...special. I remember that excitement when it was announced Chris was touring with them and working on the record. I mean...all smiles. My wife and I would get married in this time frame, so the memories are all positive. Hearing "Desert Dance" for the first time on Queensryche's website was an incredible experience. The modern guitar riff, the cool intro, and the aggression were all what I had been hoping for personally from them.

It was a pretty big let down when it was then announced Chris was NOT touring. You just knew, from past experience, something was amiss. But regardless, the Mrs. and I took in two of the shows on the QR/DT tour. We had a really good time. Admittedly, I didn't care for Stone's tone. He was too sharp and shrill, but the shows were overall enjoyable.

Once that tour with DT ended, we went to a bunch of the Tribe headline shows. If I remember right, we went to two of them together (including the first show on the tour, again, if I remember right). One of them was Ventura, Calif. I had never been there, and it was a nice little beach town and cool old theater. About a month later I flew back home to visit my parents and brother, and took in the show on Long Island with one of my best friends. Outstanding show. In the round, great soundcheck where they did Anybody Listening? (I had asked Michael if they could play it, and he said he wasn't sure, because of the length, but would see what he could do -- they did it in soundcheck.) Just a really fun gig.

However, the most memorable moment for me was the Art of Live tour. Specifically, the May 1, 2004 show in Las Vegas. My wife and I went to Vegas to see the band and enjoy a weekend in Sin City. Queensryche was simply on fire. They played a really long set (it was well over two hours), and Tate, vocally, was the finest I had seen him to that point (since 1995 when I first saw them live). They key moment was during "Take Hold of the Flame." The band went into the song, and Tate, with the band not realizing he was going to do it, went for, and old school HIT THAT MFing intro note. The crowd went wild, and I'll never forget Wilton and Eddie looking over at one another in surprise, and then smiling and really getting into the song after that.

Paying attention to the shows that followed later that year, Tate's vocals continued to improve. He was experimenting and pushing at various shows based on the bootlegs I was collecting (I was getting everything at that point). It was pretty cool to see, and Stone was settling in to a degree.

So, while the releases were disappointing, from a live perspective, I was pretty encouraged as a fan.

In regard to Tribe as a record, I was fortunate enough to hear it at a friend's house who got an advance probably a month or so prior to release. I remember him calling me and saying "Dude, seriously, they are back!" I drove 2.5 hours to his house and we played it over and over again and took a copy home for the ride. I immediately loved Open, Desert Dance and Art of Live. I also really dug the title track, Rhythm of Hope, Falling Behind and The Great Divide. As you can see, seven tracks got a big thumbs up at the time.

As the years went on, and now reflecting in the present on the album, it hasn't aged particularly well. When I ended up finding out about the writing of the album, and some of the mystery behind it, it really turned me off. So I started ONLY listening to the DeGarmo tracks because of that. And to this day, I do find those tracks to be superior, but I also very much dig the others I listed to.

As far as I know, Stone only played the slide guitar on Rhythm of Hope, and the guitar tracks obviously on "Losing Myself" (which is a horrendous tune to my ears). I'm not 100 percent certain, but I'm pretty sure the non-DeGarmo tracks (other than the two mentioned just above) remained a four piece...just Tate, Wilton, Jackson and Rockenfield. Which in my OCD-afflicted head, helps me still buy into "they, that's the original lineup" vibe. But still, we don't know absolutely for certain. But listening carefully to Tribe, The Great Divide and Blood, I really don't hear Stone at all. That's all Wilton to my ears.

As I said, generally, the album hasn't aged well for me, but I still do listen to the "Tribe EP" as I call it (Open, DD, Art of Life, Falling Behind, Doin' Fine, Justified) quite frequently, as that is the last thing of the original lineup of the band. I'm softening on my hard line in my old age though. I really enjoy the title track and The Great Divide, and realize that if you just leave off Losing Myself, and insert Justified in its place, you pretty much have what the band intended as the record, with Stone guesting on the slide of Rhythm of Hope. And that's probably just fine.

But the difficulty (again, for me personally) is that the album is just such a cluster F in how it was written and recorded, it just grates on me. I like to put things in boxes, and Tribe is something that I can't really do that with, and it is frustrating for me personally. That's why I tie a bow around the DeGarmo tracks. At least that's something that is definitively the original band.

In regard to the Art of Live album and DVD -- horse shit. I no longer have either. I think my wife has physical copies of them both. I am not sure. But they are garbage, which is a shame. That was the band trying to save a buck right there by investing in equipment (spend money to save money) and they obviously didn't do their homework appropriately. Just a complete waste of money, and then to release that garbage? Ugh. Seriously folks, if you didn't buy it before, don't bother searching for it now. it's a complete waste. Such a shame.

Anyway, in general, I remember the time period fondly. Some up moments, some down moments when Chris departed and the album wasn't quite right, but I still very much enjoy the original lineup's work on the record.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #777 on: August 25, 2017, 10:59:01 AM »
Listening to Tribe right now, listening to it with the two separate playlists and the CDG playlist is pretty damn good so far. I can see the Tool influence in "Open"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #778 on: August 25, 2017, 11:37:10 AM »
I just got through Tribe. I think it's the most consistent and best release since Empire.

There are some gems on here however what is up with the production. Every release since Empire has sounded like it was mixed and mastered in an amateurs bedroom. It's so stuffy and there is no life to the music. The drums are particularly bad, they sound as if there was no effort to put down a powerful drum track.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #779 on: August 25, 2017, 12:23:56 PM »
Focusing strictly on the album itself, I like the DeGarmo stuff and the title track.  It felt like a step in the right direction for the band, and had they had more time to polish it and not rush to meet a deadline, I think this album could have done better.  That being said, I can't quite separate this album from all of the drama around it.  I remember Susan Tate pushing the whole "DeGarmo's Back!" thing pretty heavily, and then strongly denying she ever said that once things didn't pan out.  To me, it smacked of amateurism and was such a sharp contrast to my image of the band as being a very well run and professional outfit during their prime years.  Ultimately, the behavior of Susan Tate, especially in regards to honesty and her treatment of the fans, is what soured me on them and I ended up losing interest in the band.

I did get to see them on the 2003 tour with DT and FW, and, looking back at their set, they played a pretty solid set.  It was interesting though, to watch Wilton handle the lead on Best I Can.  I remember, during the encore, Labrie hit the super high note on Take Hold, and I also remember Petrucci harmonizing Wilton on the guitar solo, which was pretty sweet.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #780 on: August 25, 2017, 12:28:54 PM »
I did get to see them on the 2003 tour with DT and FW, and, looking back at their set, they played a pretty solid set.  It was interesting though, to watch Wilton handle the lead on Best I Can.  I remember, during the encore, Labrie hit the super high note on Take Hold, and I also remember Petrucci harmonizing Wilton on the guitar solo, which was pretty sweet.

Yeah.  That was also the tour where Wilton had forgotten how to play one of QR's older tunes, and Petrucci supposedly showed him how it went right there on the spot.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: August 25, 2017, 12:32:46 PM »
I actually saw DT and QR on that tour. I didn't know anything about QR and it was my first DT show. I remeber QR being decent, FW and DT being awesome.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #782 on: August 25, 2017, 12:58:28 PM »
I should try and find some time to listen to it again, I remember hearing it back in the day and thinking it was ok, at the very least. It was interesting to read about the situation leading to its recording, I wasn't really aware of the whole De Garmo is back - De Garmo is a guest - De Garmo is gone thing.

Now I also know why the video on YouTube of DT and QR doing Comfortably Numb is in sepia  :D just allow me some little praise for our own JLB 'cause when he comes in after Geoff sings the initial verse, it's just fantastic and it blends quite well in.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: The Queensr˙che Discography Thread: Side Projects & Dysfunction (2001-02)
« Reply #783 on: August 25, 2017, 01:17:14 PM »
Regardimg Q2K, I've only heard a few songs off Youtube, because the album isn't on Spotify and I can't find the CD anywhere either (though that may not be a huge loss :lol).

It's on Spotify (unless it's not in your region (not sure if spotify has region controls))

https://open.spotify.com/album/1EfzUKbKuDZKxa2rpiJzt8
Yeah, not available in my country (Finland) :-\

Tribe is a decent album, but I wish Tate had had the humility to work with DeGarmo on the vocals, because songs like Open and Rhythm of Hope - while good musically - could've been fantastic with better melodies. I also think the album suffers because of the unfinished vibe that Samsara mentioned, as well as the slight disjointedness that comes out of DeGarmo only being involved with half the material and Losing Myself being slapped onto the album despite having nothing in common with the rest. Then there's Desert Dance with the obnoxious chanting and Doin' Fine, which I find kind of annoying and a weak closer... For all these reasons I personally prefer HITNF, though The Art of Life is one of QR's finest moments, and Falling Behind and The Great Divide are great songs as well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #784 on: August 25, 2017, 01:37:24 PM »
Regardimg Q2K, I've only heard a few songs off Youtube, because the album isn't on Spotify and I can't find the CD anywhere either (though that may not be a huge loss :lol).

It's on Spotify (unless it's not in your region (not sure if spotify has region controls))

So that means that even if you could start listening to the album, you couldn't Finnish it?  :lhk:

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: August 25, 2017, 01:45:01 PM »

Yeah.  That was also the tour where Wilton had forgotten how to play one of QR's older tunes, and Petrucci supposedly showed him how it went right there on the spot.  :lol

Wait, wut?  :lol

I thought this was the tour where Wilton offered to show Petrucci how to play "Take Hold" and Petrucci politely said "I'm good." Wasn't this also the tour where Stone tried to give Petrucci pointers or something.  :facepalm:

I forget, honestly. It was all so ridiculous.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #786 on: August 25, 2017, 01:55:40 PM »

I thought this was the tour where Wilton offered to show Petrucci how to play "Take Hold" and Petrucci politely said "I'm good." Wasn't this also the tour where Stone tried to give Petrucci pointers or something.  :facepalm:

Same tour, but I think two different events. 

The JP showing Wilton the song thing wasn't JP being arrogant or anything.  It's just an example of what has been brought up before about his almost-photographic memory when it comes to music.  They were talking about an older QR song.  I'm not sure if it was in rehearsal before the tour actually started, or if they were talking about old QR songs in general, or talking about an older song that QR might include in their set, or what.  But they were talking about an older song, and Michael said something to the effect of, "I don't even remember how that one goes; I'm going to have to go listen to try to remember how to play it because it's been awhile."  Or maybe it was one for the encores and he was wanting to remember how the OTHER part went so he could show JP.  I don't know the specifics on that part of it.  But John's response was along the lines of, "Oh, don't worry about it.  Here look, it goes like this...  *plays it from memory*"  I seem to recall the story either coming from the QR camp, or Wilton confirming it later or something like that, so I don't doubt it.  I just don't know the details.  But we've talked about it in the past.  You probably just forgot. 

I think the thing about Stone was basically a misunderstanding.  Knowing what I've heard about Stone's sense of humor, he was probably joking around.  No idea.  But for whatever reason, JP got really annoyed with him.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #787 on: August 25, 2017, 03:30:51 PM »
At least we got As I Am out of it  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #788 on: August 25, 2017, 03:48:41 PM »
Well, we would have gotten As I Am anyway.  We just got two lines of lyrics we wouldn't have otherwise gotten.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #789 on: August 25, 2017, 05:48:41 PM »
But the rest of the album was forgettable, and I considered Blood to be far and away the worst thing the band had ever written.

I remember you saying this in a discussion in the past. It's probably my favorite song on the album, but I couldn't really say why. The only song that I never really cared for was Doin' Fine. In fact, I was really excited after hearing the record because I thought that they were on the right path again, even if I didn't like it as much as their classic material.

I did not get a chance to see the band on the Tribe tour proper, but I did catch two of the joint headline shows with DT.  My two favorite bands of all time, co-headlining the same bill.  Could it get any better?  Well...yeah, the problem was how they divided up the show closing.  DT closed all shows east of the Mississippi.  Queensryche closed all shows west.  So even though I could two shows out here, DT got the shorter middle set both times.  But still, great couple of shows.  And DT's changing set lists, as well as the changing joint encores between the bands, made those shows extra special.  So, a few more notes on the shows...

I seen the tour in Columbus, Ohio at a newer outdoor venue that the name of escapes me at the moment. I'm almost 100% positive that DT played before QR that night, and we're well east of the Mississippi here in Ohio.

On a side note: I remember hearing news that someone stole Frank Aresti's guitar at one of the shows on this tour.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #790 on: August 25, 2017, 06:35:03 PM »
There is nothing more corny than joint encores.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #791 on: August 25, 2017, 07:03:16 PM »
I've always enjoyed Tribe. Is it mind blowingly amazing? no, not really. But is it really solid? I would say yes.

I will say that I LOVE the art of live. That song is awesome and I also like Justified alot even though its not on the original album.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #792 on: August 25, 2017, 07:38:32 PM »
Unfortunately I was really underwhelmed by Tribe despite looking forward to it. I read about Wilton wanting to go in a heavier direction and the return of DeGarmo, but it didn't make much of a difference to me. Yet another solidly meh album. That said, reading about the making of the album and things going behind the scene was fascinating as always. Congratulations on yet another very engaging read, Samsara!  :metal

Same tour, but I think two different events. 

The JP showing Wilton the song thing wasn't JP being arrogant or anything.  It's just an example of what has been brought up before about his almost-photographic memory when it comes to music.  They were talking about an older QR song.  I'm not sure if it was in rehearsal before the tour actually started, or if they were talking about old QR songs in general, or talking about an older song that QR might include in their set, or what.  But they were talking about an older song, and Michael said something to the effect of, "I don't even remember how that one goes; I'm going to have to go listen to try to remember how to play it because it's been awhile."  Or maybe it was one for the encores and he was wanting to remember how the OTHER part went so he could show JP.  I don't know the specifics on that part of it.  But John's response was along the lines of, "Oh, don't worry about it.  Here look, it goes like this...  *plays it from memory*"  I seem to recall the story either coming from the QR camp, or Wilton confirming it later or something like that, so I don't doubt it.  I just don't know the details.  But we've talked about it in the past.  You probably just forgot. 

I think the thing about Stone was basically a misunderstanding.  Knowing what I've heard about Stone's sense of humor, he was probably joking around.  No idea.  But for whatever reason, JP got really annoyed with him.
Cool, I always wondered what the story was behind that. Obviously you know the guy better than I do, but that Stone story always seemed super out of character to me. JP is so chilled out, I can't imagine him getting annoyed over something like that or missing a joke, not to mention writing the event into a song. Like that's something I'd expect out of Portnoy but not JP (not making a character judgement here, just my observation of their personalities).

I really wish I could've seen the Dream Theater/Queensryche tour. That sounds like a really fantastic moment in both bands' histories.

Another question about the tour for Samsara, Bosk, or anyone else can answer: There's a bit on one of the DVD commentaries where they have a laugh about Geoff Tate singing Peruvian Skies. I've always been curious about what that was in reference to and if there's a story or recording to go with it?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #793 on: August 25, 2017, 10:14:16 PM »
   Tribe kinda holds a special place in my heart, in a way, because of that time in my life and the tour with Dream Theater. In the Spring of that year, I was 14 and in 8th grade. Through school, I had gotten reacquainted with an old friend of mine. We got to being the best of friends.

Musically, I think we first bonded over our love of System of A Down and he may have already been listening to Dream Theater a little bit. I think I helped nudge him further in that direction.  ;D But then I got him hooked pretty hard on Operation: Mindcrime. Around that time, I called his house. His dad answered. I don't remember how it came up, but his dad said "He's been listening to that all day." :P

So, when that tour was announced not long after, it was a no-brainer. My dad (naturally a QR/DT fan, as well) drove us to see that tour in Baltimore. July 15th, 2003. I will never forget that day as long as I live. We got to the venue early and almost immediately met James LaBrie and Jordan Rudess standing outside.

A little bit later, just walking around, we got to hear (and kinda watch from a distance, across the river) Queensryche's soundcheck. They did "Spreading The Disease (w/ Electric Requiem)" and "The Mission". I didn't realize at the time but that meant they weren't gonna play "Speak" that night, which they had been playing most nights (damn!). They also played "Take Hold" during their set which disappointed me because I'd read they'd been playing it with Dream Theater in the encores. The biggest surprise was when they came back for their encore with "Queen of The Reich" which I was not expecting at all. So, all was forgiven. :P

Another question about the tour for Samsara, Bosk, or anyone else can answer: There's a bit on one of the DVD commentaries where they have a laugh about Geoff Tate singing Peruvian Skies. I've always been curious about what that was in reference to and if there's a story or recording to go with it?

I guess they would switch up which verses they would sing on a particular night. The commentary obviously references Geoff singing the second verse. In Baltimore, he sang the first one. He did flub a line in it that night, which is understandable to me. "Don't turn off the lights until we see the way it ends" or something like that. :P Wilton also made a minor mistake in it that night.

As for the album, I liked it well enough. I was more taken with it than Q2k, but I think that may have been mostly because of the excitement of DeGarmo being back (for a moment). But, there's definitely plenty I like regardless. The heaviness of the title track, "Open", and "Desert Dance" was something I was hoping they would explore more of throughout the album. Not to be. "The Art of Life" kinda has it but I'm not fond of the talking verses. Those four songs also suffer from basically what Tribe (the album) seems to suffer from, in my opinion, which is that they just seem incomplete. Almost thrown together.

I don't really listen to it all that often because of the time it brings me back to. While fun, sometimes it hurts to remember. :P

Regarding The Art of Live DVD, I bought that on release day. I remember being fine with it, in general. Other than the audio mix, the only real disappointment was that I thought "Anybody Listening?" would be included on it but it was a typo in one of the promo materials. Speaking of promotion for it, I remember they performed on an ESPN morning show called Cold Pizza promoting the album/DVD. They played "Sign of The Times" and "Rhythm of Hope" acoustically. :)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #794 on: August 25, 2017, 11:51:47 PM »
I pretty much enjoyed Tribe right from the start. To me it has held up just fine, as I pull it out and enjoy it much more often than both HITNF and Q2K and much more so than anything after it until 2013 (and that is a F**k**g understatement), but back to Tribe. I totally disagree with the sentiment that the DeGarmo involvement material on this record outshines the rest of the songs. Open and The Art of Life are REALLY good songs.
In my opinion, Desert Dance, Falling Behind and Doin Fine are all boring generic plodding songs that are no better than Losing Myself (which is an ok song, it doesn't grate on me the way it does for some fans) but none of those four are songs I listen to much.

By comparison, the DeGarmo-less songs on the record, they take the prize easily in my book. The Great Divide and Rhythm of Hope are the two standout awesome songs on this record for me. Blood is really good too (I can tune out the lyrical messages). So those three along with Open and Art of Life would round out my top five tracks. That gives the Degarmo-less songs a 3-2 win to me, and they did the best two songs on the record IMO. Losing Myself and the title track are ok, nothing special, they are right there with Desert Dance, Falling Behind and doin Fine.

I saw five shows on these tours. Two with Dream Theatre and Fates Warning, and two headline shows on the Tribe tour legs, and one headline show on the Art of Live tour. All fantastic shows, very, very enjoyable. In my mind all was good. DeGarmo's second departure (if you could even call it a return) wasn't all that big of a deal to me, cause like I said I thought two of the songs he contributed to were really good but the other three were boring and bland and did nothing for me. Not to mention, the lackluster HITNF pretty much had his stamp all over it, and it wasn't anything to brag about, again bland and boring save for a few tracks. He gets as much blame and then some for that as far as I'm concerned.

Mike Stone: great guy, he gave 100% and did a great job during his time in the band and I always thought he got a raw deal from some of the fans and he certainly got a raw deal from management. I thought he did just fine on all the shows I attended and I got to meet him (as well as the rest of the band) at a meet and greet in 2005. Cool dude         

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #795 on: August 26, 2017, 12:54:02 AM »
Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party, but I just couldn't resist sharing some opinions on the past few studio albums you've discussed.

Hear in the Now Frontier- I was vacationing in Florida when this album was first released and still have fond memories of listening to it on my Walkman repeatedly at the beach. As opposed to the dark and brilliant Promised Land, which would have left me in a somber state during my trip, this one was light and pleasant, and kept my spirits as high as the seagulls. For some reason at the time, it didn't bother me whatsoever that Queensryche had abandoned their progressive metal roots because a huge majority of these songs were undeniably catchy, with some of my favorites being Miles Away (Geoff and Chris harmonize so wonderfully together here), Spool, The Voice Inside, and You. The only thing that really annoys me is how for some insane reason, garbage tracks like "Get a Life" and "Cuckoo's Nest" were included on the album instead of the amazing "Chasing Blue Sky." Argh!

Q2K- Like most longtime fans, I was pretty disappointed with this one at first but once I stopped comparing it to albums like Operation Mindcrime and Rage for Order, I got plenty of enjoyment out of it--it has also aged quite well. I agree that it's a huge improvement over Hear in the Now Frontier in terms of production; it practically begs to be played at loud volumes. Yes, "Right Side of My Mind" is easily the standout song and it would make me so happy to hear Todd sing it someday. "When the Rain Comes" is the other true gem, in my opinion, and I also like "Falling Down," "Howl," and "Breakdown" quite a bit.

Tribe- Upon learning that Chris was involved in the production and then hearing the unique and impressive "Desert Dance," I couldn't help but believe with all my heart that this was going to be their finest album since Promised Land. But even if I expected nothing, I probably still would have been disappointed. This album has never done much for me and I rarely get the urge to revisit it. It was really interesting to read Samsara's retrospective, as it confirmed my initial suspicions that Tribe was rushed and incomplete. Almost every song seems to be missing a key component, especially "Blood," which sounds like a crummy demo. "Desert Dance" and the title track always get my feet tapping, and "The Art of Life" is pretty damn awesome, but the rest of the tracks make me feel absolutely nothing but indifference.

Geoff Tate- Man, sometimes I feel like I must be the #1 fan of this album. I love love love it! For anyone with a soft spot for melancholy love songs, this really hits the spot. "This Moment," "Helpless," "In Other Words," and my favorite, "A Passenger" are achingly lovely, and it saddens me that Geoff didn't continue down this soft-rock path post-Queensryche. For many years, "Grain of Faith" was the only song I'd regularly skip, but Geoff's 2012 tour showed me what a fun and groovy tune it actually is. And the album ends on such a strong note with "Over Me," which should have been the lead single instead of the goofy "Off the TV."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: August 26, 2017, 09:55:04 AM »
re: Peruvian Skies -- I'm not really sure what is being referred to in regard to getting a laugh over Geoff and the song. I never heard that. I thought Tate and Labrie did a really good job on each others material. :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #797 on: August 26, 2017, 11:16:03 AM »
Sam, would you say this is about the time that Geoff became hard to deal with and it grew from here?  I was so disappointed when I heard Chris was back only to back out of the tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: August 26, 2017, 03:40:44 PM »
Sam, would you say this is about the time that Geoff became hard to deal with and it grew from here?  I was so disappointed when I heard Chris was back only to back out of the tour.

I would say that following this, particularly as Susan Tate became the band's full time manager, Tate was much more inclined to take control of the direction, and the other guys laid back more than they should have. We'll get more into that dynamic on the next couple of entries.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #799 on: August 26, 2017, 05:27:20 PM »
I was completely out of the QR loop at this time. I had no idea what they were doing, not paying any attention to them. A friend hooked me up with a copy of Tribe years later, and I remember thinking it doesn't suck. Was better than I had given it credit for. I'll have to give it a listen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #800 on: August 26, 2017, 06:08:06 PM »
re: Peruvian Skies -- I'm not really sure what is being referred to in regard to getting a laugh over Geoff and the song. I never heard that. I thought Tate and Labrie did a really good job on each others material. :)

In the commentary for 5YiaL, while they're playing that song, it gets to the line "Hey, I hope you know" and in the commentary James sings "It's gonna snow". MP says "I can't ever listen to this song without thinking of Geoff Tate singing it." Then James cracks up. "Did you read the lyrics, Geoff?" :P So, apparently, that happened one night. But, as I mentioned, Geoff didn't sing that verse the night I saw them.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #801 on: August 27, 2017, 07:19:18 AM »

So that means that even if you could start listening to the album, you couldn't Finnish it?  :lhk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObpcGNCU944

Man, the DT/QR/FW shows must've been epic - that's one of the tours I'd like to catch if I had a time machine.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #802 on: August 27, 2017, 08:54:28 AM »
I like Tribe. After the disaster of Q2k it was a welcome relief to get an album that sounded like QR again, albeit the post-Empire version with a limp and a few missing teeth.

It does have the slight air of being slightly unfinished, but overall it's like Promised Land and HiTNF for me - a solid 7/10 kinda record.

At the time, when it looked like Mike Stone was going to hang around as the second guitarist I thought it was quite a promising sign as Losing Myself is one of my favourites on the record...

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: August 27, 2017, 11:51:00 PM »
Many similar experiences as mentioned above:
I had heard of DeGarmo’s reuniting with the band.  I was also quite excited of getting to see them in Baltimore with my current wife (our first big concert together).  Had never heard of Dream Theater, thought the name was quite cool, and we looked forward to the evening at Pier Six in Baltimore.
Thought the stage set up was quite different as a band all dressed in black starts in on heavy chords, see a lead guitarist in the hood, a bald headed lead singer comes out, and we’re like ‘wtf, that’s Geoff Tate!’ Actually thought for more than a few seconds that it was that other band.

Since ‘Tribe’ did not get released until two weeks later, we were unfamiliar with any new stuff, but ‘Open’ was an unforgettable track (a top 25 song of theirs for me still).  I did not care for the image change, and was quite deflated during the show.  ‘What happened to them?’ and ‘where’s Chris?’ popped our heads way too often.  It was the first time she’d seen them, the fourth time and tour for me.  I do remember really enjoying ‘The Mission’ and ‘Eyes of a Stranger’ with the ‘Anarchy Xtra’ ending and overpowering strobe lights.  I also thought ‘what a damn short set list.  No encores.  That’s odd as all hell.’ 

I still purchased the CD when it came out just to have ‘Open’.  And that’s all I enjoyed on it.  That beginning of ‘Losing Myself’ lost me for what turned out to be for good, because nothing else struck my fancy.  Reading the liner notes as it played also disappointed, as to the lack of DeGarmo’s input, and even those didn’t register for me.

[Part two of the show:  Quite an intro, along with ‘who is this drummer?’  He seemed at the forefront of the stage, often standing, urging the crowd on, spitting more than Roger Taylor of Queen, and quite a joy to watch.  But, since my stepdaughter was staying at a friend’s for the night, and Queensryche had already played, we cut out after about 40 minutes to enjoy the empty house. 

A couple of weeks later I purchased a couple of CDs, ‘Tribe’ and ‘Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence’.  I gave each disc a spin.  And then Disc Two of that Dream Theater band again.  And then again.  Other than ‘The Great Debate’, I think I listened to all of the tracks a dozen times before I&W and Awake were purchased a few weeks later.]

Queensryche dropped off my map after ‘Tribe’, other than checking in on the future train wrecks.  I’ve tried bits of the songs during this discussion, with an open approach, but call it age and/or indifference (theirs and mine), for me there was only one track I enjoyed then and now.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: August 28, 2017, 06:04:53 AM »
I haven't added much to this thread, but I have to say, I've always really really loved Tribe.  I think it's a really fantastic album.  I didn't really like Q2K at all, but Tribe is a gem.

Open is a great moody rocker with a fabulous and somewhat more classic Ryche chorus.  Losing Myself has a real alternate 90's vibe ala something from Live's V album or something.  The chorus is catchy enough to keep my interest.  Desert Dance again has that alternate vibe but more agression and energy.  The chorus is a bit cringeworthy, but I don't mind it.  Like the eastern vibe in the instrumentation.

Falling Behind was one that I didn't really take notice of or did anything for me.  The Great Divide has a darker feel again and a simply fantastic chorus.  Love the guitars in the chorus too, wonderful atmosphere.  Rhythm of Hope is fine, but was never a highlight for me.

The title track is by far my favourite and one of my favourite songs by the band.  Love the ultra heaviness of it. Moody, dark, brooding, love it.  Blood was another filler song for me, very odd and interesting track though.  The Art of Live gives me a bit of the old Queensryche in the feel of it, good track that could fit right on Promised Land IMO.  The closer is nothing flash either.

Having a listen back to this album now, I'm not sure why I liked it so much cause it isn't like I remembered it, but nevertheless is was shining light in what the band were doing around that time.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.