Author Topic: The Queensr˙che Discography Thread  (Read 106612 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: The Queensr˙che Discography Thread: Operation: Mindcrime (1988)
« Reply #210 on: June 29, 2017, 08:58:32 AM »
One of my favorite albums of all time, though I haven't really listened to it for a long, long time.  My introduction to QR came with the following album and its radio play, however, I bought Mindcrime first, I believe, along with Empire.  At the time, I was a teenager and still into my "thrash or die" mode, yet I discovered melodic heavy metal with a local Chicago band called Radakka around the same time.  They were heavily influenced by Queensryche (not a clone, but the melodic, higher vocals, vocal and guitar melodies were in the same style), so I was just getting into this type of metal music.

I liked the singles immediately - I Don't Believe in Love and Eyes of a Stranger.  Slowly, I ended up digging the rest of the album, but the story really eluded me until one night several years later in college.  I was up late listening to music on my headphones in the dorms and the fire alarm went off at 2am or some crazy hour.  Upon coming back upstairs, I sat down with the album on, reading along with the libretto from the Livecrime box set.  The album and its story just clicked into place and I was completely transfixed by the disc. 

I saw them on the Q2K tour for the first time, in the front row, which featured nearly every primary song from Mindcrime, aside from a few interludes and Suite Sister Mary, so I got a nice heavy dose of the album in a live setting.  Geoff even knelt down and sang one verse of Spreading the Disease a few feet in front of me, which remains one of my favorite concert moments of all time - being that close to one of my favorite singers, fist in the air, shouting the lyrics right back at him.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #211 on: June 29, 2017, 09:13:02 AM »
Operation: Mindcrime has never been surpassed for me, personally. I love everything about the album from front to back. I chose three songs to highlight at the end as "top tracks," but truth be told, I sorta just went beginning, middle, end. there's not a dud anywhere on the record. Every song, every segue, plays an important cog and I love them all pretty much equally.

I've been a hard rock and heavy metal fan now for exactly 30 years. Operation: Mindcrime, for me, is still the pinnacle. And I really doubt it will ever be knocked off that lofty pedestal I place it on. Just pure sonic perfection for me. #fanboyextreme
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #212 on: June 29, 2017, 09:21:24 AM »
I think it was fairly late '89 when I first heard this album.  I may have seen a video sometime in '88, but I was busy graduating from high school, going through Marine Corps boot camp, and adjusting to the culture shock of Camp Lejuene, North Carolina to have paid attention to much else that wasn't already on my radar in the 1988 timeframe.  So not already being a Queensryche fan, this album definitely escaped my notice at the time it was released.  Given the initial cold reception and long buildup before it finally exploded, I think that's understandable.  And there was a ton of stuff out at that time from bands that I was actively following:  Def Lep was still going strong on Hysteria, and there was a ton of other good stuff from '87 and early '88 that I was still spinning a lot, like Whitesnake and Y&T.  Then right around the time I graduated, we got new albums from Bon Jovi (New Jersey), Cinderella (Long, Cold Winter), and Stryper (In God We Trust).  So, yeah, Mindcrime didn't even register.

Fast forward a bit to a guy in my Marine Corps unit totally hyping the band and the album.  He said it was "really deep music--the kind you have to think deeply about to really get."  That sounded interesting.  I borrowed the cassette from him and listened a bit.  I remember the sound being pretty grating, even though there were definitely some cool parts.  I don't think I listened to the entire album, but I listened to a good chunk of it and decided it just wasn't for me.  I distinctly remember being intrigued by Suite Sister Mary, both because of the length and the intriguing title, with both its forebodingness and its punningness.  But listening to it, it was just a bit offputting to me at that time. 

Fast forward a bit more.  I don't know how long it was, but I was at a club in Jacksonville with some buddies (the then-infamous Thunderbird--I now cringe when I think back on it).  Rock/metal cover bands and up-and-comers would play there.  In fact, I think Firehouse even played there before they hit it big.  Anyhow, there was a pretty decent cover band playing, and they did a cover of I Don't Believe In Love.  And it's kind of funny because, if the next series of events didn't play out exactly as it did, I'm not sure how long it would have taken me to finally notice this band.  So, I noticed the song as a Queensryche song.  And I thought it was pretty good.  But I wasn't really playing close attention.  Can't remember if me and my buddies were just chatting, or if we were trying to hit on some girls, or what, but the band were just sort of in the background.  Then a little bit later, the singer made an announcement between songs, something along the lines of, "We don't normally do this, but there's a guy up here in the front that is stationed here, and he's a long way from home.  [I think he might have been from Seattle in fact, but not sure]  And he is a HUGE Queensryche fan and BEGGED us to do a Queensryche song.  So since this is the only one we know, we're gonna play it again."  So they played IDBIL again.  This time, I paid attention.  And this time, I got it.  What a song.  It REALLY hooked me and got stuck in my head. 

After that gig, I went back to my buddy that had loaned me his tape and asked if I could make a copy.  And I began listening.  Songs like IDBIL, Breaking the Silence, and The Mission totally drew me in.  I remember the summer of 1990, there were three albums I played nonstop, whether we were spending lazy days at the local beach, hanging out in the barracks, road tripping to Myrtle Beach, or whatever.  Those were:  Mindcrime, Slip of the Tongue (Whitesnake), and Ten (Y&T).  It would still be awhile before I would start exploring the back catalogue and this band would, for the next decade+, become my favorite band.  But this put me well on my way.  (and, yes, I did eventually buy my own copy instead of just listening for free)

As for the album itself, what is so great about it is that it not only has a story that you can just get lost in and head-trip over, but it also has such deep, layered music that you can listen and listen, and still discover something new way down the road that you never heard/noticed before.  Even though I have grown somewhat cold on the album over time (the songs are still great, but I feel like I've...I hate to say it because it sounds pretentious, but...outgrown the concept), I still hold it in high regard.  Songs like IDBIL, The Mission, Breaking the Silence, and Eyes of a Stranger are just SO good.  And even though I have heard them so much that I have felt burned out on them for a long time, I find that I still love them when I do take the opportunity to listen.

I suspect there will be a writeup for Livecrime after Empire because of the release order, so I'll hold off my comments on it until then.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 09:28:35 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #213 on: June 29, 2017, 09:23:14 AM »
Quite simply the greatest album ever - in my top 50 I ranked it joint first with Images and Words and I can't really separate them.

The sound was perfect, the vocals perfect, cool riffs, and Suite SisterMary had my jaw on the floor.
Queensryche became my favourite band with this album, and the two that preceded it, taking over from Rush.

So many air guitar, drum and vocal moments  :hefdaddy

That intro...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #214 on: June 29, 2017, 09:36:06 AM »
I have bought this album more than any other. I have gifted it to people, bought The rereleases, special editions, the singles, the vcr. I have the ten inch album promo. Yeah, I'm a bit obsessed.

It needs a 5:1 remaster.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #215 on: June 29, 2017, 09:38:25 AM »
I remember Kerrang saying it wasn't as good as Seventh Son, the story didn't hold together as well - which is complete bollocks.

I nearly firebombed their offices 😀

Offline Art

« Reply #216 on: June 29, 2017, 10:07:05 AM »
A total masterpiece. Musically, it's compelling, energetic, full of great performances. The story works which is more than i can say about most concept albums IMHO.

Really, everything here is awesome.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: June 29, 2017, 10:13:44 AM »
My all time number 1 and everything about it is just music perfection. I wouldn't change a thing on the album.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: June 29, 2017, 10:22:30 AM »
p.s. regarding LIVEcrime -- yes, there will be a write-up. Empire next, then followed by one that will encapsulate both LIVEcrime and Building Empires (in that order). Made sense to cover both of them with one, after Empire.

Following that, there will be one for each of the following: Promised Land (and Promised Land CD-Rom), Hear in the Now Frontier, Q2k (and Live Evolution), Tribe (and Art of Live), Operation: Mindcrime II, Mindcrime at the Moore/Take Cover (size-wise, two for one shot here), American Soldier, Dedicated to Chaos, Queensryche (2013) and Condition Human. I am skipping F.U. (if I need to explain that one, you may be in the wrong thread  :lol)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #219 on: June 29, 2017, 04:32:09 PM »
I'd like to begin by heaping tons of praise on Samsara for the incredible quality of his write-ups. Between this thread and the Iron Maiden discography thread, the bar has been raised to incredible heights. I've been able to learn quite a bit of things that I didn't know about a couple of my favorite bands, lately. Not only have the threads been informative, but they have been so well written that I enjoy them, and look forward to each new entry.

I was one of the fortunate people to hear this album the day that it was released. My older brother that had first introduced me to QR had moved out of the house by this point, and showed up out of the blue one day to pick me up after school and take me to his apartment across town. I didn't think anything was odd about this until we got to his place, and he fired up his stereo without letting me see which cassette tape that he was going to put in. As soon as the voices started coming through the speakers he sat down next to me, and showed me the tape case. I can't say for sure, but I think that some of the wrinkles that I anticipate wearing on my face when I reach old age will have been the result of the shit-eating-grin that I wore for the next hour.

The music, while being different than anything that they had done before, was unmistakably QR. The production was a bit odd, and probably wouldn't have worked well for any other band under most circumstances, but it fit perfectly with this band, this album and this time. It took me a little while to immerse myself into the concept, but once it clicked I was really drawn in. On a side note, someone mentioned this album in competition with 7th son from Iron Maiden. It's not even fucking close. I love both bands, but 7th son isn't even in the same league from that standpoint.

The tour for this album would also be the first time I got to see the band live. I want to say that it was in either November, or December of 1988 at the Ohio Center in Columbus, Ohio. They were opening for Metallica. I was only about 15 years old at the time, and this would only be my second concert that I ever attended, but some of my memories of that show are quite vivid. We could have left after QR's set, and I would have been perfectly happy at the time.

This record stayed in heavy rotation for me over the next few years. I ate, shit, slept and generally lived with this album as a great deal of the music that I listened to for a significant period of time. I realize that I'm jumping ahead of things here, but when I seen them perform the album in full a few years later on the Building Empires Tour, I still consider that to be one of the greatest shows that I've ever witnessed. You can go back and watch the Livecrime dvd now, but there was absolutely nothing that compares to being there in person. To witness a band that's firing on all cylinders and taking the world by storm is a priceless experience.

The only down-side to this album is that in later days, the band ended up burning me out on it. Every time I'd see them live (with one great exception that we'll get to later in this thread) there would be some kind of reference to the album that gave me the impression that a great deal of the audience was only there to hear music from it, and the band knew it quite well. I've always been a fan of bands that take risks, and are willing to step out of their comfort zone on occasion. In fact, I think that it's safe to say that QR is the very reason that I admire this in music to begin with. No album from the EP to HitNF sounds anything like the one to precede it. Their willingness to take those risks left with CD, and they ended up relying on the past success of this album as a crutch for far too long afterwards.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #220 on: June 29, 2017, 05:59:31 PM »
Love this album. Can't remember if I told this story already, but shortly after being introduced to Maiden my dad got me an MP3 player for Christmas preloaded with 5 songs. Two of them were Rock and Roll All Nite and The Trooper (from Rock In Rio I think). Can't remember the other ones, but the 5th was Eyes Of a Stranger. It was also the only song I wasn't familiar with, but my dad said they were a good band I might like. I thought Geoff Tate sounded a lot like Bruce Dickinson, which was enough to get me hooked.

I didn't actually listen to Mindcrime until much later though. Not sure why. I do remember being surprised that it was a Metal album, based on the cover. It was quite a departure from the comic book style of bands like Iron Maiden and Dio. When I did get around to listening to it I was starting to get into Pink Floyd and was really into concept albums. Operation Mindcrime was like a Metal Floyd album. It had the atmosphere, the drama, the narrative. It was like Iron Maiden meets Pink Floyd. Does it get better than that? This was a couple years before DT so Queensryche and this album were really my introduction to progressive metal, although I wasn't familiar with the term at the time.

Dunno what else to say that hasn't already been said. There are a couple points I want to bring up though. First of all, can we appreciate the amount of depth the band were able to pack into a single LP? I'm not sure I can think of any other rock operas (with a storyline and characters etc) that weren't double albums. Obviously Scenes From a Memory is one CD but it's double LP length.

Along similar lines, this is one of the best concept albums as far as individual songs go. A common complaint with albums like these is that there are a lot of "filler" tracks that only work in the context of the album. On Mindcrime there are only a few interlude tracks. The rest are great songs that would be top quality on any other album. Again, I can't think of any other rock operas that tell a coherent story but also have this many great individual songs. Seventh Son had the songs but fell short in the story department. Scenes From a Memory comes close but not quite IMO.

These writeups are fantastic btw. I definitely feel a level of friendly competition on trying to live up to the latest Queensryche entries with my Maiden thread.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #221 on: June 29, 2017, 06:41:49 PM »
I was about to boast how high I had this in The TAC Top 50, but after checking the archived thread, seems I have it at 33 tied with Warning. :blush

This and Seventh Son came out weeks apart, I recall.

Even though, I was still a bit confused about RFO, I was too much of a fan of Warning/The EP to pass on the new QR album. This was a release day purchase. The spring of my sophomore year of college.

I was amazed at this phenomenal album. Yes, Queensryche was back!!!

This is one of my all time Top 3 Vocals, the others being Labrie on I&W, and Kiske on Keepers Pt.2. What's amazing about this album is that it's half over before you can take a breathe. Seriously, no album picks you up and carries you like this one.

My only gripe is that after The Needle Lies, the album looses major momentum, and then BAM, you're into Eyes Of A Stranger and then it's over. Like WTF just happened?? Where did it go??

Also notable is that Scott Rockenfield continued to amaze me with his drumming. I can literally feel the joy in his drumming. Really, only MP has ever made me feel that as well.

Saw them open for Def Leppard in Sept of '88, and then saw three of the shows they did with Metallica in '89.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #222 on: June 29, 2017, 07:31:24 PM »

My only gripe is that after The Needle Lies, the album looses major momentum, and then BAM, you're into Eyes Of A Stranger and then it's over. Like WTF just happened?? Where did it go??

This is the only reason I put this album below Rage For Order.   I Don't Believe in Love and Breaking the Silence are very below par QR songs, and it was obvious to me that after going full on for the concept for the first half of the album, they decided they needed a hit single, and tried to right one.   This never goes well. 

I also think that Eyes of a Stranger is fairly disjointed.   The opening, and the mood of the main riff is perfect.   But the verses sound like they've been pasted in from a different song.    Still, it does rise above its flaws and makes for a pretty good album closer. 

Suite Sister Mary is the single greatest song they've ever written.   The Mission and Speak aren't far behind.   In fact, I go so far as to say that Speak through SSM is the greatest 4 song run in the entire QR catalog..........and in fact, possibly on any album ever.    But as a complete album, I think RFO is the slightly more consistent. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #223 on: June 29, 2017, 07:34:25 PM »
I absolutely LOVE The Mission.

"Turn my life arrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddd".
 :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #224 on: June 29, 2017, 08:00:52 PM »
Even though I agree with the comments that the album runs out of gas a little after Suite Sister Mary (how could it not given how great that run is from Speak to SMM?), this is still a great album.  Definitely my 3rd favorite QR album, behind Promised Land and Rage for Order.  And even though the whole band is great, Tate is the star of this record.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2017, 08:15:00 PM »
Even though I agree with the comments that the album runs out of gas a little after Suite Sister Mary (how could it not given how great that run is from Speak to SMM?), this is still a great album.
Yes!

And even though the whole band is great, Tate is the star of this record.
Yes!

Definitely my 3rd favorite QR album, behind Promised Land and Rage for Order.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-ts2s&list=RDk5hWWe-ts2s#t=0

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #226 on: June 30, 2017, 03:20:18 AM »
I could write a lot of tl;dr texts about this record but almost everything has already been said.

One of the best records of all time. Tate in his absolute prime, was never better than this and sadly never will be. So rich, so powerful yet so emotional.

Great story that I can understand, not like a lot of other concept albums with more esoteric or metaphorical themes. Everything fits and helps develop the story. Like someone else has said Metal meets Pink Floyd (and O:M always reminded me heavily of The Wall, not music wise but concept and structure).

All songs are great but I have to say it: Suite Sister Mary is far from the best they've done. It fits the story and has some great parts, but as a whole it lacks some cohesiveness. Favorites probably Revolution Calling, Speak, I Don't Believe In Love and Eyes Of A Stranger.

PS: Although I said I understand the story, for a long time I thought that Nikki killed Mary himself in the act of passion. Still think this would be a cool twist to the story.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #227 on: June 30, 2017, 07:51:29 AM »

This is the only reason I put this album below Rage For Order.   I Don't Believe in Love and Breaking the Silence are very below par QR songs, and it was obvious to me that after going full on for the concept for the first half of the album, they decided they needed a hit single, and tried to right one.   This never goes well. 

I also think that Eyes of a Stranger is fairly disjointed.   The opening, and the mood of the main riff is perfect.   But the verses sound like they've been pasted in from a different song.    Still, it does rise above its flaws and makes for a pretty good album closer. 

Suite Sister Mary is the single greatest song they've ever written.   The Mission and Speak aren't far behind.   In fact, I go so far as to say that Speak through SSM is the greatest 4 song run in the entire QR catalog..........and in fact, possibly on any album ever.    But as a complete album, I think RFO is the slightly more consistent.

No no no.
IDBIL and BTS poor? 😡
I guess you're not fans of Empire? These songs foreshadowed what was to come. Not epics but very fine songs.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #228 on: June 30, 2017, 07:54:18 AM »
Easily still one of my all time, probably top 5 metal albums.
Everything about this fantastic record is already said, I can just add some personal experiences.
I've mentioned somewhere before that I've heard the title song played on the radio station over here when they were interviewed by Alfred Lagarde (a legendary pioneer hardrock/metal DJ over here) when they were still mixing the record in the Wisseloord Studio's in the Netherlands.
I was stupified how good it sounded. After reading another rave review in the aforementioned magazine OOR (back when it didn't suck) I knew I had to buy this upon release, and luckily I found it in my local record store. The magazine did mention the fug ugly record cover and that all the budget had probably gone to the sound production (and come on, we can all agree it's an UGLY cover, can't we? Well, it's Iconic now, so maybe not so ugly).
From getting home and putting the vinyl on and trying to read allong with the lyrics (which was pretty hard to do, due to the colourscheme and the small print) I was engrossed in the music, the story, the songs and Tate's classic performances. I mean, this album had it ALL. That's why it was and will Always be my alltime favourite Queensryche album. And that's why I hated Empire as much at the start. As a whole that didn't very much for me.

One mention about how even a small filler segueway song like Waiting for 22 was so awesome and emotional. I f'ing loved it.

I must add that I even heard Suite Sister Mary played on the radio once at night (Yes, the whole glorious thing, I think just after release) and I was totally flabbergasted and had goosebumps all over my arms when it finished. !

Took me some years to finally get Operation LiveCrime and watch it, but I was a bit disapointment with the flat sound on that for some reason, but we'll talk about that when we get to it!

'The Undergroooooooouuuunddd will rise and safe the world....we'll all stand proud....'
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: June 30, 2017, 08:03:05 AM »
Side One easily makes my list of Top 50 album sides.

Which brings up a question:  anyone buy this on vinyl when it came out?  'I remember now'......recording my friend's CD onto a 60 minute cassette way back after listening to the album a few months after its release.  Side One was fine, fast forwarding after 'The Mission'.  Side Two.....I made the decision to cut 'Breaking The Silence' in order for it to fit (oh, the humanity!).  33 minutes on one vinyl side was certainly pushing things.

Moving ahead to the 2003 reissue with bonus tracks:  'Eyes of a Stranger', with its 'Anarchy Xtra' finish, should have been included.  A great finish to a truly great album, whose lyrics still apply today.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #230 on: June 30, 2017, 12:23:06 PM »

No no no.
IDBIL and BTS poor? 😡
I guess you're not fans of Empire? These songs foreshadowed what was to come. Not epics but very fine songs.

I HATED Empire when it first came out. I have since grown to like it...but I still can't stand JCW and ARN. Those are just fluff pieces. The album would be better without them. But we'll discuss that album when the time comes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #231 on: June 30, 2017, 04:59:47 PM »
The end of Suite Sister Mary is probably the best QR moment ever.

"You're miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine!!!"

Following by the reprise of that epic riff and the ending with the choir vocals.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline jammindude

« Reply #232 on: June 30, 2017, 05:46:21 PM »

Following by the reprise of that epic riff and the ending with the choir vocals.

That's a contender.....but IDK.... That "The UN-DER-GRROOOOOOOOOUUUUUNNNDDDD (they'll say)" from The Mission is pretty freakin close. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #233 on: June 30, 2017, 07:32:34 PM »
I wore this album down like my Dad's Playboy collection.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #234 on: June 30, 2017, 07:36:28 PM »
Yup, I also heard putting this tape in the deck would cause one to grow hair on their palms.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #235 on: June 30, 2017, 07:43:16 PM »
My palms were smooth after listening to this album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: June 30, 2017, 09:28:20 PM »
Just gave this album another listen and I don't get it. Like I stated earlier I only heard a few songs aside from the hits and O:M before the start of this thread; now after listening to the warning and rage those are much better then O:M in my opinion. The song writing isn't there.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #237 on: July 01, 2017, 06:36:02 AM »
Jesus H!  Ya fall behind in this thread for a bit, and it takes almost 2 hours to read 2.5 pages! 

I'd like to begin by heaping tons of praise on Samsara for the incredible quality of his write-ups. Between this thread and the Iron Maiden discography thread, the bar has been raised to incredible heights. I've been able to learn quite a bit of things that I didn't know about a couple of my favorite bands, lately. Not only have the threads been informative, but they have been so well written that I enjoy them, and look forward to each new entry.

Ditto

I never new that Live in Tokyo (god, how many albums are actually called that!?!?!) was an official release.  Listened off YT, and enjoyed it well enough.  I'm not a huge fan of the early QR stuff (RFO-PL is where they are god-tier for me), so not a lot to comment.

Rage For Order
Man, I really wish I had got into QR chronologically.  RFO came in my sequence of discovery after Empire and O:M for me, and I think my appreciation of those albums would have been much greater had I discovered RFO before them (and Warning before it) - being able to appreciate the 'growth' of the band in terms of writing and performance - which is weird for me to say, because Empire and O:M are both in my top 25 albums of all time!  RFO is an absolutely stellar album, with no duds on it whatsoever.  And I agree with Bosk... it aged very well for me - initially it was just pretty good, but now I consider it top shelf material. 

I will say that this album has really aged well for me. For me, it's still miles behind Warming/O:M, but with each successive album QR put out after Empire, RFO continued to improve in the standings. I like it. A Lot.

Obvious statement is obvious.

Argh!  Somebody needs to do a better job updating the Discography Tracker thread.  I had no idea that this had started.

I added this when I last edited the OP - June 7th.

Operation:Mindcrime
Thinking back, this was probably what I would consider my first truly "progressive" metal album.  I'd had some of the classic prog-rock stuff (Yes and Genesis), but I'd never heard anything like this before.  It now stands as the #8 GOAT album on my list - and most of what I rank higher is because of what they mean to me personally and the impact they had on my music-listening life.  If I was just to rank how "great" I consider the albums, I might just put it #2 or #3.  Flawless in every way, and for as much as I love concept albums, I would say it's the best concept album of all time (although, only #2 in terms of my "favorite").  The story, flow, lyrics, writing, performance, diversity, melodies .... there is not a damn thing about this album that isn't perfect.  I do not have enough superlatives for this album.  Dat Suite Sister Mary riff.... goosebumps every single time.

I remember when I bought the album thinking that the cover was simultaneously the weirdest, most intriguing, and most bad-ass cover I'd ever seen - at least, at the time. 

Agree completely with Mosh that all of the songs could stand alone on their own, and likely be one of the the best songs on any given album.

Samsara ... As for skipping F:U, just link wolfking's review.  That sums it up perfectly.  Page 11 of the "unofficial" Queensryche thread.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #238 on: July 01, 2017, 08:35:02 AM »
Argh!  Somebody needs to do a better job updating the Discography Tracker thread.  I had no idea that this had started.

I added this when I last edited the OP - June 7th.

Editing the OP does not trigger a "new post in the thread" notice.  One would still have to open The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread every day to see if it's been updated.  It's easier if you add a post to The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread each time, because some of us follow threads via "Show new replies to your posts" or "Show unread posts since last visit".

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: July 01, 2017, 09:34:44 AM »
Just a quick reply to say I'm glad everyone is enjoying the thread and I appreciate the compliments. Thank you.

This is fun for me. My site -- www.anybodylistening.net -- is where I draw most of the info from (in fact, I am using these album write-ups to replace what I have already written on the site). The site is organized like a book -- a history divided into chapters, and an appendix with the discography, tour date archive (including individual gig pages), and a scrapbook with all those old 80s and 90s magazine article scans. Check it out when you have time.

Mosh -- dude, your Maiden thread is legendary. I just try to do my best to keep up with you!  :metal

Have a great weekend everyone!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #240 on: July 01, 2017, 09:43:12 AM »
Just gave this album another listen and I don't get it. Like I stated earlier I only heard a few songs aside from the hits and O:M before the start of this thread; now after listening to the warning and rage those are much better then O:M in my opinion. The song writing isn't there.

A vast majority of the songs I would classify on the surface as merely good (with the above average ones being Speak, Spreading the Disease, The Mission and Suite Sister Mary and Eyes of a Stranger), and to expand on what I said about Tate being the star of this album, if you put this album in the hands of a lesser vocalist, it would be nothing more than a good, solid album, but Tate elevates most of the songs with his singing.  It's like, every song that rocks at all has the same guitar tones, similar musical vibe, etc., but Tate's vocal delivery carries the songs and the emotion of the story, not the music, in most of the songs, IMO.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: July 01, 2017, 11:10:23 AM »

A vast majority of the songs I would classify on the surface as merely good (with the above average ones being Speak, Spreading the Disease, The Mission and Suite Sister Mary and Eyes of a Stranger), and to expand on what I said about Tate being the star of this album, if you put this album in the hands of a lesser vocalist, it would be nothing more than a good, solid album, but Tate elevates most of the songs with his singing.  It's like, every song that rocks at all has the same guitar tones, similar musical vibe, etc., but Tate's vocal delivery carries the songs and the emotion of the story, not the music, in most of the songs, IMO.

That's a really interesting perspective. I don't disagree on Tate -- his performance takes the record to a whole different level. But I do disagree on the quality of the songs. I think what Queensryche achieved on Mindcrime was coming to a happy place in regard to melding the style of their influences and original experimentation and sound into something that maintains an understated complexity, but is also appealing to a melodic ear on the radio at the time. The ultimate conclusion of that would be the next record, Empire, when the sound was warmer, but we'll get to that..

However, all that said, I think the other point that needs to be remembered were that the songs were all reliant on one another to drive the story. So it's not surprising that Tate's performance brings things to a higher level, because it was the story that drove the way the songs were written musically. Most songs are written musically first, and then lyrics are crafted (not all the time, but generally, and especially with QR). With Mindcrime, the lyrics weren't written first, but the story outline was -- the scenes were sketched out, which dictated the writing of the music.

For me, one of my favorites is probably one of the more radio-friendly on the record -- Breaking the Silence. That and I Don't Believe in Love (as I believe someone said above before me) really foreshadowed what would come in 1990...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:18:44 AM by Samsara »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: July 01, 2017, 11:13:49 AM »
The Needle Lies is an underrated tune as well.  That song is just straight pure metal!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #243 on: July 01, 2017, 11:30:20 AM »

It could be one of those "you had to be there at the time" things. You can't replicate the era around it and how groundbreaking and different it was from what everyone else was doing and we are thirty years later.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #244 on: July 01, 2017, 11:31:44 AM »

That's a contender.....but IDK.... That "The UN-DER-GRROOOOOOOOOUUUUUNNNDDDD (they'll say)" from The Mission is pretty freakin close.

It's those deep breaths because he's been running around the streets in the middle of Needle Lies that gets me every time, then he's off again  :hefdaddy