Author Topic: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.  (Read 48624 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.
« Reply #245 on: December 08, 2017, 01:14:30 AM »
OK episode.  But not much of a finale was it?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #246 on: December 08, 2017, 03:35:32 AM »
It's an episodic show, and MacFarlane said a while ago this season wouldn't have a cliffhanger or anything like that, so I wasn't expecting anything particularly different. Also, 13 episodes were made for this season, but only 12 were shown, because the last one would have been delayed because of Christmas etc, so it's been held back to air with next season. I don't know whether the episode that got held back was the 12th episode, or what was supposed to air as the last episode, so that may or may not have made a difference.

Very good episode btw. Definitely reminded me of Voyager - Blink of an Eye with the time acceleration and becoming part of the planet's belief system. Always an interesting story telling device. I think they covered the religious angle enough in other episodes to not need to do it here, but it was still fine here too, and left a more positive note.
I'm surprised a bunch of cavemen catching a quick glimpse of Kelly running away managed to capture such a perfect likely of not only her face, but the intricacies of a uniform completely alien to them. :lol

Hopefully this means they're done with the romantic angle with the captain now. I understand wanting to include some drama for a more general audience, but it's run its course now, and the show doesn't need it. Also, I think they've managed to find the right balance of comedy/scifi now. I'm really looking forward to next season, and hope they get a decent run.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #247 on: December 11, 2017, 08:36:35 AM »
I thought the premise for the final show was excellent. They took two existing ideas and merged them into something that, honestly, any of the original ST series should have figured out. You had the contamination of First Contact (episode) played out over the time scale of Blink of and Eye. While I could have lived without the whole Ed and Grayson thing, it wasn't awful and the other character's bits were pretty good. I really liked Ed hanging out with the Bortus household.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #248 on: December 11, 2017, 10:03:43 PM »
Ensign Turco was hot.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #249 on: December 31, 2017, 02:45:56 PM »
Hell yeah, she was!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #250 on: December 31, 2017, 02:46:04 PM »
Tell me more, Orbert!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #251 on: December 31, 2017, 02:46:14 PM »
I don't know any more.  I just know that she was hot.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #252 on: December 31, 2017, 02:48:45 PM »
Oh, okay.

In that case, here's a very bad Star Trek fan film that Seth McFarlane and his friends made a long time ago:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #253 on: December 31, 2017, 03:29:01 PM »
He does a pretty good Kirk.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #254 on: December 31, 2017, 03:37:25 PM »
Seth has said that The Orville is the show he's always wanted to make.  This fits perfectly.  He's always wanted to be Kirk, or if not Kirk, then the captain of a starship somewhere, sometime.  Now he's doing exactly that.  Hold on to your dreams, kids!  They can come true!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #255 on: February 14, 2018, 08:42:54 AM »
Bump because I just finished watching it last night...for the second time. I seriously can’t get enough of this show, it’s just what Star Trek should be.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #256 on: February 15, 2018, 05:24:05 AM »
Such an odd show for me.  I'd probably say I mildly enjoyed it overall - but there is massive room for improvement.
I started off absolutely hating it - the first two episodes are all over the place tone wise, a really scattershot approach where barely anything hits.  The stories and world felt derivative, the comedy wasn't to my taste at all and the action is laughably bad.  By the end of the second episode which ended with aliens watching earth reality TV --- I didn't want to watch anymore of this shite, and gave up.

I came back to it after hearing it have been improving - bulk watched the next 5 episodes to catch up, and yeah there were still major faults but I started to like aspects of the show more.  I think the season peaked around the middle, then unfortuantly fell back into some of the more annoying traits again at the end.

I have read the Seth is going to include much less comedy for the next season, which to me it very welcome.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #257 on: February 15, 2018, 08:35:27 AM »
I have read the Seth is going to include much less comedy for the next season, which to me it very welcome.
Indeed. It's much better at sci-fi than it is at comedy. And there's actually room for both. You can do comedy episodes as every other ST has shown (not sure about ENT, actually). You can also keep the entire series on a light-hearted tone without the need for constant jokes that hit or miss. You can also do the occasional "dark as fuck" episode, which he's clearly not opposed to, either.

One thing that did surprise me is that he's got no problem at all being much darker than Trek in general. People being beaten to death by angry mobs. Women being tortured. Severed heads being mutilated. Crucifixions. DS9 was pretty violent but didn't have the same feel that some of his scenes did. Dude's got all of the components on hand to do some very good stuff. He just needs to learn how to better incorporate them.
E.F. Benson

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #258 on: February 15, 2018, 09:31:43 AM »
Indeed. It's much better at sci-fi than it is at comedy. And there's actually room for both. You can do comedy episodes as every other ST has shown (not sure about ENT, actually). You can also keep the entire series on a light-hearted tone without the need for constant jokes that hit or miss. You can also do the occasional "dark as fuck" episode, which he's clearly not opposed to, either.

One thing that did surprise me is that he's got no problem at all being much darker than Trek in general. People being beaten to death by angry mobs. Women being tortured. Severed heads being mutilated. Crucifixions. DS9 was pretty violent but didn't have the same feel that some of his scenes did. Dude's got all of the components on hand to do some very good stuff. He just needs to learn how to better incorporate them.

I don't mind a bit of lighthearted character dialog lines - such as Worf being frustrated, Data misunderstanding etc.  But personally I don't really like comedy story lines or bland situation comedy like the Ed and Kelly setup.  Star Trek is generally crap when a episode goes full on comedy (or the rather strange habit of using Irish stereotypes)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #259 on: February 15, 2018, 09:10:56 PM »
JUST DUNNIT LITE THAT DAHHHM CAHHHNDLE!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Aelon

« Reply #260 on: February 16, 2018, 06:35:48 AM »
JUST DUNNIT LITE THAT DAHHHM CAHHHNDLE!!!

Win.
“And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats...”

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #261 on: February 23, 2018, 02:25:20 PM »
A thing I wrote about why critics seemed to hate this show but audiences loved it: https://thenerdymillennialblog.wordpress.com/2018/02/23/whats-up-with-the-orville/
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #262 on: December 30, 2018, 07:12:50 PM »
YAY!!!!!  It's ON!!!   I was waiting for this show to come back more than any other!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #263 on: December 30, 2018, 07:45:07 PM »
Sweeeeet. I didn't know it was back yet. I loved the first season.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #264 on: December 30, 2018, 08:04:17 PM »
I was wondering if they would change anything since I think the feedback on Season 1 was generally lukewarm (though it obviously has a following).    Like I was wondering if maybe they would go for more jokes and lose the dramedy thing they've got going on.

I'm happy to say that they doubled down on the drama.   It's still full of Seth's style of humor, but the more observational relationship drama is fully intact.    I think this show really nails a nice balance.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #265 on: December 31, 2018, 03:23:38 PM »
Another good episode!  I know they ended up with one more episode for Season 1 than they ended up airing, and I think this was it.  It felt like it followed directly from the last episode, with Mercer and Grayson endlessly trying to figure out their relationship, and a new wrinkle added this time.  The deal with Bortus' annual "release" was handled surprisingly well, especially considering it's clearly a direct satire of the Vulcan Pon Farr, and the cleansing and "new year" theme worked out nicely with the actual air date.  Well played, Fox.

Presumably, the "real" Season 2 starts on Thursday.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #266 on: December 31, 2018, 03:49:28 PM »
Just watched the first episode of season 2 and it was probably the worst episode yet. I really hope they stop with the relationship drama.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #267 on: January 01, 2019, 03:46:49 PM »
Yep, it turns out this episode was production 201, whereas the Thursday episode is 112.  I guess they wanted to have the "real" Season 2 opener.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #268 on: January 01, 2019, 03:48:36 PM »
I was wondering if they would change anything since I think the feedback on Season 1 was generally lukewarm (though it obviously has a following).    Like I was wondering if maybe they would go for more jokes and lose the dramedy thing they've got going on.

I'm happy to say that they doubled down on the drama.   It's still full of Seth's style of humor, but the more observational relationship drama is fully intact.    I think this show really nails a nice balance.

I really liked the episode, but I don't see how they doubled down on the drama. It was almost drama free. They got the humor just right though, which was nice. It was, overall, a really great, low-key, character episode. Really liked it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #269 on: January 01, 2019, 04:04:16 PM »

I really liked the episode, but I don't see how they doubled down on the drama. It was almost drama free. They got the humor just right though, which was nice. It was, overall, a really great, low-key, character episode. Really liked it.

Wha???   The tension between the captain and the ex?  The new beau?   Even the kids getting into trouble?   Granted...it's basic situational drama that you would find in old school sitcoms, but it's a far cry from the slapstick...almost Airplane-esque...feel that a lot of people were expecting.   I think this show is playing it fairly straight compared to the type of stuff Seth usually does.

EDIT - I know quite a few people who saw the initial previews and were thinking it was going to be something along the lines of "Dumb and Dumber In Space"....and that's not the way it went at all.

Online Adami

« Reply #270 on: January 01, 2019, 04:08:30 PM »
I completely agree. Technically, that stuff was drama, but.......barely. Kids cheating? Girl has new boyfriend?

Orville has a decently high bar for drama from the 1st season, so this stuff just didn't register as drama to me. Especially not "doubling down on drama."

Still a ton of humor, they just refined it a lot more. The spying in the shuttle was funny. The story about the two headed girl was surprisingly hilarious.

I mean, the whole episode (spoilers?) was about a guy going to pee. The episode was like 95% comedy, it was just really good comedy and didn't feel like a bad Family Guy episode like much of the other humor from episode 1.

Like I said, loved the episode. Looking forward to the rest of season 2.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #271 on: January 03, 2019, 10:41:53 PM »
Ok Adami.....tell me THAT wasn't drama.    :angel:

I thought that got pretty heavy in places.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #272 on: January 04, 2019, 08:37:54 AM »
I didn't see anything dramatic about it, but as Adami said, they struck a very nice balance with the humor. That's where the show erred last year. What I hope is that he can maintain that balance while working in the sci-fi element, which is what he already has down.

The fact that Bortis's "release" happens on a magnificent precipice overlooking a grand canyon, presumably full of piss, was a great idea. I got a good chuckle out of that. As for the rest of the episode nothing else was really noteworthy. It was a safe episode to start the season, which is a perfectly acceptable thing. I am a bit disappointed that we get a leftover from last year next, though.

Also, I don't like Claire and I hate her kids, but having Isaac as the surrogate father is a pretty good idea. Isaac might be my favorite character and this is an interesting way to put him out there.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #273 on: January 04, 2019, 08:41:35 AM »

Tell you what wasn't drama? Did they show a new episode?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #274 on: January 04, 2019, 09:48:45 AM »
I didn't see anything dramatic about it, but as Adami said, they struck a very nice balance with the humor. That's where the show erred last year. What I hope is that he can maintain that balance while working in the sci-fi element, which is what he already has down.

The fact that Bortis's "release" happens on a magnificent precipice overlooking a grand canyon, presumably full of piss, was a great idea. I got a good chuckle out of that. As for the rest of the episode nothing else was really noteworthy. It was a safe episode to start the season, which is a perfectly acceptable thing. I am a bit disappointed that we get a leftover from last year next, though.

Also, I don't like Claire and I hate her kids, but having Isaac as the surrogate father is a pretty good idea. Isaac might be my favorite character and this is an interesting way to put him out there.

I think Seth is playing it safe. He doesn't want to do his typical over the top humor with an ode to an iconic show he loved growing up watching.  So he does a nice balance of humor that's not too over the top.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #275 on: January 04, 2019, 10:37:35 AM »

Yes. New episodes air Thursday at 9pm.

Online Adami

« Reply #276 on: January 04, 2019, 10:39:58 AM »

Yes. New episodes air Thursday at 9pm.

Ohhhh. I watch them on Hulu, so it's always a day or so later.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #277 on: January 04, 2019, 06:53:09 PM »
Good episode. Really enjoyed it. Another perfect blend of drama and humor. I think there was one gag I didn't like, when they were briefly arguing about how to pronounce the lady's name, but the rest was great.

Drama was still much lighter than it could have been, given what they actually did, but it was well done.

Really loving this show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PetFish

« Reply #278 on: January 05, 2019, 09:45:22 PM »
I've never been so uncomfortable watching a TV show.  Ever.  But that's a great thing.

I think what bothered me is that Bortus' voice is bass-y and monotone enough and then when you get a bunch of them all talking like that it's really tiring to listen to.

One thing that ALWAYS bugs me about Star Trek is how SLOW everything is when they need to be FAST.  So here we have a planet that's just about to be destroyed and instead of everyone being ready to go in their suits as soon as the shuttle lands it's all like "let's walk to the door, climb down the ladder, meet & greet the people, then talk for a while, now we can only take 30 of you so let's take more time to have a lottery, then we'll take even more time saying goodbye, etc".

It should have been "LAND!  RUN!  TAKE OFF!  COME BACK FOR MORE!" but, as usual it's always like "we're in range now, Captain."  "Ok, lock on and engage transporter and beam them directly to sick bay" when this entire sequence should already have been ready to go the INSTANT they were in range.  GAH!

I really hate what they did to Topa and I'm glad it was addressed and not just everyone being ok with it... but WTF is that Jabbe the Hutt thing?  Jebus Crunch, it's disgusting.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #279 on: January 06, 2019, 09:04:33 PM »
Did anybody notice that Jason Alexander was the bartender? I didn't.
E.F. Benson