Author Topic: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.  (Read 48630 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.
« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2017, 10:43:24 AM »
I'm just excited that anybody else remembers Sliders. :lol I'd say it was probably Trek inspired, with the timer being their plot device to set up a scenario in the same way a spaceship was to Trek.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2017, 10:54:09 AM »
I'm just excited that anybody else remembers Sliders. :lol I'd say it was probably Trek inspired, with the timer being their plot device to set up a scenario in the same way a spaceship was to Trek.

I tried watching Sliders again a year or so ago, but it was pretty boring. It was a regular family watch back in the day.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #177 on: October 28, 2017, 11:02:02 AM »
Lots of people on previously.tv saying that Black Mirror already did this episode.  Good thing I don't watch that show.

Orbert, not watching Black Mirror is never a good thing! :lol Get on that shit now. The episode in question is the first of the Netflix bunch. And the upcoming episodes will include what appears to be a clear TOS parody episode, which I'm looking forward to.

I've heard it's great.  But I don't do Netflix.  Got too many bills to pay already, and not enough time to watch what I record as it is.  Not looking for new demands on my time.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: October 28, 2017, 11:04:25 AM »
I tried watching Sliders again a year or so ago, but it was pretty boring. It was a regular family watch back in the day.

I still quite enjoy the first two seasons, although the pilot is really dull. It went off the rails entirely in S3, and gets decent again at S4, then declined again for S5. I got them all on DVD, and thought those first couple of seasons held up pretty well, but I do have a big soft spot for '90s scifi/fantasy.

I've heard it's great.  But I don't do Netflix.  Got too many bills to pay already, and not enough time to watch what I record as it is.  Not looking for new demands on my time.

Fair enough. :tup My fault for assuming people have access to everything. :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #179 on: October 28, 2017, 11:23:43 AM »
One thing I'm still struggling with is the humor element. I'm totally fine with them watching Seinfeld on the big screen, but LeVar, I mean LaMarr, grinding a statue on an away mission, I rather get annoyed than laugh.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2017, 11:50:01 AM »
I actually thought the most recent episode was pretty good. It was no more heavy-handed than any other socially-conscious episode of ST. Hell, probably less so than TOS or TNG. And for once the social commentary was pretty accurate. I also think the completely unstructured democracy is an interesting idea that hasn't been explored.

Interesting, I thought the episode was going to go a completely different direction at first, and it could have been made to work just as well. When people start to film him humping the statue, I figured he was going to get up-voted right on into the presidency. That would have been a less cliched problem of equal import for them to resolve.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #181 on: October 29, 2017, 08:12:42 AM »
Looking at next week's preview it looks like Brian Thompson is in it. I've always liked him as a badass in movies and TV shows.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: October 29, 2017, 08:18:18 AM »
I recognize him, but couldn't place him, but he's guest starred in several episodes of Star Trek.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2017, 08:26:52 AM »
Too many TV shows to type but he was the bad guy in Cobra with Stallone.

The famous line, "What are you gonna do pig?"
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: October 29, 2017, 08:35:00 AM »
I haven't seen Cobra yet, but I did see Over the Top a few nights ago. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: October 29, 2017, 08:41:39 AM »
 :lol

So you will love it then.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2017, 11:46:01 AM »
The Orville just got renewed for a second season. :metal

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #187 on: November 02, 2017, 11:47:44 AM »

I hope they make some small cast changes.

Get rid of that 2nd pilot dude that was almost killed for dry humping a statue. Seriously. He's worthless.

Bring in someone to add in a different style of humor. A super dry witty guy would be nice, rather than all the frat boy humor the show uses.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: November 02, 2017, 11:51:00 AM »
I don't think they need any cast changes, I think they just need to utilize the cast more fully. I still feel like they're dialing in the balance of comedy and how it fits with the scifi, so by S2 they'll hopefully have it sorted. I'm really glad it's renewed though. It would have been a cruel fate to cancel The Orville and yet have to endure another season of STD.

Online Adami

« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2017, 11:53:37 AM »
The dude is just redundant though. He is the same as the other main pilot. We don't need two of the same characters. The main pilot serves a bigger purpose, but that other dude just is there.

Ohhh an Odo (later seasons) kind of character would be neat. Shape shifter trying to figure out how to relate to others. They have the robot, but he doesn't have that interest, which makes him unique, but I think another character that is a bit lost socially would be cool.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: November 02, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »
The other dude is there to meet the diversity quota. Duh.

I actually love how the robot subverts the Trek/scifi trope of the AI/robot wanting to be more human, and instead just realizes he's far superior to humans. :lol
As I said, I do think they really need to utilize the cast better. You're not wrong about the pilot dude being redundant, though I don't think they need to replace him, but they definitely need to develop his character more so he has a use. At this point I'm not too bothered by it, but with a second season, they need to start giving those characters more depth.

Online Adami

« Reply #191 on: November 02, 2017, 12:06:14 PM »
Yea I really like the robot dude. Keep forgetting his name. I really wish they would give him more focus. When they do, such as the practical joke thing, it's amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #192 on: November 02, 2017, 12:12:47 PM »
Just kill him and give Bortus his job. I can't figure out what he's supposed to do, anyway. I'd rather see them replace the doctor, though. She's the one that doesn't work. That's where I could see the dry, witty guy.

And I dig the robot not wanting to be human, but that's also Spock. He was there to provide the analytical perspective and considered himself superior to humans.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #193 on: November 02, 2017, 12:13:07 PM »

Good to hear! Checking out Orville is definitely on my to do- list.

Is it true that Patrick Stewart and Scott Bakula did cameos for Orville?

Online Adami

« Reply #194 on: November 02, 2017, 12:15:11 PM »
Just kill him and give Bortus his job. I can't figure out what he's supposed to do, anyway. I'd rather see them replace the doctor, though. She's the one that doesn't work. That's where I could see the dry, witty guy.

And I dig the robot not wanting to be human, but that's also Spock. He was there to provide the analytical perspective and considered himself superior to humans.

But Spock's thing was that he was half human. It wasn't that he didn't want to be human, he was struggling against it actively. It's a small difference, but Robot dude just doesn't have any concern at all. He's a complete outsider.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #195 on: November 02, 2017, 01:16:32 PM »
I really liked last week's episode but there Is something that the show is doing, or attempting to do that is falling kinda flat with me. I keep coming back to a comparison with MASH, a group of silly individuals in a serious situation, and often enough amidst the hilarity there is something serious that happens that does fall kinda heavy on the viewer, at least it did with me.

Though I love the humor in the Orville, I feel when they try to bring it back to something serious, it's the seriousness that never ever sticks with me, in fact I find the attempt at real drama so silly it feels like a joke in and of itself.

The idea that LaMarr gets put on an away team, who's number one rule is to stay out of sight, out of mind and not cause a ruckus, while proceeding to dry hump a statue is hilarious to me, But it's so god awful stupid that I can't take his plight seriously, and his subsequent behavior not taking the rest of his situation seriously seemed again, hilarious to me but to stupid to take even remotely seriously.

Now maybe I'm reading the show's attempt wrong and they aren't trying so much to pull the mash "silly here serious there" thing, but it seems to me they are trying, and having a guy that bungling run into that situation makes it hard to take this as a "dramady" as someone recently told me it was.

I mean this is a minor nitpick, I still love the show and will take the laughs as I get them, I give last week's a solid 8 outta 10.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #196 on: November 02, 2017, 05:55:42 PM »
In the original Trek, Sulu was the pilot and Chekov was tactical.  He ran weapons, raised shields and stuff.  When you're in battle, you need your pilot to concentrate on flying the ship while someone else mans the weapons.  Even though LaMarr is a bit redundant (and an asshole), we have seen him actually doing his job a few times.

I totally agree that he had no place on that away mission, though, and was apparently only there to get into trouble and lead us into the plot/social commentary of the week.

Unfortunately, Bortus is the one whose job I haven't quite figured out.  In fact, he took three weeks off to sit on an egg and apparently they got by fine without him.  I say unfortunately because I like him a lot more than LaMarr, but it would make sense to lose Bortus.  Or they could lose LaMarr and "promote" Bortus to tactical.  His race specializes in weapons, so it makes sense.

Online Adami

« Reply #197 on: November 02, 2017, 05:57:37 PM »
When I said the dude was redundant, I meant as a character, not his job. His character is like a more dick headish version of the main pilot.

But yea, I'm also not sure what Wofrus' job is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #198 on: November 02, 2017, 06:25:23 PM »
In the original Trek, Sulu was the pilot and Chekov was tactical.  He ran weapons, raised shields and stuff.  When you're in battle, you need your pilot to concentrate on flying the ship while someone else mans the weapons.  Even though LaMarr is a bit redundant (and an asshole), we have seen him actually doing his job a few times.

I totally agree that he had no place on that away mission, though, and was apparently only there to get into trouble and lead us into the plot/social commentary of the week.

Unfortunately, Bortus is the one whose job I haven't quite figured out.  In fact, he took three weeks off to sit on an egg and apparently they got by fine without him.  I say unfortunately because I like him a lot more than LaMarr, but it would make sense to lose Bortus.  Or they could lose LaMarr and "promote" Bortus to tactical.  His race specializes in weapons, so it makes sense.
Sulu was helmsman and Chekov was the navigator. Sulu dealt with tactical. Chekov was the jack of all trades, though. He was Spock's backup at science in TOS, and was head of security and tactical officer in the movies.

I gather Lamaar is supposed to be the tactical officer. As I said before, shitcan him and give Bortus the job.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: November 02, 2017, 11:06:38 PM »
I was happy to see this week's episode was focused on the doctor and Isaac. From the start, I knew the setup of robot + kids was going to be fun.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #200 on: November 03, 2017, 02:17:32 AM »
I've given the Orville another chance.  I first quit after three episodes, but found myself at home yesterday with a few hours to kill, so blew though the remaining episodes.   I still don't rate it that highly - however it has potential, but It really, really needs to learn to stand on it's own two feet and stop just copying and pasting old Star Trek plots, every single episode within 15 minutes you can see which old TOS or TNG episode inspired it.  The humor is still hard work for me, humor in Sci Fi works best for me when it's smart and geeky (Futurama, Red Dwarf etc....) the humor is the Orville is often to juvenile and ends up being quit jarring to the tone, also the jokes have the strange habit of being quite repetitive.

Overall I'm happy it's got a second season, hopefully going forward they can found there own niche and move away from just being ST-lite with jock jokes.

I actually love how the robot subverts the Trek/scifi trope of the AI/robot wanting to be more human, and instead just realizes he's far superior to humans. :lol

Bender got there first  :D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 02:22:44 AM by soupytwist »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: November 03, 2017, 02:54:15 AM »
I wouldn't even call it ST-lite these days, given that it's doing the stuff that Star Trek doesn't actually do anymore. Now I just consider it the new Star Trek series. :biggrin:

When Star Trek's done 700+ episodes, every scifi show is going to have some basis for comparison, but that's not necessarily copying. They come from common themes that are universally relevant. History repeats. This week's Discovery episode was also copy/paste of earlier Trek (and everything else that's done Groundhog Day, and probably stuff before that too). All scifi is basically copying Star Trek or The Twilight Zone, directly or indirectly.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #202 on: November 03, 2017, 03:30:00 AM »
I wouldn't even call it ST-lite these days, given that it's doing the stuff that Star Trek doesn't actually do anymore. Now I just consider it the new Star Trek series. :biggrin:

When Star Trek's done 700+ episodes, every scifi show is going to have some basis for comparison, but that's not necessarily copying. They come from common themes that are universally relevant. History repeats. This week's Discovery episode was also copy/paste of earlier Trek (and everything else that's done Groundhog Day, and probably stuff before that too). All scifi is basically copying Star Trek or The Twilight Zone, directly or indirectly.

I think there is scope to create something a little less Trekkie.  Ultimately The Orville isn't Star Trek so it has a fresh universe playground to build in any direction it chooses.  On a tiny budget that basically was spent on some grey paint Red Dwarf created some fantastic Sci Fi concepts in it's early years, even though it was a primarily a comedy show first.

It's annoying that neither of Discovery or The Orville has scratched the Star Trek itch for me.  I see potential in both, but both are a long way from being 'good' TV at the minute.  I'm actually finding Legends of Tomorrow far more entertaining than either, and that show can be as dumb as rocks - but rarely fails to entertain.  However that show had a rocky first season, then grew - so there is hope for both STD and the Orville, glad they both got renewed.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: November 03, 2017, 08:39:23 AM »
I was happy to see this week's episode was focused on the doctor and Isaac. From the start, I knew the setup of robot + kids was going to be fun.

It certainty was.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #204 on: November 03, 2017, 11:56:53 AM »
The Orville officially will explore the deep realms of space for a second season!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: November 03, 2017, 12:05:55 PM »
You were beaten to the news by a day. :lol Doesn't make the news any less excellent though! :biggrin:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #206 on: November 03, 2017, 01:26:52 PM »
And just to point out something to look forward to, eventually SMcF is going to make a play on the vag-faced alien thing, and it should be a real hoot. Wouldn't surprise me if we see an alien species at some point with cocks hanging off of their foreheads. And he's got a crew that'll actually make fun of the phenomenon.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #207 on: November 03, 2017, 03:35:03 PM »
And just to point out something to look forward to, eventually SMcF is going to make a play on the vag-faced alien thing, and it should be a real hoot. Wouldn't surprise me if we see an alien species at some point with cocks hanging off of their foreheads. And he's got a crew that'll actually make fun of the phenomenon.

Men in Black II had ballchinians.

Online Adami

« Reply #208 on: November 03, 2017, 10:48:58 PM »
I actually really liked the newest episode. Glad they gave Issac and the doctor something to do. And unlike that redundant pilot, I cared about their characters and they really held their own.

This was one of those episodes that really was a good ST episode.

Issac just leaving the kids because they'd slow him down was a good touch. So was the doctor just straight up killing that dude who was either holding her captive or protecting her or both.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #209 on: November 04, 2017, 07:47:59 AM »
When I said the dude was redundant, I meant as a character, not his job. His character is like a more dick headish version of the main pilot.

As a character, I don't know if he's redundant, because Malloy needs someone to bro with for their lowbrow humor.  It wouldn't work if Malloy was alone in his foolishness.  Okay, it doesn't quite work now, either, but at least I can understand LaMarr's purpose as a character.  I just think he could be a fun guy, less serious guy, without being an outright dickhead.  You could have the two guys at the front console be joking around and stuff during downtimes, but still be 100% professional when the heat is on.  Like Wash from Firefly, only two of him.

This week's episode was really good.  Some clichéd and predictable stuff, like you knew the kid was gonna get sick when he fell into the water, and all the walking dead outside making their big move on the shuttle getting bombed by the rescue shuttle, but overall some nice moments, like Isaac learning the importance of physical contact, holding the doctor's hand.  And hopefully this was the adventure that turned the kids from little monsters into semi-human, although I'd probably be fine if we never saw them again.