Author Topic: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.  (Read 48633 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2017, 07:58:07 AM »
Same here.  As I said, I still liked it, still found it entertaining overall, but it wasn't as strong as what we've seen already.  And that's okay, too.  Not every at-bat is going to be a home run.

TOS broke a lot of new ground, and at times the tone of that show varied a bit.  I think there was more humor to it, intentional humor, than a lot of people remember.  TNG had the benefit of learning from TOS, but was trying to update things for the 80's/90's as well as take it a step further, thus it too had to find its feet, and took a while to do so.

The Orville has the benefit of several series to study, and is mostly just trying to capture the same feel, with a few changes.  Capturing the feel is working pretty well so far; nearly everything about it has an obvious TNG analogue.  It's the "few changes" that they're still working out.  How to balance the lighter tone with the serious themes.  The balance just seemed off in this one, that's all.

Interesting that the weakest episode thus far IMO is also the only one not written by McFarlane.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2017, 08:14:25 AM »
Interesting that the weakest episode thus far IMO is also the only one not written by McFarlane.

I think that's because MacFarlane has managed to find about the right balance of scifi and humour after doing 5 episodes, whereas a new writer didn't have as much to go on. I think the plot and general drama of this episode was as good as any previous one, it just didn't manage to strike quite the right balance to pull it off as effectively as it could have.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2017, 08:49:19 AM »
My issues with the show (and I like it for the most part) have nothing to do with being able to categorize it. It's that it really just feels bland for the most part. To link it to your argument, when you try to do too many things, you end up not doing any of them to a satisfactory level. If the comedy isn't funny, and the sci-fi isn't thought provoking, then you're just kind of left with the American cheese of TV.

ive found the comedy to be hillarious... top notch..but the sci fi is clearly the backdrop for the comedy and nothing more. its there to be there but superficial and unimaginative. which is fine cause its still funny.

the drama? again superficial ( at best ) but again who cares? its a comedy.

complex issues? oi, unbalanced and biased. trek for the most part did a good job presenting all 3 sides to most social or political topics. Orville falls the flattest here but again... who cares? its effing funny.

i dont think anyone expects family guy to be family ties..
 or million ways to die in the west, i certainly dont expect Orville to be a "real" sci fi show. its a sci fi ripoff using it as a back drop for humor. its about as real of a sci fi flick as spaceballs.

i think you hit the nail on the head. as long as they dont try to do too much it will remain funny.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: October 14, 2017, 08:58:14 AM »
or million ways to die in the west, i certainly dont expect Orville to be a "real" sci fi show. its a sci fi ripoff using it as a back drop for humor. its about as real of a sci fi flick as spaceballs.

If you think that, then you don't know scifi. Comedy aside, this show is very much in the vein of classic science fiction, which is why it's been well received by many Trek fans. People expected a comedy in a scifi setting, and it turned out to be a legit scifi show that happens to have an element of humour to it. Heck, it's much more a "real" scifi show than actual Star Trek these days, which is superficial, empty modern Hollywood action drama dressed up in spaceships. This show gives me what I wanted from Star Trek that Discovery has failed to deliver.

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #144 on: October 14, 2017, 09:13:10 AM »

If you think that, then you don't know scifi. Comedy aside, this show is very much in the vein of classic science fiction, which is why it's been well received by many Trek fans. People expected a comedy in a scifi setting, and it turned out to be a legit scifi show that happens to have an element of humour to it. Heck, it's much more a "real" scifi show than actual Star Trek these days, which is superficial, empty modern Hollywood action drama dressed up in spaceships. This show gives me what I wanted from Star Trek that Discovery has failed to deliver.
oh the "if you dont agree with me then you just know" angle.

well with logic like that why bother disagreeing with you at all?

space balls was well received by sw and st fans too.

i know fans of westerns that loved million ways to die in the west.

sure western and sci fi. yeah the setting sure. its there. but its a vehicle for the comedy.

Discovery is a sci fi show thats using the sci fi not just as a backdrop is an excuse for something like humor. its the primary angle of the show. the sci fi isnt just "there" as an excuse to do comedy in space.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:50:18 AM by DougMasters »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: October 14, 2017, 10:17:36 AM »
There is no evidence that the scifi in The Orville is only to serve comedy. Seth MacFarlane has outright said it's a proper scifi show, and is a long time science fiction fan (having guest starred himself in Enterprise), who's always wanted to make a scifi show. The show backs that up with real scifi plots, social commentary, etc, no different to classic Trek at all in that regard. The only difference is that it also includes humour. If you remove the humour, you still have a great science fiction show that stands on its own. That would not be the case if it were an "excuse" for comedy, and is not the case for parodies such as Space Balls and A Million Ways To Die in the West.
It's not just a matter of disagreement, it's a matter of you being at odds with what everyone has realized since the show aired. I'd claim Discovery is using scifi as a backdrop for drama more than The Orville is using it for comedy.

Also, Space Balls was fucking terrible. Not really relevant, but I had to point it out.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:23:02 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #146 on: October 14, 2017, 10:35:19 AM »
The first time I watched Spaceballs I laughed my ass off. After repeated viewings it got old, and I realized how overrated it was. It still has some great gags, but it's not the be all end all of parodies. Same with Monty Python & the Holy Grail, but I still think that one is better.

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #147 on: October 14, 2017, 10:47:43 AM »
There is no evidence that the scifi in The Orville is only to serve comedy. Seth MacFarlane has outright said it's a proper scifi show,

he could say that till he is blue in the face.

i would predict that no one would watch that if it wasnt funny. its working of tng nostalgia and from my opinion watching it the sci fi is there for a little color to the comedy.

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #148 on: October 14, 2017, 10:49:53 AM »

It's not just a matter of disagreement, it's a matter of you being at odds with what everyone has realized

everyone? really?

sounds like a bit if a superiority complex

you dont just disagree. youre wrong because EVERYONE disagrees with you.

must be nice knowing "everyone"

ill just use you as a benchmark for truth from now on since you know everyone.

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #149 on: October 14, 2017, 10:52:19 AM »
The first time I watched Spaceballs I laughed my ass off. After repeated viewings it got old, and I realized how overrated it was. It still has some great gags, but it's not the be all end all of parodies. Same with Monty Python & the Holy Grail, but I still think that one is better.

there is something about not only spoofing sci fi but spoofing film making that makes me laugh every time.

i was never big on MP. i can recognize its cleverness though. never stuck with me.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2017, 10:52:54 AM »
I'm also going to have to disagree with you Doug.

The humor was what almost turned me off to Orville. I really didn't connect with it in the first episode or two. And the sci-fi of those two episodes was merely there to give humor, so you're right for those two episodes.

After that though? I got hooked because of the sci-fi element. The humor was finally toned down enough to not put me off, and they actually got some good humor, such as the practical joke gag.

Either way, it was the sci-fi that hooked me, and the humor that almost turned me off.

I haven't seen Discovery, but this show is definitely more Sci-fi, at least, than the last 3 Star Trek movies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #151 on: October 14, 2017, 01:00:53 PM »
I'm also going to have to disagree with you Doug.

The humor was what almost turned me off to Orville. I really didn't connect with it in the first episode or two. And the sci-fi of those two episodes was merely there to give humor, so you're right for those two episodes.

After that though? I got hooked because of the sci-fi element. The humor was finally toned down enough to not put me off, and they actually got some good humor, such as the practical joke gag.

Either way, it was the sci-fi that hooked me, and the humor that almost turned me off.

I haven't seen Discovery, but this show is definitely more Sci-fi, at least, than the last 3 Star Trek movies.

at the end of the day all that matters is that you enjoy it. im glad that you do.

last three trek movies imo were flimsy space opetas at best. i agree the last three trek werent very sci fi.

and even the series werent sci fi from end to end. ds9 has large stretches of episodes dealing mostly with religion in cultures not touhing on science at all. i dont view orville not being sci fi as a critique. i thoroughly enjoy the show.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #152 on: October 14, 2017, 01:39:03 PM »
Wait....you mean.....we can each enjoy the show, but for different reasons??!?

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #153 on: October 14, 2017, 01:42:04 PM »
 I'm honestly on the verge of calling this show not even a comedy.  I tuned in expecting to be underwhelmed by the show because of the way Seth usually focuses on humor.  But I've been completely shocked at how non-comedy this show is. As a matter fact, the reason why I love it is because it is not a comedy. Not really anyway. Not anything like any of Seth's other works.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #154 on: October 14, 2017, 01:43:03 PM »
 Let's put it this way. I consider galaxy quest to be more of a comedy then the Oreville
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #155 on: October 16, 2017, 01:55:51 AM »

If you think that, then you don't know scifi. Comedy aside, this show is very much in the vein of classic science fiction, which is why it's been well received by many Trek fans.

A lot of what makes Sci Fi interesting is about being original.   'I wouldn't even call The Orville a reimagining it's just a blatant carbon copy with simply the names changed. Warp drive? Ours is quantum drive. United Federation of Planets? Ours is the Planetary Union. You have Klingons? We have Krill (who look like the Jem'Hadar). We both have starships, shuttles, uniforms with insignias, corridors, bridges, captains' ready rooms, things that look like phasers and tricorders but might not be called those things, and aliens with prosthetic makeup.'  Even the storylines can be traced back to a TOS or TNG origin.

I understand people can find The Orville an entertaining slice of TV, but is it good, original Sci Fi?  Nah. 

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:26:18 AM by soupytwist »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #156 on: October 16, 2017, 02:09:53 AM »
A lot of what makes Sci Fi interesting is about being original.   I wouldn't even call The Orville a reimagining it's just a blatant carbon copy with simply the names changed. Warp drive? Ours is quantum drive. United Federation of Planets? Ours is the Planetary Union. You have Klingons? We have Krill (who look like the Jem'Hadar). We both have starships, shuttles, uniforms with insignias, corridors, bridges, captains' ready rooms, things that look like phasers and tricorders but might not be called those things, and aliens with prosthetic makeup.  Even the storylines can be traced back to a TOS or TNG origin.

I understand people can find The Orville an entertaining slice of TV, but is it good, original Sci Fi?  Nah. 
By those broad characteristics, there is not a single scifi show that is original, besides the first that included space ships and aliens. You know, there isn't a single original drama out there anymore because all of them have characters and some of those characters are at odds with other characters and there is some stuff happening. And everyone is wearing clothes for some reason. And there is no original war movie because everyone includes uniforms and guns and generals and even soldiers, etc.
The show is unapologetic about being a "spiritual" successor of TNG-era Trek. And while not amazing yet, it is still good sci fi. Does it use some nostalgia factor that STD has 0 of? Sure. It's what hooks you in to check it out, and from there on you decide whether or not to watch based on the stories and characters.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #157 on: October 16, 2017, 03:38:25 AM »
A lot of what makes Sci Fi interesting is about being original.   I wouldn't even call The Orville a reimagining it's just a blatant carbon copy with simply the names changed. Warp drive? Ours is quantum drive. United Federation of Planets? Ours is the Planetary Union. You have Klingons? We have Krill (who look like the Jem'Hadar). We both have starships, shuttles, uniforms with insignias, corridors, bridges, captains' ready rooms, things that look like phasers and tricorders but might not be called those things, and aliens with prosthetic makeup.  Even the storylines can be traced back to a TOS or TNG origin.

By those broad characteristics, there is not a single scifi show that is original, besides the first that included space ships and aliens. You know, there isn't a single original drama out there anymore because all of them have characters and some of those characters are at odds with other characters and there is some stuff happening. And everyone is wearing clothes for some reason. And there is no original war movie because everyone includes uniforms and guns and generals and even soldiers, etc.
The show is unapologetic about being a "spiritual" successor of TNG-era Trek. And while not amazing yet, it is still good sci fi. Does it use some nostalgia factor that STD has 0 of? Sure. It's what hooks you in to check it out, and from there on you decide whether or not to watch based on the stories and characters.

I'd say there is a difference between being influenced by something and ripping something off.  'Stranger Things' is a show not afraid to embrace it's influences (primarily Spielberg and King) yet it's still created something of it's own.   I find the Orville to much of a rip off - the only thing that differentiates it from ST universe is the humour, which most people agree is the weakest aspect.

It'll be interesting to see how Charlie Brooker tackles it with the first episode of the next Black Mirror series.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #158 on: October 16, 2017, 08:49:59 AM »
I certainly wouldn't go so far as to call it a ripoff, but it's clearly trying to be very ST-like. Which is good because we're seeing that a lot of us have a real desire to see new ST, which the owners are not interested in providing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: October 16, 2017, 09:05:19 AM »
I'd call it an homage, not a rip-off or parody. There's no doubt it's inspired heavily by Star Trek and the TNG era aesthetic, and it makes no attempt to hide that, but a lot of those elements has been commonly used in other shows too. Underneath that, it still has its own unique characters and ideas, and does a lot that Trek wouldn't do (well maybe now that they're running around dropping F bombs, but that's not real Trek anyway ;) )

The thing about this kind of classic style scifi is that underneath all of that surface level dressing, it's not about space ships and lasers and military ranks. And in that regard, I agree with Barto that it's good they're basically doing Star Trek's thing, because Star Trek sure hasn't done it in the entire time I've been a fan of the franchise, and it's something that's sorely missing from most modern "scifi".

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #160 on: October 16, 2017, 09:18:45 AM »
I agree with Barto that it's good they're basically doing Star Trek's thing, because Star Trek sure hasn't done it in the entire time I've been a fan of the franchise, and it's something that's sorely missing from most modern "scifi".

What do you class as this ST thing?   (genuinely interested, not asking as dick move).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: October 16, 2017, 09:40:00 AM »
I agree with Barto that it's good they're basically doing Star Trek's thing, because Star Trek sure hasn't done it in the entire time I've been a fan of the franchise, and it's something that's sorely missing from most modern "scifi".

What do you class as this ST thing?   (genuinely interested, not asking as dick move).

Exploration in general (I don't mean just randomly visiting other planets, as even Trek has done without that), using alien cultures to allegorically provide social commentary,
 and present ideas and make observations and question morality, and promoting a hopeful and optimistic view of the future for humanity (rather than the more common bleak dystopian future that litters modern scifi), where people make an effort to co-exist peacefully despite their differences.
Even through the comedy, The Orville has striven to do this in most of its episodes so far, and has satisfied me in the same way as Star Trek has.

I'm sure Barto can add his own take on what "ST-like" is for him, but in short that's what Star Trek is to me. Even when DS9 for example was challenging what a Star Trek show is, it still never lost context of those core ideas.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #162 on: October 16, 2017, 10:28:01 AM »

Exploration in general (I don't mean just randomly visiting other planets, as even Trek has done without that), using alien cultures to allegorically provide social commentary, and present ideas and make observations and question morality, and promoting a hopeful and optimistic view of the future for humanity (rather than the more common bleak dystopian future that litters modern scifi), where people make an effort to co-exist peacefully despite their differences.
Even through the comedy, The Orville has striven to do this in most of its episodes so far, and has satisfied me in the same way as Star Trek has.

To me, that was always the heart of what Star Trek was trying to do.  It is also in large part what sci-fi in general has always done.  It's not about how cool things will be in the future, the gadgets and tech and spaceships and aliens; those are all there because the setting happens to be some point in the future where we'll have things that we don't have now, and hopefully we can make plausible guesses as to what they are and what they'll look like.  What's important are the stories, what they say about people, both individual and as collectives.  What aspects of humanity will have evolved, and what will (sadly, sometimes) still be the same?

And the reason why most people don't consider The Orville a rip-off is because a rip-off is when you take someone else's work and try to present it as your own.  McFarlane has made no secret of the fact that this is basically ST:TNG but with different characters and different tone.  This is homage.  It is honoring the work that came before it, respectfully continuing that work, and possibly expanding beyond it.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #163 on: October 23, 2017, 09:26:43 AM »
I binged all of what's available yesterday evening. I've never seen the real Star Trek, but this show is hysterical.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #164 on: October 23, 2017, 12:04:07 PM »

Exploration in general (I don't mean just randomly visiting other planets, as even Trek has done without that), using alien cultures to allegorically provide social commentary,
 and present ideas and make observations and question morality, and promoting a hopeful and optimistic view of the future for humanity (rather than the more common bleak dystopian future that litters modern scifi), where people make an effort to co-exist peacefully despite their differences.

I'm sure Barto can add his own take on what "ST-like" is for him, but in short that's what Star Trek is to me. Even when DS9 for example was challenging what a Star Trek show is, it still never lost context of those core ideas.
I was actually waiting for you to provide an answer which I presumed would be better than my own. It was.

You mentioned the modern sci-fi=dystopia paradigm, and that's something Orville really has going for it. Theirs is a world I'd love to live in. Looks pretty good. From what I've seen of STD, it looks dreadful. Even JJ's universe seems pretty miserable, or at least supremely uninspiring. Looks just like today but with shinier gadgets. You go back to Roddenberry's universe and it was full of potential. That's a universe that looks a helluva lot better than our own. After Hours did a great bit on how awful GR's universe truly was, and they were absolutely correct in their observations, but that's almost solely because we see it through the eyes of the lifeless drones that man the Enterprise. Living in the TNG Federation equivalent of Colorado would probably be fantastic. The Union might be better. And that's an important component of ST. A hopeful and optimistic view of the future. STD seems about as wondrous and optimistic as Das Boot.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2017, 11:21:17 PM »
This week's episode felt like TOS + Black Mirror. Not the most original idea, but very enjoyable.
Continuing the Star Trek ideals, it looks like they also don't use currency.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2017, 03:01:41 PM »
Again, as with the episode with the gender change, they touched on an interesting topic but the exploration and resolution of it were quite shallow. I wish they dug a little deeper with more meaningful writing and more exploration of the culture instead of just basically portraying a whole country/planet as a Reddit-like site. At least they gave the second navigator some focus, him being in the show so far is totally pointless.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2017, 08:36:46 PM »
Well, they fleshed him out a bit, and it turns out that he really is kind of a shallow, self-centered dick.  So good and bad.

I guess it's inevitable that most episodes will resemble old Trek episodes (from any of the series) in some way, but I guess I wasn't thinking it would be so easy to watch an episode of The Orville and go "the story is mostly <this episode> but with a twist similar to <some other episode>".

What's interesting, and oddly surprising, is that different people are naming different Trek episodes.  I thought immediately of the TNG episode where I think Wesley chases a volleyball into the bushes, and it turns out that it's a capital offense to damage public shrubbery or something.  Picard and Co flip off the Prime Directive and bust him out of there.  The setup was similar here, but the resolution was different.  So that was good too, I guess.

The social commentary was really heavy-handed this week, but I guess that's gonna be the norm, too.  Mabye the honeymoon's over already.  I wasn't really thrilled with this episode.  The formula is starting to become pretty obvious.  We need something worthy of a good million or so upvotes, and soon, or things will get bad.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2017, 09:17:27 PM »
I hated the episode from beginning to end. It was a message shoved down the throat with no subtlety, and the whole setup of the episode is just ludicrous. It combined The Voyage Home "we're going to contemporary Earth so the budget stays low" with TNG's "Justice" of Wesley being condemned to death over a silly act. Maybe the target audience for the episode were teenagers absorbed by social media, but to me it felt like watching one of those PSAs where everything is so obvious and distorted that any kind of impact gets lost.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2017, 10:01:58 PM »
Yeah, basically.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2017, 07:06:55 AM »
I've never old Trek episodes so couldn't draw any such comparisons, but I was put off by how the upvote idea was SO similar to a Black Mirror episode, right down to shops not serving anyone with a too-low score.

EDIT: That said, although it's incredibly on the nose (painfully so at times) the ideas are still good and extremely relevant.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 07:31:01 AM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #171 on: October 28, 2017, 07:59:45 AM »
Lots of people on previously.tv saying that Black Mirror already did this episode.  Good thing I don't watch that show.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2017, 08:08:04 AM »
I've never old Trek episodes so couldn't draw any such comparisons, but I was put off by how the upvote idea was SO similar to a Black Mirror episode, right down to shops not serving anyone with a too-low score.

EDIT: That said, although it's incredibly on the nose (painfully so at times) the ideas are still good and extremely relevant.

Although the premise was very similar to Nosedive, the message was kinda different. Although the message was sorta similar to other episodes of Black Mirror anyway, since that's their wheelhouse.
It did bother me a bit for the entire episode that the setup was so similar, but in the end, I still enjoyed the episode in its own right, and it included more parody of modern society, since it's also a comedy.

Lots of people on previously.tv saying that Black Mirror already did this episode.  Good thing I don't watch that show.

Orbert, not watching Black Mirror is never a good thing! :lol Get on that shit now. The episode in question is the first of the Netflix bunch. And the upcoming episodes will include what appears to be a clear TOS parody episode, which I'm looking forward to.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2017, 08:57:41 AM »
I tried getting into BM but after the first 3 episodes I thought it was ridiculously bad so I stopped. In the future, I might just browse through a "Best of" episodes and catch those but I wouldn't waste my time with entire seasons of it. That's one of the downsides of anthology series - a simple streak of mediocre episodes can stand in the way of a lot of people getting into it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2017, 10:29:03 AM »
I'm enjoying The Orville and I'm not even a fan of Star Trek. Some of the episodes remind me of Sliders, but I'm sure Star Trek was an influence to that show as well.