Author Topic: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.  (Read 48636 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2017, 06:02:54 PM »
Yes, but obviously The Orville is not afraid to show where it's values came from. I'm fine with that.  It's everything the old Trekies are asking for.

I have no idea why but I thought this was the Star Trek thread when I replied haha. I was like "A Vulcan covering her ears isn't a not to Trek, it's just what they do"

My bad. I'll just slowwwwly back out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2017, 06:04:27 PM »
Still watching episode 4.   Just saw the cameo.   I  :rollin ed...

BRILLIANT!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2017, 06:05:49 PM »
Yes, but obviously The Orville is not afraid to show where it's values came from. I'm fine with that.  It's everything the old Trekies are asking for.

I have no idea why but I thought this was the Star Trek thread when I replied haha. I was like "A Vulcan covering her ears isn't a not to Trek, it's just what they do"

:lol   Well the lines are blurred. LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2017, 06:06:54 PM »

I have no idea why but I thought this was the Star Trek thread when I replied haha. I was like "A Vulcan covering her ears isn't a nod to Trek, it's just what they do"

:lol   Well the lines are blurred. LOL
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2017, 09:50:21 PM »
Well episode 4 was truly excellent. I’m sold.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2017, 11:32:46 PM »
I like the ode to the Star Trek episode where Spock had to hide his ears in Alara is wearing handkerchief to cover her ears.

Yes, I immediately thought the same thing. :metal
The cameo at the end was a pleasant surprise too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2017, 10:15:10 AM »
Huh, didn't recognize him.

Excellent episode, though. That's two back to back that did ST every bit as well as TNG or TOS. In fact, there are plenty of plot points lifted straight out of the older series (which is fine). E4 was straight up For the World is Hollow. . ., with specific elements of half a dozen other episodes worked in. First Contact and Who Watches the Watchers certainly factored into it.

It was definitely a little more violent than you normally expect from ST. Not in a big space battle sort of way, but the guy being beaten by the mob was fairly stark. The treatment of the two gals was also a little more brutal than typical TNG stuff. We've already seen drug and alcohol stuff, as well as language that'd never be used in ST. Seems Seth is pretty willing to take advantage of being out from under the confines of Paramount/Roddenberry.

Shows definitely picking up in a big way. I hope they're able to keep up with it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2017, 12:49:28 PM »
So Barto, The Druyan God you saw on the screen of the ship at the end "has a very particular set of skills" if you get the movie refrence.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2017, 05:05:14 PM »
Huh, didn't recognize him.

Excellent episode, though. That's two back to back that did ST every bit as well as TNG or TOS. In fact, there are plenty of plot points lifted straight out of the older series (which is fine). E4 was straight up For the World is Hollow. . ., with specific elements of half a dozen other episodes worked in. First Contact and Who Watches the Watchers certainly factored into it.

It was definitely a little more violent than you normally expect from ST. Not in a big space battle sort of way, but the guy being beaten by the mob was fairly stark. The treatment of the two gals was also a little more brutal than typical TNG stuff. We've already seen drug and alcohol stuff, as well as language that'd never be used in ST. Seems Seth is pretty willing to take advantage of being out from under the confines of Paramount/Roddenberry.

Shows definitely picking up in a big way. I hope they're able to keep up with it.

Definitely covered a lot of common scifi/Trek themes, but as usual, a very relevant and topical story, feeling very inspired by Trump/global warming.
I think they wanted to show that the chicks were as capable and badass as the dudes, which they've achieved. Totally missed opportunity to pass the bechdel test this week though. :lol

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2017, 02:11:36 AM »
Are we still at the stage where sci-fi shows are stuck making episodes just to show us all filthy males how badass women can actually be? I mean... come on, 99.9% of the people watching are on the same page, you do nothing by doing that at this point. And you won't make as badass of a character as Ripley.

I did enjoy the episode overall but it felt a bit too short. When they discovered the ship and seeing how old it was I was so hyped up to see something more, not a bunch of humans without explaining anything about where they come from and so on. It felt a bit like a Stargate Universe episode - starts off on a great premise to fall short to petty drama. And the actors they got for the main roles felt wasted.

What I enjoyed most about it was the fact that they were not afraid to just drop 99% of the comedy (with the exception of the, tbh, quite unfunny one-liners from McFarlane) and try to do a more serious episode. This is why I already love this show - one day you'll get a totally silly plot on the other you might be faced with something akin to The Inner Light.

One question to more dedicated Trekkies than me - I know that all ST episodes were quite pushy in terms of progressive goals (as tainted as that term is nowadays) but I always had the impression that they did it in a way that shows us how humanity has already gotten past such issues and that we can succeed this way. Recently all tv seems to be a direct mirror to our world and just preaching how things should be. This is a huge drawback imo when you try to make a show depicting a better world - mirroring social and political problems that are current to our time makes the whole fictional world they are in shallow and fake. Am I onto something or kind of full of shit?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2017, 10:12:53 AM »

One question to more dedicated Trekkies than me - I know that all ST episodes were quite pushy in terms of progressive goals (as tainted as that term is nowadays) but I always had the impression that they did it in a way that shows us how humanity has already gotten past such issues and that we can succeed this way. Recently all tv seems to be a direct mirror to our world and just preaching how things should be. This is a huge drawback imo when you try to make a show depicting a better world - mirroring social and political problems that are current to our time makes the whole fictional world they are in shallow and fake. Am I onto something or kind of full of shit?
Not sure I follow. If humanity has already gotten past such issues and that we can succeed this way means that ST's future humanity had gotten past their problems then you're correct. They were still pretty up front that we in the modern times are scum. TOS was a little preachy and TNG was condescending in its arrogance. As it applies to ORV I haven't seen any indications that they're still mirroring us and all of our flaws. The characters are certainly flawed, but society in general seems to be more enlightened.

I suppose it's also the case that the progressive goals that ST has always been on about have come a tremendous way since the last incarnation of ST. When Roddenberry was showing racial integration it was a bid deal. When Orville shows guys as a couple, bridge officers drinking tequila and eating hash brownies, and tough, competent women, it seems pretty normal and hence reflective of our time.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2017, 10:26:23 AM »
Can't speak for TOS as I can't stand through all the dated garbage to get to the good episodes but I enjoyed TNG even though it was condescending. It showed humanity that had almost entirely moved past what we fight about in our times and it served a purpose to, in a way, show how our future generations might look at us or how we would compare to them. As far as I know, it didn't have too many moments that could directly relate to current time situations like for example how writers/actors at STD openly talk about how something is Trump-inspired. If you make episodes that are so related to the current events it doesn't seem to be a good way to write stories that stand the test of time.
In Star Trek I don't recall a woman doing something badass and every male around be like "Daymn, women are tough" and act all impressed or surprised. Things felt natural and as they should be, not so much in your face as a lot of modern day television is. Gay couples or gender switching species in TNG/DS9, black bridge officer in TOS, female/black captain in Voyager/DS9 - what of it? Completely normal, no big deal about it. I guess what I"m trying to say is that if you mirror current events and issues you are bound to create a lot of episodes that are the equivalent of comedians who made their name by impersonating George Bush.

As it relates to The Orville, that talk between the N1 and that super strong chick felt kind of flat. Same for the premise of the whole transgender thing last episode. While I appreciate that they went with the rational approach of the person must choose and we should not force or encourage young kids transitioning, it was followed by very weak court session writing on both sides of the argument.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:35:00 AM by abydos »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2017, 10:42:21 AM »
In Star Trek I don't recall a woman doing something badass and every male around be like "Daymn, women are tough" and act all impressed or surprised.
Has that been happening in ORV? Admittedly I'm really bad at picking up allegory and subtle messages.

What I've noticed is that when TNG/VOY/DS9 had all of the things you mention it wasn't a big deal to them, but it was to us. When you see these things nowadays it's no big deal to anybody.

Since I haven't bothered with STD I can't speak of anything Trump inspired. I know that the earlier series have certainly done some stories that paralleled the modern era, if perhaps a little ahead of its time. Nationalism and terrorism certainly factored into their stories. Xenophobia, even on Earth. Stories about drug addiction. Right to die and euthanasia. Drumhead and Homefront/Paradise Lost really couldn't be anymore allegorical.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2017, 10:45:14 AM »
That's Seth's writing style.  Look at "A Million Ways To Die In The West".  A lot of the main characters talk with today's pop references and not of the time of the 1800's.  It's for comedic purpose.  That's all I think he's doing here.  You are looking to much into this.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2017, 10:53:43 AM »
Has that been happening in ORV? Admittedly I'm really bad at picking up allegory and subtle messages.
Hasn't been happening a lot as far as I know but for instance the age old "men are "afraid" of strong women" was briefly touched upon.
What I've noticed is that when TNG/VOY/DS9 had all of the things you mention it wasn't a big deal to them, but it was to us. When you see these things nowadays it's no big deal to anybody.
Exactly, this is what I meant (although even when I watched some of them in the 90s and binged all of ST in the early 2000s it wasn't a big deal to me as well). Often in the last few years especially this hasn't been the case from all genres of TV/movies and I'd hate to see something like this pop up in The Orville or STD.
Oh well, back to playing video games :D

Offline jammindude

« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2017, 11:00:57 PM »
This was was still really good.  Not quite the level of the first few, but they can't all be zingers.

And the previews for next week look really amazing.

I **REALLY** like this show.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2017, 11:17:02 PM »
This wasn't as good as the last two, but as good as the first two. Not a bad episode yet imo. I really hope it gets more seasons.
My only criticism is that if closing the wormhole at the end erases Pria, shouldn't it have caused a paradox, and killed them all again? If they'd closed the wormhole and Pria remained, it would have worked fine.

Online Adami

« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2017, 11:00:04 PM »
This wasn't as good as the last two, but as good as the first two. Not a bad episode yet imo. I really hope it gets more seasons.
My only criticism is that if closing the wormhole at the end erases Pria, shouldn't it have caused a paradox, and killed them all again? If they'd closed the wormhole and Pria remained, it would have worked fine.

Yea, they screwed up time travel the same way just about every other show does (except Continuum), so I've just come to expect that specific kind of screw up and not be bothered by it.

Solid episode! The humor finally felt.......I dunno........better? The practical joke thing was great, I thought.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2017, 11:49:49 PM »

Yea, they screwed up time travel the same way just about every other show does (except Continuum), so I've just come to expect that specific kind of screw up and not be bothered by it.

I'm used to it, especially from US scifi (see Timeless, Time After Time, two recent time travel shows with no actual concept of time travel), it's just a little disappointing. How can I look forward to another time travel full of cool causality loops when they couldn't do it here?!
I like their take on the robot/AI thing. The Trek cliche is that every AI aspires to be human and learn to understand humanity. Then The Orville has an android who knows full well that he's superior to humans, and in a misunderstanding of such a weird concept like humour, chops a guy's whole leg off. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2017, 04:35:00 AM »
Also funny to see Malloy who is did not laugh at the practical joke on his leg. I was laughing at him being upset.

Anybody know the special guest? I'm surprised none of you have said anything.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2017, 05:00:56 AM »
It was heavily advertised beforehand, so it wasn't a surprise or particularly noteworthy beyond that.

Unless someone guest starred as a background technician and I missed it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2017, 05:06:30 AM »
I've been away so I did not know it was advertised. The one thing I find weird is the actress thst plays the doctor.   She's a high profile character actress but she's barely visible in this show.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2017, 05:15:34 AM »
I follow The Orville and Seth MacFarlane on twitter, and it was mention a lot for the entire week beforehand. It wasn't like Liam Neeson's unexpected cameo, which as far as I know was left as a complete surprise until it aired.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2017, 03:24:59 PM »
I follow The Orville and Seth MacFarlane on twitter, and it was mention a lot for the entire week beforehand. It wasn't like Liam Neeson's unexpected cameo, which as far as I know was left as a complete surprise until it aired.

We're talking about Charlize Theron, right?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2017, 03:36:32 PM »
Good episode. Not great, bot bad. The thing with the leg is the hardest I've laughed in ages, though. While a lot of SM's jokes fall flat, the dude can occasionally belt one way out of the park.
E.F. Benson

Offline masterthes

« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2017, 10:57:59 AM »
I'm a fan. Can't wait to see what happens this week

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2017, 11:02:14 PM »
Finally got caught up.  We've been recording The Orville as well as a number of other shows, as usual, and the past couple weeks, whenever I ask the wife if it's time for The Orville, she's in the mood for something else.  I finally told her to just level with me; if she doesn't want to watch the show, I won't be offended or anything, I just want to know.  So I can watch the damned episodes that are backing up.  She admitted that it's just not her bag.  She really, really doesn't like Seth McFarlane.  Fair enough.

So I watched episodes 4 and 5 pretty much in a row.  The huge bioship, and the hot time traveller.  "Can you open this jar of pickles" is such an awkward phrase, and that's gonna be a thing now?  Two episodes in a row.  Maybe next time, someone will say something about it, point out how stupid it sounds when he uses it so often.  That would be meta, and funny.

Another episode apparently inspired by a TNG episode (Matt Frewer the time traveller) even down to the traveller being a "collector" of sorts, and getting rich off of the acquisitions.  But different enough to work, I guess.

Still digging it.

Offline TL

« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2017, 10:58:56 AM »
I've really been enjoying this show so far. Pleasantly surprised to see the balance they're going for between comedy and actual sci-fi.
They seem to be finding their footing pretty well, and the main cast is already decently established.

Honestly, in some ways this feels more like Star Trek to me than Discovery does, especially the TNG/DS9/VOY era.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2017, 11:32:01 PM »
A good episode giving some backstory to the so far generic bad guys, the Krill. I liked how there was the moral dilemma of killing the Krill crew to save the humans, and that they didn't make it entirely black and white.
The humour got a bit much when they were supposed to be undercover, but at least the first officer called them out for screwing around at the start. "Bortus eats everything" was a funny scene though, and Malloy's leg could/should be a running gag.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2017, 09:31:40 PM »
Yeah, Chris and Devon were a bit ridiculous.  This is actually the first time it really didn't work for me.  The primary complaint of many people is that the show doesn't know whether it wants to be serious or satire or what.  I'm fine with any combination of the above, as long as it's entertaining.  Chris and Devon would be dead now, as well as everyone down on that planet they were trying to save, and I had some trouble getting past that.

I mean, if the tactical officer jumps up and yells "Boom, bitch!" after blowing away an enemy ship in a space dogfight, I'm fine with that.  I'm fine if the acting captain downs a shot of tequila, or the resident cybernetic guy cutting off my best friend's leg.  It'll get better.  But literally bumbling through the episode like idiots kinda took me out of the show for a minute.

But whatever, it was still fun, still entertaining, and ultimately carried a message.  Pretty heavy handedly, actually.  Another episode that didn't give us the easy happy ending.  Those lunatics trying to kill you?  They happen to be just as sure that they're right as you are that they're pure evil.  And they have nukes, so maybe you might want to try a little harder to be friends with them.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2017, 09:32:57 PM »
I agree the names went a little too far I did love the ending that the teacher had so much venom at the end. I really like that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2017, 09:49:37 PM »
I mean, if the tactical officer jumps up and yells "Boom, bitch!" after blowing away an enemy ship in a space dogfight, I'm fine with that.  I'm fine if the acting captain downs a shot of tequila, or the resident cybernetic guy cutting off my best friend's leg.  It'll get better.  But literally bumbling through the episode like idiots kinda took me out of the show for a minute.

Yeah. It's just one of those things where you have to accept that the other side is a little more oblivious to it than the viewer, but it does take you out of it a little bit.
Also, I just realized this is the first episode so far not written by MacFarlane. The writer of this episode actually wrote a few episodes of Enterprise, along with the Star Trek episode of Futurama. How very appropriate.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2017, 10:16:17 PM »
Yeah, Chris and Devon were a bit ridiculous.  This is actually the first time it really didn't work for me.  The primary complaint of many people is that the show doesn't know whether it wants to be serious or satire or what.  I'm fine with any combination of the above, as long as it's entertaining.  Chris and Devon would be dead now, as well as everyone down on that planet they were trying to save, and I had some trouble getting past that.

But whatever, it was still fun, still entertaining, and ultimately carried a message.  Pretty heavy handedly, actually.  Another episode that didn't give us the easy happy ending.  Those lunatics trying to kill you?  They happen to be just as sure that they're right as you are that they're pure evil.  And they have nukes, so maybe you might want to try a little harder to be friends with them.

It's a lighthearted sci fi show with serious moments. Can those not still exist? Why must there be one or the other?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2017, 10:17:33 PM »
Damn. Really? That's very cool.   Thank you Blob for having the time to look that up for me you slacker.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2017, 11:17:39 PM »
I think episode for was my only "this is just OK" episode.   But I want to point out that we're 6 episodes into the first season, and we haven't had a single show that I would consider "a dud" yet.   That's pretty impressive. 

I literally put this show on par with ToS.