Author Topic: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.  (Read 48631 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2017, 06:58:01 AM »
Ok, then please stop watching it, and leave the rest of us to enjoy it. Thanks. :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:09:08 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2017, 08:12:54 AM »
Why oh deer to Jonathan Frakes?  he's actually a very good director.
My thought, as well. Tom Paris is also directing one, and he was also quite good directing. Personally, I think it's interesting that they're getting plenty of ST guys, while the trainwreck that is STD has none of the original talent involved at all. Everybody they brought in rage-quit or got fired.

Speaking of Worf, Michael Dorn got offered some ridiculously low sum to guest on the show but turned it down. Imagine how bad the amount must have been for Michael Dorn to turn it down. :lol
I like that The Orville is picking up a lot of these Trek people. It certainly feels a lot more authentic Trek than STD is. I actually ended up muting the Star Trek account on Twitter because I couldn't take them trying to pass off that trainwreck as real Trek. :lol
That was STD. He was to play one of Worf's ancestors, yet again. He was offered less than 1% of his last ST contract. I suppose it could have happened with ORV, but what you described did happen with STD.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2017, 08:17:42 AM »
Why oh deer to Jonathan Frakes?  he's actually a very good director.
My thought, as well. Tom Paris is also directing one, and he was also quite good directing. Personally, I think it's interesting that they're getting plenty of ST guys, while the trainwreck that is STD has none of the original talent involved at all. Everybody they brought in rage-quit or got fired.

Speaking of Worf, Michael Dorn got offered some ridiculously low sum to guest on the show but turned it down. Imagine how bad the amount must have been for Michael Dorn to turn it down. :lol
I like that The Orville is picking up a lot of these Trek people. It certainly feels a lot more authentic Trek than STD is. I actually ended up muting the Star Trek account on Twitter because I couldn't take them trying to pass off that trainwreck as real Trek. :lol
That was STD. He was to play one of Worf's ancestors, yet again. He was offered less than 1% of his last ST contract. I suppose it could have happened with ORV, but what you described did happen with STD.

Yeah, I meant STD. Sorry for the vagueness there. :tup

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2017, 09:25:44 AM »
Ok, then please stop watching it, and leave the rest of us to enjoy it. Thanks. :)

Ha!  Fair comment.  Just reread my last post and yeah I sound like ranting dickhead. Sorry bout that.

I want to like the show, but it isn't for me.  I'm glad it's found an audience who do enjoy it though. 

Peace!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2017, 12:02:42 PM »
Shows like this, and movies as well, often have trouble finding an audience.  Lots of people want it to be easily categorized as a drama, or a comedy, or whatever.  Sure, dramas usually have lighter moments to break things up, and comedies often have serious moments, but usually it's rather obvious the genre that they're going for.

The Orville is confounding a lot of people because it doesn't fall clearly into a given genre.  Those who expected and wanted outright comedy are disappointed that it's not wall-to-wall laughs.  I don't think anyone expected "heavy sci-fi" but the production values and overall look seem to imply a more serious show, and the lighter tone runs counter to that.

Someone at previously.tv said it's like they tried to redo The Next Generation, only with "real people", not 24th century boring perfect people with no flaws and no personality.  Yes, that's exactly what this is.  Helmsman has no trouble telling the rest of the bridge crew that the new XO is a total bitch.  Tactical guy just wants to be able to drink soda on the bridge.  The pilot episode made a point that there are 3000 ships in the fleet, and they have to staff them all.  Somebody at the Academy finished 399th in their class, but still earned their commission.  They're not going to be assigned to the flagship; they're going to some low-level exploratory vessel like The Orville.

And that's what I like about this show.  Sci-fi to me is its own genre, transcending drama or comedy or whatever.  The XO ordered a "cannabis edible" from the replicator, and the Security Officer ordered tequila while she was the acting Captain.  No, you'd never see that on Star Trek, but it is something that real people might do.  I like that, not because it's funny, or not funny, or realistic, or not, but because it's different from what we've seen before.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2017, 12:05:25 PM »
My issues with the show (and I like it for the most part) have nothing to do with being able to categorize it. It's that it really just feels bland for the most part. To link it to your argument, when you try to do too many things, you end up not doing any of them to a satisfactory level. If the comedy isn't funny, and the sci-fi isn't thought provoking, then you're just kind of left with the American cheese of TV.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2017, 12:11:25 PM »
My issues with the show (and I like it for the most part) have nothing to do with being able to categorize it. It's that it really just feels bland for the most part. To link it to your argument, when you try to do too many things, you end up not doing any of them to a satisfactory level. If the comedy isn't funny, and the sci-fi isn't thought provoking, then you're just kind of left with the American cheese of TV.
But you're not 100,000,000 Americans 24-36. We're all Star Trek guys here, so we have a different take on the series. John Q. Public and Harold S. Critic do want that categorization. And in the end I think that's what'll kill it. The show itself will get better, but it won't find the categorization that'll keep the masses tuning in, and I don't think it'll get so much better that they start to love it despite it being an oddball.

I've always assumed it'd be one and done. If it does better then great. I'm really more interested in it outperforming STD so that CBS will actually see that Sci-Fi works and brand recognition by itself doesn't.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2017, 12:13:56 PM »
Well to be fair, I am far far more important than all other human beings on earth.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2017, 12:36:14 PM »
Well to be fair, I am far far more important than all other human beings on earth.

I knew Vulcans existed and now I have the proof.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2017, 01:42:01 PM »
It definitely wasn't as good as I had hoped but it's just 2 episodes in. I think there is room for growth if given the chance, rarely a scifi show gets off very well from the get go. It has the potential to do both the comedy and the scifi very well.
To people who quit after 2 episodes there's only thing thing I can say to them - lol.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2017, 02:41:12 PM »
My issues with the show (and I like it for the most part) have nothing to do with being able to categorize it. It's that it really just feels bland for the most part.

Fair enough.  It is on the bland side.  Everything looks all nice and clean, the characters are mostly well behaved, and things move slowly overall.  I guess I'm used to sci-fi taking its time, so the pacing doesn't bother me, though I can see why it would bother a lot of people.  It's not exactly a thrill ride or a laugh per minute.  And Seth is known for his writing and voicework, but isn't exactly Patrick Stewart or William Shatner.  I think a better actor would bring more... something... to the role, which would help a lot.

But as I said, for right now I'm just enjoying a different take on the future, like what if our technology continued to evolve, but we as people stayed the same.  I'd probably be in my quarters ordering edibles from the replicator, then later you might find me on the holodeck running "tactical simulations" with the XO and Security Officer.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2017, 05:25:17 PM »
Shows like this, and movies as well, often have trouble finding an audience.  Lots of people want it to be easily categorized as a drama, or a comedy, or whatever.  Sure, dramas usually have lighter moments to break things up, and comedies often have serious moments, but usually it's rather obvious the genre that they're going for.

The Orville is confounding a lot of people because it doesn't fall clearly into a given genre.  Those who expected and wanted outright comedy are disappointed that it's not wall-to-wall laughs.  I don't think anyone expected "heavy sci-fi" but the production values and overall look seem to imply a more serious show, and the lighter tone runs counter to that.

Someone at previously.tv said it's like they tried to redo The Next Generation, only with "real people", not 24th century boring perfect people with no flaws and no personality.  Yes, that's exactly what this is.  Helmsman has no trouble telling the rest of the bridge crew that the new XO is a total bitch.  Tactical guy just wants to be able to drink soda on the bridge.  The pilot episode made a point that there are 3000 ships in the fleet, and they have to staff them all.  Somebody at the Academy finished 399th in their class, but still earned their commission.  They're not going to be assigned to the flagship; they're going to some low-level exploratory vessel like The Orville.

And that's what I like about this show.  Sci-fi to me is its own genre, transcending drama or comedy or whatever.  The XO ordered a "cannabis edible" from the replicator, and the Security Officer ordered tequila while she was the acting Captain.  No, you'd never see that on Star Trek, but it is something that real people might do.  I like that, not because it's funny, or not funny, or realistic, or not, but because it's different from what we've seen before.

THIS POST NAILS IT

This is exactly why I've fallen in love with this show out of the gate.  I don't care what John Q Public thinks.   It's these exact qualities that (to me) actually make it a refreshing an original show.   Not the writing per se...but just the mood, and the way it comes across. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2017, 10:51:54 PM »
This show just keeps getting better.   

You know how Galaxy Quest sometimes gets included in lists of Star Trek movies?  They need to start giving the same nod to The Orville.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2017, 10:54:34 PM »
This show just keeps getting better.   

You know how Galaxy Quest sometimes gets included in lists of Star Trek movies?  They need to start giving the same nod to The Orville.

Ehhhhhhh. Come on man. A fun show is a fun show, and it's very Star Trek esque, but at no point will I include this or Galaxy Quest in the same league as Star Trek.

Then again, I don't include ST:09 and onward as Star Trek either.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2017, 12:12:09 AM »
I think the latest episode showed that they can manage serious scifi without the humour getting in the way. I've really enjoyed every episode so far, both for the comedy and the scifi, and I'm picky on both factors. I would put the first three episodes of The Orville up against the first three episodes of any Trek series. What would TNG's legacy be if it was canceled after one or even two seasons?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:20:18 AM by BlobVanDam »

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2017, 12:45:59 AM »
This is what I don't get about people and scifi currently. What would TNG, DS9, Babylon 5, SG-1, Farscape even Firefly be like if it only got a few episodes up to a season before they got canceled? Even one of the more modern shows like Fringe didn't get their shit together until mid season 2.

Current shows like Dark Matter and Killjoys also had the same rough start and while Killjoys is picking up speed, DM is still mostly doing weekly episodes and just now starting to hint at a larger picture.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2017, 09:23:28 AM »
I didn't enjoy the third episode as much, but to be fair I was very tired when I watched it. I'm usually in bed by 9pm throughout the week, and with them moving it to Thursday nights I'm going to struggle a little. I need to get a dvr
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2017, 05:37:47 PM »
I didn't enjoy the third episode as much, but to be fair I was very tired when I watched it. I'm usually in bed by 9pm throughout the week, and with them moving it to Thursday nights I'm going to struggle a little. I need to get a dvr

It is a must.  All the shows I love are later in the evening.  So now I watch them when I want and an hour show finished in 42 minutes.

The one downfall about that is a running joke my family had watching TNG.  Mom, Dad, brother and girlfriend would watch it on the premier date.  The joke was the resolution to the story line always ends at the :52 mark.  No joke.  That and my Dad telling my girlfriend at the time she had "Klingon" toes. Her second toe was the longest. The longest toes in our family was the big toe. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2017, 09:00:14 PM »
So I'm watching the third episode and while I still enjoy it and will continue watching, I did find a problem.

Redundancy. You have two emotionless dudes. The captain and his ex-wife are really similar in character as well, and then you have two almost identical (in character) smart alec dudes in the front. The only ones so far without redundancy are the somewhat cute super strong chick, who has great potential, and the obviously Star Trek doctor who is a combination of Bones and Pulaski.

I think the show could really be great if they took way more chances with both the sci-fi and the humor. Specifically the humor.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2017, 11:11:54 PM »
I think some of that is the fact they haven't had time to explore all of the characters well yet. The black guy hasn't been given a lot to do yet besides being pals with the other guys, and the robot still hasn't had a lot of lines yet. Everyone else I'm content with so far. With an ensemble cast, it's going to take time before they all develop and stand out.
Heck, after 7 seasons, 3/4 of the Voyager crew was still totally redundant. :neverusethis: And 100% of the Enterprise cast was "the emotionless one". :neverusethis:

Online Adami

« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2017, 11:18:01 PM »
Blob, you are officially to The Orville, what Kotowboy is to Star Trek Into Darkness.

LET THAT SINK IN!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2017, 11:19:06 PM »
:lol To be fair, The Orville is more defendable than Into Darkness.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2017, 01:23:13 PM »
I am genuinely enjoying Orville. More than I thought it would. As people said.. it's basically TNG with Realistic characters.

Also, I am glad it's not just live action Family Guy in Space.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2017, 02:57:23 PM »
Yeah I'm digging it so far too, and I enjoyed seeing a more emotional side to Bortus this week.

I also just worked out that Klyden is Cutty/Tyreese/Tobias Church/Fred Johnson. I swear Chad Coleman is in everything these days. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2017, 12:06:18 AM »
I knew it was him beforehand, then completely forgot for the entire duration of the episode, then got reminded directly afterwards. :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2017, 09:32:50 PM »
Damn, that was like serious sci-fi or something.  At first, I was taken aback by the blatant, obvious transgender analogy, and then again when I realized that it's not an analogy at all, but actually about transgender, with the twist that the species/culture is monosexual (and thus homosexual... I think?)  Did they actually establish an all-male species just so that they hit us with this?  Okay maybe not just so they could do this, but damn, third episode they're diving into the actual not-fucking-around social commentary?  Ballsy.

It ended the way it had to, with the point being made, even if it didn't result in immediate change.  Seeds were planted, change takes time, and it doesn't happen all at once, or as the result of a single incident.  Will this be one of many for this species?  We don't know.

Surprisingly serious outing, and as I said, it caught me off guard going deep in only the third episode, but I liked it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2017, 12:42:24 AM »
I'm glad they didn't wimp out on the ending and go with the narrow and idealistic win for the human perspective. I liked the conflict in this episode and how it wasn't all wrapped up neatly.
I think they were wise to wait until the third episode before doing this kind of story. The first two episodes were much more light and fun, but this episode focused more on a classic scifi story and used the humour more sparingly. I've seen Star Trek fans all over the internet commenting very positively on this one.

Online Adami

« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2017, 12:58:27 AM »
Yea, I was really impressed with the 3rd one. Less frat boy jokes, more stuff like this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2017, 09:40:11 PM »
Four episodes in and I'm sold.  Given time we might get an "Inner Light" or other classic episode.  We'll probably get a "Sub Rosa" too, but that's more than a fair trade.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2017, 12:00:09 AM »
Another classic Trekky episode, with clear social commentary, and again the humour took a backseat to the story.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:08:08 AM by BlobVanDam »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2017, 08:11:50 AM »
Another classic Trekky episode, with clear social commentary, and again the humour took a backseat to the story.
Haven't seen it yet, but I was thinking that this could be a pretty simple way to solve their "genre" problem. Star Trek did comedy episodes every season, sometimes to great success. As long as they're willing to shelve the in your face humor for some episodes they can put it on display in others. And they can still work in specific scenes for the lulz when time permits. The Bortus's daughter episode was as serious as they've gotten, yet they still had el bandito challenging them to a dance off which really cracked me up. I think they might be onto something here.

And that's twice the drunken fuckup's holograms have cracked me up. Pretty good gag they've got working there.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2017, 08:22:47 AM »
Haven't seen it yet, but I was thinking that this could be a pretty simple way to solve their "genre" problem. Star Trek did comedy episodes every season, sometimes to great success. As long as they're willing to shelve the in your face humor for some episodes they can put it on display in others. And they can still work in specific scenes for the lulz when time permits. The Bortus's daughter episode was as serious as they've gotten, yet they still had el bandito challenging them to a dance off which really cracked me up. I think they might be onto something here.

And that's twice the drunken fuckup's holograms have cracked me up. Pretty good gag they've got working there.

4th episode was roughly the same balance as the 3rd I think, and the same kind of Trekky allegory. I'm sure it will vary from episode to episode, but I think the first two were probably more humour biased than the average to grab the general audience, whereas the Trekky audience seems to be enjoying the stuff more like the third episode, which I'm guessing is more representative of the average. I've enjoyed it all, so I'm happy for some variety.
I can't wait to see this kind of crew doing more holodeck stuff, because it will be a lot more relatable than the stuffy Trek ones. I'd love to see an Orville holodeck malfunction ep. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2017, 05:21:07 PM »
 I like the ode to the Star Trek episode where Spock had to hide his ears in Alara is wearing handkerchief to cover her ears.

Online Adami

« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2017, 05:36:11 PM »
I like the ode to the Star Trek episode where Spock had to hide his ears in Alara is wearing handkerchief to cover her ears.

I think every Vulcan has an episode where they had to hide their ears.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2017, 05:53:24 PM »
Yes, but obviously The Orville is not afraid to show where it's values came from. I'm fine with that.  It's everything the old Trekies are asking for.