Author Topic: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.  (Read 48620 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2017, 08:05:26 AM »
Unless I really don't like what I see, then I normally give shows a bit of time - at least a full season usually.

Yea, I can see that. I feel like there have been shows that I gave up on early on, but I don't remember which ones. They must have been really bad though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2017, 08:15:27 AM »
When a show starts, I judge it based on potential as much as anything else. I don't mind so much if the first episode isn't amazing if the overall premise and casting are good. But if it's irredeemably bad in some way, I won't bother.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »
Unless I really don't like what I see, then I normally give shows a bit of time - at least a full season usually.

Yea, I can see that. I feel like there have been shows that I gave up on early on, but I don't remember which ones. They must have been really bad though.
Voyager. Though I came back in around season 3 or 4, and now consider it very good-excellent. I think I might have given up on TNG, as well, only to return later once they got their shit together.

This brings up a good point, though. We're basing our opinions of this on what was essentially Encounter at Farpoint.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2017, 08:56:18 AM »
That is exactly why I'm forgiving on first episodes of scifi shows. It takes time for a show to find its feet. Even if every episode is of this same quality, I'd continue to watch The Orville though.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2017, 10:09:50 AM »

For me it's normally a case of "yeah, that's not really for me". Like Blob, if the general premise is something I think I might enjoy, I'll normally give it a fair shot for a while.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2017, 01:59:35 PM »
Yea. It was okay. That's a good word. I expected complete trash and it wasn't that.

Unlike Marvel, it doesn't have my loyalty. So even though I'm going to force myself to watch the entirety of Inhumans because of that loyalty, Orville could lose me relatively quickly if they stay as bland as they are.

You can get that much out of a single episode that is basically a set up for the show?  If that was the case I would have never watched TNG.

These are different times man. I have a ton of shows I'm watching. Back in the day you just watched a few shows at their specific times. Now adays? If a show doesn't seem good enough, and doesn't have my loyalty, I move on. It is what it is.

Though I like Seth, and the people involved, so I'm giving it a good number of episodes to judge.

IDK , I watched way to many shows in my lifetime! :lol

Even back then.  The weird thing is back then it was appointment TV. You'd have to watch TV because the show is playing only at that time. Now we stream it, we DVR it.
 Maybe that makes it easy to say I want to move on to something else.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2017, 07:17:49 PM »
I liked the first episode, and seeing that Seth brought Brannon Braga on leads me to believe that the show won't go too wacky.  I really hope Fox, who has a tendency to pull the plug quickly, gives this sci-fi/comedy hybrid time to come into its own, and people give it a chance.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2017, 08:18:22 PM »
Tonights episode (the 2nd of the series) was ok. Nothing ground breaking, but the end "pay-off" was excellent!
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline jammindude

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2017, 09:24:12 PM »
Considering that I was expecting "Family Guy in Space"....this series has shocked me. 

No, it's not earth shattering or ground breaking, but it gets the basics of character development, heart, and story just right.  And let's face it, the majority of shows out there are lacking at striking that balance.   So to have it come from such an unlikely source is surprising to me. 

It's basic, but it's perfect.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2017, 12:16:02 AM »
I liked the first episode, and seeing that Seth brought Brannon Braga on leads me to believe that the show won't go too wacky.  I really hope Fox, who has a tendency to pull the plug quickly, gives this sci-fi/comedy hybrid time to come into its own, and people give it a chance.
What? I don't recall Fox ever prematurely canceling a sci-fi/comedy hybrid.

Sounds gorram ridiculous.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 01:40:53 AM »
I enjoyed the second episode. A lot of good character moments, and a classic scifi story. I've watched enough scifi that I instantly figured it was a zoo, and I'd bet Seth got the idea from the Twilight Zone episode. Not a bad place to mine for stories.
I see they've finally settled on Alara having eyebrows. All of the promo pics had eyebrows, but the first episode didn't, and now she has eyebrows. I guess they changed their mind after the first episode and Photoshopped them into the promo stuff. A lot of other great practical aliens in this episode too, including the big guy in the zoo.
Just like Star Trek, they've got a mess hall. I'm seeing a pattern of the ship getting destroyed a lot. :lol
I liked the solution at the end with trading for reality TV.
The twist with the baby being female seemed out of nowhere for now, so I hope there's some good explanation for that next week, where I assume we'll see more of them.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:47:01 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2017, 02:32:40 AM »
I haven't seen episode 2 yet, but my thoughts on the first episode were - this is bland.   To be honest I didn't really get what it was trying to be, is it a Star Trek Homage or a Spoof?   The humour (which I thought was weak) was the most jarring with the tone, and I honestly can't see myself sticking with this show if it going to continue with this style of comedy.   But if you remove the comedy, everything else was bland and lightweight- characters, effects, story. 

If I want to watch a genuinely funny Sci-Fi I'll watch Red Dwarf or Futurama. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2017, 04:04:26 AM »
The thing is, tonally it's very similar. I love those two shows, and I'm digging The Orville a lot as well so far. It's a strange hybrid that I think a lot of people don't get, or perhaps just weren't expecting going in (given that it's from Seth McFarlane).

Second episode was a lot of fun, and yeah I enjoyed the ending. :lol

A lot of other great practical aliens in this episode too, including the big guy in the zoo.
That big creature looked like Willem Dafoe.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2017, 04:11:09 AM »
A lot of other great practical aliens in this episode too, including the big guy in the zoo.
That big creature looked like Willem Dafoe.

Oh shit, it does too. :lol

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2017, 04:52:51 AM »
The thing is, tonally it's very similar. I love those two shows, and I'm digging The Orville a lot as well so far. It's a strange hybrid that I think a lot of people don't get, or perhaps just weren't expecting going in (given that it's from Seth McFarlane).

I didn't really have any expectations, I not really aware of Seth McFarlane, never seen any of his stuff before.  The problem I had with the comedy was simply it didn't fit the tone of the show (in my opinion).   Red Dwarf, Futurama & Rick Morty the comedy works because the theses show are clearly 'comedies' and the style of humour matches the tone.  On the Orville so far we had some juvenile jokes in a semi-serious attempt at a space opera - for me that was to jarring, also a lot of the jokes for me fell flat anyway.

It was only the first episode so I'm willing to give it more of a chance, just for first impressions I was left a bit underwhelmed.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2017, 05:59:51 AM »
I haven't seen episode 2 yet, but my thoughts on the first episode were - this is bland.   To be honest I didn't really get what it was trying to be, is it a Star Trek Homage or a Spoof?   The humour (which I thought was weak) was the most jarring with the tone, and I honestly can't see myself sticking with this show if it going to continue with this style of comedy.   But if you remove the comedy, everything else was bland and lightweight- characters, effects, story. 

Totally agree with this assessment. Haven't seen Ep 2 yet.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2017, 06:55:35 AM »

I didn't really have any expectations, I not really aware of Seth McFarlane, never seen any of his stuff before.  The problem I had with the comedy was simply it didn't fit the tone of the show (in my opinion).   Red Dwarf, Futurama & Rick Morty the comedy works because the theses show are clearly 'comedies' and the style of humour matches the tone.  On the Orville so far we had some juvenile jokes in a semi-serious attempt at a space opera - for me that was to jarring, also a lot of the jokes for me fell flat anyway.

It was only the first episode so I'm willing to give it more of a chance, just for first impressions I was left a bit underwhelmed.

This is why you don't understand the tone of the show.  I think the comedy is understated compared to other Mcfarlane vehicles.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2017, 08:22:34 AM »
It's just a damn weird show to try and figure out. I honestly don't think it'll make it, just because nobody really knows what it's trying to be. In the end I enjoyed last nights episode once it got rollin, but it took a while. The other problem is that a lot of the jokes really fell flat. It makes up for those with the ones that hit, some of which are great, but there are still some groaners in there.

I like some of the differences from regular ST. The girl freaking out when put in command must really happen, but in the ST world everybody's flawless, so they always step up and do a fantastic job. Sometimes outrageously so. It was good to see somebody suck. I also liked the casual attitude towards drugs and alcohol in their future. Another huge departure from Roddenberry's world, where they won't even drink real beer.

The doctor seems terribly out of place. She seems like she's supposed to be the straight character, but plenty of others already fit into that category.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2017, 07:09:55 PM »
Not a bad episode. 2nd half was way better.

Yea, I think my main problem is how many jokes fall flat and what kind of jokes they are. The good jokes are great but the bad ones are just bottom of the barrel stuff and they're better than that. I think if they got a good editor to go into the scripts and just delete the obviously awful jokes about tummy aches from daddy, it would be good. Maybe pull a Mel Brooks and film 4 hour episodes and then just cut out the crappy 3 hours or whatever.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2017, 08:15:09 PM »
Two episodes in guys it's too hard to decide if it's going to make it or not. So many great series like Seinfeld were never going to make it if we went by the first season. and to me it's
 obviously better than Seinfeld's first a season so let's hang in there.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2017, 10:43:32 PM »
Agree with Adami, second half of the episode was not bad at all.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2017, 02:43:31 PM »
Episode 3 on Thursday night (if you don't watch it 'On Demand').

We are giving it a try.  I was hoping for B+, but so far it's more C-.  Not sure of Seth as Captain, the whole infidelity thing was old in the first episode, and downright tiresome in episode 2.  We know the helmsmen will always provide a smart axe comment when on screen.  A doctor as a Lt. Commander, who actually has to take charge for a spell?  Ok, I'm getting nit-picky.

We've seen all the 'gadgets' other than a transporter.  We're assuming this doesn't exist in Union technology.

Just not sure where McFarlane wants to go with this.  It has some good and clever moments, but there is no drama, and the cast is small.  I always wanted ST:TNG to have a 'Hill Street Blues' type of cast, so that there are 'shifts', meaning different shift commanders and staff, providing for many personalities, as well as one doesn't know who could possibly 'disappear' from week to week.  How these humanoids stay awake 24/7 is quite a feat.

I just read where Jonathan Frakes is going to direct one of the 13 episodes.  Oh, dear.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2017, 04:24:16 PM »
Why oh deer to Jonathan Frakes?  he's actually a very good director. Most shows don't come out firing on all cylinders in the first few episodes. So we give it a season 2 to the really see if it grows as a series.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2017, 05:07:12 PM »
Why oh deer to Jonathan Frakes?  he's actually a very good director.
My thought, as well. Tom Paris is also directing one, and he was also quite good directing. Personally, I think it's interesting that they're getting plenty of ST guys, while the trainwreck that is STD has none of the original talent involved at all. Everybody they brought in rage-quit or got fired.
E.F. Benson

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2017, 05:26:47 PM »
I guess I can't get the ending of 'Enterprise' out of my head.

Just read his credits for directing.  Pretty impressive.  As long as he doesn't have the cast tug their shirts down, or lean to one side while walking, I'll keep an open mind. ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2017, 09:01:39 PM »
Finally got to see the second episode.  I'd heard that the original broadcast on Sunday was delayed by the football game, and our DVR doesn't usually account for stuff like that, so I just waited to catch it on demand.

I liked it.  Yeah, some of the jokes were bad, but there were more hits than misses, the sci-fi was pretty good, and the story was pretty good.  Somewhat predictable, but the ending twist was fun.

I'm still digging it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2017, 09:38:35 PM »
I think the funniest part of the show is how astoundingly humorless Bortus is. It's not like he's Spock or Data. He's emotional. He just has zero sense of humor. His stoic reactions to things always makes me laugh.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2017, 09:40:43 PM »
I think the funniest part of the show is how astoundingly humorless Bortus is. It's not like he's Spock or Data. He's emotional. He just has zero sense of humor. His stoic reactions to things always makes me laugh.

Yes. He's Worf.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2017, 09:47:22 PM »
Yeah, I guess that is what they were going for there. Worf had a sense of humor, though. He was just always serious. Bortus doesn't seem that way to me.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2017, 09:48:23 PM »
Yeah, I guess that is what they were going for there. Worf had a sense of humor, though. He was just always serious. Bortus doesn't seem that way to me.

It's been two episodes. I assure you by the end of the season he'll do one of those awful jokes that gets a huge laugh simply because no one expected it.

Like when Greyworm made an awful humorless joke, but everyone fell over laughing because it was Greyworm.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »
No idea who Greyworm was, but you're probably right. At least Worf was actually pretty funny when he wanted to be.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2017, 09:56:57 PM »
No idea who Greyworm was, but you're probably right. At least Worf was actually pretty funny when he wanted to be.

He's the Worf on Game of Thrones.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2017, 12:52:00 AM »
Why oh deer to Jonathan Frakes?  he's actually a very good director.
My thought, as well. Tom Paris is also directing one, and he was also quite good directing. Personally, I think it's interesting that they're getting plenty of ST guys, while the trainwreck that is STD has none of the original talent involved at all. Everybody they brought in rage-quit or got fired.

Speaking of Worf, Michael Dorn got offered some ridiculously low sum to guest on the show but turned it down. Imagine how bad the amount must have been for Michael Dorn to turn it down. :lol
I like that The Orville is picking up a lot of these Trek people. It certainly feels a lot more authentic Trek than STD is. I actually ended up muting the Star Trek account on Twitter because I couldn't take them trying to pass off that trainwreck as real Trek. :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2017, 01:40:50 AM »
He's my favourite character so far.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2017, 05:14:31 AM »
Christ on a Bike the first 10 minutes of episode 2 was the worst 10 minutes of TV I've seen for years, terrible, terrible jokes that just kept going and repeating themselves - then just when you think it can't get any worse, the his parents turn up and it gets worse we get 'awkward' conversation humour........ouch.   The rest of the episode picked up somewhat (It really couldn't get any worse to be honest).   Man this show is a mess,  either annoying as fuck or just plain boring - I think I'm out,  I honestly can't see how Discovery can be any worse than this, at least it won't try and be funny