Author Topic: Delayed/lost luggage: Anybody have experience?  (Read 3565 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Delayed/lost luggage: Anybody have experience?
« on: June 01, 2017, 06:30:48 PM »
I got back from a Transatlantic trip on Tuesday, and not too surprisingly, my luggage did not arrive with me (I only had 15 minutes between flights and had to run through the airport).
I filled out a form with Swissport who handle these things, but it is now Thursday evening, and I have not heard anything about my luggage. The website I can supposedly check hasn't even acknowledged the existence of the luggage. Note that there've been two more flights since then on that route, so they had ample time to get the luggage over the ocean.

I filed a complaint with AirBerlin now and will try to get whatever EU law allows me to get here, because the handling is piss poor by AirBerlin.

Does anyone have experience with this kid of thing? I do know that filing the complaint within 7 days is important, so that should be taken care of. But I also expect that the airline will drag their feet as much as they can, and I don't want to give them the opportunity to weasel themselves out.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Bruinsfan25

Re: Delayed/lost luggage: Anybody have experience?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 05:02:24 AM »
When I flew back to the US from Finland on British Airways, I had 2 stops in Helsinki and London. My layovers were about an hour or so and my luggage didn't get on my last flight. Once I touched down in Boston and turned off airplane mode I immediately got an email telling me about the delay. Once I got through customs I went to the British Airways desk, told them what color my luggage was and the next morning it was at my door. They emailed me updates that night and the next morning when it arrived. Not sure if any of that helps other than to say it got to my house relatively quickly.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 05:33:53 AM »
I had an experience with lost luggage once. I was on a road trip to California. On the way back my friend and father picked me up at the bus station, but my bag was not on the bus. I went to the lost luggage area and as the employee walked through the doors to help me I could see my luggage passing on the carousel. I pointed to it and told him that was mine and he proceeded to tell me it wasn't. I know my bag. It's exceedingly distinct. Ten minutes later he came out with that bag and just looked at me. I said, "I thought  this wasn't mine." I proceeded to say this seven times until he got the hint and apologized. Jackass.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 06:22:35 AM »
After getting delayed for nearly 14 hours in Florida, they stuck me on a first class seat (only seat open on the plane) to get me home. It was much appreciated, but my bags went to Washington for some reason. They somehow managed to get my luggage on my doorstep in about 16 hours. I was impressed.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 07:11:46 AM by Chino »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 07:06:49 AM »
Boy do I have a long story.  I'll have to type it out tonight though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 07:20:56 AM »
We're on day 3 without luggage now, and the status on the tracking website has changed to "ITEM LOCATED, PENDING CONFIRMATION". Absolutely unacceptable. What if Boston had not been my final destination?

Offline PB1

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 08:44:38 AM »
I've literally never had lost luggage. Maybe you had something illegal/suspicous in your bag?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 09:00:18 AM »
Nope. How the delayed luggage came about is actually understandable in itself. My first connecting flight was delayed due to weather, so it actually touched down about 5 minutes after the flight to Boston was supposed to have taken off. They waited with that flight, but I had to run through the airport to catch it. They just didn't have time to get the luggage off the connecting flight and into the next plane.
So, that part to me is understandable. But, there've been now 3 flights of the same route since then, which means they had ample opportunity to put my luggage on a plane.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 09:12:04 AM »
I don't, but I do have experience locating mandolin strings in the middle of Austin.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 11:49:17 AM »
BA recently lost a friends luggage (2 bags) for 6 days. She had one dress to wear for 6 days worth of meetings in London. 30 minutes before she was to depart the hotel for her return trip back to the US, her bags were delivered. When flying to the UK, I typically fly BA, or VA because horror stories such as these rarely happen with them.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 12:45:56 PM »
I finally got my luggage today, after 4 days. I have little hope I will get any compensation, the guy who dropped off the luggage said "yeah, we almost dropped AirBerlin from our list, they stopped paying their bills".

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 05:25:00 AM »
Boy do I have a long story.  I'll have to type it out tonight though.

For all involved in reading it, can I proofread it first?