Author Topic: New Dream Theater Album - In The Studio Next Year  (Read 14173 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: New Dream Theater Album - In The Studio Next Year
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2017, 06:56:52 PM »
But JLB's strengths are soft ballads now, listen to live performances :)

Honestly though. Wait For Sleep made me legit cry this tour and I don't cry easily

That's not to say I don't want a heavy album. I do love TOT and would be interested in a "sequel"

But even on Train of Thought, James' best performance was on Vacant.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2017, 08:56:54 PM »
But JLB's strengths are soft ballads now, listen to live performances :)

Honestly though. Wait For Sleep made me legit cry this tour and I don't cry easily

That's not to say I don't want a heavy album. I do love TOT and would be interested in a "sequel"

But even on Train of Thought, James' best performance was on Vacant.

I actually think TOT is his worst studio vocal performance. But by SC I think he had figured out how to sing that sort of material. Not that I expect such a thing, but it would be awesome to hear an album with a lot of vocals like those on the BCSL Stargazer cover. I think he's got some of that left in him.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2017, 08:40:56 AM »
Jeez, I really hope they don't try to do another ToT. :lol   DT probably isn't going back to being super experimental (ala the days of SFAM and 6DOIT) but it would be nice to see them try some new things. I feel like the last handful of albums haven't really pushed any boundaries musically.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2017, 05:32:28 AM »
You mean something like Awake?  ;)

Yep... but just not re-making it  :lol

I concur.

Heavy is fine, but I hope this is a friendlier album for JLB.

I concur. They can't keep accelerating his waning vocal strength. This I & W tour is probably exceedingly stressful (vocal-wise) for him.

Adapting the songs to his darker voice at the second leg of the tour helped a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaw_9rel1nA

If they write melody lines that really fit his voice for the next album there won't be problems with JLBs vocal strength imo.

I'm watching that now. I like the adjustments he made on the song. Instead of trying to go higher, and have it sound dreadfully flat, he lowered those parts. If he could get the melody more in key for that, it would sound great.

I'm hoping for something with the heaviness and darkness of Awake. The mood on that album makes it something unique from anything else they've ever done except maybe Train of Thought.

The mood on Awake makes it unique and still sounds amazing! I think one of the main reasons was Kevin's more atmospheric/dark approach to keyboards on that album.

I don't think they could ever duplicate that.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2017, 08:40:43 AM »
I know it's ludicrous and heresy, but I would love a one-song collaboration with KM.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2017, 09:13:30 AM »
I know it's ludicrous and heresy, but I would love a one-song collaboration with KM.

I would love to see that too! Maybe not a full song co-writing, but at least he could write lyrics for a song, like he did for the previous Fates Warning album. Any kind of KM collab. would be fine  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Evai

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2017, 09:25:49 AM »
Maybe Space-Dye-Jeans. Then socks. A KM EP dedicated to all parts of the wardrobe :)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2017, 09:30:52 AM »
KILL THE HERETIC

Nah it would be cool to see something like that. I actually love the idea of having a handful of collaborations with ex-members like Portnoy, Sherinian. Probably mainly just those three actually... :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2017, 09:35:09 AM »
That would be cool, there is just probably no chance it happens.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2017, 11:39:40 AM »
I know i'm not alone in not wanting MP anywhere near DT for the remainder of their career.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2017, 11:47:18 AM »
I know i'm not alone in not wanting MP anywhere near DT for the remainder of their career.

Definitely not. I am so tired of the MM vs MP conversation. Like it's been seven years. Let it go
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2017, 11:56:48 AM »
Not even with comparing the two..

Just - if MP was "allowed" to collaborate with DT again - even if it was just a song - you know he'd be all over social media like " back where I belong ! " and all this...

And his fanboys being all " welcome back MP ! ".

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2017, 12:16:27 PM »
I feel deep down inside of you, you know KM is the best lyricist of DT and want him back somehow (maybe not a player but like a composer)  :biggrin:

I like the idea. He is my favourite DT musician along with LaBrie. Having his lyrics or touch on upcoming DT would be great.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2017, 12:29:12 PM »
I feel deep down inside of you, you know KM is the best lyricist of DT and want him back somehow (maybe not a player but like a composer) 

I can respect that opinion.  But as for me, no, I would not by any stretch agree that he was the best lyricist.  Not at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2017, 12:31:11 PM »
I feel deep down inside of you, you know KM is the best lyricist of DT and want him back somehow (maybe not a player but like a composer) 

I can respect that opinion.  But as for me, no, I would not by any stretch agree that he was the best lyricist.  Not at all.

Neither would I. I actually found him very hit and miss, and the hits don't make up for the misses.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2017, 12:44:17 PM »

Neither would I. I actually found him very hit and miss, and the hits don't make up for the misses.
That's a good way of putting it in terms of being consistent with how I view things as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2017, 01:29:31 PM »
I don't listen to DT for the lyrics.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2017, 01:57:44 PM »

This. Kev would be great as a great lyricist or co-writer for a song or two, but MP? Hell no.

Not even with comparing the two..

Just - if MP was "allowed" to collaborate with DT again - even if it was just a song - you know he'd be all over social media like " back where I belong ! " and all this...

And his fanboys being all " welcome back MP ! ".

Completely agree.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2017, 02:46:24 PM »
I wasn't even so much referring to KM's lyrics. He developed a really unique musical style over the years, I feel it would be an interesting collaboration musically.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2017, 05:27:03 AM »

I like JR's lyrics best.

Besides, "best" lyricist is such a vague laurel.

Online Skeever

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »
I would rank them something like

1. Earlier Petrucci
2. Kevin Moore
3. Portnoy
4. Myung
5. Later Petrucci
6. LaBrie

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2017, 01:38:09 PM »
I like JR's lyrics best.

They're very diverse  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2017, 01:42:31 PM »
He is an eccentric individual. I can imagine his lyrics being exceedingly obscure. I wonder if he actually does write at all or journal or something.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2017, 01:48:56 PM »
He is an eccentric individual. I can imagine his lyrics being exceedingly obscure. I wonder if he actually does write at all or journal or something.

I remember a few different interviews where he was asked about writing lyrics/singing backing vocals for DT and for both cases he said something like that's not something the bad expects him to do, so he just never did it. Would be really cool if he started writing lyrics for DT.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2017, 01:54:47 PM »
I'd love to hear what rattles around his head.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2017, 01:59:30 PM »
The dude has written lyrics. At least on Rhythm of Time, there's two songs that have his lyrics.

They're okay. Not bad. Not really memorable, but fine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2017, 02:27:59 PM »
I liked The Astonishing but I'm so fuckin ready for JP to stop producing and I so fuckin ready for him to ask the others to contribute more to the arrangements of songs and the construct of the album instead of just getting musical bits and pieces of ideas from them in jam sessions.
I think JP's creative vision needs a long recharging break, an album cycle would probably do just fine.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2017, 05:43:24 AM »
I still wish on all the unicorns and four-leaf clovers in the world that Steven Wilson produces one of their albums.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2017, 02:24:28 PM »
... I'm so fuckin ready for JP to stop producing and I so fuckin ready for him to ask the others to contribute more to the arrangements of songs and the construct of the album instead of just getting musical bits and pieces of ideas from them in jam sessions.
I think JP's creative vision needs a long recharging break, an album cycle would probably do just fine.

So much this.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2017, 08:46:46 PM »
I still wish on all the unicorns and four-leaf clovers in the world that Steven Wilson produces one of their albums.

I'm just hoping that Petrucci accidentally trips over Steven and gets into an argument about the drum sound on ADTOE  :biggrin:
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2017, 08:56:47 PM »
I just don't see the SW thing happening at all, for what I know, they guy isn't that easy to work with, and he doesn't even like DT. Sounds impossible to me.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2017, 11:07:42 PM »
I just don't see the SW thing happening at all, for what I know, they guy isn't that easy to work with, and he doesn't even like DT. Sounds impossible to me.

Maybe, maybe not...

Steven might force Petrucci to write a sequel to the Astonishing where Nafaryus laments the death of Faythe, in a real world alternate universe where magic doesn't exist, meaning that Gabriel wasn't capable of saving her. Gabriel is revealed to be a replicant of sorts and goes through an existential of what it means to be human and Arabelle breaks up with Nafaryus, causing further depression. Also the Nomacs kill everyone at the end...  :'(
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2017, 11:09:22 PM »

Maybe, maybe not...

Steven might force Petrucci to write a sequel to the Astonishing where Nafaryus laments the death of Faythe, in a real world alternate universe where magic doesn't exist, meaning that Gabriel wasn't capable of saving her. Gabriel is revealed to be a replicant of sorts and goes through an existential of what it means to be human and Arabelle breaks up with Nafaryus, causing further depression. Also the Nomacs kill everyone at the end...  :'(

So that picture is pretty fantastic.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2017, 05:39:09 AM »

Maybe, maybe not...

That's an awesome photo!! :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2017, 08:21:30 AM »
I like the "Progue One" pic much more  :biggrin: :lol