Author Topic: New Dream Theater Album - In The Studio Next Year  (Read 14174 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
New Dream Theater Album - In The Studio Next Year
« on: May 30, 2017, 05:41:33 AM »
Besides mentioning his upcoming solo album, JLB makes a few comments about the next Dream Theater album.

https://www.rockbook.hu/hirek/2018-were-gonna-make-new-album-james-labrie-interview

Offline BelichickFan

Re: New Dream Theater Album - In The Studio Next Year
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 09:00:51 AM »
Guessing that means we'll see (hear) it in the latter part of 2018.  The Astonishing was released 1/16 so the normal two years would be 1/18.  I guess both the last two have been a little longer, self titled was 9/13 so if the new one is around 9/18 that's 5 years for two as opposed to the usual 4 years.  A little longer but not bad (especially as 5 years feels like 4 the older I get).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 11:28:23 AM »
January 30th ish for the astonishing.

I'm guessing around 2.5 years so smack bang in the middle of summer next  year is my guess.

Although they have been touring a lot - so maybe September time is more plausible.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 12:19:07 PM »
The extra touring for Images and Words threw off their regular routine.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 01:33:37 PM »
For what they've said on a few different interviews, I think their plan is to tour for the IAW untill the end of the year, take a couple months off (definitely around the holidays) and enter the studio in maybe Jan. of Feb. 2018. After that, it all depends on how much time they take to write, record, mix, etc. the new album. I think we can expect it to drop around September or maybe a couple weeks before that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 01:34:56 PM »
For what they've said on a few different interviews, I think their plan is to tour for the IAW untill the end of the year, take a couple months off (definitely around the holidays) and enter the studio in maybe Jan. of Feb. 2018. After that, it all depends on how much time they take to write, record, mix, etc. the new album. I think we can expect it to drop around September or maybe a couple weeks before that.
That's what they did for self titled, right ?  Started right after the holidays.  And that was a September release.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 01:40:57 PM »
That's what they did for self titled, right ?  Started right after the holidays.  And that was a September release.

Yeah, that was the case for DT12 and, IIRC, for ADTOE as well, and both were released in September.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 01:41:47 PM »
It nearly always takes three to four months to release an album after mastering these days.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 05:44:36 PM »
I really hope that it sounds nothing like anything they've done before, that'd be real treat!  :hefdaddy
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 12:29:18 AM »
Next Year? *Pouts in the corner*  :yeahright
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 07:24:31 AM »
Next Year? *Pouts in the corner*  :yeahright

It's only been 16 months.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 08:39:22 AM »
Personally, I think revisiting Images will be good for them leading into writing a new record. There's something special in that record that they've really never replicated. I'm not sure whether it has just been natural evolution, or missing Kev Mo, but it's just such a brilliant record from start to finish. I hope some of the subtlety of it finds its way into the next DT record.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 08:43:00 AM »
Or would they want to avoid making anything that could be considered inspired by Images after playing it for weeks on end?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 08:46:38 AM »
Or would they want to avoid making anything that could be considered inspired by Images after playing it for weeks on end?

Maybe. Who knows? Again, most people here are much more fond of post-FII Dream Theater than me.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 08:47:33 AM »
Personally, I think revisiting Images will be good for them leading into writing a new record. There's something special in that record that they've really never replicated. I'm not sure whether it has just been natural evolution, or missing Kev Mo, but it's just such a brilliant record from start to finish. I hope some of the subtlety of it finds its way into the next DT record.

I think a lot of fans would say that's what they tried to do with ADTOE.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 11:52:05 AM »
One of my all-time favorite bands, Amorphis, did a tour in support of an early classic of theirs a couple of years back. The album that they wrote following that tour, Under the Red Cloud, ended up being perhaps their best ever. Here's hoping that the inspiration of playing Images and Words every night has a similar affect on Dream Theater's next album. :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 12:01:43 PM »

Perhaps, but it sure didn't work. Missing a lot of soul in that record. But again, it's all subjective, so it makes no difference.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »

Perhaps, but it sure didn't work. Missing a lot of soul in that record. But again, it's all subjective, so it makes no difference.

Wait, I'm confused. You said you hoped they revisit I&W (to some degree) when creating the new record. I said a lot of fans feel that's what they did with ADTOE (the similarities have been noted to death here, but holistically it's considered DT rooting themselves back in their origins to a degree to put out something to unite the base after MP jumped). And then you said no, not like that, you didn't like it?  :lol

Why not just say you want DT to put something out you like? That seems to be what you're saying which is totally cool and obviously makes sense, I want them to put out a record I like too. I'd definitely argue ADTOE is similar in a lot of ways to I&W and not in the weird conspiracy ways about jacking song structures, I think the similarities are more in the style and types of songs, the mood, the emotion, and the subtlety (like you mentioned).

Offline gm5k

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 12:53:13 PM »
Didn't JP mention in a recent interview (I think it was the Andertons one) that they're looking to make a particularly heavy album this time?  Feels like we might be getting ToT the Mangini edition.  JP's even considering using an 8 string on the upcoming album.  I'm pretty pumped about the idea.  Just hope they stay creative as well and don't play it too safe with the songwriting. 

Even though the reception to TA wasn't amazing, I feel it had some of the most creative sections I'd heard from DT since Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.  I'd like them to keep that going even if it's going to be a very metal album.

TGP I think is the perfect example of really creative metal DT.  Damn I'd love to hear some new stuff like that.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 01:05:57 PM by gm5k »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 01:09:50 PM »
Didn't JP mention in a recent interview (I think it was the Andertons one) that they're looking to make a particularly heavy album this time? 

Yup

Offline Skeever

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 01:14:54 PM »
Heavy is fine, but I hope this is a friendlier album for JLB.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 02:59:10 PM »
Hopefully JLB can sing lower on it if it's gonna be detuned heavy stuff.

Plus it will be easier to pull off live too.

Play to his strengths.

Offline Evai

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 03:35:03 PM »
But JLB's strengths are soft ballads now, listen to live performances :)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 05:41:24 AM »

I concur. They can't keep accelerating his waning vocal strength. This I & W tour is probably exceedingly stressful (vocal-wise) for him.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 06:09:03 AM »
I really hope that it sounds nothing like anything they've done before, that'd be real treat!  :hefdaddy

I'm hoping for something with the heaviness and darkness of Awake. The mood on that album makes it something unique from anything else they've ever done except maybe Train of Thought.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 06:19:15 AM »
I'm hoping for something with the heaviness and darkness of Awake.

Hence why it's my favorite DT album, it's full of such emotionally deep and seriously very personal themes. It's a really mature album (and things like mental illness are portrayed more horrifically than SDOIT for instance)

The mood on that album makes it something unique from anything else they've ever done except maybe Train of Thought.

Definitely, though TOT does kinda have the prog OCD we love from them which sort of compromises that heaviness a lot of the time.

If they wrote an album that was very emotionally serious and not masked in a melodramatic concept, they could pull something very powerful  :hefdaddy

(perhaps they could take some cues from Devin Townsend and start singing songs about being old and grayhaired  :lol )
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2017, 06:28:44 AM »
I'm hoping for something with the heaviness and darkness of Awake.

Hence why it's my favorite DT album, it's full of such emotionally deep and seriously very personal themes. It's a really mature album (and things like mental illness are portrayed more horrifically than SDOIT for instance)

It's number three for me - after I&W and Six Degrees. The lyrical content of Awake is their best. I think it's even better than Images and Metropolis 2.

The mood on that album makes it something unique from anything else they've ever done except maybe Train of Thought.

Definitely, though TOT does kinda have the prog OCD we love from them which sort of compromises that heaviness a lot of the time.

If they wrote an album that was very emotionally serious and not masked in a melodramatic concept, they could pull something very powerful  :hefdaddy

(perhaps they could take some cues from Devin Townsend and start singing songs about being old and grayhaired  :lol )

You mean something like Awake?  ;)

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2017, 06:41:59 AM »
You mean something like Awake?  ;)

Yep... but just not re-making it  :lol
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2017, 06:47:28 AM »
Something like Awake would be really interesting at this point in their lives. They are all middle aged fathers with successful careers. Capturing that mood and vibe might be challenging, but it also might be cool.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 06:53:00 AM »
Something like Awake would be really interesting at this point in their lives. They are all middle aged fathers with successful careers. Capturing that mood and vibe might be challenging, but it also might be cool.

Yep, an album contemplating over life, raising a family, kids now adults, how hopes, dreams, marriages and priorities change; would be incredible to listen to
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2017, 09:51:55 AM »
Looking forward to the new JLB solo album.  That's good to hear.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline CB

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2017, 12:28:52 PM »

I concur. They can't keep accelerating his waning vocal strength. This I & W tour is probably exceedingly stressful (vocal-wise) for him.

Adapting the songs to his darker voice at the second leg of the tour helped a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaw_9rel1nA

If they write melody lines that really fit his voice for the next album there won't be problems with JLBs vocal strength imo.

Yep, an album contemplating over life, raising a family, kids now adults, how hopes, dreams, marriages and priorities change; would be incredible to listen to

I'd LOVE that. They have much mor life experience now, changed thoughts and opinions about things. Probably some dark experiences as well they never talked about in public.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2017, 01:45:26 PM »

Wait, I'm confused. You said you hoped they revisit I&W (to some degree) when creating the new record. I said a lot of fans feel that's what they did with ADTOE (the similarities have been noted to death here, but holistically it's considered DT rooting themselves back in their origins to a degree to put out something to unite the base after MP jumped). And then you said no, not like that, you didn't like it?  :lol

Why not just say you want DT to put something out you like? That seems to be what you're saying which is totally cool and obviously makes sense, I want them to put out a record I like too. I'd definitely argue ADTOE is similar in a lot of ways to I&W and not in the weird conspiracy ways about jacking song structures, I think the similarities are more in the style and types of songs, the mood, the emotion, and the subtlety (like you mentioned).

Nailed it.

I'm hoping for something with the heaviness and darkness of Awake. The mood on that album makes it something unique from anything else they've ever done except maybe Train of Thought.

The mood on Awake makes it unique and still sounds amazing! I think one of the main reasons was Kevin's more atmospheric/dark approach to keyboards on that album.

Hopefully JLB can sing lower on it if it's gonna be detuned heavy stuff.

I could be wrong, but I think they haven't done detuned heavy stuff since Black Clouds. Does anyone know why JP stopped using his baritone guitars after that? He's only used them recently on the ADTOE tour for These Walls and on the 2015 30th anniversary mini-tour for Panic Attack.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2017, 02:11:46 PM »

Adapting the songs to his darker voice at the second leg of the tour helped a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaw_9rel1nA

If they write melody lines that really fit his voice for the next album there won't be problems with JLBs vocal strength imo.

That's still a really rough performance, imo. But he definitely is doing some predetermined replacement melodies there that are working in his favor for sure.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2017, 02:34:40 PM »
But JLB's strengths are soft ballads now, listen to live performances :)

Honestly though. Wait For Sleep made me legit cry this tour and I don't cry easily

That's not to say I don't want a heavy album. I do love TOT and would be interested in a "sequel"
Seasons change and so can I