Author Topic: Electoral systems (FPTP vs PR vs whatever America has)  (Read 1686 times)

Offline ariich

• sexin' you later
  • Global Moderator
  • Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!
Re: Electoral systems (FPTP vs PR vs whatever America has)
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2017, 02:40:06 AM »
re: British election I found this to be very entertaining and informative

https://youtu.be/dVbC0jASJYA
Very entertaining for sure, and mostly accurate in terms of the facts but with a huge pro-Corbyn bias, so take some of the narrative with a pinch of salt.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2017, 06:05:50 AM »
re: British election I found this to be very entertaining and informative

https://youtu.be/dVbC0jASJYA
Very entertaining for sure, and mostly accurate in terms of the facts but with a huge pro-Corbyn bias, so take some of the narrative with a pinch of salt.

Well yes I understood it was pro corbyn and the guy wasn't hiding from that.  But part of his point was how much Corbyn had been misrepresented, especially by interests who feel threatened by those ideas i.e. Murdoch & Newscorp

p.s.  It also felt very relevant to our situation in Canda or in my province of Québec,  living under similar parliamentary system where the left is also fragmented in multiple parties sharing smilar ideas and the conservatives falling more in line.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 06:15:46 AM by XeRocks81 »

Offline ariich

• sexin' you later
  • Global Moderator
  • Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2017, 07:44:51 AM »
Yeah but I'm not convinced how much difference that really makes. The right-wing tabloids have a high readership but among people who already agree with them. And conversely, this bias allows hardcore Corbynites to claim that the whole media is biased against him, which similarly solidifies support amongst his own acolytes. So the net effect really isn't very significant in my opinion.

If anything, I think it let's him get away with incompetence and a manifesto that isn't credible because any criticisms are disregarded as anti-Corbyn bias, purely because he's not as completely awful as the tabloids make out.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2017, 08:01:16 AM »
Yeah but I'm not convinced how much difference that really makes. The right-wing tabloids have a high readership but among people who already agree with them. And conversely, this bias allows hardcore Corbynites to claim that the whole media is biased against him, which similarly solidifies support amongst his own acolytes. So the net effect really isn't very significant in my opinion.

If anything, I think it let's him get away with incompetence and a manifesto that isn't credible because any criticisms are disregarded as anti-Corbyn bias, purely because he's not as completely awful as the tabloids make out.

I'm certainly not trying to say Corbyn is beyond reproach, in fact what little exposure I've had leads
me to think he probably could never win a majority, much like I don't think Bernie could have won in the US either.   But some of those newspaper headlines were just bonkers.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2017, 10:41:05 AM »
Corbynites

This could easily be the name of a new alien race in Dr. Who
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ariich

• sexin' you later
  • Global Moderator
  • Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2017, 02:41:44 PM »
:lol