Author Topic: Any band that you like as a sole representative of a genre?  (Read 4180 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Any band that you like as a sole representative of a genre?
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2017, 11:50:00 AM »
Going waaaay out....

Old swing/jazz:  Benny Goodman.  Maybe it is because he was my mom's favorite musician.  Besides his talent, and all those who were part of his ensembles (Gene Krupa, anyone?), I have learned of what a 'revolutionary' he was.  I will often listen to his music, and think of how well a RnR lead guitar would fit in.

Blues:  Stevie Ray Vaughn.  Occasionally, I'll play a B.B. King or Joe Bonamassa track (his cover of Zep's 'Since I've Been Loving You' is amazing).  For all of the talented artists and musicianship, I just cannot listen to any other blues for more than a song or two.  Attended a couple of all day festivals decades ago, and wasn't sure whether to continue drinking too much beer, or slashing my wrists ;)

Hair/glitter:  Motley Crue.  Their 'best ofs' up through the entire 'Dr. Feelgood' album are listened to often.  Can't stand GnR, Poison, Cinderella, etc.

Grunge:  Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and some of Nirvana.  No, I didn't listen to a lot of their work, but I did not hate it as I did all the others.  The problem was the overplaying on the airwaves of Nirvana.  I could listen to their 'Unplugged' on a weekly basis, though.

Alternative:  REM, though I preferred their heavier stuff, and totally gave up on them when Billy Berry left (though their last two LPs harkened back to their glory days)

Mellow:  Not into all of the soft and cheese, but Carole King's 'Tapestry' and Dan Fogelberg's 'Netherlands' and 'Phoenix' get heavy early morning/late night listens.

Crooners:  Frank and Tony, nothing else.  Have come to really appreciate their talents over the past decade.  Sinatra's 'In The Wee Small Hours' is often credited as being the first concept album.  Bennett....at frickin' 90, he still has the pipes!!!!

Whatever category Dream Theater fits into:  not a fan of Iron Maiden (thought respected), Opeth, Trivium, Between The Buried And Me, Mastodon, Epica, etc...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:55:18 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2017, 06:29:46 PM »
Depeche Mode

I will do just about anything to avoid "Electronica" music, unless it's Depeche Mode. I will stop and listen to any of their output. I can't really even say why, it just always sounds so well thought out and they rarely fail to surprise me with an original rhythm or unique effect.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2017, 06:43:07 PM »
I'm always amazed when I see people talk about prog-metal and never mention Fates Warning. None of the genre happens without a heavy dose of Jim Matheos. In fact, considering my listening habits, and how they've evolved over the last few years. Fates Warning and Porcupine Tree are the only two acts that are prog-metal that I listen to anymore. Can I name each of these bands since they seem to inhabit different shades of the same spectrum?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Skeever

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2017, 06:55:33 PM »
Weezer if you're putting them in a class with Blink 182 and Green Day or if you're putting them in a class with Fallout Boy and Panic!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2017, 06:56:29 PM »
I'm always amazed when I see people talk about prog-metal and never mention Fates Warning. None of the genre happens without a heavy dose of Jim Matheos. In fact, considering my listening habits, and how they've evolved over the last few years. Fates Warning and Porcupine Tree are the only two acts that are prog-metal that I listen to anymore. Can I name each of these bands since they seem to inhabit different shades of the same spectrum?

I like Fates but I feel like their music has aged particularly poorly, especially anything with Arch.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2017, 07:15:37 PM »

I like Fates but I feel like their music has aged particularly poorly, especially anything with Arch.

I could understand that if you weren't into their first few albums. I'm not sure what your listening habits are, but I'm assuming that you might not be part of the fogey club like some of us that are floating around here are(TAC). I do consider the Arch/Matheos album to be part of FW's canon, and I'd think that that album might lend itself to a modern audience a little better than the early stuff.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again